User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2010, 07:09 PM   #1
GuiltyParty OP
drifter

Oddometer: 317
Thumb Worlds Most Dangerous Road - La Paz, Bolivia

Riding the Worlds Most Dangerous Road (Death Road) by mountain bike is a pretty standard thing to do when in La Paz…but who wants to do the standard thing when you can do it on a motorbike?! I’d been pining to get back on the bike since I left Australia and this was the perfect opportunity.
The plan was to hire a bike, a guide and find as much dirt as possible. I picked up the bike from “Motorcycle Tours Bolivia” and they quickly had me kitted out in all my gear and my soon to be thrashed XR400. I can’t recommend this company enough…superb

My guide said its not a good idea to ride down Death Road in the morning because of all the cyclists. Apparently a motorbike blatting past them at 80 clicks can distract them and send them over the edge Our route then was to ride from La Paz through a bunch of towns and tackle Death Road at the end of the day.

After a short burst through La Paz, as I adjusted to riding on the right, we were out of the city and bound for some dirt. From that point on it was dirt the whole way.

The majority of Bolivia is at altitude (above 3000 metres) so we meandered up, over and through big mountains all day on nice twisty roads.

My guide had a little lay-over when coming out of this little water crossing, blaming it on an orange peel. That only happens in cartoons buddy!

We flew through this town.

We stopped by this coca plantation, which the locals chew on to help with the effects of altitude (lack of breath, tiredness, headaches etc). Key ingredient in cocaine too. Thought I'd throw that in.

After lunch it was time for the 69km’s of Death Road goodness from Coroico to La Paz.

Here’s a few facts about Death Road taken from Wikipedia to paint the picture (Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yungas_Road).
“Upon leaving La Paz, the road first ascends to around 4,650 metres at La Cumbre Pass, before descending to 1,200 metres at the town of Coroico, transiting quickly from cool Altiplano terrain to rainforest as it winds through very steep hillsides and atop cliffs.

Because of the extreme dropoffs of at least 600 metres (2,000 ft), single-lane width – most of the road is no wider than 3.2 metres (10 ft) and lack of guard rails, the road is extremely dangerous. Further still, rain, fog and dust can make visibility precarious. In many places the road surface is muddy, and can loosen rocks from the road.

One of the local road rules specifies that the downhill driver never has the right of way and must move to the outer edge of the road. This forces fast vehicles to stop so that passing can be negotiated safely. Also, vehicles drive on the left, as opposed to the right like the rest of Bolivia. This gives a left hand drive vehicle's driver a better view over his outside wheel, making passing safer.

On 24 July 1983, a bus veered off the Yungas Road and into a canyon, killing more than 100 passengers in what is said to be Bolivia's worst road accident.

One estimate is that 200 to 300 travellers were killed yearly along the road”
I’ll let the pictures speak for themselves.

I survived!

From there we went up nice rocky roads to this spectacular view (at 4400 metres). Note the glaciers in the background. Truly an amazing country!

All in all an awesome day and just made me want to come back to South America and do it all by motorbike.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:18 PM   #2
TomTom63
Motorradfahrer

Oddometer: 1,621
Nice pictures. Definitely an adventure road
TomTom63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:35 PM   #3
the darth peach
eats crackers in bed

Oddometer: 11,397
Very nice.

the darth peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:46 PM   #4
BusyWeb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
BusyWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:15 PM   #5
VTbeemer
Traveler

Oddometer: 337
I am traveling to La PAz next month to begin my S American tour south.

What did it cost you to hire the bike and guide for the day trip to the Death Rd?

14' R1200GSW- 93' R100GS/PD- F650GS- 94' R11RS
08' WR250R- 95 R100R- K75s- 57' R69
77' R75/7- 06' Ducati S4R Monster- 74' XL 250
VTbeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:59 AM   #6
Mr. Huero
HÖÖSK-ËË

Oddometer: 283
Thumb

Great pics, great story... thanks
Old 08-19-2010, 02:58 AM   #7
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,985
Awesome photos and wow,what a thrill it must have been to ride it !!

However,I`m a bit confused by the paragraph below....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiltyParty
One of the local road rules specifies that the downhill driver never has the right of way and must move to the outer edge of the road. This forces fast vehicles to stop so that passing can be negotiated safely. Also, vehicles drive on the left, as opposed to the right like the rest of Bolivia. This gives a left hand drive vehicle's driver a better view over his outside wheel, making passing safer.
Are you saying that,despite driving on the left,downhill vehicles must move to the right hand side of the road when giving way ?
As in,on the edge of the drop (looking at some photos with cliff to left when coming downhil)?

Also,I don`t quite follow what you say about the LHD vehicle driver having a better view of his outside wheel, making passing safer.....because if they are driving on the left,the overtaking vehicle will be passing the slower one on it`s right side and the overtaking driver will be on the wrong side of their vehicle for clear vision.

Rather like when I was in Europe (drive on right) on my UK sided Ural Combo (sidecar on the left) which made overtaking a bit difficult at times because of difficulies in seeing past the vehicle ahead.

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:42 AM   #8
LC8TY
must......find.......fuel

Oddometer: 2,297
Great stuff mate

Do you get a "I rode the Death Road and lived!" sticker at the end.
to hear the cannonball a roar'n!
LC8TY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:30 AM   #9
GuiltyParty OP
drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTbeemer
I am traveling to La PAz next month to begin my S American tour south.

What did it cost you to hire the bike and guide for the day trip to the Death Rd?

Hi VTbeemer, it was $200 for 9 hours of riding, all gear and insurance included. Very cheap considering it was $50 for a mountainbike with only 2 hours of riding

You're going to have so much fun in South America, especially around the Andes and Patagonia in the south of Argentina / Chile
Old 08-19-2010, 08:53 AM   #10
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,305
Tarka, I think what he is saying is the driver is on the left side a the car, the drop off is also on the left side of the road, and by him driving on the left side of the road he is able to better see how close to the drop off his wheels are.

Here in the Philippines yesterday, a bus going from Baguio to Bauang went over a cliff, killing 41 passengers.
YnotJP? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:55 AM   #11
GuiltyParty OP
drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarka

Are you saying that,despite driving on the left,downhill vehicles must move to the right hand side of the road when giving way ?
As in,on the edge of the drop (looking at some photos with cliff to left when coming downhil)?
Downhill vehicles must move to the left with the drop on their left (normally drive on the right with LHD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarka

Also,I don`t quite follow what you say about the LHD vehicle driver having a better view of his outside wheel, making passing safer.....because if they are driving on the left,the overtaking vehicle will be passing the slower one on it`s right side and the overtaking driver will be on the wrong side of their vehicle for clear vision.

Rather like when I was in Europe (drive on right) on my UK sided Ural Combo (sidecar on the left) which made overtaking a bit difficult at times because of difficulies in seeing past the vehicle ahead.

That bit was taken from Wikipedia, but what they mean by passing is one vehicle coming up the hill and the other down the hill. Regardless, the slower downhil vehicle will have stopped to the left of the road with clear vision of their left wheel and allowed the other to pass. The passing vehicle will then be against the cliff face and won't need the same sort of clear vision as the vehicle on the cliff edge. There are sections on the road where double lanes exist and passing is quite easy.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:34 AM   #12
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiltyParty
Downhill vehicles must move to the left with the drop on their left (normally drive on the right with LHD)

That bit was taken from Wikipedia, but what they mean by passing is one vehicle coming up the hill and the other down the hill. Regardless, the slower downhil vehicle will have stopped to the left of the road with clear vision of their left wheel and allowed the other to pass. The passing vehicle will then be against the cliff face and won't need the same sort of clear vision as the vehicle on the cliff edge. There are sections on the road where double lanes exist and passing is quite easy.

Thanks for your reply and explanations.

Rather similar to something I discovered about Italian lorries.... until recently they were RHD despite Italy driving on the right.
It meant the drivers could have the best possible view and judgement of the sheer drop off the Alpine passes.

Awesome report,and thanks again.

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:44 AM   #13
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
I remember when the Death Road didnt split and you had traffic going both ways..Too many people died on it so they decided to finally split the road in two. smart move.
TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:08 PM   #14
GuiltyParty OP
drifter

No problems Tarka

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallRob
I remember when the Death Road didnt split and you had traffic going both ways..Too many people died on it so they decided to finally split the road in two. smart move.
Oh yeah I should have mentioned that. As you say there is now a new, paved road that has taken a lot off the traffic of the old Death Road. Can see why!!! Still, there is traffic going both ways just nowhere near as much
Old 08-21-2010, 03:24 AM   #15
Lee Gunn
Thrilled to the CORE

Oddometer: 3,385
Talking

great story - omg - you are my new found hero

tEaM gUnN
Lee Gunn is offline   Reply With Quote