Love the humor. You may proceed
MaverickH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:57 AM   #47
LittleWan OP
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,689
Day 3 continued...

On the way to the OBCDR!
(the link is just something google found, but it looks like it might be interesting...)
Loved these clouds on 395 (looking to the west)

They weren’t looking as friendly on the other side (east)
Of course, it was raining exactly where we wanted to go.

The OBCDR starts on the road to Cave Lake. Matt had all the official OBCDR maps, but they were too heavy so we left them at home.
We were putting all our faith in Norman the Delorman and the OBCDR tracks on the GPS. Wait, what? Is that a bad idea?

It's a terrible photo (of the road and in general), but look at that cool cloud across the top - I love that little swirl!

Hey, it’s our old friend, the Dismal Swamp!

This our first (and I think, only) Back Country sign.

I love the Dismal Swamp. It’s so beautiful and peaceful.

And muddy. It had just dumped - glad we missed that. The ground wasn’t bad, though.

Water crossing. Last year, I was completely freaked out at this spot. No sweat today. It was an easy crossing

We blew by our turn and had to go back when Norm started yelling at us (he chirps when a turn is coming and/or when we get off track)
This is it? Uh oh.

This section of the OBCDR is barely discernible.

We didn’t see any tracks or evidence of other riders. Most of the trail was completely overgrown. When we got to the end of this section, we saw why. I didn’t get a photo of it, but there was a homemade “no access” sign stuck in ground to discourage riders from heading up the trail. Matt said that hikers and environmentalists have been trying to reclaim the trail. This must have been some of their handiwork. Thanks, hippies.

I didn’t take any photos at first - the roads were really fun and reminded us of the Paiute Trail. Twisty ATV stuff with dirt and rocks. Lots of trees.

Norm was using OBCDR tracks, and so far they were working really well. Until we went through this gate, that is (photo was taken looking back at the gate, after I closed it).

The road was okay for a while, then the GPS tracks just stopped. I forgot to take a picture at that spot, but there was a fork in the road - up to the left was a steep, loose, rocky incline. To the right was an almost completely overgrown and washed out road.

The OBCDR tracks seemed to go up to the left just before they ended, so up we went. Ooo, sketchy! It had some pretty deep ruts, too. Hmm... Matt said it just didn’t feel right - this road was too messed up to be the OBCDR (the Oregon gov’t wouldn’t send people on this type of trail). We turned around and went back to the other road. Nope. That couldn’t be it, either. Crap. Matt zoomed out on the GPS and saw that even though our GPS tracks ended, it seemed like the trail came back near the summit. We looked around and saw some quad tracks on the ground. Hmmm. We should be able to connect the dots...

Note to selves: hello! I think this is where a normal, I mean, more intelligent, person would have turned around.

Instead, we went back up to the left and took the twisty, rutted, incline. The road was steep enough, and our collective ass was heavy enough, so that the front end started to come up. Yikes.

After a while, we even lost the road. the trail kind of faded away. It was almost completely overgrown in parts. But we thought we could just make out those quad tracks...

It got a little narrow...

Uh oh. snow? (dum dum dum!)

It is pretty up here. That's the trail - going up towards the right.

We started to get some single track between trees. My ankles were getting nervous and it was getting kind of tight to be riding with the side bags.
(This is not the single track. I was too busy hanging on and tucking my feet in to take photos.)

So, it doesn’t look like much in the photo (of course), but this section was pretty muddy, with loose rocks and sharp turns - a bad combination for 2up on the 990. The bike was already starting to run hot, but right here it started to spew liquid.

At first I thought we had punctured something on a sharp rock (there were several), but Matt said it was just “puking coolant.” Not great, but not fatal.

That’s the trail (going from bottom rt corner up to the middle left).

Norm, where the f**k are we?

I didn’t want matt to lose his momentum so I told him to keep riding and I’ll catch up. You can see the rally raid tracks in the lower left corner.

He was waiting for me a little further up.
Are we having fun, yet?

I got back on and we rode together until we got to this. Is that snow up there? We went to check it out.

Yeah. Just a little...

I don’t know what the regular trail looks like, but this is what ours looked like.

Whew. No snow. Maybe we're through the worst of it...

Nope. Can you see matt, behind that tree? I went ahead to scout out a “trail” and now I’m standing in the middle of it, waiting for him.
That bunch of rocks was the clearest area I could find.

It was really pretty, if only we could enjoy it.

Time for some ATGATT snow hiking...

At least it’s hard to get lost here. Just follow the rocks...

Today, Matt got to enjoy some ATGATT snow hiking, too. He’s off scouting ahead...

Sh*t.
Matt said, "I'm pretty sure that snow is the devil..."

Don’t fall, don’t fall, don’t fall....

It went on like this for a while. Lots of snow and rocks. Whenever there was a stretch of clear riding, I could ride pillion, but those sections were getting to be few and far between. Lots of ATGATT snow hiking for me, lots of ATGATT snow hiking and trail blazing for matt (muscling the schoolbus around snow, fallen trees, stumps, and rocks). He was getting tired, I could hear his heavy breathing in my helmet (and I’m sure he was hearing mine in his).

And then he crashed.
I heard it in my helmet and went running over.. As matt was riding through this section, a rock kicked out and the schoolbus started to tip. He was just too exhausted to keep it from going over and down they went. Right onto those big rocks in the middle.

It was so scary to get there and see the bike, lying on top of matt, with both wheels in the air.

No pics (you heartless bastards)!

(And that’s why it’s better to ride with your wife and not your “friends”)

The freaking schoolbus is so damn heavy, it was like trying to raise a wall. The angle was bad and at first it kept sliding away from me, instead of going up. But I got it.

Amazingly, there wasn’t much damage - Matt seemed fine and the bike looked okay. The brake pedal was a little bent and the steering was slightly jacked, but considering the rocks, it could have been much, much worse.
And that’s why we don’t use hard bags.

Thank goodness he didn’t get hurt. We would have been seriously screwed, way out here. On the plus side, being so close to the summit may have made it easier for the helicopter...

So, even though Matt was so tired he could barely get back on the bike, we kept plugging away at it. There was no way either one of us wanted to turn around now.
Norm told us that the trail was up there - just over the summit. If we could only get there. He had been saying we had 1 mile to go (for about the last hour).

I was too tired to take any more photos.

Until we got here:

The road ended in a pile of snow, rocks, and downed trees.

I think you need 360 degree video to fully appreciate our despair.

Notice the mosquitoes buzzing in the beginning of the video. These were the most voracious ones yet. They were biting me through the mesh inserts in my pants and jacket, through my gloves, all along where the edge of my helmet exposed my neck, and any other place they could find.

I’m a little winded after all the ATGATT hiking - oh, did I mention that we were at almost 8,400 ft? And, I’m just plain bummed out.

The zoom at the end of the video didn’t work very well.
Here’s what I was zooming in on:

And this is what matt saw when he hiked up to see what was on the other side:

We both looked at each other -
"Make snow your favorite!"

LittleWan screwed with this post 08-24-2010 at 09:48 AM
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:05 AM   #48
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan

We both looked at each other -
"Make snow your favorite!"

Uh oh, .

That's what is great about the OBDR, any trail going your direction will work if you're game and have enough blood for the mosquitos.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:24 AM   #49
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,721
ooops - yeah the snow has been-a-lingerin' around here this summer. Good story so far though! Making my back sore reading it.

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:05 PM   #50
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachs
ooops - yeah the snow has been-a-lingerin' around here this summer. Good story so far though! Making my back sore reading it.
No kidding, it was a late Spring. And it was, I've heard, the reason for so many mosquitoes this year.
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:35 PM   #51
stickman1432
Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 724
Damn I think that you need to put the bike on his back and just hike out of there..........It looks like the best way to go. Its has to get better, just keep it comin.

R1200GS-08', WR250R-08'
XR650R-03', 110 Honda-83'
stickman1432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:04 AM   #52
LittleWan OP
You can do it!

Day 3, continued...

After all the ATGATT hiking, Matt was wiped out.

When I was taking this photo, he said “That’s it - I want a harley”
uh oh.
That’s when I knew he had altitude sickness.

Symptoms therefore usually include those of AMS (nausea/vomiting, insomnia, weakness, and/or dizziness) plus headache, loss of coordination (ataxia),
and decreasing levels of consciousness including
disorientation, loss of memory, hallucinations, irrational behavior, and coma

So, obviously we weren’t going to turn around. We were going to make it down this freaking mountain.
Norman the Delorman said there was a road, just over there, less than a mile away, and by god, we were going to listen to that little plastic box!

Matt kept scouting around until he thought he found a spot we could get through. We went up around the left side, behind the big snowdrift.
I had to break a bunch of tree branches and move some logs to clear the space, but he got through.

We emerged here, up in the rocks. The trail is down to the right (starting in the lower rt corner and going diagonal up to the left)

Poor Matt. He’s getting so worked today.

F**king snow!

There was all kinds of unpleasant stuff under the snow, too. Stumps and rocks and holes. It was especially scary when I knew that Matt was exhausted.
The bike got stuck a couple more times, but not too bad. We got it out without much trouble (too tired for pics).

We did this part, 2up! He was tired of having to stop and wait for me so he said, “screw it” and we plowed through it.
To his chagrin, I made him stop anyway so I could take a picture (looking back at our tracks).

Oh yay - there's the road! Norm was right! kind of.

Norm wanted us to continue to the left, up the hill - “chirp, chirp, chirp!”

But we told him to shut up the hell up and we went to the right, down the hill.

We’re on our way to Lakeview, OR

After 2 nights of camping and 3 hard days of riding/hiking, Matt wanted to treat me to a nice room. We were going to try and stay at the Best Western,
but as soon as I walked in the door, I got the stink eye from everyone in the packed lobby - guests, clerks, everyone. Yikes.
I was sweaty, probably pretty gross and smelly, and carrying my helmet. I stuck around long enough to hear the prices (starting at $99) and then left.

We went back to last year’s el cheapo motel -

The Bud, Get inn.

The guy who works here is really nice. I liked him last year. I’m just not overly fond of the skanky rooms.

We weren't camping on Crane Mountain! We celebrated by going to El Aguila Real for ice cold beer (in a frosty glass) and Mexican food.

Where’s my beer?

That’s better!

During dinner, we hashed over the day’s ride.

me: holy crap, that sucked.
matt: tell me about it.
me: I guess a smart person would have turned back, if not when the tracks ended, then at least after hitting that first big section of snow...
matt: yeah. (pause) Wait a minute, we had this exact conversation last night!
me: really? (thinking) Oh, shit - you’re right! we did!
together : we’re so f**king stupid...

That’s when I told him that if I did another ride report, it was going to be called “the summer of stupid.”

We constantly have discussions about how we need to be more cautious, more conservative. How we need to ride smarter, etc...
And every time we fail to back that up. Once we’re on the trail it’s all about making it. Not turning back. Finishing the freaking trail...sigh.

Will we ever learn?

It sure felt longer than 222 miles.
But 66.6 sounds about right...
hey, maybe snow is the devil!

Oh, I can recycle this graphic from last year’s report!

Let's just hope I don't need to use it again!

Old 08-25-2010, 09:26 AM   #53
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,888
You guys make me laugh. No matter how shitty it gets, you're always smiling. Matt has his serious face on in all of the mirror reflection shots, but that about it.

Really? You want my wife to read this report to get her interested in bike trips? I think not, or at least not yet. I'll wait until you're walking less, and Matt is having to carry the bike less.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:51 AM   #54
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,745
Mental fortitude...

I love it, Please continue....
Old 08-25-2010, 10:04 AM   #55
Mollygrubber
Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer: 1,254
Subscribed...

This is what I imagine a trip with my wife would be like, if we were both a bit smarter and adventurous.

Mollygrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:26 AM   #56
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,453
I thought your TAT was great, this is awsome.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:53 AM   #57
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
I will always choose you two for my team , as old and scrawny as I am getting, I would love to have that Matt backing me up, YAHOOOOO!!

Are you packing a tiny felt hat for filtering ole gas????

Keep the RR going, getting futher behind in cutting my winter supply of fire wood, but HEY, I can do that with lots of snow on the ground!! LOL

Ride smart,

gale
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=572583
Gale B.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:06 PM   #58
LittleWan OP
You can do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickH1
Love the humor.
thanks, MaverickH1 :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickman1432
Damn I think that you need to put the bike on his back and just hike out of there..........
Matt said, "what is that - a Yeti joke?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod
Really? You want my wife to read this report to get her interested in bike trips? I think not, or at least not yet. I'll wait until you're walking less, and Matt is having to carry the bike less.
You could always let her read the first 5... okay, make that the first 4 days of "TAT the Hard Way"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollygrubber
Subscribed...
This is what I imagine a trip with my wife would be like, if we were both a lot dumber.
Fixed! Thanks, Mollygrubber
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob
I thought your TAT was great, this is awsome.
hi Bob (that wasn't already taken? ) thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale B.T.
I will always choose you two for my team , as old and scrawny as I am getting, I would love to have that Matt backing me up, YAHOOOOO!!
Thank you, Gale! By the way, I'm really enjoying your thread!
If you guys want a great read, click on Gale's link...

Old 08-25-2010, 06:46 PM   #59
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,453
Don't worry how much I had to pay for my unique screen name.
Just post more great pics!!!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:32 AM   #60
LittleWan OP
You can do it!

Day 4: 7/10/10 Lakeview, OR Big Fat Zero miles (lay day)

Matt says, "Just write, 'We stayed in Lakeview and licked our wounds. The end.'"

Anyway...
So we had a little trouble with photos on this trip - I took a lot and storage became an issue.
Matt and I would load them onto Frankenslime and then, when we had a decent internet connection, we’d upload them onto Photobucket as a backup before clearing the SD card.
We had a bunch of cards, and tried to have multiple backups, but despite that, something happened and I’m missing some photos from days 4 and 5. Hopefully, not more than that. Dammit, Frankenslime! You suck.

Heh, it’s nice to have a scapegoat (it was probably just “user error”).

There's a chance that the missing photos are still on one of our SD cards, so we're going to go through those.
Edit: found most of the photos (and some forgotten OBCDR video) on the first SD card yay!

I also need some time to catch up on the next few days - I have most of Trayce's OBCDR pics and will be pulling from them as well.

In the meantime, here's some busy work ([reading] assigned for the purpose of keeping students busy, so that they do not cause trouble):

Back to Day 4:
We both felt like shit this morning. Matt's shoulder hurt and I think I pulled something in my back. I told matt I really wished we could stay another day.
He said, ”Me too, but we can't be late meeing Trayce.”
Matt’s friend Trayce (Gravitycheck) was going to ride with us for 4 days of the OBCDR and we planned to meet up on the trail

Matt broke out the map and we realized that we were only 250 miles from our
rendezvous point. And we had 3 days to get there. How the heck did that happen?
Turns out we were originally going to meet Trayce on 7/11 and we planned accordingly. He bumped it to the 12th and we forgot to adjust our schedule.

Oh, boy! Lay Day - woo hoo!

It was great for us, but sucks for you, the readers. I’ll make it brief.

Even though I was grateful for the rest, it felt really weird and wrong to not ride. I kind of wanted to go on a day ride, but matt was worried about wasting tire.
Plus, it was nice to have a day to let our gear dry out.
There’s not a lot to do in Lakeview. Matt suggested that we go visit Randall and help him fill in those perk holes

Instead, I did some sink laundry and Matt worked on the bike. The steering damper got damaged in the fall and needed some attention.
He also spent a bunch of time in meetings with Norm and Slime. I heard a lot of yelling and swearing, but I kept my head down and hoped they wouldn't make eye contact.

So, after the coffee creamer explosion we had on the first day, you would think that we’d be a little more careful with that stuff...
Matt had um, borrowed some mini moos from the Quincy Safeway deli on Day 2 and he stuck them in his jacket pocket (right side).
Then he completely forgot about them until he crashed yesterday. And landed on that side. Uh oh.
But, look! They survived! Yay, mini moos...

I forgot to post this photo of our deluxe suite at the Bud, Get inn. After camping, it didn’t seem all that skanky.
The sink was backed up and wouldn’t drain, but that was still an improvement over camping. Woo hoo - running water!

Notice how both framed prints (hanging on the walls) are exactly the same! Our other room had two pictures, different from the ones in this room, but also exactly the same.
Why not mix it up a little so that each room has 2 different prints?

Last year when we were in Lakeview, my knee was messed up and I couldn’t walk around. This year I finally got to see the Lakeview Safeway.

Napoleon Dynamite was there!
Not really, but there was a girl who looked just like him.

Sounded like him, too. (don’t worry, it’s only a few seconds. that’s all I can take of that voice)

She was fighting with her brother. They were running down the aisles, screaming at each other and crashing their carts into stuff:

Napoleona Dynamite: (whining) Mom! Billy pushed his cart into me and hurt my stomach.
(changing to an evil voice) And now I’m going to throw up on him! Idiot!

The cashier looked at us and we looked at her. Wow. Wish I had some of those.
Before you Oregonians get all huffy, I’m pretty sure they were tourists. From California.

Matt's going to kill me for telling you this, but we also spent part of our lay day watching Footloose on cable.
Haha - now, if I could only get Matt to do some Angry Jazz Dancing when he's pissed, instead of Angry Riding, we'd be set.

And...scene.
Okay - wake up!

Tomorrow - Christmas Valley

P.S. If you’re jonesin’ for some ride pics, go check out this post from neiltkool
He was doing the OBCDR from north to south, so the photos are in the reverse order, but it's fun to see what Crane Mountain looks like when it's not covered in snow.

LittleWan screwed with this post 10-08-2010 at 06:00 PM Reason: to replace that broken napoleon dynamite link!