Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2012, 07:23 PM   #61
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,454
Great thread. Amazing to read about trips from the other side of the world.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:03 AM   #62
rockydog
just a guy

Oddometer: 799
Great pics and wunnerful writing style. Kinda timely for me, waiting on a quote from Eimship to ship my bike to Iceland from Halifax, anybody out there done this? Or recently airfreighted from northeast coast? Now back to your irregularly scheduled rr...

Rockydog woofs the Isles, British Isles
rockydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:43 AM   #63
Cyclenaut
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
I'm in !
Cyclenaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:08 PM   #64
bc_seattle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Sunday & Monday

HeyWhatever - Yes yes yes… this is the "crown jewel" for anyone with even the slightest interest in geology. If you are both a geologist and ride motorcycles well then you have no excuse but to get your tail over there soon.

Even having visited many geologically interesting areas in US I was unprepared for how "alien" the landscape felt, especially in the highlands. You don't have to be a scientist to appreciate that some very unusual stuff is going on in Iceland. If you wiki Mid-Atlantic Ridge you will see a map of Iceland with this ridge ripping right through it dividing the North American Plate moving west and the Eurasian Plate moving east. Wild and makes sense.

Padmei - thank you…

Rockydog -- I'm sorry I don't have any details on shipping for flying your bike but it would seem that you should have some good options… We had originally looked into flying our bikes over from Seattle and my recollection was that it wasn't as expensive as I had have expected. Since we were simply out-and-backing to Seattle vs. being on a segment of a longer trip we opted to rent. Happy to help out any way I can sharing what I learned... route info... etc. although by no means am I an expert.

Now more Iceland and a quick recap:

I arrived a almost a week earlier in the early morning at Keflavik, met Manny in Reykjavik, had breakfast, got our bikes from Biking Viking and hot tailed it out to the Highlands without doing a proper gear / food inspection. Got "last fuel" too early, ran out. Both thought the other had brought food for the team. My stove would not work with Icelandic fuel of any sort. Amazing riding mixed with hunger, fuel outages, rescue and then recuperation at Lake Myvatn, aggressive Icelandic bugs and all. Long hours and one lane, two way tunnels across the North coast to the Westfjords. Amazing views, mountain crossings, yes of corse lots of fjords, epic riding including tide-stress beach riding, abandoned and presumably haunted houses etc etc etc.

Manny is an excellent travel companion but of course whenever you travel with another you have to work out certain things and there are always some degree of differences. I'm sure my frequent stops to take pictures had to tax his patience. Another issues between us might have been related to fjords. On this trip I learned that I might have a bit of a fjord-fetish. Driving an hour around a deep fjord when you can almost jump across it somehow gives me great pleasure. I'm a hater any of the existing or proposed tunnels, bridges, etc. designed to save travelers time. I'm for taking the fjords in their full glory.

Anyway, I think I had pummeled Manny into fjord submission driving around fjord after fjord (never grows old for me). So we skipped the southwestern most land finger of the Westfjords (Látraheiđi I believe) despite the famous puffins and red sands (at low tide). Next time.

So we decided investigate taking the Ferry to Stykkishólmur (aka "Sticky 9") in order to actually spend a day in Reykjavik on our way out. Turns out fate wanted us on that ferry. It sails once a day and we happened to show up within 35 minutes of departure.

Manny with camera.

Our ferry.

Sunshine on the ferry deck which I sort of get isn't all together that common an occurrence. Reminder - when I tried to buy sunscreen at a grocery store because my nose was getting burned not only did the store not sell sunscreen, but the clerk had never heard of it. Just to set everyone's expectations. But we lucked out:

It doesn't get much better than this. I broke my don't ride-after-drinking rule but a) it wasn't full strength beer b) we had a couple of hours before we arrived and c) all we were doing was getting off of the ferry and finding a hotel. So glad I did.

We also met a super nice family of five that had been camping and doing the wild hot springs thing throughout Iceland.

[Feeling very dorky that I had somehow ended up wearing my only two items of Nike clothing that I own at the same time and in a picture. A blue Nike hat and a matching blue Nike shirt. Nice work BC.]

Flatey I believe:

Our destination:

Sunset (about as dark as it gets):

Ok Manny and I still can't kick the hunger thing. In fact I probably should simply rename the ride report "The Hunger Games." While the ferry had a tasty beverage for us, we held out on the iffy looking food wanting to actually splurge and have a good sit-down meal. I had built up quite a hunger spanning the last couple of days. Well we dorked around finding a place to stay and probably took too many sunset pictures. By the time we arrived at the recommended restaurant it was like 11pm and they were closed! As was every other food establishment and we gave it a good try. There was no food to be had, even hotdogs. We finally settled for another beer and a piece of small icelandic cake. More stomach rumbling which turned out to be a frequent feature on this trip.

The next morning:

This dude was out walking with his mom and was enthralled by our bikes. Note the hat. July in Iceland = March in Seattle. Love the mouth protection… good for riding.

More if you happen to like water views:

We hit some dirt as we worked our way south across the Snćfellsnes which is a peninsula between the Westfjords and Reykjavik. Nothing too crazy. I learned two things this morning looking up Snćfellsnes on the wiki: 1) the peninsula is said to be "Icleand in Miniature" because it has so many Icelandic features in a relatively small area and 2) the volcano on Snćfellsnes was the setting of the Jules Verne novel, Journey to the Center of the Earth. Who knew.

Back in Reykjavik!

Some fellow local dirt riders admiring our bikes.

Ok we broke down (my fault) and went to the Blue Lagoon. Check out these cool rides.

Swim here:

Not here:

Some proper eating (dinner):

Some proper eating (breakfast):

The fellows we ran into on their 1200GSs on 910… bumped into them again in a hotel lobby. And their bikes.

Reykjavik shot.

Sadly we had to turn in our bikes to Biking Viking but we got to hang out with Eythor for a bit. Can't say enough about him. Not a chatty email or phone dude but he knows motorcycles, he knows Icleand, and he comes through when you need him.

Then off to the airport the next morning. Here's the funny thing: we had a couple wee bits of weather but frankly had it pretty good. On the bus to the airport it starts to pour combined with high winds. A real monsoon. We watched a soaked couple on their bicycles basically lose all forward momentum to the wind as they struggled to ride from the airport to Reykjavik. I'm hoping it wasn't a honeymoon or if it was that one of them (I'm imagining the guy) didn't twist the other one's arm to do Iceland on a bicycle instead of a five star hotel on Maui with matching "just Maui'd" tee-shirts. It might be a long trip for my man…

Manny out:

And thank you, thank you, thank you. Thank you to an amazing country. Thank you to Biking Viking and Eythor. Thank you to the amazing people (Icelandic and otherwise) we met. Thank you to Kawasaki for the KLR 650. And especially thank you Manny and again, Happy 50th! (ok a little late on that one).

and back to Seattle…

I can't promise many things in life but I can promise that you won't regret a trip to Iceland.

bc

[all pictures, unless otherwise noted are copyright "bc_seattle"]

bc_seattle screwed with this post 08-19-2012 at 01:25 PM
bc_seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:55 PM   #65
bc_seattle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

icelandic translator please...

curious if anyone can translate this sign... it was in one of the abandoned houses in the Westfjords.

BC
Old 08-21-2012, 05:12 PM   #66
rwavaktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Iceland

Awesome Ride report. After finishing your report I added Iceland to my Bucket List!
Thanks for letting us tag along
00 KTM 640
07 ST 1300
rwavaktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:20 PM   #67
Einarkv
Einvil

Oddometer: 3
Translate,,

[QUOTE=bc_seattle;19413008]curious if anyone can translate this sign... it was in one of the abandoned houses in the Westfjords.

Hi BC

This sign says:
"Picking berries is prohibited on this farm.
Permits sold by
(the three persons listed at the bottom)"

Einar
Einarkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:08 PM   #68
whatsgnu
Scheissekopf

Oddometer: 282
Thank you ! Fantastic writing and pictures !
Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic.
whatsgnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:30 PM   #69
bc_seattle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

ahh mystery solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einarkv View Post

Hi BC

This sign says:
"Picking berries is prohibited on this farm.
Permits sold by
(the three persons listed at the bottom)"

Einar

Thanks Einar,

I can tell you that no berry picking had occurred on that farm for a long time. Further, this former farm was so remote that it is difficult to imagine that folks in the neighborhood where much of a problem. Appreciate the help... mystery solved.

rwavaktm - Iceland is such a good bucket list trip that it is already on mine again. I'm scheming to figure a way out to return next summer. I'd like to do old route 910 in the highlands and explore parts of the island we didn't get to.

whatsgnu - super appreciate the comments!

BC
Old 08-23-2012, 11:32 AM   #70
rockydog
just a guy

Oddometer: 799
thanks for the offer to help with routes, etc. one thing you could do for the inmates here is add a post with a link to your rr in the trip planning forum. I'm editing this post with a link to a ebook by a couple who traveled in Iceland. this is a breakdown of costs, but lots of other well written aspects of iceland. And thanks for your budget breakdown a couple of posts down from here, bc.

http://unleashyouradventure.com/our-...e-we-spent-it/

Rockydog woofs the Isles, British Isles

rockydog screwed with this post 08-28-2012 at 06:28 PM
rockydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #71
toothy
Grin

Oddometer: 14,178
Wonderful travelogue.

I want to do that in a few years with my awesome bride of twenty something years.

In round figures can you cite what I can expect to pay for the bike rentals and similar accomodations, don't factor the airfare.

Thanks.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #72
bc_seattle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

re: Icelandic budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothy View Post
Wonderful travelogue.

I want to do that in a few years with my awesome bride of twenty something years.

In round figures can you cite what I can expect to pay for the bike rentals and similar accomodations, don't factor the airfare.

Thanks.
Toothy,

Excellent question! And yes, please do take your bride to Iceland. If she's stuck with you for 20+ years she deserves the vacation and I'd recommend exploring the natural hot springs more aggressively than we did on this dudes trip. And a quick setting of expectations: the hot springs (and the water in general in many cases) smells either strongly or vaguely of sulfur depending where you are. You get used to it but better to properly manage expectations with your gal.

Here's a run at a budget not including flights (which were very reasonably priced on Icelandic Air btw):

10 days bike rental from Biking Viking (rates as of 9/2012 as published on their website:
http://www.bikingviking.is/?c=webpag...6&option=links
EUR 125/ day for thumper 660cc or less (for 7 days or longer) = EUR 1,250 = US$ 1,568 as of this morning.
x2 for you and your gal = US $3137.
Don't be tempted to spend the money for the more expensive bikes. The thumpers are the way to fly in Iceland. Go small. Make sure you get good dirt tires.

Accommodations for 10 days:
I believe we camped all but three nights. I think we paid between EUR 100 - 200 a night when we did the hotel thing. Hotel Tindastoll (if you get up that way, a must stay) quotes Icelandic Krona 35,000 per night for a deluxe room… about US $192 / night. That is high end for the countryside, you could definitely spend far less outside of the city.

So for 10 days:
6 x camping (EURO 15 / night) = $114 (only if you stay in a campground is there a fee… you can camp many other places for free)
4 x hotel (assume US $160 ave.) = US$ 660
so call it $1000 for accommodations.

Food:
$500 (total swag… may be light)

Misc.:
$500

So call it all in, for a 10 day adventure of a lifetime with your wife, not including travel, for US $5,137. No doubt mere pennies for 20+ years of marital bliss.

Hope this helps!

And hey, I'm about ready for a job offer from the Icelandic tourism board.

bc
Old 08-31-2012, 05:33 PM   #73
Cowgirl
Cougar on the prowl

Oddometer: 3,893
Great report, thanks!

I was supposed to go to Iceland next month but with one thing and another the trip got postponed to next June/July. This RR makes me determined to go!
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:44 AM   #74
Hollyr
Vesterislendingur

Oddometer: 682
Cindy, if those pics didn't convince you this one will!

Guides working for Icelandic Mountain Guides recently put up a group photo on their Facebook page. On the picture the guides, all men, appear completely naked.
According to mbl.is, their boss wanted a picture of the group and they responded: “He was happy when he saw the product,” one of the models exclaimed. The guides work in Skaftafell and take tourists up on Svínafellsjökull glacier every day. All the guides there at the time were male.

The guides challenged their female colleagues at Sólheimajökull glacier to follow suit (or no suit) and produce a similar photo.

However, it does not seem likely that that will happen, because Facebook was not amused and took the photo down after just one day.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:13 AM   #75
Cowgirl
Cougar on the prowl

Oddometer: 3,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollyr View Post
Cindy, if those pics didn't convince you this one will!

Guides working for Icelandic Mountain Guides recently put up a group photo on their Facebook page. On the picture the guides, all men, appear completely naked.
According to mbl.is, their boss wanted a picture of the group and they responded: “He was happy when he saw the product,” one of the models exclaimed. The guides work in Skaftafell and take tourists up on Svínafellsjökull glacier every day. All the guides there at the time were male.

The guides challenged their female colleagues at Sólheimajökull glacier to follow suit (or no suit) and produce a similar photo.

However, it does not seem likely that that will happen, because Facebook was not amused and took the photo down after just one day.

Yep, definitely looks like my kinda place
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote