User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2012, 07:10 PM   #421
TDubben
Firing on 1 cylinder

Oddometer: 39
Wow!

Amazing ride report you got here!!! This ride report, along with your gps files, is everything I need for my trip there this coming September.

Speaking of that, it looks like from a previous post you were just there at the end of September. How was the weather? I know it can be drastically different when I go but I'm just curious. I plan to be there the last week of September this year.

Thanks again. Great Pictures too! I wish I could take pictures that well. Maybe it's time to learn.
TDubben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:58 AM   #422
MatSubZero
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Stick

"Ya can't beat that with a stick..........Oh, wait... You DID beat that with a stick.!!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX View Post

Now lets get to some riding! After setting up camp we wanted to get the bikes off the truck and make sure everything was running fine. Chris took a spin around the camp site.

No sooner did he return to camp and he is already breaking stuff. Must have been the lack of sleep… I think the root grabbed his wheel when he wasn’t looking.

No worries, we fix the canopy with a splint and some zip ties. Zip ties have to be the most versatile and invaluable survival/daily use equipment on the planet!

Old 02-18-2012, 08:30 AM   #423
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 817
Brown Dog, Do you happen to have tracks from this ride? Be nice to have for future planning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post
Thanks guys for your Suggestions & Info

We just returned home from Colorado riding over 610 miles 6 days all around Silverton,
Ouray, Lake City, Rico, Ophir & Telluride

I hoped to get a lot more miles in, but I broke a Chain

We did [not in this order] :

Red Mtn Pass
Eureka Gulch 3 times
Gladstone / Lake Como
Nellie Crk
Maggie & Minnie Gulch
Clear Lake
California Pass
Engineer Pass
Cinnamon Pass
Cork Screw Pass
Hurricane Pass
Stony Pass twice
Hancock Pass
Picayne / Placier Gulch
Ophir Pass including the Rocky Trail twice
Kendall Mtn twice
Black Bear Pass / Bridal Veil Falls
Yankee Boy Basin
Wager Gulch / Carson
Imogene Pass twice
Ophir Tunnel twice
Lost Trail Crk #821
Poughkeepsie Gulch up & down
All of Alpine Loop
Bolam Pass / Graysill Mine
Hwy 550 from Purgatory to Ouray
Rio Grande
Rico
Animas Forks twice
Tom Boy Basin twice
Creede
Pearl & Heart Lakes

That's all I can Remember

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:31 AM   #424
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBAT View Post
Brown Dog, Do you happen to have tracks from this ride? Be nice to have for future planning.
No sir I'm Ol School & ride by feel & an
Occasional peek at the map.

I studied ride reports & maps very well before my
First visit to the San Juan Mtns

We had a Zumo 450 with us but it was useless not having
the offroad info in it.

GPS Woulda been fine if I knew how to use one

This should also help

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612339

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191772

The owner of Silverton Hostel gave us some very
Helpful info too

This was the best area to stay in & ride well over
600 terrific miles of gorgeous Dirt scenery

Brown Dog screwed with this post 02-18-2012 at 10:11 AM
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:59 AM   #425
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDubben View Post
Amazing ride report you got here!!! This ride report, along with your gps files, is everything I need for my trip there this coming September.

Speaking of that, it looks like from a previous post you were just there at the end of September. How was the weather? I know it can be drastically different when I go but I'm just curious. I plan to be there the last week of September this year.

Thanks again. Great Pictures too! I wish I could take pictures that well. Maybe it's time to learn.

Thanks for the compliments I'm sure you will have a great time out there this September. You are right, we were there recently but haven't gotten the ride report done yet (it's a lot of content and we've been riding every weekend!!)

I've been lucky enough to go to Colorado three times now at different times of year and in several areas. Here are the conditions I experienced during these rides:

Mid August 2010 - Good temps (50-65 at elevation during day, 40s at night), rain daily in short intervals was mostly guaranteed this year. We had to change gear frequently... on the ride to the pass we bundled up, when we were on the pass we took off layers, putting rain gear on and off several times a day. Rain would come for short bursts but if you didn't gear up you would be soaked. Water crossings and trails were definitely manageable and took the rain well, there were many more puddles than I saw on other rides, we had permanent wet boots the whole trip. This shouldn't dissuade you from this time of year, the rainy season could shift earlier or later and we still had a lot of fun. Camp sites were only partially full, still managed and we were able to get our favorite spot at South Mineral. No snow on any trails. This time would guarantee open passes.

Late July 2011 - Perfect temperatures (50-60 at elevation during day, 30s at night), sparse daily rain rarely needing rain gear. Usually this time of year most passes are open but they had late snow and many passes were still closed (you must call ahead to local ranger stations if you plan on this time of year). I found my favorite camp site was completely full (South Mineral) and I camped at the alternate site, which was nice too but still crowded. The passes that were open (engineer, ophir, cinnamon, etc) had large snow tunnels that were fun to ride through, spots of snow around was scenic. The trails were in good condition, the snow melt doesn't seem to phase the conditions.

Mid/Late September 2011 - We are still working on this ride report, we were there with the small bikes (WR250R). The temps and weather was unbeatable, cold at night (sub freezing) and around 55 during day. No rain during the entire trip but there was snow a couple weeks before we got here at high elevation. The trails were in good shape but there was a challenging snow drift at the top of Imogene Pass where we worked with another group of four riders to get all six bikes across. We encountered a threatening snow storm but it barely dropped a few flakes on us in the end. Campgrounds were mostly empty and not managed (no campground hosts and only one toilet open... could be no toilets open later, no wood to buy at campground) but we got our favorite spot and had a blast. In other parts of Colorado we primitive camped. During this time I would certainly call ahead to check local weather reports.

That being said... I would recommend the later time of year (Mid September), possibly just after kids go back to school, especially if you want to be comfortable camping. If you don't care too much about camping the beginning of the season is very nice, just check with the ranger stations on the pass conditions (I found 9/10 of the ones I found to be very friendly and knowledgeable).

EnderTheX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #426
snow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Great report, I am looking forward to August and the rally.
IBA#16641 ride every chance you get.
snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:23 AM   #427
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,193
Have seen all your reports but this one is still my favorite... everytime I see these pics I get sparkles in my eyes

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:07 AM   #428
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
Have seen all your reports but this one is still my favorite... everytime I see these pics I get sparkles in my eyes
Thanks We are still working on a ride report from a while ago... going through not only Colorado but Utah as well. I am anxious to get something out there since we have been lagging behind. The weather in Texas is amazing and we have been riding every chance we get almost every weekend!
Old 07-06-2012, 08:52 PM   #429
Iron Rey
Oh shit, not him!

Oddometer: 816
Hi Chris and Oliver, I won't try to hijack your thread, but this thread is the one that got me thinking of the times in the early 80's when I was stationed in Colorado (Navy, teaching at Lowery AFB). Me and two of my buddies used to hit the old jeep trails, my friend had a CJ and I usually rode my KX 400 with the nut-buster steel tank, it wasn't the newest but it was an incredible dirt bike.

We usually rode in the Front Range part of Colorado but we made one memorable pilgrimage to the San Juan's, what I remember best was the shear joy of blasting up Engineer's Pass like a heathen with my hair on fire, now I was a very accomplished enduro rider at the time who competed extensively in California, of course this was nothing like that, I was hooked. I would have loved to have ridden more in that area but by the time I discovered it, Uncle Sam told me it was time to move to my next duty station.

Anywho, having read this thread earlier in the year, and this is a GREAT thread by the way, I decided I was going to see what I could make of it on my GSA...Now I would still consider myself an above average rider, but 2 years shy of 50 and considerably heavier, I knew this would not be easy.

I set up base camp in Durango (great KOA if anyone is interested) and was going to do day trips from there, I wanted to mix up off-road with some serious pass-blasting. I followed your example and started "easy" with the trail to Bandora Mine and Clear Lake, well, things got off to a rough start, I was on my way to the mine and I came into an area of the trail that was rocky (baby heads are a perfect description of the size and shape of the rocks), I was up on the pegs, watching my line and the next thing I knew the bike was bouncing like a bronco and I was off the road! I kept the bike up and ended up 20 feet off the road (and 20 feet down!) I tried walking the bike up but only succeeded in sliding farther down the hill...I laid the bike on it's side, but the hill was so steep it still looked like it was on it's side stand after about an hour and a half, a guy with his son in a four wheel drive came by and helped me push/pull it back onto the road. I had made a rookie mistake and had my suspension dampening set to stiff and did not turn off the ESA or ABS. Honestly, anywhere else on the passes and the mistake could have been fatal. The biggest indignity was I had perched my helmet on a rock on the side of the road, but not well enough and it proceeded to tumble down the side of the hill, there went my $1100 C3 (with com module) bouncing 500 feet down, other than some minor dings, the worst part was climbing back up the hill after retrieval.

I was a bit shaken after this so I just used the rest of the day to work the pavement and have some fun at speed, the next day I rode Ophir pass, it was fun and I gained much of my confidence back, I also realized that stock shocks with ESA leave a lot to be desired, I actually had my best control when I set dampening to normal, and further dampened by staying seated! Just at the end (I headed out of Ophir toward 550) of the talus shelf when you get to the switchback just before the summit I had caught up to a jeep, no biggie here, but it would have important implications later. I loved it, I used many of the same skills I teach students in the BRC, watch your line, not the obstacle.

The next day I was going to tackle Engineers Pass, starting at the entrance on 550, it is considered the toughest part (of Engineer's) it was brutal on the GSA, but I kept going, the problem came from the jeeps, they move so slow (and the have every bit as much right to be there as I do) that I was forever having to stop to let them get ahead of me, those that have been on that particular portion of the pass know that stopping and starting is not the easiest, the issues came down to the clutch, I was doing it (barely) but I was toasting the clutch so badly (it REALLY stunk and was starting to slip) that I made the decision to pull the plug after about two miles up and head back down. I really didn't feel like I failed, but it would have been nice to finish (I ended up going to the summit the next day from Silverton).

So why the write-up after I didn't even do hardly any of what I planned? (My goal was to do all the stuff you two did and then some more) I wanted to give some feedback, encouragement, and warning to anyone who wants to do this on a big bike, can it be done? Sure, and if you have the requisite skill I encourage you, after all, there was that local who did Imogene on a Strom! But please, these are not rides to see if you "have it" I do, for the most part, and it still could have ended badly. If you do, the stock shocks that come on the GSA really aren't up to the task, I would think Wilbur's or Ohlin's would be a much better option, as would a slipper clutch from A&S. I know that some of you will say I am a novice and that you could do these in your sleep, good for you. I know that if I had a more dirt oriented bike it would have been mission accomplished.

I do encourage everyone to go to the area and ride the great mountain roads and I still did hundreds of miles of gorgeous dirt and gravel where the bike was really at home, and met some other like minded riders and great locals (eat breakfast at the Brown Bear Café in Silverton, tell them Ryan says "hi").

I will leave you with a couple of pictures of Engineers...

Thanks again Chris and Oliver for the fantastic report, it was inspiring!

Iron Rey screwed with this post 07-06-2012 at 08:58 PM
Iron Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #430
child
poop is fun

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Rey View Post
Hi Chris and Oliver, I won't try to hijack your thread, but this thread is the one that got me thinking of the times in the early 80's when I was stationed in Colorado (Navy, teaching at Lowery AFB).

Thanks again Chris and Oliver for the fantastic report, it was inspiring!
Nice! Always good to see big bikes being ridden! That first stretch of engineer on a big bike and street tires would have been pretty interesting! Sounds like you made it past some of the hardest sections before turning back. Pretty cool! We never waited for the jeeps, they're way too slow. I think we'd still be in Colorado if we waited. Most of the time there was plenty of room and we scooted past no issues. If it was tight we'd just hang close til they could move over. I think we only ran across one small pack of jeepers that didn't seem to want us to pass. Bikes don't need a whole lot of room so we still got by, just a few corners later than ideal.

Thanks for all the kind words! Glad we could pay some of the info and entertainment back here at ADV. Like Oliver has mentioned, we've got another ride report from last year (almost literally last year now!) coming. Just gotta quit riding on weekends and start hammering it out...
Arkansas 2010
child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:49 PM   #431
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Rey View Post
I set up base camp in Durango (great KOA if anyone is interested) and was going to do day trips from there, I wanted to mix up off-road with some serious pass-blasting. I followed your example and started "easy" with the trail to Bandora Mine and Clear Lake, well, things got off to a rough start, I was on my way to the mine and I came into an area of the trail that was rocky (baby heads are a perfect description of the size and shape of the rocks), I was up on the pegs, watching my line and the next thing I knew the bike was bouncing like a bronco and I was off the road!
Glad you could get out there and experience these awesome trails! You highlight a good point for this area; the difficulty of the trails will change throughout the year… I’ve been on the Clear Lake trail now three different times of year and I think the most difficult was early when there was a lot of loose rocks right after it was dozed. Be careful out there!

It sounds like you got through the difficult part of Engineer’s Pass from the 550 entrance? Unfortunately we didn’t document this section very well but from what I remember it was a hellish hang-on-for-dear-life start on a big bike, then one rocky switchback that was a bit iffy and then it smoothed out. I want to do it again on my WR250R but I probably won’t be back with my F800GS. I’m sure that was the closest I’ve gotten to pinch flatting on the trip!
Old 07-19-2012, 07:34 AM   #432
woodzrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
This is an awesome RR. Your photos are most excellent. I have been riding that area for the last three years and have covered all of the same trails plus maybe a few more. Reading your report made me feel as if I were there riding
these roads again. Fact is, I'm leaving tomorrow morning for Pitkin Colorado, only this time i'll be on an atv instead of bike (sold KTM 450 exc last august but will be on a new one soon). Can I do an atv RR? kidding.....Can't wait to get there and smell the crisp mountain air and pine forests.....Just drooling thinking about it.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500314
Baja report http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641219
woodzrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #433
gravityisnotmyfriend
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 991
There was several times while reading through your RR report that I had to actually slow down and admire your pictures. Almost everyone of them are on par with art. You posted so many of them that it's easy to skim over without appreciating them, but there is so much really good content there. I feel tempted to wax poetic about the way the light reflects off Oliver's many piss streams. But that would just be weird.

I appreciate the fact that you guys slowed down and took the time to document your adventure so thoroughly. I always find myself caught up in the moment and always regret not taking the time to get more pictures and video.

I'm in the embryo stages of planning a trek through the Colorado mountain passes myself. It won't be next summer, and probably not the summer after. But, hopefully by the summer of '15 I'll be able to put this wealth of knowledge to use.

Thanks!
gravityisnotmyfriend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:13 PM   #434
Secondtear
Secondtear

Oddometer: 582
Wow. Thanks, guys! Fantastic writing and photos. Hey locals...how likely are any of these passes to be open in late May? (I know...just have to ask.) My brother is coming into town and I'm hoping we don't have to go to Moab to get in some good riding.
Secondtear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:52 PM   #435
malloy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 702
Bump for a great report!!!!