Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2005, 11:54 PM   #61
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Mine showed up at my door this afternoon. I installed them in 1hr 30min taking time out to photograph the proceedure. I weighed both OEM CATs and the new Wings. OEMs = 10.5 lbs each. Wings = 5.5 lbs each. They are VERY well made. Beautiful craftsmanship! Hardware is fist class and went on like they were made for it

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 04:49 AM   #62
c munch
Destination unknown

Oddometer: 476
They look great but how do they sound,are they much louder than the oe cans?

good luck and have fun.
c munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 05:01 AM   #63
mrjemm
Clumsy Oaf

Oddometer: 350
Saving my pennies and...

I want, I want. Can you ask for them without the badges?

(Hmmm, what can I sell... a kidney, my soul?)
mrjemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 08:45 AM   #64
DJMARLEY
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 225
Wings install

Installed mine this morning.

Remove side planels to ease access to the three bolts. If you have the H-B
rack for the hard luggage you'll have to loosen/remove those as well to get the plastic side panels off. Loosen old hanger bracket and remove with pipe.

Now once the stock pipes are off you'll have to remove the copper wound donut carefully as this is reused as a spacer with the Wings pipes. Mount back with the spacer inplace, use the 3 new hex heads bolts that came with the Wings pipe. Fit up the hangers with rubber inserts and adjust pipe so they are aligned for their their oval shape. Tighten up and that's it.

Now if I had my bike on a battery tender it would have started right up...

So I'm leaving it to charge overnight and we'll do a sound test in the morning.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:17 AM   #65
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Derek is right on for the install. About 1/2 of the 1:30 it took me to install them last night was to r&r the luggage racks.

The sound is no louder than OEM, but are nicely mellow (very much like an Aprillia Mille). Performance is improved also. It was raining this a.m. on the way to work so I couldn't WFO, but the off idle bog that was present with the OEM cans is now gone. Pulls very cleanly now. I'll have more impessions after I get it up in the hills Sunday. It may just be my imagination, but the engine sounds a lot quieter mechanically than before. The rattle that used to dominate the sound at idle has disappeared, and was replaced with a clean thumpity-thump sound.

The Wings are much more industrial looking than the OEMs (that looked like they came off a "street-bike" The "look" of the Wings goes with the "adventure" part of the 950 name. The badges are riveted to the cans, but you might be able to special order them without. They don't show much with the luggage racks, and not at all with the bags on. If they are a problem for you, you can mount them with the badges inward (like with white wall tires). The most important part to me was that I could touch the cans after my ride this a.m.
-cp

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

Old 02-19-2005, 09:37 AM   #66
Kiwi Crusher
n00b

Oddometer: 8
New Wings!

Mine arrive this coming week. Can't wait to get em on the bike. Are th e wings stickers optional?
Kiwi Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 11:13 AM   #67
DJMARLEY
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 225
sound

Did not have to wait til morning for the battery tender to do it's thing.

Bike started right up, ran VERY smoothly and as cp said not much louder if
at all that stock. Did not pull the inserts out to test yet.

Definitely a lower end sound/grunt and the bike runs MUCH cooler. You can
touch the pipes while running...it's amazing compared to the stock pipe which
you could cook an egg on!

Personally the orange logo goes perfect with a KTM.

And as we all know...the blue GO!!! bike needs as much orange as possible to keep up with the faster orange bikes!!!
Old 02-19-2005, 11:56 AM   #68
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Wings install photo gallery

Here's a link to my SmugMugs gallery for the install:
http://cpmodem.smugmug.com/gallery/404289

I couldn't wait, so I took the Lipizzaner out during a break in the storm at work this morning...all I can say is WOW!!!! What a difference in the way this bike runs and sounds. The factory must have designed the LC-8 to use a low restriction exhaust, and the CATs just compromised everything for the sake of "Green." The difference in weight is only about 9-10 lbs, but it feels like a lot more; prolly 'cuz it was so high and far back. I need to put a sound file on my website so y'all can hear how good these beauties sound
-cp

-cp

Old 02-19-2005, 12:00 PM   #69
Jeepboy
Roost

Oddometer: 560
LOL, since blue is a primary color, the blue Go bikes must be faster, ie less paint weight.
Back to the topic, what is the sound of the wings silencers with the inserts removed? I'm after a stronger sound than stock. Don't want it as loud as my mx bike, but definitly want more sound.
Jeepboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 02:39 PM   #70
AFekete
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,208
Thumb all good news....

This is excellent!!!

Can't wait to put mine on

thanks,
Andrew
AFekete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 09:28 AM   #71
redboots
Johnny Lung

Oddometer: 141
I ran my Wings for a couple of days without the DBKiller. It's Loud. Wildlife and domestic animals running for cover.

My DBK's are of the larger diameter (there are 2 sizes).
I have now bought a spare pair and I'm going to cut the lenght down until I get to somewhere between std and open.

Marovic tells me that diameter will effect the noise more than the lenght but they are cheap enough to give it a whirl.....
redboots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 12:02 PM   #72
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

I just got back from running the canyons of the "Malibu Alps" this a.m. I got a chance to run through the full rpm range for the first time since installing the Wings. I'm happy to report that they work beautifully. The slight hesitation when opening the throttle from closed position that was present with the OEM CATs is now gone. Also, there was a slight flat spot around 6500 - 7000 rpm that made it seem like the bike was "coming on the cams" at 7000 rpm. That is now gone and the bike pulls linearly from idle to 9500+ without a bobble. Very clean running. It's been awhile since I've had a carburetted engine that ran so cleanly throughout the rpm range.

The sound is very pleasant; an observer compared it to the tone of a Flowmaster muffler. I think it is more reminiscent of the Aprillia Millie. Not at all obnoxious, but very authoratative. I had 'em shakin' in their boots up at the Rock Store Albeit there were only a 1/2 dozen bikes due to the muddy road conditions, hehehe.

Best of all, when I got back to my shop, I put the infared temp gauge on the Wings and got a max temp of 139 deg F at the tail pipe. The rest of the can was 95 deg F max. The OEM CATs would go over 350 deg F under similar conditions. Nice for cooking roasts; bad for human skin

IMHO, I would have to recommend replacing the OEM CATs ASAP, if you haven't already done so. And I can recommend the Wings as a viable choice.
-cp

-cp

Old 02-20-2005, 12:08 PM   #73
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Quote:
Originally Posted by redboots
I ran my Wings for a couple of days without the DBKiller. It's Loud. Wildlife and domestic animals running for cover.

My DBK's are of the larger diameter (there are 2 sizes).
I have now bought a spare pair and I'm going to cut the lenght down until I get to somewhere between std and open.

Marovic tells me that diameter will effect the noise more than the lenght but they are cheap enough to give it a whirl.....
My Wings came with only the small (I assume) DBK's installed and no extras. I half heartedly attempted to remove the DBK's yesterday when folks on the forum were asking about the sound, but they seem to be in there real tight. I didn't want to tear them up getting them out, as the DBK's in there sound great to me and the bike runs perfectly. Yes I did remove the small allen head screw What is the diameter at the tips of the two DBK's you have, Redboots?
-cp

-cp

Old 02-20-2005, 12:29 PM   #74
redboots
Johnny Lung

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmodem
What is the diameter at the tips of the two DBK's you have,
-cp
Mine are 32mm and you can get 28mm - bigger = louder
They are just an interferance fit. After you remove the alen screw, use a bit of thick cloth/leather with some grips that have a thin jaw and tap the grips with a small hammer. They come out quite easily once loosened
redboots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 03:52 PM   #75
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Quote:
Originally Posted by redboots
Mine are 32mm and you can get 28mm - bigger = louder
They are just an interferance fit. After you remove the alen screw, use a bit of thick cloth/leather with some grips that have a thin jaw and tap the grips with a small hammer. They come out quite easily once loosened
Mine came with 28's. I used your technique to remove them just to hear for myself how loud they were. Yikes!!!! Those suckrs do BARK!! There's nothing like a high compression engine to wake the dead. I think I would leave some kind of reducer in there even if I was racing this bike. No way you could sneak up on someone with these uncorked. They'd be great for getting revenge on a straight pipe Harley neighbor though

On the subject of cutting down the length of the smaller tip to get a compromise sound; I wonder if drilling holes around the inside part of the tip would have any effect.
-cp

-cp