User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2010, 09:36 PM   #91
child
poop is fun

Oddometer: 246
Oh! Point.

13,000 feet and a 360 degree view of amazing, oh! indeed.
Arkansas 2010
child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:16 AM   #92
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,707
Oh yeah!

Time for some bike pics!

EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:53 AM   #93
ktmklx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Great ride guys, I am taking notes!
ktmklx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:07 AM   #94
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

The actual Engineer Pass is kind of anti-climactic if you come from the west side like we did, the Oh point is more spectacular (I think you can see the pass from the Oh Point). Regardless we got a picture because I've always wanted to ride this trail.

Starting on the way down on the east side we instantly noticed the path was much smoother and wider. Everyone and their mother comes up this side and few go down the west side.

We saw a patch of snow even this late in the summer but it was really old and dirty, interesting pattern though.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:33 PM   #95
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Going down into the valley (heading east) the riding gradually became easier and traffic increased. There was a cool new house in the middle of nowhere but it was build directly next to the trail . You would think someone who wanted a house way out here wouldn't want to hear jeep traffic outside all the time, I think on a nice day there are more cars past this spot than at my house in Dallas.

We stop for another picture, Chris has his fancy camera in the pelican case on the back so it takes a while to extract.

Alpine tundra is cool stuff. I know it is fragile but I saw people camping on it at some spots.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:16 AM   #96
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Continuing down the east side of Engineer Pass the scenery was amazing and the riding easy so we took some moments to take it in.

These mining ruins won't be here too much longer....

I was surprised at the quality of these roads, you would think the winder snow would cause more damage, maybe they already repaired them?

Old 09-03-2010, 09:11 AM   #97
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

A cool aspen forest we were riding through, the going was very fast as the road was in great shape and easy to navigate.

Following a river in the valley.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:20 AM   #98
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer: 1,036
I love the coolness and fragrance of Aspen forests.... Need to bottle it and pipe it into my house... :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX

A cool aspen forest we were riding through, the going was very fast as the road was in great shape and easy to navigate.

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
wswartzwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:41 AM   #99
child
poop is fun

Coming down from Engineer pass...

Tinkle time
Arkansas 2010
Old 09-03-2010, 11:19 AM   #100
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wswartzwel
I love the coolness and fragrance of Aspen forests.... Need to bottle it and pipe it into my house... :)

Too bad they don't grow in harsher environments like here in Texas. I like the "clean" feeling of the aspen forests when you can see only the trees and there is not much underbrush.

Continuing on the path down Engineers Pass, I see another F800GS fly by me and don't get a chance to stop and talk to him. Just a short distance later I find another anniversary edition F800GS stopped on the side of the road and I pull up to see who it is.

These two brothers are on a tour across the US on the TAT with their heavily decked out BMWs equipped with all the gadgets you need or want. I am the worst with names so I forgot this guys name, I know he is on here, anyone know these guys?

Oh yeah, and while I was talking with my new F800 buddy Chris was off showboating, trying to spin his bike around in the dirt.

The other F800 guy sees him go down and leaps off his bike to go try to help. I tell him "Don't worry about him, he does it all the time" and Chris picks up his bike by himself quickly.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:24 AM   #101
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

More views of the guy's bike. I mentioned that the other side of Engineer Pass was relatively difficult compared to this side and he looked a little worried. They were carrying at least 3 or 4 times as much gear as we were and I think the bikes had stock suspension but I told him he could get through it no problem. I don't know if he took the easy shortcut to Silverton or the harder through trail to Ouray...?

Old 09-03-2010, 03:01 PM   #102
child
poop is fun

Hey now, I was just trying to let the other folks on the road through. The tight turn around was due to a lack of space, not showboating!!! This is standard practice! The dropping... well it happens to the best of us

And that f800 guy said his name was motorad something or something motorad... something like that. They were from San Diego...
Arkansas 2010
Old 09-03-2010, 07:50 PM   #103
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Further on down the way (after Chris was done showboating ) we came upon a large ghost town. This was well preserved and kinda spooky, almost like the tortured souls of the long gone miners still were searching for the American Dream... minerals and metal.

A really cool old dam spanned the river but I noticed it wasn't holding any water back...

Upon closer inspection it had a huge hole in it! Oh well, anyone trying to harness this river is crazy anyway!

Old 09-03-2010, 07:54 PM   #104
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Chris stops to repair his bike... what is it this time? The bolt holding his GPS in position brakes because it is mounted into plastic instead of metal on the KTM instrument and headlight cluster.

I don't mind stopping for a while because at this point my feet are completely soaked after lots of rain and puddles... I try to dry my riding socks with some spare paper towels, cursing myself for not bringing spare socks on the day ride (I brought a ton of spare parts and gear... why not socks?? ). The boots are totally soaked and the fresh pair of socks would have been wet within a few minutes anyway...

Old 09-04-2010, 09:37 AM   #105
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Once we arrived in Lake City, Chris had to buy a new pair of goggle and I was on the lookout for some food. This place had a Texas flag outside and boasted "Texas BBQ" so we stopped in for a pulled pork sandwich, good stuff!

There was a ATV/Snowmobile/Motorcycle store at the north end of town so Chris got his gear and we were soon headed for Cinnamon Pass!