User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2010, 01:45 AM   #1
alan OP
if the helmet fits..

Oddometer: 44
exhausted!

I am looking out for an aftermarket (narrow) pipe and I was wondering if there has ever been any comparative testing between the expensive and the cheap offerings.
I am guessing that the more established companies (Micron, Akro, Two Bros etc) would develop the product and increase power whereas smaller more cosmetic/budget companies may just roll their own universal end can then fabricate a connecting pipe without the same extensive testing?
This would no doubt save weight and sound a lot better but is it worth [aying the extra for a known performance brand?

alan screwed with this post 08-22-2010 at 05:41 AM
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:42 AM   #2
Chop Chop
Hector erector

Oddometer: 1,669
I went for the Beowulf can as it was much cheaper than the established brands. I was mainly after weight savings and a nicer growl. In my previous experience with aftermarket cans, the performance is neglible and not worth the extra coin. I saved about $800Aus going for the beowulf instead of the bmw akro can. Though I would of also purchased a leo vince as well.

If you don't want the piss taken, stop giving it away!
Chop Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
alan OP
if the helmet fits..

Oddometer: 44
That's what I'm thinking too. The weight saving and less obtrusive size will be greater benefit than two extra bhp especially as you pay twice as much for the branded cans. Might be a different story if I was racing but 85 horses is enough for me

alan screwed with this post 08-23-2010 at 12:56 PM
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:12 PM   #4
mapuda
Crash Tested

Oddometer: 265
I bought the Leo Vince. Got it from Bike Bandit for $399.00. Also if you get on the BB email listing they will send coupons now and then.

Love the Leo. I am more about the function than the bling.
mapuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:45 PM   #5
AKTroy
BE AWARE OF TRAINS

Oddometer: 2,225
The Beowolf is awesome! On the less expensive side of thinks to. Great look, sweet growl and sleek design.
AKTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:51 PM   #6
Bushwhacker
Dirt, Sweat & Gears

Oddometer: 442
I have the Two Brothers which I think is very reasonably priced compared to the Akrapovic.

Plus it is much lighter and sounds better and claims a couple of HP increase.

When you look like a rude, crude, scum sucking cretin, people tend not to ask you stupid questions!

Bushwhacker screwed with this post 08-23-2010 at 10:22 PM
Bushwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:54 PM   #7
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,247
Cans

Just installed my carbon fiber Leo Vince from Renazco Racing yesterday. Much lighter than stock. Good sound, also. Great price (their price was the best) too!!!
Old 08-23-2010, 09:58 PM   #8
Renazco Racing Store
Parts, Gear & Such

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyRider
Just installed my carbon fiber Leo Vince from Renazco Racing yesterday. Much lighter than stock. Good sound, also. Great price (their price was the best) too!!!
Let's see it!

Renazco Racing

Online store: http://www.renazcoracing.com
Phone (0800-1600 Mon-Fri, Pacific or off-hours if we can take your call): (707) 902-DIRT
Email: store@renazcoracing.com

Renazco Racing Store is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:32 AM   #9
lmclamore
Citation Collector

Oddometer: 412
Thread revival

After wrestling back and forth with a distributor about the definition of "in stock", I appreciated this thread's title. Long and short of it is I ordered a Beowulf black painted oval stainless "shortie" today.

Beowulf owners still happy?
Old 03-13-2011, 11:19 AM   #10
BMW_BIKER_KEITH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Italian MIVV exhausts

Been very pleased with this full carbon fiber product from MIVV.
Lightweight, and much narrower than stock can...!
Their US distributor- PJs parts LLC are great folks.

Check em out: http://www.pjsparts.com/catalog/inde...24_415_417_418
Old 03-13-2011, 02:32 PM   #11
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,278
I ain't spent a flipping dime on exhaust. I like the stock exhaust. The sound ain't bad. It does not burn it's way through you luggage. I will save as much in pounds by getting a lithium battery. The increases in power and performance of aftermarket Exhaust exist only in your imagination. I won't ever have to repack it. Go ahead and flame me, truth has it's own reward. Spend your money on something useful. Dave
Old 03-13-2011, 03:04 PM   #12
lmclamore
Citation Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckerdD View Post
I ain't spent a flipping dime on exhaust. I like the stock exhaust. The sound ain't bad. It does not burn it's way through you luggage. I will save as much in pounds by getting a lithium battery. The increases in power and performance of aftermarket Exhaust exist only in your imagination. I won't ever have to repack it. Go ahead and flame me, truth has it's own reward. Spend your money on something useful. Dave
I felt exactly the same until about 2 weeks ago. Don't know why after all these years I want a little more rumble. I don't believe for a second there is any performance change. Just looks and sound differences. That is one of the reasons I am interested in Beowulf...the price is somewhat reasonable.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:33 PM   #13
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 859
The main motivation for me to get an aftermarket exhaust is so I can fit a set of balanced pannier racks, such as those made by Holan and Metal Mule. That stock can is just too fat!
2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:10 PM   #14
Wicket009
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmclamore View Post
After wrestling back and forth with a distributor about the definition of "in stock", I appreciated this thread's title. Long and short of it is I ordered a Beowulf black painted oval stainless "shortie" today.

Beowulf owners still happy?
I was happy with the Beowulf shortie w/carbon tip, but my neighbors had a different opinion. Especially when I would leave for work at the crack of dawn. Even with the DB killer installed, it had to go to keep the peace. Huge weight savings and great value, but I am back to the stock can for now. Looking for other options and not interested in repacking. The Beowulf did seem to get much louder after 2000 miles or so. Looking at the Remus or Akro, but trying to justify the cost....
Wicket009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:28 PM   #15
lmclamore
Citation Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket009 View Post
I was happy with the Beowulf shortie w/carbon tip, but my neighbors had a different opinion. Especially when I would leave for work at the crack of dawn. Even with the DB killer installed, it had to go to keep the peace. Huge weight savings and great value, but I am back to the stock can for now. Looking for other options and not interested in repacking. The Beowulf did seem to get much louder after 2000 miles or so. Looking at the Remus or Akro, but trying to justify the cost....
Boy...thanks for the warning. I live in a townhouse community and leave very early as well. We'll see how this goes. Repacking needed already at 2,000 miles, huh?