Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2010, 05:54 PM   #76
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,707
OK guys, I have the file for the first day of our trip in Colorado ready for download.

Please right click this link and hit "Save Target As" to download the tracks.

http://www.seestoryrun.com/gallery/_...acks-day-1.gpx

or http://www.seestoryrun.com/gallery/_...acks-day-1.zip

Here is the overall map again for Day 1:

EnderTheX screwed with this post 08-29-2010 at 06:53 PM
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:02 PM   #77
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Here is a view of the trails from Google Earth.

This is Bandora Mine Trail

This is Clear Lake Trail (definitely a must see!!)

This is Ophir Pass from looking from East to West, the flag is not exactly at the pass.

This is Bolam Pass, also a lot of fun and scenic. Not exactly sure where the actual pass is but we had fun going from west to east.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:19 PM   #78
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

The next morning we awoke to another great day. Today we would ride some more challenging roads. I was feeling much better than the first day we arrived and ready for action. Neither Chris or I are morning people so we didn't wake up until 9 or so.

Being the first one up, I started a fire. Fire is surely an essential tool and companion in any camping situation.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:06 AM   #79
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

As we start to head out the weather looks good...

But then as soon as we are ready it starts to rain again. Oh well, we put on the rain gear and head out towards 550. Today we will be starting on Engineer Pass!!

This is the start of Engineer Pass off of 550 near Ouray. The book states that the most difficult part of Engineer Pass is the very beginning at this state. There is a bypass road you can take to start the trail after the difficult part. We were about to find out what the book meant when it rates a trail as difficult!

Old 08-30-2010, 09:59 AM   #80
dirtypumpkin
"Monster Truck Bike"

Oddometer: 13,847
Great report, thanks for sharing the pics & tracks.
If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies,
jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears. -- Glenn Clark
dirtypumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:18 PM   #81
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtypumpkin
Great report, thanks for sharing the pics & tracks.
Thanks man There should be more tracks, maps, and videos as I get the rest of the pics posted!

Continuing..

We shoot up the beginning of Engineers Pass (starting from 550) and it is SUPER rocky. This is some of the most challenging riding of the trip and I am concentrating on keeping up my momentum. The rain had made the rocks slippery but my tires, especially the K60, took it in stride. I can't tell you how many times I felt like the bike was going to break in half or burst the tires over the rocks but I hung on and gunned it. Unfortunately we didn't get any pics of the real rough stuff (sigh...) but we did stop at the first opportunity to get our breath and high-five.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:21 PM   #82
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

The road was fantastic! I've never felt so exhilarated and I know that my riding experience is growing exponentially as I traverse the rocky shelf roads. I was worried about my abilities to ride this terrain with the 500 pound bike but this trip has instilled some real confidence in me.

We come across a cool old mining structure on the trail...

Old 08-30-2010, 08:51 PM   #83
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

At some point the trail became pretty hairy, the rock ledges were steep and jagged but we picked out lines and got through it.

We were going to Engineers Pass of course!!!

Old 08-31-2010, 08:06 AM   #84
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

The shelf roads on Engineers Pass are amazing, I could ride this all day. Lots of them have loose rocks and steep cliffs but nothing too crazy. This is the ultimate way to travel through the mountains and it lets you access places normal cars can't go.

The switchbacks in the lower right of this picture are the trail we are on, the stuff on the left is another trail.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:59 PM   #85
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

I rather like this picture... it was spectacular to come into this field high up in the mountains above the trees, a rather alien landscape.

Even up here there is a lot of evidence of mining, these guys were crazy!

Old 08-31-2010, 07:59 PM   #86
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Here is my GPS at the same spot as the last picture, we just crossed above 12000 ft and still have a long way to go.

Chris takes a second to admire Engineers Pass... An ATV creeps along in the distance.

I just can't get enough of these steep mountain pass roads, the ground is nice and solid and it's a lot of fun to use the F800's power up here. I'm sure it isn't producing near as much as at sea level but it's got enough to keep going.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:13 AM   #87
child
poop is fun

Oddometer: 246
Oliver is a VERY calculated person, especially when it comes to new things. He likes to calculate out every little detail and know exactly what is going to happen prior to getting him self into something. Every morning he would pour over the book with the trial ratings, reading and re-reading the descriptions. Trying to figure out exactly what made this trail a 4 and that trail a 3. I could tell Oliver was worried about Engineer Pass. This was the first trail we tackled where the book mentioned large rocks and ledges.

I'm pretty much the polar opposite; where Oliver pours over details and plans things out, I laze about and procrastinate, letting chips fall where they may. This is especially true when it comes to trails and difficulty. I'm fine with using a book to find routes, especially in Colorado where we can barely find north, but I'm not ok with a book telling me something is hard. I'm always up for a challenge; I want to see the hard stuff myself and make my own call.

I think our two modes of operation work well together, we kinda balance out. If it weren't for Oliver planning out routes we would have been coming down passes in the dark and freezing cold every single night. As it was, he had us back with always enough sunlight to get a fire going and started on dinner . If it weren't for me always pushing Oliver to try a trickier trail, we'd have spent the whole weekend driving up and down 550 .

This would be the first trail I had to use some peer pressure to keep Oliver interested. As he mentioned, the rain had started and the sun was no where in sight. On our way to the trail head, Oliver pulled over to adjust his rain gear. Oliver expressed his doubts and questioned if we should push on, "what if its muddy and slippery... i dunno man...". No no no, we only have a week, lets ride to the trail head and see how it goes, we can't just sit at camp. At a minimum, we sit at the trail head and wait for the weather to change.

He begrudgingly agreed, and we ride on through the rain towards Engineer Pass... Of course as soon as we got there, the gray clouds move on and a beautiful blue sky came out. AHA! No excuses! Bring on the ledges!!!

Of course once we get going we both handled the trail well. It was a LOT of fun, probably one of my most favorite passes. Although on the back side it got a little crowded with rentals coming up from lake city and other places on the much much easier/smoother routes. At least Oliver and I knew we took the fun route :P

After the fun technical stuff, before the tree line.

I didn't get any pictures of the real good stuff, muey regrets, I guess we'll have to go back
Arkansas 2010
child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:01 PM   #88
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Very true Chris, I do like planning stuff out but I think it is fun to be prepared even when plans go wrong. Next time we will know more about where the fun stuff and good pictures are so we can document the hairy stuff better.

At this point in the Engineer Pass trail we came across the "Oh Point" as it is marked on the maps. This point is actually higher than the pass itself at 13,000 ft (the pass is at 12,800).

Old 09-01-2010, 07:14 PM   #89
vwdrvr66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
We Chose poughkeepsie because the book said "difficult"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX
At some point the trail became pretty hairy, the rock ledges were steep and jagged but we picked out lines and got through it.

We were going to Engineers Pass of course!!!

Did you guys go back for this one? It was a fun one....

vwdrvr66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:32 PM   #90
child
poop is fun

Oddometer: 246
OH MAN!

That stuff looks FUN! We didn't go back for any gulch action, no :( Next time though... next time.
Arkansas 2010
child is offline   Reply With Quote