Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2010, 01:13 PM   #16
Wildman OP
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyns
From Turku to Vaasa... It's gonna be flat. Turku and Naantali are quite beautiful in summer time. The road 8 is quite boring... maybe you should stay off it. If you are not in a hurry, get a GT map and try if you could use gravel roads instead. ( black thin lines on the map usually )
Thanks kyns! We'll see whether I get a good kip on the ferry. I'll have been working for two days in Stockholm which drains me a bit - full energy stuff - so maybe a tootle up the coast on a "boring" road is all that is needed. I've only got one full day in Finland; wish it was more but it's the part of the original plan that got cut.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 01:15 PM   #17
Wildman OP
In my castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasseNC
I am in Denmark, close to either Esbjerg or Århus!
Hi LasseNC. Danish Sidecar Motocross GP is in Slagelse on September 5th so will be travelling through to catch the ferry from Esbjerg on Monday, September 6th.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Old 08-22-2010, 01:17 PM   #18
LasseNC
XSessive!

Oddometer: 1,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman
Hi LasseNC. Danish Sidecar Motocross GP is in Slagelse on September 5th so will be travelling through to catch the ferry from Esbjerg on Monday, September 6th.
I am in Esbjerg by then, with a view down to the ferry too :)
LasseNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:03 PM   #19
Lexington
deliciously wicked

Oddometer: 11,499

Some women aren't meant to be tamed...they just need to run free til they find someone just as wild to run with them
Lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:55 PM   #20
Wildman OP
In my castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexington

Old 08-24-2010, 12:11 AM   #21
Wildman OP
In my castle

Fantastic day yesterday. 324 miles from Klaipeda in Lithuania via Riga in Latvia to Parnu in Estonia. Getting used to the roads which deteriorate instantly. You can be driving along an EU-funded pristine piece of tarmac then suddenly, where the weight of the thousands of trucks passing over has caused deep ruts, you're on a roller coaster ride. This example is the A5 near Riga.

North of Riga the road quality is excellent and the countryside changes from the open farmland and scrub of the southern Baltic States to predominantly forest. It's good riding. Even managed to spend half an hour investigating some of the forest trails.

Wasn't sure if I was allowed and with the GS weighed down with kit, I soon got back on course heading north. After Lithuania which I found a little dour, I'm enjoying Estonia, the people and feel, although it's raining hard this morning. I've just got 120 kms to go to Tallinn for the ferry this evening so am taking a break this morning hoping that the weather clears a little.

I must confess that this trip has so far been about getting to Stockholm. I'm really hoping that I can relax and just enjoy the ride next week when I should get some good sights to show you all of the Trollstigen and Gerainger.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:33 AM   #22
Bowes
Oman Dirty Biker

Oddometer: 214
Looking forward to more, those roads look like some I come across in poland in 2009. Building new roads everywhere but very few open for business. At least you know now where all the Euro grants are spent

Offroad Riding - Lap of Oman for Mary 2008: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=416409

The 8th Wonder of the World Discovered in Oman: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476324
Bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:55 AM   #23
Wildman OP
In my castle

So, business assignment successfully completed, I can now get on and enjoy this ride. Took a relaxing day today riding up through south-west Finland. At kyns suggestion, I got off the A8 and found some great gravel roads.

Wish I hadn't been fully laden with luggage.

Back to Sweden tomorrow and heading for the fjords of Norway. Weather forecast isn't good but fingers crossed we'll get some nice pics for you of the Trollstigen and Geiranger.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:05 PM   #24
LasseNC
XSessive!

Quote:
Will you be coming to Esbjerg on the 5th or the 6th?
Old 08-29-2010, 04:25 AM   #25
Penguin69
You pay as you go

Oddometer: 41
Hope you will have a nice and safe ride through Sweden.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:43 AM   #26
Wildman OP
In my castle

Quote:
Will you be coming to Esbjerg on the 5th or the 6th?
No firm plan but I'm guessing 6th. Had thought about looking for a hotel round Odense on 5th to clean up after the weekend camping at the motocross.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:45 AM   #27
LasseNC
XSessive!

Quote:
No firm plan but I'm guessing 6th. Had thought about looking for a hotel round Odense on 5th to clean up after the weekend camping at the motocross.
You can try giving me a buzz when you reach Jylland/Jutland on +4529866073
Old 08-29-2010, 10:46 AM   #28
Wildman OP
In my castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin69
Hope you will have a nice and safe ride through Sweden.

I will. As soon as it stops raining!!!!
Old 08-29-2010, 10:47 AM   #29
Wildman OP
In my castle

Quote:
You can try giving me a buzz when you reach Jylland/Jutland on +4529866073
Old 08-29-2010, 11:34 AM   #30
Wildman OP
In my castle

07.00 on a Sunday morning in Vaasa, Finland.

Another early, cold, wet and rainy start! I’ve not been fortunate with the weather on this trip; one reason for the lack of photographs. The M/S RG I is ready and loading the mostly Finnish trucks and cars.

A couple of drunk Russian foot-passengers are denied access. One can hardly walk. The Scandinavians seem to take a dim view of Russian drinking habits. When I arrived in Stockholm on the overnight ferry from Tallinn, on leaving the port everyone was required to undertake a breathalyser test. As I came past, three sullen and apologetic-looking Russians stood by their respective cars off to one side, each overseen by a Swedish policeman.

If you are planning to take part of this route in future, the Tallinn-Stockholm ferry (M/S Victoria - Tallink) is superb, possibly the best I’ve taken. Modern and very nicely equipped. Okay, the cabaret is more “Hi-Di-Hi” than the “Lido” but overall, I was impressed. The “A-la-Carte” breakfast option was easily one of the best breakfast spreads I’ve ever seen and I stay in hotels on business often so have much to compare it with. The Stockholm-Turku ferry (M/S Galaxy – Silja) was okay although it was like a rugby scrum getting food and poor quality when you did get it but this RG Line Vaasa-Umea ferry is old and pretty run-down.

Finland was great. It was such a shame that I had to curtail my time there to fit in the work in Stockholm. My only previous visit to Finland was an overnighter in Helsinki and I wasn’t impressed. Arriving in a thunderstorm, surly taxi-driver from the airport, drab central hotel next to the redevelopment of the central bus station requiring explosions through the night that shook the windows and a cold, unproductive business meeting meant I left vowing that Helsinki was one of my five worst Worldwide travel destinations.

The friendliness of the people I met yesterday has changed my view and the gravel roads are fun. It’s little wonder that Finland produces a succession of WRC champions if that’s what they learn to drive on.

I certainly hope this is never a situation that I find myself in when momentum is involved!

There’s a couple of options I can take as far as routes to the Norwegian fjords are concerned but due to exceptionally bad weather, I’ve just come south today, down the Swedish east coast to Sundsvall. Cold today (9°C/48°F), windy and some of the hardest downpours I’ve ridden through made it virtually a write-off. The forecast is a little better for tomorrow when I head over to Norway. Fingers crossed.

Wildman screwed with this post 09-02-2010 at 12:31 PM