User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2014, 02:47 AM   #1
RMOTO OP
Doing secret stuff

Oddometer: 189
RemoteMoto.com - The New Zealand Diaries

So what’s all this about then? Well, way back in 2007 I launched a website called Adventure Guide where all the routes and trip info from adventure riding and fly fishing trips around New Zealand were put up for public use. 7 years later the site grew in size and gained popularity but because it was only a personal side-line project it was slow going adding content and the website functionality lacked advanced features.

2014 changed all that however. After two years of full structure redesign and ten solid months of intensive programming the result is a fully redeveloped website boasting an arsenal of new features specifically for adventure riders. Sounds good huh? The name of this new website is RemoteMoto.com

Aside from maintenance pit stops, 2014 sees me on the road the majority of the time GPS logging for the website. Chunks of time are spent in motels and other bases with internet so the routes, campsites, huts and other attractions can be added to the RemoteMoto website at rapid speed while also working on my main software development business. This thread will be a diary of my travels and the new routes that are added to RemoteMoto…
RMOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:48 AM   #2
RMOTO OP
Doing secret stuff

As 2014 rolled around it brought the first official trip for logging new routes for the Remote Moto website. On this trip I was accompanied by a good mate, we managed to strike great weather and have a cracker trip...

After a blast up the tarmac from Karamea to Nelson, the first taste of off road was up through the Maungatapu

A crazy number of bees were interested in something along the shores of Maitai Dam

On this leg our local tour guide was Nordieboy, thanks mate!

After saying goodbye to Nordieboy it was off to Elaine Bay to camp up for the night

Eating tea on the beach and watching the sun fall away was a great way to wind up the first day
Old 07-08-2014, 02:49 AM   #3
RMOTO OP
Doing secret stuff

Next day it was off to French Pass

Thumbs up if the scenery is freakin brilliant!

French Pass

Looking out over French Pass

After French Pass we had a looksee at Bulwer which had equally magic views

Old 07-08-2014, 02:51 AM   #4
RMOTO OP
Doing secret stuff

After being treated with lots of ocean vistas it was off to the Wangapeka Valley to camp for the night

The Wangapeka running low and clear

One of the many Blue Ducks up the valley

Next day it was snooping around side tracks as we made our way back to Karamea

The Owen River

The Buller River

After a number of side roads it was returning via a favourite track of mine, the New Creek to Denniston Track

The last crossing of the Mackley before eventually hitting tarmac and returning back to base and load the new content to the website...
Old 07-08-2014, 01:04 PM   #5
RMOTO OP
Doing secret stuff

With a big trip planned down south it was an oil change, a new set of rubber hooves, a quick check over the bike and hit the road. This trip was a mixture of GPS logging new content for the RemoteMoto website, meeting up with Phil from Motorbikin to do a filming session for one of his New Zealand series DVDs and then catch up with some lads for a trip planned down in the deep south.

Leg #1, Karamea to Christchurch, bring it on!

It was a cracker day to hit the road for a tarmac blast

Nearing St Arnaud the temperatures started to climb

Wairau River on SH63

Nearing Blenheim it was up around the 34 degrees mark

Heading out from Blenheim on SH1 the landscape soon switched to dry and barren

Not too far out of Ward a cool ocean breeze dropped the temps and made for a pleasant ride down the coastline

Lots of seals out and about sunbathing on the rocks

So that was leg one, a simple but enjoyable tarmac blast down to Christchurch and a couple of days spent catching up with family and friends
Old 07-08-2014, 01:05 PM   #6
RMOTO OP
Doing secret stuff

Leg #2 - Christchurch to Omarama to High Country

This leg was a tarmac blast to Omarama, catch up with some family, then head South and sink my teeth into some remote country and fly fishing

Big beautiful lakes along the way

At this stage the tarmac was done and it was time hit the gravel roads and 4X4 tracks

Several river crossings stood between me and where I'd planned to camp up, some quite small while some fairly decent in size

This crossing, although looking quite tame, was pretty gnarly. Big boulders, deep pockets and fast water

After lots of sweating and bike wrestling I reached the destination to put the tent up... and what a place to do that, spectacular views!
Old 07-08-2014, 04:29 PM   #7
RMOTO OP
Doing secret stuff

Strapping on the fishing boots, yehaa!

The next day kicked off with a sold walk up a clear beautiful river with a healthy stock of cunning brown trout

They were wise and wary and it took a while to discover what they were feeding on. Once I'd figured that out, they started coming to the net =)

As the day was coming to an end it was fairly rewarding to wind up the day landing this golden beauty...

...and setting it on its way again

Old 07-08-2014, 04:30 PM   #8
RMOTO OP
Doing secret stuff

Wild and wet weather

Overnight a front pushed almost a day early. The wind was insane almost the whole night and allowed for very little sleep. The rivers were up, quite a bit, and I was 5km up the valley so it didn't look promising to get out as I had two decent rivers to cross and meet up with Phil and the team for the DVD shoot

The wet weather brought out the sandflies in the thousands, needless to say it was a quick pack-up of camp and on the bike that morning!

As suspected the rivers further downstream were to deep and dangerous to cross. Waiting it out was the only option

Old 07-08-2014, 04:33 PM   #9
RMOTO OP
Doing secret stuff

Next morning

What a difference a day makes! Beautiful blue skies and low clear water allowing an easy exit of the valley

The same river as above but now running low and clear

The ride out was great. It was then off to grab a shower and a quick blast into Milford Sound

Dropping down from Homer Tunnel

The almost vertical bluffs blow me away each time I visit this place, dang New Zealand is awesome!

Old 07-08-2014, 05:50 PM   #10
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,196
Nice shots mate! Keeping the location of the secret fishing spot quiet are we? It's a neat area, is there still an old hut up there? It was looking a bit rough last time I visited.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:33 PM   #11
RMOTO OP
Doing secret stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz View Post
Nice shots mate! Is there still an old hut up there? It was looking a bit rough last time I visited.

Cheers
Clint
Hi Clint, thanks for the kind words, it sure is a spectacular valley. The hut is still up there, the condition of it is getting worse by the day however it is still standing!
Old 07-08-2014, 06:35 PM   #12
RMOTO OP
Doing secret stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz View Post
Keeping the location of the secret fishing spot quiet are we?

Cheers
Clint
Haha, in this case yes, but for good reason. One of the major drivers behind RemoteMoto is to showcase New Zealand for what most of us Kiwis consider a riding paradise. All the route access information will be available on the RemoteMoto website however in some cases when I mix flyfishing and riding together I'll intentionally not publicise specific locations if fish populations are low or are in a fragile spawning area where making the information publicly available could potentially lead to overfishing without the practice of catch and release resulting in adverse affects on fish populations.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:40 PM   #13
RMOTO OP
Doing secret stuff

After an overnight stay in a motel it was off to Gore to be a good son and take my mother out to lunch for her birthday

Needs more trailers!

More fishing

After a night in Gore it was north again and up to a hut and spend a couple of days chilling out and fishing. Things started out according to plan...

After a magic ride and nearing the destination, while doing a little shy of 100 clicks a sheep popped up from out of nowhere and headed straight for my front tyre. I managed to scrub off a lot of speed and veer to avoid it but not before a violent highside, some cartwheels from both me and the bike and the final thud of the bike landing on me. For a while I laid there conjuring up the energy from my sore body to lift the bike off me.

The smile was a result of the fact that this was a pretty hefty off and although I was in almighty pain, I could still wiggle my toes and fingers and nothing appeared broken. Wohoo!

Hang on, that ain't right
Old 07-08-2014, 06:41 PM   #14
BillUA
Las Vegas, NV

Oddometer: 84
Thumb Nz

I like the way you roll brother!

Hope to get to NZ for a motorcycle tour someday.
2002 WR 426 Hot Cams
BillUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:42 PM   #15
RMOTO OP
Doing secret stuff

So it was off to seek mechanical and medical aid from relatives that lived nearby in Omarama. Thanks Paul and Linda!!

I had an A&E nurse check me out. My main concern was that I had planned to meet up with some lads in a few days for a ride and wanted to make sure I wouldn't do any damage if I rode. She assured me nothing was broken but there was soft tissue damage and serious bruising. I was advised that riding is not really recommended and that I should rest and recover instead. As lovely a lady as she was and not discrediting her medical knowledge, I had full plans to head off on the trip =) I did try and behave though and did my best to rest up and keep a pressure bandage on for the two days leading up to the trip.

With painkillers doing a great job of subduing the pain it was time to meet up with these lads and head off into the mountains for a couple of days of epic riding

The weather looked after us very well. At the altitudes we were going, if a strong southwest wind kicked up it would have been a bitter place to be, it was however brilliantly still, warm and just a few spectacular clouds to keep the temperature in check

One of the first things we did was go and check out an old plane crash. Later on we were told by a farmer that the plane crashed up on the hill, but because it kept on being reported as a new crash by other planes flying over, the military used explosives to blast the plane down the hill and out of sight. That's one way to do it!

Some of the wreckage in amongst the matagauri