Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2011, 02:27 AM   #406
bart-nz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
she has a 2 day birthday?
Her birthday is Sunday. Apparently I'm baking a cake on Saturday with the help of my 3 year old. That should be a laugh. I think he's got better cooking skills then me.

Quote:
can't you get a new wifey with a different birthday?
It's hard enough trying to keep the one I've got happy. Just imagine starting all over with a new one. I'd be all worried about farting in bed, and snoring, and stuff like that.

Sorry about the off topic Steve. Nice carberators by the way.
bart-nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:34 AM   #407
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRSNUT View Post
Sounds good but probably not until sat or sun 20 or 21st may. This weekends weather is gales sat & rain sun..
so what about this Sunday then

Tony looks like a starter and Eddieb has been making vague noises about wanting to head over there so he may be interested

weather looks good

we can all go hone via Dannievirke and eat some of Mrs Barts birthday cake
Old 05-18-2011, 02:25 AM   #408
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
Basil ? Love it. Took a ride on my Basil last Sunday, down the road to Muriway. Stopped outside the cafe, rolled back to the kerb, stuck the side stand out and proceeded to drop my Basil. From cool to fool in 0.5 seconds.

I had toyed with the idea of selling Basil (it's growing on me), but with the new starter, the smile is back on my face.

Love the photos of the carbs, they're nice clear. I've done mine a couple of years ago, because of excessive consumption. Now it's around 6 liters/100km. I can live with that.
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:36 AM   #409
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,148
Quote:
So what about this Sunday then..weather looks good. Tony looks like a starter and Eddieb has been making vague noises about wanting to head over there so he may be interested. We can all go home via Dannievirke and eat some of Mrs Barts birthday cake
Sounds like a plan. I was walking hime tonight thinking we needed to get this organised, & Sunday works well for me. Do we want to advertise this as an official Wellington Rideout in the other forum? What time & where to meet? Toppy's at 9.30?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli
I had toyed with the idea of selling Basil (it's growing on me), but with the new starter, the smile is back on my face.
That's good. You'd be mad to sell your bike. Quite apart from the fact that its a nice bike. It's the pick of the late Airheads. Have you seen what they are doing value wise overseas?

It's just better when there's twins involved....

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 05-18-2011 at 03:41 AM
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:14 PM   #410
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,741
Quote:
Sounds like a plan. I was walking hime tonight thinking we needed to get this organised, & Sunday works well for me. Do we want to advertise this as an official Wellington Rideout in the other forum? What time & where to meet? Toppy's at 9.30?
I posted on kiwibiker

see you at 9.30 at Toppy's
Old 05-18-2011, 11:55 PM   #411
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,567
Blah blah blah
Can't youguys start up a new thread for your ghey cruising mens toilets activities & return the content to Bavarian wiring & engineering
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:30 AM   #412
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Finally fixed the carb bog.

I've been chasing this since I bought the bike. The bog came when you throttled on, after closing the throttle. I had been working on the basis it was a lean condition (the butterfly opening).

Last night I played with the needle position. Taking the needle down one position to the third clip (making it richer) made the situation worse. Taking the needle to the first clip was too far. I finally fixed it by replacing the 2.66 needle jet with a 2.64. I reset the mixture screws out to 1 & 1/2 turns out. Test rode it last night, but couldn't be sure I'd cracked it because it was so cold (dense air). But today the bike was the best I've had it. Smoooooth.

I also has a go at improving the rear brake, by deglazing the drum & the shoes, repositioning the drum brake lever slightly to a 90 degree angle at actuation, & raising the brake lever to it maximum height (so I could get a better stomp on it). I filled the brake inspection ports with silicon (in the absence of the proper plastic fittings, and filled the centre of the wheel with a modified hanger off a broom, so that today stream crossings didn't fill the drum with crap. Whilst all this had an immediate impact, by the end of today the bike was back to square one. Next steps new shoes, & to reposition the cable pull on the brake lever.

Finally I've replaced the inside paralever pivot. The old one was worn, which killed the pivot bearings. I see that my new bearing are also on their way out, so will need a new set there too. Maybe should have replaced these as a set, but unfortunately when I replaced the bearing last time I hadn't realised the pivot would also be toast.

Sutherlands Hutt:

Sunrise from my kitchen window this am

Today Matt, EddieB, Tony, Mark & I headed over to Wairarapa, initially to Tui's (formerly Toppy's) for coffee, then into the Aorangi Forest Park to Sutherlands Hutt.

Come one Guys, was it something I said??

Two of us made it to the top of Cnut Hill. I'll give you some hints. It wasn't me, Tony, or this character, who needed to make repairs to the mighty DR. I'm sure he'll post embarrassing stream crossing video in retaliation...

Congrats to Matt & Mark. That hill is a hell of a knarly...Steep & lots of erosion ruts, loose rocks etc

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 05-22-2011 at 04:04 AM
Old 05-22-2011, 04:08 PM   #413
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Eddie better not damage my tank!
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:06 PM   #414
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Eddie better not damage my tank!
Too late. After the Naki Nutters ride and having to drag the bike around on a steep slope on this ride it's looking a little scratched.

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:04 AM   #415
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddieb View Post
Too late. After the Naki Nutters ride and having to drag the bike around on a steep slope on this ride it's looking a little scratched.
So it matches this one now...
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:02 AM   #416
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Really like this bike for the way that the GS11** swingarm conversion is executed

Makes this look achievable for me. Loads of photos in the link.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:50 AM   #417
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

It's an impressive bike. A lot of love has gone into that bike. The R80Gs is such a loveable turd that people keep trying to polish it.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:27 PM   #418
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
It's an impressive bike. A lot of love has gone into that bike. The R80Gs is such a loveable turd that people keep trying to polish it.
You've been watching that Mythbusters clip too much.

Does that make us old farts??

Old 05-29-2011, 01:39 AM   #419
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Damage & fixing the RS.

So are the rear spokes supposed to have a kink in them like this?

My R100RS has been sitting sadly in the corner for a while now. Originally parked because the main & oil seals were leaking, I have also robbed it of parts to get Gus up & running.

Unfortunately the sitting hasn't been kind to it. So I've decided to get it up & rolling again.

First steps is to reinstall the alternator & associated wiring. I had replaced the OEM with an Enduralast that's now on Gus, so the OEM needs to go back on.

Yes Kokopelli, your alternator does use Diodes. The diode board sits above the alternator in perhaps one of the most hostile environments to electrics. Here it is as I reassemble wiring. I've taken out the starter to get access to bolt up the 8mm nuts at the rear of the mounts.

The system consists of alternator (rotor & stator), rectifier (diode board) - which converts AC to DC, & regulator (which sheds charge above 14.2 volts). I've switched the mechanical regulator to the solid state one (red pack in front portion of the bike in the pictuure following). It also uses the red generator light as an exciter circuit for the alternator, which is why it is crucial for this system that this works.

Who nicked my subframe & shocks?

Don't think the gearbox output flange is supposed to have that crack in it......

Heavy Flywheel clutch pack.
And this is what happens when you put a heavy flywheel on an Aitkens Diet..

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 05-29-2011 at 04:01 AM
Old 05-29-2011, 02:00 AM   #420
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Quote:
Yes Kokopelli, your alternator does use Diodes.
Well, if my $40 headlight bulb blows again, I'll be replacing the little suckers. Riding to work on a dark and foggy morning with only a candle up front is not my idea of fun. It's almost as bad as the stock headlight on the R80.

Good to see you're showing the RS some love.