ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2005, 06:06 PM   #76
Mully
Kineticist

Oddometer: 3,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmodem
The "look" of the Wings goes with the "adventure" part of the 950 name. The badges are riveted to the cans, but you might be able to special order them without.
-cp
Use the special countersink drill that comes with a Poprivet tool to remove the rivets, then carefully peel the badges off (heat from a hair dryer or heat gun helps to loosen the adhesive). Install new pop rivets in the holes for a finished look.

mully
Old 02-20-2005, 07:44 PM   #77
arroyoshark
Needing some space

Oddometer: 2,130
I wonder if you could just pop rivet some expanded metal lath to the inside tip of the Dbkiller tube to get the spark arrestor. Would this increase backpressure too much and affect performance?
arroyoshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 08:24 AM   #78
Stormraider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
[ I need to put a sound file on my website so y'all can hear how good these beauties sound
-cp[/QUOTE]
So, when can we enjoy the sound of your Wings? Are you posting the soundfile with or without the db killers?
I´m considering the wings as well, just want to hear for myself how they sound. I have heard the LeoVince-racing pipes live, and MAN they sounded LOUD AND GREAT, hope that the Wings sound similar without the db-killer!

2004 KTM 950 Adventure S GO!!!!!!! A.K.A "The Blue Beast"
Stormraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 09:43 AM   #79
redboots
Johnny Lung

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Mine came with 28's....... I wonder if drilling holes around the inside part of the tip would have any effect.
-cp
The 32 are louder than the standard cans... more like the acras. I ran mine for a couple of days without the dbkillers and it would not idle when warmed up without resetting the idle speed. Also found that the overrun popping was much worse. Recon you would have to rejet for it to run right.

Holes in the dbkiller? might work. I'm going to shorten mine spares first and see how that goes.
You can get the 32mm (or 28mm) dbkillers for 20 Euros from Marovic, (plus shipping).
redboots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 09:48 AM   #80
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
[/QUOTE]So, when can we enjoy the sound of your Wings? Are you posting the soundfile with or without the db killers?
I´m considering the wings as well, just want to hear for myself how they sound. I have heard the LeoVince-racing pipes live, and MAN they sounded LOUD AND GREAT, hope that the Wings sound similar without the db-killer![/QUOTE]
It'll be awhile. I'm heading to Kauai tomorrow for a month. If your're looking for loud, the un-corked Wings on the LC8 are LOUD. Louder than the un-corked Twobros cans on my RC-45. More like the sound of straight pipes. If that's what you want, go ahead, you'll be "public enemy #1" If you want a mellow, powerful, classic V2 sound, leave the dbk's in.
-cp

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 11:11 AM   #81
Stormraider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
It'll be awhile. I'm heading to Kauai tomorrow for a month. If your're looking for loud, the un-corked Wings on the LC8 are LOUD. Louder than the un-corked Twobros cans on my RC-45. More like the sound of straight pipes. If that's what you want, go ahead, you'll be "public enemy #1" If you want a mellow, powerful, classic V2 sound, leave the dbk's in.
-cp[/QUOTE]

Thanks cpmodem!
That´s the great thing about the Wings, you can choose between a more or less loud sound! That you cannot with the LeoVince...
Anyway thanks, and enjoy your trip!

2004 KTM 950 Adventure S GO!!!!!!! A.K.A "The Blue Beast"
Stormraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 12:13 PM   #82
1stiski
Ride that nasty thing

Oddometer: 1,617
Just mounted up the Wings, Nice and easy set up. I had them installed in about 1/2 hour. The fitment is right on , no issues and everything lined up perfect. I ran the db small and the sound was very subdued, (just alittle louder than the stock) then I put in the db medium (liked that sound alot, not loud , just that mean v2 sound) I haven't ridden the bike without the db killers, and don't intend to. No reason to wake up the neighborhood and piss people and animals off. This is a nice system and would recomend it to those who are reluctant. I've had many bikes over the years , all with an aftermarket system added on , and this system meets and exceeds all the premium systems I've delt with, Yoshi's, Kerker, Big Gun, Supertrapp, White Bros. Save your $$ and you won't feel like a victim of inflation and brand name rip-off.
"Grim Brother" #1
1stiski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 12:21 PM   #83
1stiski
Ride that nasty thing

Quote:
Derek is right on for the install. About 1/2 of the 1:30 it took me to install them last night was to r&r the luggage racks.

The sound is no louder than OEM, but are nicely mellow (very much like an Aprillia Mille). Performance is improved also. It was raining this a.m. on the way to work so I couldn't WFO, but the off idle bog that was present with the OEM cans is now gone. Pulls very cleanly now. I'll have more impessions after I get it up in the hills Sunday. It may just be my imagination, but the engine sounds a lot quieter mechanically than before. The rattle that used to dominate the sound at idle has disappeared, and was replaced with a clean thumpity-thump sound.

The Wings are much more industrial looking than the OEMs (that looked like they came off a "street-bike" The "look" of the Wings goes with the "adventure" part of the 950 name. The badges are riveted to the cans, but you might be able to special order them without. They don't show much with the luggage racks, and not at all with the bags on. If they are a problem for you, you can mount them with the badges inward (like with white wall tires). The most important part to me was that I could touch the cans after my ride this a.m.
-cp
Mine came with the set of db killers and the "wings" badges not attached nore drilled. Came with 4 rivits, but I siliconed mine on, since the ti dosen't get hot after running the bike.
"Grim Brother" #1
Old 02-22-2005, 09:16 AM   #84
AFekete
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,208
Thumb Spark arrestors coming..

Marovic is shipping me larger inlet baffles and a set of spark arrestors.

I'll post pictures when they arrive..

-A
AFekete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 01:18 PM   #85
dgrs2
Where'd I leave my knee??

Oddometer: 1,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFekete
Marovic is shipping me larger inlet baffles and a set of spark arrestors.

I'll post pictures when they arrive..

-A
I am curious to see what he came up with in regards to the spark arrestors. Do you know what he did Andrew?

Smokin Hole Rally creator

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=767567
dgrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 01:42 PM   #86
AFekete
Beastly Adventurer

Thumb Spark Arrestors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrs2
I am curious to see what he came up with in regards to the spark arrestors. Do you know what he did Andrew?
Dave,

No pictures available yet. As soon as I get this next round of cans, I'll take pictures and post them to out site. I'm thinking a little mesh screen welded into the end somehow...

We're also getting the larger inserts for the ends

thanks,
Andrew
Old 03-01-2005, 02:17 PM   #87
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,744
My wings have arrived!!!!

Here's the 950 with the beauts installed.

Installation was a snap (30minutes), and fit and finish are VERY impressive.

Can't wait to actuallt try them out (stupid snow!)

Thanks Andrew....Adventurers Workshop rocks!!!
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 12:36 PM   #88
MooreRon
Banned

Oddometer: 3,274
Sorry if I missed the answer to my question, but is there a carbon-fibre version of the Wings for the 950. I'm thinking that will look nice on a Jungle Fevah 950.
MooreRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 12:38 PM   #89
AFekete
Beastly Adventurer

Thumb Wings Carbon....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartkim
Sorry if I missed the answer to my question, but is there a carbon-fibre version of the Wings for the 950. I'm thinking that will look nice on a Jungle Fevah 950.
Not yet...

They come in two flavors:

Titanium
Aluminum

I will send an inquiry to Marovic

thanks,
A
Old 03-09-2005, 10:17 AM   #90
1stiski
Ride that nasty thing

Word of note for all those happy "Wings" owners. Be sure to re-torque your 3 can bolts after a ride or two. They loosen up, even with those fancy lock washers on. Ride on!
I'm running the large db killers and the bike has come alive. Love the sound and improvement in all aspects.
"Grim Brother" #1