Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2010, 10:54 AM   #301
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffrankphotography
That is the best photo I have ever seen showing what "the steps" are like. It is about a football field long and very intense. If you make it to the hairpin you are golden! Thank you for the photo.
Thanks and your welcome! You're right about being safe after you make it around the corner, going down to the small lookout is relatively easy. The recent rains made a couple small wet spots on the rocks which kicked up the fun factor!

Of course we have a couple shots of the switch backs from the lookout point too!!!!!

EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:59 AM   #302
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

I was very excited to head down the switch backs. This is what I really came for! We were about to get into the section we could see from the overlook on Imogene Pass which we crossed a couple days prior.

Good thing I had some practice riding next to cliffs, maybe too much practice.... I was confident riding on these switchback trails and having lots of fun. Like Chris said in his last post there was a problem with my turning radius on one of the switchbacks and I was within inches of certain doom. Looking back on that moment it was really stupid for me to risk my life to my feeble balancing skills.

A view of one of the famous switch backs, fun!!

Old 09-22-2010, 04:55 PM   #303
Oddball
Starting over

Oddometer: 140
Damn man that looks like fun. Thanks for sharing!
Oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:56 PM   #304
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,756
Fantastic pics!!
I was out last year and did Alpine loop (in my Tacoma, ha) then this year went out on the XC and road Hancock, Tin Cup, and Schofield. Just last week the wife and I did Imogene (in the Tacoma) on our way back from Moab.
In all three trips I don't think I took any pics as clear and as "picturesque" as yours. They are great. It's fun to go through them, and the videos also.
Great report, thanks for taking the time and effort.
I kept looking over at Blackbear from the safety of the Tacoma while on Imogene, and wondered if I'd have the guts to go down it on my bike.
Great accomplishment for some flatlanders creating an "Adventure."

Enjoyed it all..

Jeff
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:57 PM   #305
dogmoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Great Pictures

Cool report and great pictures.
dogmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:52 PM   #306
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddball
Damn man that looks like fun. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks dude! I can't say I had a better time since last year when I was on a tour of remote NM and west TX. Honestly anything that gets me away from my cube and closer to my bike is my ultimate get-away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildwoodMOCruiser
Fantastic pics!!
I was out last year and did Alpine loop (in my Tacoma, ha) then this year went out on the XC and road Hancock, Tin Cup, and Schofield. Just last week the wife and I did Imogene (in the Tacoma) on our way back from Moab.
In all three trips I don't think I took any pics as clear and as "picturesque" as yours. They are great. It's fun to go through them, and the videos also.
Great report, thanks for taking the time and effort.
I kept looking over at Blackbear from the safety of the Tacoma while on Imogene, and wondered if I'd have the guts to go down it on my bike.
Great accomplishment for some flatlanders creating an "Adventure."

Enjoyed it all..

Jeff
Haha, good you could get out with the wife! It should be easy to convince her to let you go down Black Bear on your bike after she has felt safe in the 4x4 on Imogene

I need to move out to Colorado soon to get the self proclaimed title of "flatlander" removed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmoon
Cool report and great pictures.
Thanks man! Here are some more from our decent on Black Bear!

A shot of the falls with some crazy guy on an orange bike in the pic

Another shot of the falls (sorry didn't turn out as good as I thought it would). This is the furthest you can go UP the switchbacks. We were pretty far down the switchbacks and there were some SUVs parked on the road side. I think past the entrance point to the falls they were not allowed to continue up.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:57 PM   #307
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

One more of Chris by the falls... this is a famous area for pictures anyway!

Old 09-22-2010, 09:56 PM   #308
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,760
Yay! I'm so glad you made it without further incident!

You guys did such an awesome job of documenting the trail, I almost hesitate to ask...
but, where are your triumphant photos at the base of the first waterfall (the waterfall creek)?!
We saw all the jeep people stop and take their photos there, so I got off and took a pic of BigWan and the bike.
I thought it was mandatory?

Anyway, excellent ride report - when I get to this stage in my RR, I'll be sending folks over here to admire your wonderful photos (since mine aren't nearly as nice).

The video was really fun, too - thanks, Chris. I know video is a pain in the ass!

Oso bored? you can find the rest of our ride reports HERE
make stupid your favorite!
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:59 PM   #309
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,552
Wolfman tankbag.
Great pics and vid!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:00 AM   #310
weave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
Another classic! Thanks for the report.As a fellow flatlander(low lifer) you guys really captured the "agony and esctasy" of ones first expierence in CO
Old 09-23-2010, 06:29 AM   #311
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan
Yay! I'm so glad you made it without further incident!

You guys did such an awesome job of documenting the trail, I almost hesitate to ask...
but, where are your triumphant photos at the base of the first waterfall (the waterfall creek)?!
We saw all the jeep people stop and take their photos there, so I got off and took a pic of BigWan and the bike.
I thought it was mandatory?

I'm glad we made it too! In retrospect the incident I had on the edge of that switchback was stupid of me. I remember being in a daze, tired and not keeping my mind on the task of riding.

We didn't know of creek pictures We had seen many dual sport riders take the famous shots at the lookout over Telluride at the bottom of the steps.

I'm looking forward to your pictures and your experience!! BigWan is really tall and sounds like a very capable rider so it will be fun to hear his perspective too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob
Wolfman tankbag.
Great pics and vid!
Thanks Bob! I love my Wolfman tankbag (small expedition). It really keeps the contents dry even though it isn't sealed (the top just fits over the bottom part loosely). I left the tank bag on my bike the whole trip even at night in the constant rains and the paper towels I keep in there to wipe my glasses with only got slightly damp from the ambient humidity. It is also small enough to let me move around while standing and if I really need to move forward on a hill climb I can usually push it out of the way easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weave
Another classic! Thanks for the report.As a fellow flatlander(low lifer) you guys really captured the "agony and esctasy" of ones first expierence in CO
Thanks weave! You are spot on about the bodily torment and mental excitement of coming to the high altitudes of Colorado for the first time. I had done some camping and riding in NM where I barely got to 10k feet at one point and averaged around 4-6k, it was nothing compared to camping at 10k feet for a whole week.
Chris didn't seem to be affected as strongly as I was, probably due to a healthier life style.
Unfortunately we weren't there long enough to enjoy the benefits of going down to sea level after acclimating to the high altitude.

Meanwhile...

We arrive at the bottom of the switchbacks. After passing the falls the trail became a full fledged road and we saw minivans and coupes driving up and down, full with tourists.

It felt great to have conquered the passes of Colorado (at least... never turning around). Both of us were ready to get back to civilization and get a shower (I think this was the longest continuous stretch both Chris and I have ever gone without a real shower). I will have to post my thoughts about the overall trip later since right now I have to get back to work!

We did see some crazy green ponds at the bottom of the switchbacks. Does anyone know what these are for? I'm guessing some old mining relics.

On this day of riding we still had to get back to camp which means we have to do Ophir again. This time we were going to do it backwards from our usual route and I was excited. I planned on really putting the spurs to it and racing over the pass, this was going to be fun!
Old 09-23-2010, 10:58 AM   #312
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

After completing Black Bear Pass we head into town and I make a quick stop at the edge of Telluride to try to secure my right mirror after it was knocked loose on the pass. No luck, I will have to fix it when I get home.

We make sure to be ready for Ophir before we go through Telluride, we didn't want to put a foot down in that town!

As we race up 550 and begin the long road into Ophir I reflect on the days events and how this week of riding has changed me. I know I have gained confidence riding my big bike over the rocks and ledges.

When we get to the bottom of Ophir there is a V-strom and some other bike starting up the trail. They are moving painfully slow and I hold back from honking at them hoping they will let us pass. After a while they stop for something or other and we rocket past them. I am charging ahead with reckless speed up the pass, using all the available horses from my steel steed.

In less than no time we are above the tree line and on the rocky path. We rapidly catch a small truck and he doesn't stop to let us pass (probably had to keep going in order to not lose traction). We stop and wait for him to get up to the top of the pass and then keep going at a blinding pace.

Heading east on Ophir the weather is absolutely perfect!!! I have to take a couple more shots before we reach camp.

Check out the rock-slide damage on that mountain face!

Old 09-23-2010, 05:05 PM   #313
JNG6
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Chris took a fancy to one of the guy's tank bags so I took a quick pic. Anyone know what these area?

That is a Wolfman tank bag but the blue bags are saddle bags for a dog that have had the harness reconfigured to work as tank bags. I think you can get them at REI....great idea...way cheaper than the tank bags I've seen for sale.
JNG6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:33 PM   #314
jackanory
I am Jack's wasted life

Oddometer: 476
sweet!
jackanory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:35 PM   #315
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,957
wierd bag on the drz

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX
Chris took a fancy to one of the guy's tank bags so I took a quick pic. Anyone know what these area?

i assume you're looking at the blue bags on the side of the obvious wolfman enduro tankbag... it's a OllyDog Dog Pack... interesting idea to use it on a moto. currently only $33 @ REI, which isn't bad for an extra 11.3 liters of space. (693 cubic inches = 11.3562354 liters) [ image links to rei.com ]