Old 08-19-2010, 05:14 PM   #1
mikesova OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,711
Mid Michigan Afternoon Ride

Time: 12:30pm-5:00pm
Distance: 139 miles
Counties: Gladwin, Clare, Roscommon, Crawford

I started out in Gladwin, MI. I had to drop off an application at the local RESD, so I headed west towards Harrison. After dropping off the application, I decided to head north on old US-27. As I was going through Harrison, I decided to stop over at the big fancy condos at the end of Bud Lake as I've never been over there. They are ok, nothing too special. In the picture, you can see my parent's cabin. It's the thing that looks like a little white dot.

From Harrison I continued north on old 27. This is a nice ride, as the road is pretty vacant and lots of trees on both sides. I stopped along the road, when I saw this flag. I'd like to fly one of those in my front yard to help get the word out.

After being on 27 for a while, it started to get very bumpy. The road was humped up almost every 10 feet. I eventually arrived at a boat launch on the west end of Houghton Lake. The launch wasn't busy, so I just hung out for a little bit and enjoyed the breeze.

I continued north and not long after leaving Houghton Lake, I came across Higgins Lake. I stopped at the boat launch here, too. It was a little more busy. There were 2 or 3 boats being launched.

I ended up running out of 27 north, about 75 miles into the trip, so I began to head back east. I kept hitting roads that ran out of pavement, but I didn't mind, what kind of ADV trip would it be without some dirt roads?

I ended up hitting M-18 after a few miles, so I went south. I came across a put in/hiking trail head on the Au Sable River, so I stopped to check it out. A very trusting livery had some canoes/kayaks just sitting along the river. I explored the trail head and found Charlie's Well, which was kind of neat.

A little farther down the road, I went through Roscommon.

Then a little farther south, I saw a sign for a Firefighters Memorial, so I stopped to check it out. It was pretty cool. It had a huge statue and a wall similar to what you see with a war memorial like the Vietnam or Korean. It's kind of neat seeing these things that you usually never think about stopping and checking out when you're in a cage.

As I kept heading south on M-18, my rear end was starting to act up. It wasn't sore, but it was starting to feel a little uncomfortable, so I decided to pull over in Meredith at the Hunter's Paradise. It's a gas station, store, movie rental place, and little cabin rental place all in one. It was pretty neat.

I just continued on M-18 south until I got to Gladwin. It's a pretty nice ride as the road is good and there are lots of curves. It made for a great afternoon. I'm really glad I did this, because I almost called it off because the Weather Channel gave me mixed signals. The overview showed scattered t-storms, but the hourly forecast showed good weather, which is what I got.

Mid Michigan Afternoon Ride from Michael Sova on Vimeo.

mikesova screwed with this post 08-25-2010 at 06:15 AM
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:31 PM   #2
jmanz6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
My friend and I go bird hunting on the Mason Tract every year during the fall. It's a blast back there with all the fire roads. I want to take a dual sport bike up there and play in the woods sometime. We hve a good time on the trails with my Jeep.
jmanz6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:56 PM   #3
mikesova OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanz6
My friend and I go bird hunting on the Mason Tract every year during the fall. It's a blast back there with all the fire roads. I want to take a dual sport bike up there and play in the woods sometime. We hve a good time on the trails with my Jeep.
Get your XR plated and we can go together. I also run a street legal XR200r. :)
Old 08-24-2010, 07:11 PM   #4
jmanz6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova
Get your XR plated and we can go together. I also run a street legal XR200r. :)

I'm actually in the process of doing the DS conversion. all I need to do now is build the wire harness. Question about your XR. What spockets are you running? I'm thinking the stock gearing would be a bit too low on the street and would top out at about 50 or so. I'm thinking of changing but don't know what to yet.
jmanz6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:03 PM   #5
mikesova OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanz6
I'm actually in the process of doing the DS conversion. all I need to do now is build the wire harness. Question about your XR. What spockets are you running? I'm thinking the stock gearing would be a bit too low on the street and would top out at about 50 or so. I'm thinking of changing but don't know what to yet.
I still have the huge stock rear sprocket and it can haul my 250 lbs. @ 60 MPH. I try to keep it at 50-55 so it's not screaming. The low end is nice on the trails.