User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2010, 03:01 PM   #46
kyns
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,918
[quote=Wildman]

With views like that, i would ride off the cliff in no time...

Nice!
kyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:46 PM   #47
Johnny Dakar
Fuckin' Smartass

Oddometer: 13,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman
I hope that the picture I took of the German guy on his R1150GS and his buddy turn out better than the one he took of me. Maybe he's giving me the finger!

Manly stance. Manly setting. Too bad it looks like you're wearing your Touratech "pannier belt." Got a pic of your bike without you in it? I'd be glad to Photoshop you in.
"Just sharing this quiet time is intimate, our tent, our bikes and our faces illuminated by yellow light from the fire. This is why we travel. To experience those rare moments of perfection of solitude of life."
-Simon Thomas
Johnny Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:29 AM   #48
Wildman OP
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Dakar
Manly stance. Manly setting. Too bad it looks like you're wearing your Touratech "pannier belt." Got a pic of your bike without you in it? I'd be glad to Photoshop you in.
Hey! I waited five months for that pannier belt to arrive so I'm damned well going to get some use out of it!
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:58 AM   #49
Johnny Dakar
Fuckin' Smartass

Oddometer: 13,915
Just can't trust the bloody Germans with a camera.
"Just sharing this quiet time is intimate, our tent, our bikes and our faces illuminated by yellow light from the fire. This is why we travel. To experience those rare moments of perfection of solitude of life."
-Simon Thomas
Johnny Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:38 PM   #50
Fast_Boy_Slim
Don't call me Wighty

Oddometer: 3,046
Quote:
I hope that the picture I took of the German guy on his R1150GS and his buddy turn out better than the one he took of me. Maybe he's giving me the finger!

At last some decent weather and at last, the Trollstigen or Trolls Path. No words needed!

Looks like a Dunhill advert

"I love the smell of adventure in the morning it reminds me of Norway"

Fantastic trip mate so jealous of you. Drop us a PM when you do the county of the IOW.

Quote:
Treat your throttle and brakes like a pair of b**bies! You go grabbing them hard and you're going to get slapped. You want to massage them nice and smooth. That way the bike will kiss you. Chris Carr
Fast_Boy_Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:46 PM   #51
Wildman OP
In my castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Boy_Slim
Looks like a Dunhill advert

"I love the smell of adventure in the morning it reminds me of Norway"

Fantastic trip mate so jealous of you. Drop us a PM when you do the county of the IOW.
Oh, sheesh! I forgot the Isle of Wight.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Old 09-02-2010, 01:16 PM   #52
Wildman OP
In my castle

So, 340 miles of highway today, set for another 200 miles tomorrow to set up camp at the Danish round of the World Sidecar Motocross Championship. As a taster, here's some information from my thread in Racing.

As a kid, every other Sunday seemed to be taken up with going to motocross, scrambles, trials, grass track or hillclimbs with my dad. Bikes were in the blood, my uncle won the Junior Team TT in 1961, my cousins wrenched for Graham Noyce and dad himself had sold his OK Supreme to buy a pram when needed but had never lost the itch to ride. I remember taking him and my kids to The Ken Hall Trophy motocross a couple of years before he died. We'd promised not to be late back home and decided to leave before the last race of the day so we could get out of the car park before the rush. Would he leave? Would he ever! Dragged his heels hung back at every opportunity. We saw all of that last race; I think he kind of knew that he wasn't going to get to see another event like that.

Of all the racing that we used to go see when I was a kid, sidecar motocross was the one that excited me. Yes it was great to see the big name solo's of the day like Dave Bickers, Jeff Smith, Andy Roberton, Badger Goss, Bryan Wade, Vic Eastwood and the like and especially the overseas guys like Hakan Andersen, Brad Lackey, Sylvain Geboers and Roger de Coster but it was the sidecars that got my heart pumping.

Forty years on and I still like to go to catch the odd event. Now it has to be said at the outset, this is a very European sport; there's not very much "World" about the World Sidecar Motocross Championship. Since evolving from the European Sidecar Motocross Championship in 1980, it has never staged a GP outside of Europe (although that may change in 2011) and has no competitors other than Europeans. Unlike the solo motocross, there's not so much money in the sport which limits investment, I guess.

There are 14 GPs in 2010 and the Danish GP is number 13. Let me introduce some the main protagonists in this year's World Championship:

Reigning World Champions Joris Hendrickx of Belgium and Kaspars Leipins of Latvia

Second in last years Championship, Joris's cousin Jan Henrickx and Tim Smeuninx of Belgium

Seven-times World Champion Daniel Willemsen and his 2010 passenger Gertie Eggink of The Netherlands

Latvians Maris Rupeiks and Kaspars Stupelis

Seven-times British Champions Stuart Brown and Luke Peters

Sidecar Motocross is currently dominated by riders and passengers from The Netherlands, Belgium and Latvia with British, French, German and Czech riders making up the next group of competitors together with Russians, Swiss and Scandinavians. The points standing going into Sunday's race shows it's a straight race for World Champion between Willemsen & Eggink and Joris Hendrickx & Liepins, a three way race for third and several teams trying to get a top ten spot.

L. NR. NAME NAT. MOTOR POINTS
01. 01. Joris Hendrickx-Kaspars Liepins B-LV VMC/KTM 494
02. 111. Daniel Willemsen-Gertie Eggink NL-NL WSP/Zabel 481
03. 02. Jan Hendrickx-Tim Smeuninx B-B VMC/KTM 394
04. 07. Maris Rupeiks-Kaspars Stupelis LV-LV WSP/KTM 367
05. 08. Etienne Bax-Ben van den Bogaart NL-NL VMC/Zabel 366
06. 18. Ben Adriaenssen-Kenny van Gaalen B-NL VMC/KTM 285
07. 03. Janis Daiders-Elvijs Mucenieks LV-LV VMC/KTM 283
08. 10. Tomas Cermak-Ondrej Cermak CZ-CZ MEFO/JAWA 238
09. 06. Vaclav Rozehnal-Marek Rozehnal CZ-CZ VMC/Zabel 228
10. 33. Baptiste Bigand-Julien Bigand F-F VMC/Zabel 223
11. 11. Peter Steegmans-Sven Verbrugge B-B WSP/KTM 212
12. 09. Stuart Brown-Luke Peters GB-GB MEFO/Husaberg 201
13. 15. Jan Visscher-Jeroen Visscher NL-NL VMC/Zabel 195
14. 17. Daniel Millard-Joe Millard GB-GB WHT/Husaberg 169
15. 04. Marco Happich-Martin Betschart D-CH MEFO/Zabel 138

Anyone with more interest in this sport may like to know of an excellent site, Sidecar Motocross Racing owned by Scott Whitney aka inmate Hogwild.

It goes like this:

Wildman screwed with this post 09-02-2010 at 02:00 PM
Old 09-02-2010, 02:39 PM   #53
Lexington
deliciously wicked

Oddometer: 11,513
Trollstigen and Geiranger are absolutely stunning!!
Old 09-02-2010, 02:44 PM   #54
Wildman OP
In my castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexington
Trollstigen and Geiranger are absolutely stunning!!
Too right. Jochen got some better pics than me here.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:31 AM   #55
mg-t
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Hi!!
I vawed you in Riga, but it seemed you where too busy of livng in Rigas traffic. I was on my white africatwin
mg-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:25 AM   #56
Fast_Boy_Slim
Don't call me Wighty

Oddometer: 3,046
Quote:
Oh, sheesh! I forgot the Isle of Wight.
Sorry to screw up your percentage

Quote:
Treat your throttle and brakes like a pair of b**bies! You go grabbing them hard and you're going to get slapped. You want to massage them nice and smooth. That way the bike will kiss you. Chris Carr
Fast_Boy_Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:09 PM   #57
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Great report, Paul, and absolutely stunning pictures. We've got a lot of great roads over here on this side of the pond, but nothing like Trollstigen. I'm green!

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:00 PM   #58
Wildman OP
In my castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg-t
Hi!!
I vawed you in Riga, but it seemed you where too busy of livng in Rigas traffic. I was on my white africatwin

I saw many Africa Twins; nice bikes. Sorry we didn't get to meet.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:01 PM   #59
Wildman OP
In my castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks
Great report, Paul, and absolutely stunning pictures. We've got a lot of great roads over here on this side of the pond, but nothing like Trollstigen. I'm green!

David
Thanks David but after your CDR trip, I'm taking all of that with a pinch of salt!

Wildman screwed with this post 09-06-2010 at 12:37 AM
Old 09-05-2010, 01:48 PM   #60
Wildman OP
In my castle

A Scandinavian round of the World Sidecar Motocross Championship means two things; Henk Soderquist and female sidecar passengers! Welcome to Slagelse (pronounced "sleighgelzer"), Denmark.

Former World #2, Soderquist stopped racing the Championship circuit some years ago but still turns out in the Scandinavian Grad Prix.

In his day, he was one of the few guys who could live with Kristers Sergis or Daniel Willemsen and although he didn't have a great event results-wise this weekend, he still showed some brilliant racing style.

Meet Johanna Strandberg:

and Charlotta Arsveldt:

Both Swedish they're passengers of Grand Prix bikes and both qualified. Here they are duelling in race one.

Johanna is the sort of woman who leaves a lasting impression on anyone that meets her. I'm only sorry that I didn't have the nerve to snap a photograph of her beautiful smile when I walked through the paddock area.

Wildman screwed with this post 09-05-2010 at 03:22 PM