Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2005, 12:42 AM   #46
KTMax
Ninth of the Nazgul

Oddometer: 1,099
Hmm... I think they are an exact and shameless copy of the design and development work done by Akra. Impressive performance to offer them cheaper...

Lets see how they perform on the dyno and how they hold up over time.

Pics & info @ MonoManiacs
KTMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 02:15 AM   #47
blue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Shameless copies or not, I'm not prepared to support a company that charges 939USD more for there product. Thats what I would have paid on top of the $$ I paid for my wings inc' shipping had I bought Akros locally.
blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 03:27 AM   #48
BLUE(UK)
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,423
If i hadn't bought my Akro's i sure as hell woulda bought some wings..........some companies just need the competition to bring down their prices........yes i know Akro puts a lot of money into testing and stuff but still no need to rip us off!!

Ok ok ok.........rant over!!
BLUE(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 05:16 AM   #49
dgrs2
Where'd I leave my knee??

Oddometer: 1,605
I think Akro set the bar for everyone else to follow. Made a great product, did the testing, put a HUGE price tag on something that doesn't justify the price, and there you go. Now every company making cans for the 950 feels they have to stick it to the owner. If you can afford the bike , you can afford the aftermarket price guaging, or so they think. The Wings are a pretty good example of a set of Akra "knock off's". Great price, including the shipping over to the states. Great look,feel,build. As for the dino testing.........don't need that, can pretty much tell that the cans opened up the mid to high end. Not much different down low. How long will they last?????? Only time will tell.

Smokin Hole Rally creator

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=767567
dgrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 06:53 AM   #50
1stiski
Ride that nasty thing

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUE(UK)
If i hadn't bought my Akro's i sure as hell woulda bought some wings..........some companies just need the competition to bring down their prices........yes i know Akro puts a lot of money into testing and stuff but still no need to rip us off!!

Ok ok ok.........rant over!!
I agree! Seems that the Akra owners out there are suffering from purchase anxiety! , Knowing that they paid waaaaaayyyy toooo much for their cans, But on the the same token, Hey you've got the cans that the competition bikes were sporting. Kind of like compairing ROLEX to TIMEX, both will perform the same function, yet the highend is marketed as "Uncompromising detail",, low end, "Keeps on ticking" consumer choice, aint it nice!
"Grim Brother" #1
1stiski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 07:22 AM   #51
AFekete
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,208
Akro's, Wings, and other cans....

There are many reasons for pricing policies which include marketing, r & d, shipping, etc. We all know this.

R & D is very expensive and it has to be brought into the pricing factor from day one. You just can't ignore that time spent and write it off as a loss. Try developing a product from scratch and attempt to figure out how much money it will take to make up for that development time. It's staggering.

The Akros' are very nice and the build quality is superior. There will be other cans available but they will have to meet the Akro's head on. To spend less on a setup and have it fall apart in half the time is wasted money.

I'm excited to receive the Wings Silencers and look forward to evaluating them alongside other brands of muffler systems. I have very high expectations!

In the long term forecast, they have to be able to take a beating (this testing will be helped along by Flanny), what are the repacking intervals?, how difficult is the can to repack?, will the noise levels increase to an annoying pitch?

I'm hard on my bikes and I expect the accessories that I purchase to stand up to the abuse. I'm always function over form.

Just my $.02...
-A
AFekete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 07:57 AM   #52
UppDK
n00b

Oddometer: 4
ABBA-wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stiski
Say hello to Annifred , Agnetta :rabia , Bjorn and Benny ( the ABBA group) for me!
Long time ABBA fan.
Actually, I can almost do that. A colleague's cousin (not Agneta) is married to Bjorn these days.

Mikael
UppDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 03:42 AM   #53
rah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
R&D expenses for a cat-less exhaust - floo flah! Here, akras cost 10% of the price of an entire 950. So KTM manage to R&D a complete, new tech, high compression, super-small v-twin motor, low CoG tanks, balanced & strong frame, suspension, electrics etc, pass various country's tests with expensive, power-sapping catalytic convertors etc, and some full-time exhaust maker comes along, using half the material produces a pipe that fits (sort of - read the earlier threads of the akra's not lining up) and manages to squeeze 10% of the price of the bike from KTM-o-philes. Clever marketing indeed.

I bought akras as i had little choice at the time. Similarly, whoever brings a good screen to market soon will make a killing. The Wings seem to be more than just rip-offs, they allow you a complete range of breathing/noise options, a bit like the super-traps. And they're listening to us - as spark arrestors are to follow.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:18 PM   #54
DJMARLEY
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 225
Install?

For those that have installed the Wings pipes, any suggestions or things I should know beforehand.

I just received these from Andrew (adventuresworkshop.com) and in the box was the two pipes (with one marked Left, both with attached phalanges. three hex head bolts each, hangers w/ rubber inserts, bolts for the hanger and a solution in a drop bottle.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:30 PM   #55
AFekete
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,208
Thumb Install...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMARLEY
For those that have installed the Wings pipes, any suggestions or things I should know beforehand.

I just received these from Andrew (adventuresworkshop.com) and in the box was the two pipes (with one marked Left, both with attached phalanges. three hex head bolts each, hangers w/ rubber inserts, bolts for the hanger and a solution in a drop bottle.
Remove old, install new.

Derek, they are a simple remove and replace.

Call me with any questions...

thanks,.
Andrew
AFekete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 06:59 AM   #56
DJMARLEY
Let's Ride

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFekete
Remove old, install new.
Andrew
I figured as much.

I'll be installing this weekend and maybe I'll get some pics posted
after.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:28 AM   #57
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer: 4,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMARLEY

The system looks similar to the Remus as regards mounting.

1) Make sure you insert the rubber pipe protectors to the metal hangers first

2) Check to see if you would need the donut gasket from your old pipes, these can be pulled out with an hook awl or a small screwdriver.
(A set of these may come with the pipes)

3) leave everything loose hanging before tightning, making sure everything lines up before torqueing.
Renazco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 09:59 AM   #58
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,755
[QUOTE=boejangles]

2) Check to see if you would need the donut gasket from your old pipes, these can be pulled out with an hook awl or a small screwdriver.

QUOTE]

The Wings do not come with a set of exhaust gaskets. You have to pop the old ones out of the stock mufflers.

Old 02-18-2005, 10:01 AM   #59
DJMARLEY
Let's Ride

[QUOTE=Deuce]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boejangles

QUOTE]

The Wings do not come with a set of exhaust gaskets. You have to pop the old ones out of the stock mufflers.

This is the kind of help I was looking for....
Old 02-18-2005, 11:31 AM   #60
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,738
I just got mine in today (Thanks Andrew!), and am VERY impressed with the quality and finish.

Can't wait to try them out on the beast! (I REALLY wish this annoying snow would melt!).
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote