User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2010, 01:27 PM   #16
Toby0987 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
hit air jackets

I've heard the jackets lack the abrasion protection of the kevlar-otherwise they are the same as the vest. One adv guy said his hit jacket is not vented enough-but I see they have a mesh version-before I bought that I'd want to research the material for abrasion
Toby0987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:27 AM   #17
GSman of La Mancha
So!? My dog loves me...

Oddometer: 602
excellent review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby0987
Bought a Hit-Air vest today. I currently have a Hi-viz Motoport air mesh kevlar jacket with tri-armor. I ordered the vest from www.safermoto.com. Bought the hi-viz lightweight vest-came to 423.79 for the vest and xtra co2 cartridge. I chose the vest because I think Motoport has the best abrasion protection out there with the air mesh kevlar, but I am also concerned with impact protection. After wearing the motoport jacket I felt secure but am always open to something else. After researching a ton of other gear I decided to go with the hit-air vest. I was debating whether to go with quad armor in motoport or the vest. The vest won out hands down-the neck and back protection are outstanding.
John at safermoto was great to work with.
I took the vest out today for a test run-my main concern was that it was going to block the flow of my air mesh, but it didn't at all-in fact it helped grab some air in the back of the motoport jacket. I was a little concerned about the size of the co2 cylinder but it is not noticeable once you put the vest on. The instructions for attaching the tether to the bike were simple and easy to follow.
Pros
1. Lightweight, not noticeable, flows good air.
2. Hi-viz is super bright
3. Unparelled protection for the body core
4. Easy to use
5. No waiting to get it-unlike some protective gear
Cons
1. Expensive
2. No arm protection
3. Only a supplement to present armored jacket
4. Requires another step to attach yourself to the bike
5. Only good on chosen tethered bike
6. Vest hi-viz is diff color than motoport hi-viz
7. Co2 cartridge is on right rib cage-vest better deploy or I will b f'd up on that side
As you can see I really had to dig down to get cons. I will update on the combo as the riding season progresses (hopefully won't have to see either in action). My friend was in a mc accident last year and is recovering still-learning to walk again-who knows if this stuff would have done anything to help, but I know it wouldn't have hurt.
With this in mind, I love the combo of the motoport kevlar and the hit-air vest. Highly recommend them both (I plan to get quad armor for next year). If I had to go with one item of protective gear other than a helmet and one item only then I would have this vest (I can survive skinned armsand legs, but I really need that body core stuff).
Useful stuff this. I am gonna buy one.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:28 AM   #18
fiep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,918
back in the day Aprilia made dealers purchase an airbag vest with every Leo 125
of course no customer would go for it
so we had a number of those vests flopping around

forget to unhook from bike and they'd go off
no good as live vest, they'd drown you
kinda slow inflating, not one we deployed worked like shown in the video

newest generation sure is much, much better
still
no thanks
fiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:22 PM   #19
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
i went on safermoto's website gallery. I noticed that the y bikers at the track are using a short vest but they are have a long vest to sell. Was that a prototype or something they dont sell in the states?
TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:04 PM   #20
Toby0987 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
short vest/long vest

Not sure what the guys are wearing on the track. Safermoto sells a few different types of vests-I went with the newest MLV-Y vest. As far as I know there is no short or long version. Maybe the person that it goes on makes it look short? Anyway, I'm 5'11, 180lbs and went with the M-XL and it fits perfect over the jacket, with room for expansion if I decide down the line I want to send my stomach in to upgrade my belly fat to Walmart proportions
Toby0987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #21
Coachgeo
Diesel Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Anything new?

Got a good price on a Motorrad Jacket awhile back. At the time my bike was not finished. My bike is now coming together and Im wondering if I need a Summer jacket too or can the Motorrad vents handle summer riding too? Yes I searched. Have not found any reviews beside crash test testimonials.
Coachgeo is offline   Reply With Quote