User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2010, 03:18 PM   #1
matho... OP
Μιά ζωή OnOffάς!

Oddometer: 107
F8 touring windscreen fixing and mountings

Hi,I am thinking of buying a tall touring screen for my F8 and I want to share my thoughts.So are these tall screens quite suitable, since they mostly attach to the standard fixings? As we know BMW's touring screen use metal bracing (that "Π" shape) to support the screen.So is it wrong when I'm thinking that without this metal brace's support as the speed increasing a tall screen might put too much strain on the standard mountings.Is that some risk to crash that screens or cause damage to F8's fixing points?
What's your opinion about?

matho... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
mapuda
Crash Tested

Oddometer: 265
I just received a ZTechnik medium touring screen and it attaches to the headlight as well as the standard mounting points.

I believe with the BMW screen they add the extended brace to stiffen the screen against too much flexing at higher speeds.

I am not too worried about the ZTechnik as it is 3/16 of an inch thick and made from polycarbonate!
mapuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:35 PM   #3
levity
nano-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,088
Aeroflow

you should check the Aeroflow touring screens

very sturdy mounting system

great wind protection
levity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:59 PM   #4
matho... OP
Μιά ζωή OnOffάς!

I'll take a look on both Ztechnik and Airflow.Thanks.Also interesting of Powerbronze's but I cannot say from all I read in here help me to buy it.I'm 6.3'' but...we'll see.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:53 PM   #5
CycleRider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Support

I have also mounted the Ztechnik and the Calsci. Both of these used additional support points that I felt added greater stability. I found that even tho the Powerbronze did not require any additional hardware, the design of the screen more than compensated for the extra height. I have used the tallest version of most of the screens that I have tried with my 6'2" large frame.

I have settled (for now) on the BMW Touring Screen with the mounting bracket on my F650gs and use a laminar lip to compensate for my height. Works great and I love the look with the bike.

T...
CycleRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:07 PM   #6
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 974
What he said

I took the 2 hour factory tour of Aeroflow with Paige (owner/designer) in Anahem, CA. Yeak! Had no idea so much work went into the initial screen for their F800GS. Months, and if I recall something like 40 test models were developed/modified before a final release screen for the F800GS was released.

The additional braces and wind release hole make a major difference in the Aeroflow screen. After my tour, I would not trust a higher or wider screen with the stock braces...they were not made for the extra wind pressure.

The Aeroflow F800GS version provides a far greater width of protection due to curvature of screen sides. The top curvatures blows over my helmet.

Paige didn't just design the screen off a loner bike for a few days or weeks but goes out and buys an F800/F650 bike for testing.. Great screen...but the KEY IS TO ORDER THE CORRECT Heights based on their website instructions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by levity
you should check the Aeroflow touring screens

very sturdy mounting system

great wind protection
Old 08-20-2010, 02:33 AM   #7
matho... OP
Μιά ζωή OnOffάς!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisNClark
...After my tour, I would not trust a higher or wider screen with the stock braces...they were not made for the extra wind pressure...
That's exactly what I was thinking when I posted the Topic That is my biggest thought when I'm looking for a better windscreen for F8,but I'm really so confused and unsure for the final result... Desierto III looks great, also I'm checking all the other solutions and...keep going with the BMW's original(low)screen at the time.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:26 AM   #8
CycleRider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
To Each

Just one more word of caution as you read the opinions (including mine) about the different screens.

I am sure that you are already aware that a screen is designed to meet a very specific need / body type that includes as many riders as possible within their target market. But for me that is only the half of it at best.

There are so many other factors that have to be taken into consideration, and not just personal preferences. First, you start out with the obvious, your physical build, and match up to the height as best you can. But then, even if you fit withing their profile, you need to consider things like your actual build: are you long waisted? your posture - do you sit perfectly upright or do you like to lean forward a bit?.

My helmet choice made a huge difference, and it wasn't always the most expensive that worked the best.

The wind and temperatures you are riding in. Many don't like a "dead" pocket in front of them when the temps start to rise.

And of course your average speed; do you do mostly hiway at higher speeds? or do you like to feel the air as you tear up the countryside?

I could add to this list, but you get the general idea. This is not an exact Science. The only way that I have been able to feel comfortable with my screen choice was to first do what you are doing - read as much as you can about the experiences others have had. But then, you will probably find that even after much research, it may take a couple of tries before you find the "right" screen. There does seem to be a correlation between what you are willing to spend and the quality of the screen. The only exception to that that I have found was the Ztechnik. I was very impressed with the quality of the materials and the added stability.

So, I hope I haven't added too much to the confusion. I am just offering you a look at my conclusions after trying 7 different screens. You will find that the 2 most subjective areas of opinions are those regarding Screen choice and Seat choice. If you watch Parts or even post a WTB ad, you should be able to find someone that is willing to part with a screen at a reasonable price, and if it doesn't work, you can turn around and sell it again, at a reasonable price.

Good luck with your search - there is actually more than 1 good screen out there for you to choose from!

T...
CycleRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:07 AM   #9
BMW_BIKER_KEITH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
be aware

Be aware that IF you have Barkbusters or similar, an aftermarket screen may interfere with going Lock To Lock... Most screens do not account for BBusters...
BMW_BIKER_KEITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:40 AM   #10
matho... OP
Μιά ζωή OnOffάς!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideABeam
So, I hope I haven't added too much to the confusion. I am just offering you a look at my conclusions after trying 7 different screens. ...
Thnks A LOT sharing your experience and tries of buying the best solution on Screens.Those posts are MOST VALUABLE for us,than even trying to find by ourselves a screen that fits our needs.I'll keep in mind all your thoughts and help and I'll try to find the best for me,if I find it ever.THNAKS again

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_BIKER_KEITH
Be aware that IF you have Barkbusters or similar, an aftermarket screen may interfere with going Lock To Lock... Most screens do not account for BBusters...
I have the BMW's hand guards that gives with the 30's GS...
There is a picture of my F8 in case of helps...