Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2010, 01:50 PM   #331
LittleWan OP
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krashdragon
Never too many pics in a RR...but that's JMHO!
Thanks!~
Mary aka Krashdragon
Hi Mary! Then you've come to the right place. I'll see if I can change your mind!

Day 15 continued...

Fast gravel

Big Sky Country, indeed

Took a peek at Ovando.

They had gas, but we thought we could make it to Helena.

Man, I love the clouds here.

LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:53 PM   #332
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan

LittleWan - the reflection pics you got over the past few days have been awesome!... keep it up!
Old 09-22-2010, 05:17 PM   #333
LittleWan OP
You can do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia
LittleWan - the reflection pics you got over the past few days have been awesome!... keep it up!
Hi kaia - oh, I wish I could take credit for those... it's just luck and the sun. I'll keep trying, though!

Day 15 continued...

Uh oh. What was I just saying about the clouds?

Stemple Pass

ooh. We just missed some serious rain.

Peek a boo!

This was such a great section - just gorgeous.
And it was a really friendly road.
Matt assured me that I could ride this with my super n00b skillz.

Just after this section, we were riding between a meadow and a tree-covered hillside.
A black bear crossed the road just ahead of us and disappeared into the trees.
I was so excited! A bear!

This was about a week before the bear attack in Yellowstone.
Apparently bear attacks may be on the rise, but I’m still more afraid of humans. And zombies.

Uh oh. Zombie Bears?
(you only need to watch the first 30 seconds of that one! )
(Actually, that pretty much applies to all the linkies)

Old 09-22-2010, 06:00 PM   #334
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
Ovando and Seaman (and Lewis and Clark Expedition)

Been lurking at your report...Thanks for sharing.

South of Ovando is a pretty historic site. Meriwether Lewis (and 3 soldiers; (No Clark was not with them)) of the Lewis and Clark Expedition rode on horseback thru Ovando, looking for the Northwest Passage. As they passed Ovando and a little series of creeks south of Ovando their prized dog (a 100 to 120 lb black Newfoundland dog, named "Seaman") chased a herd of buffalo across a prairie to the west towards the mountains.

At the time every person on the expedition had had some landmark (mountain, lake, river, creek, etc) named after them...On this day, as they were headed back home, Meriwether Lewis wrote in his journal that the creek they camped by would be named after their loyal and dedicated dog, thus "Seaman Creek". Seaman was never mentioned after that night's camping...leaving many historians to feel that Seaman might have been killed that day.

The creek is very difficult to find (since it is so remote) and you stumbled across it in one of your pictures. There's a granite marker to Seaman across the parking lot from the restaurant where the wooden Indian was located.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:00 PM   #335
LittleWan OP
You can do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisNClark
At the time every person on the expedition had had some landmark (mountain, lake, river, creek, etc) named after them...On this day, as they were headed back home, Meriwether Lewis wrote in his journal that the creek they camped by would be named after their loyal and dedicated dog, thus "Seaman Creek".

The creek is very difficult to find (since it is so remote) and you stumbled across it in one of your pictures.
Hi LewisNClark! Wow, thanks for the info - I had no idea. I love dogs, so the thought of naming a landmark after Seaman makes me really happy.
Too bad it's not officially recognized. It sounds like the maps show it as Monture Creek, right?

Okay, which photo was it? I'm guessing this one:

Old 09-22-2010, 08:04 PM   #336
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,697
Quote:

Uh oh. What was I just saying about the clouds?

As soon as I saw this pic I jumped out of my chair and started putting my rain gear on. While trying to shove my rain pants over my sandals I remembered it was your ride report and I was safe inside!

Awesome!
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:20 PM   #337
LittleWan OP
You can do it!

Day 15 continued...

We met our first Continental Divide cyclist today.
Unfortunately, we never exchanged names, but this fellow came all the way from New Zealand to ride the divide.
He was having a bit of a rough go and needed some cheering up.

I wish we could have spent more time with Mr. Kiwi, but he was beat and wanted to stop and camp right then.
BigWan and I wanted to make it Helena. But, we did chat for a while.
Actually, we were talking to him for so long (with the heated grips and the headlight on), the bike went dead.
Oops, talk about embarrassing!

Mr. Kiwi and I looked at each other - he offered me a ride at the exact same time I asked if I could to go 2up with him!

A nice local couple stopped and asked if we were all on the CDT.
They said they had some errands to do, but they would be coming back this way if Matt and I needed a jump.
Luckily, there was a hill nearby. I pushed Matt down it and he was able to bump start the bike.
Yay! Jeeze, what a crap battery.

We gave Mr. Kiwi a little pep talk and then got back on the trail.
I wish I had thought about it, I would have given him a safety cone for company.

I thought that if we were out of the way, maybe that couple would come back and invite him over for dinner.
I sure hope they did.

Yikes. That looks ominous!

We got lost. Hey, there’s the capitol building!

So I guess Montana has a pretty bad Meth problem (as does the whole country).
We saw lots of anti-meth advertising on this ride, but it was especially noticeable in Helena.
These billboards were everywhere:

And those are the tame ads!

Watch the scary ones here Montana Meth Project.

We also saw lots of entries for the Paint the State Contest.

Even with all the campaigning, there are still signs of meth use in Helena. We were going to get a room at the Motel 6, but it was just too gross.
I have a high tolerance for sketchy motel rooms, but this one smelled like urine and the other guests milling around scared the crap out of me.
We ended up going to the Days Inn.

That night, it stormed like crazy - torrential rain, booming thunder, and giant lightning bolts!
I hope Mr. Kiwi had a cozy place to sleep.

Norm

So, next up - Lava Mountain and Fleecer Ridge!

Old 09-23-2010, 08:15 AM   #338
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
Quote:
Hi LewisNClark! Wow, thanks for the info - I had no idea. I love dogs, so the thought of naming a landmark after Seaman makes me really happy.
Too bad it's not officially recognized. It sounds like the maps show it as Monture Creek, right?

Okay, which photo was it? I'm guessing this one:

Damn!!! You get an AWARD for that.
You are exactly right Monture Creek. (That Link is excellent and shows that the debate is still going on after 201 years).

I looked high and low for Seaman's Creek, literally rode probably 400-600 miles tracking it down and finally went to where I knew it had to be south of Ovando, MT. When I saw the Monture Creek sign I could see why I had not been able to find it. (Many maps still have it as Seaman Creek).

I met with the unofficial mayor of Ovando to see what the story was...to find out the local Indian tribe had renamed it after one of their elders back in the 1950's...and the Mayor said they would go on another attack war-party if someone tried to change it back to it's original name, "Seaman Creek". He had tried! and almost got scalped!

I'm actively trying to get the campsite area around where your picture is, changed to "Seaman's Camp"...it's a popular trout fishing campsite. Lewis's and Seaman's campsite was on the east side of the hwy...visible heading north toward Great Falls & Rogers Pass.

Seaman Creek camp – the other side of the hwy. (The actual campsite of 204 yrs ago.) Like us, L & C always tried to pick scenic campsites. Below is confluence of the Big Blackfoot River and "SEAMAN"S CREEK".

Seaman Marker you were standing beside when you took the picture of the Wooden Indian.

LewisNClark screwed with this post 09-23-2010 at 09:04 AM
LewisNClark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:40 AM   #339
LittleWan OP
You can do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisNClark
Damn!!! You get an AWARD for that.
You are exactly right Monture Creek.
Heh, I told you I love dogs! I wouldn't have bothered if it was a story about a person
It was just a fluke that I got a photo. We didn't stop there, I just snapped it as we rode through. Pretty spot!

Good luck with the name change! I hope it works out.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:56 AM   #340
LittleWan OP
You can do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX
As soon as I saw this pic I jumped out of my chair and started putting my rain gear on. While trying to shove my rain pants over my sandals I remembered it was your ride report and I was safe inside!
Awesome!
Hey Oliver, you almost got lost in my mess...
It could have been worse - you could be doing a "stop, drop, and roll!" in your living room..."Help me, Tom Cruise!"

Day 16: 7/22/10 Helena, MT to Bannack State Park, MT 196 miles

I know a couple of you wanted more bike-y/wrench-y stuff in this RR.
Sorry, not my department.
What can I say - the 990 has been awesome.

I didn't take any photos of matt lubing the chain.

Here's the best I can do...
We knew we’d need at least one other set of tires on this trip, but trying to figure out when we’d need them was tough.
Last year (the TAT west), we got a new set in Trinidad, CO and they just barely made it home.

Looking at the mileage of the OBCDR and CDT, Matt guessed that we’d probably want a new set in Montana, and a large town like Helena seemed to be the logical choice.

He knew he wanted to try the Pirelli Scorpion Rally front, and this way we wouldn’t have to search high and low for one.
He stuck with his old favorite, the D908 Rally Raid rear.

We had them shipped to the UPS store in Helena, where they charged a mere $5 to sign for and hold the tires until we arrived.
It worked perfectly.

Haha, I could barely squish back into my seat.
I kept a hand on either tire, but Matt assured me that they were perfectly safe. Uh huh.

Now, where to put them on...
Gravitycheck had had such good luck at Les Schwab in Lakeview, OR
we decided to try the LS in Helena.

They were really cool. I’m not sure they want to be a regular stop for FFs who need to work on their bikes, but the manager was a nice guy.
He let us work out back (in the shade) and said we could leave our old tires, no problem.

Wow, look at these ginormous truck tires! I liked all the neat tread patterns.

Spooning on the new front

The TeenyWan 4000 - matt’s custom micro compressor.
It was a pretty small mini compressor (I think it had a blue plastic cover), but he stripped it of everything but the essential components.
Now it hardly takes up any room at all.

So, it ended up being a little early for a tire change. They probably could have gone a lot longer - Salida, CO or Taos, NM.
We really trashed them on the PCQ and Crane Mountain, but the riding got pretty tame after that.
Oh well. Better safe than sorry. The schoolbus is so heavy, we can really eat up the tires...

The stock KTM 9x0 adv wheels have a safety bead that makes changing tires a little tougher. BigWan learned this trick someplace in Orange Crush - thanks, ADV!
He used the sidestand to break the bead.

Stuffing the heavy duty tube back in...

Aww. Look at our little baby tire! A rally raid never looked so small.

Yay! New shoes!
It took a little longer with that safety bead, but I think it was just under an hour (~50 minutes) to put on the tires.

Thanks, Les Schwab!

Now, we're ready to go!
...eat lunch.
Sigh. It took forever to get out of Helena.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:51 AM   #341
Desmous
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
how many kilometers / miles on Dunlop D908RR m (complete)

THX
Old 09-23-2010, 10:16 AM   #342
LittleWan OP
You can do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmous
how many kilometers / miles on Dunlop D908RR m (complete)

THX
At this point, in Helena Montana, we had 2430 miles (3910 kilometers) on them.
As I mentioned, it was a little early and we could have gotten more miles from the tires.

V tomto bodě, ve Helena Montana, měli jsme 2,43 tisíc míle (3910 km) na nich.
Jak jsem již zmínil, bylo to trochu brzy a mohli jsme dostali víc mil od pneumatik.

Here's how the D908 looked, just before removal...

Zde je návod, jak vypadala D908, těsně před odstraněním ...

BigWan thought we could have gotten another 800-900 (maybe even 1000) miles out of the tire, if we had pushed it. Oh well.

BigWan myslel, mohli jsme dostali další 800 až 900 (možná i 1000) mil z pneumatik, když jsme měli tlačil ji. No jo.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:57 AM   #343
LittleWan OP
You can do it!

Day 16 continued...

We did some last minute errands, some grocery shopping, and got a quick lunch.
It was after noon by the time we got on the trail...

Ruins on the outskirts of Helena. I’ve seen these in ride reports before - I’m sure someone has the story...

hello, dirt!

I love this time of year, when everything is so freaking green!

We had been trying to decide if it was worth trying to find Lava Mountain and Fleecer Ridge. I guess they are alternative routes, not quite on the CDT?
I don’t know. I suck at planning.

Matt was really irritated that we’d be missing part of the regular CDT if we did these alternative sections.
We both thought the trail would take us right to Lava Mountain, and then afterwards, we could get on the trail and that would take us right to Fleecer Ridge.
It didn’t really work out that way.
I’m not sure if it was the tracks, or us, or what...but it was a really annoying day.

There were lots of gaps and disconnected sections in the tracks and it was hard to find the beginning of the Lava Mountain section.

Is this it? Could be.

Crap...

I scouted ahead...oh, goody.
Make muddy, rocky bog your favorite!

Where the f**k is the trail?

Old 09-23-2010, 10:59 AM   #344
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,107
Make hobo packing your favorite.

Quote:

Haha, I could barely squish back into my seat.
I kept a hand on either tire, but Matt assured me that they were perfectly safe. Uh huh.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:07 AM   #345
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,648
Quote:
Aww. Look at our little baby tire! A rally raid never looked so small.

What's funny is that the big tire is a 908 too, it says right on it.

You guys look the same as me when I hit the CDT after riding the OBDR, hard to switch from trail mode to main road thinking. Pretty soon I was..