Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2010, 10:41 AM   #106
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,715
Cinnamon Pass starts off nice and easy from the east side, heading west. There are a lot of what I call "jeep ruts" all over the place and hard to avoid. These are basically giant potholes that the jeeps hollow out especially in corners.

I think the poles on the side of the road is for the snow plows... We saw these on Engineer Pass as well.

Getting close to the pass... This was a nice and easy road, I really enjoyed it because I could take in the scenery while I was riding.

EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:12 AM   #107
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,018
This is a great RR!! Love seeing you 800GS up there. Did you do any mods to the bike? I ask because I ride similar stuff in Peru on my stock bike, but people are saying the suspension is not good. I find it soft, but I like that.
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:56 AM   #108
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007
This is a great RR!! Love seeing you 800GS up there. Did you do any mods to the bike? I ask because I ride similar stuff in Peru on my stock bike, but people are saying the suspension is not good. I find it soft, but I like that.
Hey man, thanks, yeah I have quite a few mods on the bike, it handled really well. I don't think I ever truly bottomed the suspension on this ride and it was a miracle I didn't hit the bash plate coming down Imogene Pass (I think we ride that in the next day in the ride report).

My suspension has the progressive Hyperpro springs with some heavier fork oil and it feels really good. Honestly I have never ridden one stock so I can't compare.

Other modifications include:
- BMW Bash Plate
- BMW Head Light Guard
- BMW Hand Guards (holding up remarkably well after 20+ crashes)
- SW Motech Crash guards (awesome!!!!!)
- Akrapovic Exhaust (sounds good without the baffle)
- Supposed modified engine mapping (I bought the bike used and the previous owner said it was modified, at least it runs great).
- Vario rack on back (use it for my soft bags only)
- Hard wired GPS with mount.

Other than various random guards and wires that's about it

The previous owner set it up for dirt riding and he has been racing dirt bikes for many years and does enduro rides with his KTMs, after 3k miles of the F800GS he decided he didn't want it and bought a KTM 690E instead... To each their own I guess, I love my bike!
Old 09-04-2010, 09:36 PM   #109
motomark39
I reckon so

Oddometer: 1,061
Cool2 That Cabin......

[quote=EnderTheX]Going down into the valley (heading east) the riding gradually became easier and traffic increased. There was a cool new house in the middle of nowhere but it was build directly next to the trail .

That is Henry David Thoreau's cabin (1817-1862) author, poet, naturalist, abolitionist, tax resistor, development critic, surveyor, historian, philosopher, and leading transcendentalist. He is best known for his book Walden, a reflection upon simple living in natural surroundings, and his essay, Civil Disobedience, an argument for individual resistance to civil government in moral opposition to an unjust state.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:38 PM   #110
child
poop is fun

Oddometer: 246
nnnnnoooo...

Thoreau's cabin was in Massachusetts on Walden Pond... (hence the book, Walden). I'm pretty sure that cabin was built by some rich guy, who may or may not have been named Henry.

...or maybe my sarcasm meter is broken? Your thorough (thorough, Thoreau... har har) post and the wiki links suggest my sarcasm meter is with in calibration limits.

[edit]
Ok, after some searching online, lots of people are claiming its Thoreau's actual cabin, which is wrong. It's a cabin thats simply built in honor of Thoreau. Thoreau's actual cabin was tiny and actually modist; something i'd say this cabin in colorado, is not.

Thoreau's actual cabin looked more like this:

[/edit]
Arkansas 2010

child screwed with this post 09-04-2010 at 11:54 PM
child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:07 AM   #111
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,546
Great pics, gotta go back and look closer at your route.
Thanks.
Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:20 AM   #112
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob
Great pics, gotta go back and look closer at your route.
Thanks.
Hey Bob, I am going to link up the full GPS tracks here and on the first page. I hope everyone can use them to plan a trip and explore this amazing area! The track file includes all 5 days of recorded tracks, unfortunately I don't have "intended routes" since we kinda played it by ear.

Please right click and "save link as" to download the zip file, there is a Garmin specific version and a GPS exchange version of the tracks.

http://www.seestoryrun.com/gallery/_...ado-tracks.zip

Oh yeah, I am also going to post this on my original post.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:49 PM   #113
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVExplorer
Hey Oliver and Chris,
Excellent RR and adventure! At the present, I'm on a multi month adventure with plans to spend September exploring Colorado before heading to Moab for a while. Seeing your RR, I've decided to extend my time from 1 day to 3 in the area you explored. I'll just need to pick which of the 3 of your 5 days will serve me best.
Cheers,
Stu
Hi Stu, thanks for the compliment, safe travels on your ride.

If you would pick the three out of five days to explore in the area I can make a recommendation based on trail difficulty and scenery. These are the three days I would do (refer to the full gpx tracks I linked earlier and on the first post). I will also refer to "the book".

No particular order:

9-AUG-10 Track
On this track I would recommend doing the following:
- Start from Silverton and do Clear Lake Trail (25 in the book).
- Go north on 550 and do Ophir Pass from east to west (#20 in book).
- Go south on the highway until Bolam Pass and go west to east (#28).
This should take about 8 hours total to get back to Silverton.

10-AUG-10 Track
Definitely spend a day doing Engineer Pass (west to east) and Cinnamon Pass (east to west). This will take about 8-9 hours and is definitely worth it.
If you are confident in you skills go north from Silverton on 550 and start Engineer Pass from Ouray off of 550. If you want an easier ride you can shortcut from Silverton by going north on the Animas River and taking the fork from Animas Forks to Engineer Pass. Honestly if I was solo in the area I would take the shortcut but the F800 can easily do the whole thing. The book will explain the shortcut.

12-AUG-10 Track
This was tons of fun and very scenic. The book rates these trails higher in difficulty but I found them relatively easy.
- Start from Silverton and go north to Animas Forks and take California Gulch. (#12)
- Keep going from California Gulch directly onto Hurricane Pass and then head back to town (#14).
- Go north on 550 to US Basin 14 and do that south to north (#24)
- At the immediate end of the US Basin 14 trail take the red mountain trail (it is not in the book but you can see it on my tracks). This trail shouldn't be missed and goes by so many mines you will start riding past them to save time.

The other two days are tough, 11-AUG-10 shows us doing Imogene Pass, it is very scenic and tough in spots, do-able but I would go with a buddy.

13-AUG-10 shows us doing Black Bear Pass, there is a reason it is known as the most difficult 4x4 trail in the area. The difficult part is only about 200-300 ft long but I had to have Chris help me get the bike down. This trail is really more of a "I did it and I am a badass" trail.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:54 PM   #114
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Chris riding up Cinnamon, the clouds are rolling in again! This trail is awesome!

The pass is just over the hill!

Old 09-05-2010, 12:59 PM   #115
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Looking back on the weather I worry for a fleeting moment about getting hit by lightening. I know we aren't doing the smart thing by being above the treeline with all the storms around us but we choose to ignore good sense. I can't hear much thunder and most of the rain storms we have encountered do not have lightning.

We made it! The pass!

A couple people are up at the pass but soon clear out. We spend a good 1/2 hour up here just hanging out, taking pictures and eating some snacks. This has to be one of my favorite passes to be at, the sun warmed us while we watched the storms roll around the mountains and there was a great sense of isolation when the people cleared away. Just what I needed after being burned out at work.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:45 PM   #116
child
poop is fun

Oddometer: 246
This day we'd be putting rain gear on and off and on and off more times than i'd like to do again. Maybe I need better rain gear, but putting gear on and off sure puts a damper on spirits. No matter, pick your head up and look around, let the sights take your mind off discomfort.

On our way up!

Arkansas 2010
child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:07 PM   #117
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Chillin at the top we take a minute to take some photos...

Old 09-05-2010, 06:08 PM   #118
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Did I mention this is my favorite pass area? I could spend a lot of time up here and I will definitely be back!

Old 09-05-2010, 06:10 PM   #119
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Oh heck, why not. Here is another picture of me at this pass. We took so many pictures I can't share most of them but you can see we had a good time. I have such a big grin under that helmet my cheeks hurt!

Old 09-05-2010, 07:07 PM   #120
airjammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
I know that guy.

Great ride report, guys. I was up there a week before you got there. Hey, The yellow dodge truck parked at the engineer pass road belongs to Ron Skeen. A terrific guy, he rides his 4 wheeler up there alot. He likes yellow.

Anyway, great photos. what camera?