Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2011, 04:15 PM   #571
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,074
That appears to be the 46mm version. They have a different compression base valve at the top of the forks. Padmei has a set of these.

Mine are the 48mm twin chamber forks, which can be identified by the recessed compression base valve. Just got the tool to allow me to break into this, to allow me to look at what is needed to shorten them.

It's just better when there's twins involved....

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 10-28-2011 at 01:56 AM
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:39 AM   #572
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Link across to my thread for the 48mm KYB fork conversion on Olds Cool

Old 10-31-2011, 12:13 PM   #573
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,453
wow a lot of detail there - good effort. What I want to know is how do you get into the gimp room under your garage floor?
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:40 AM   #574
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
wow a lot of detail there - good effort. What I want to know is how do you get into the gimp room under your garage floor?
It's all easy access here.

Blingtastic, we have a roller!

A simple bounce test says we seem firmer than stock, and are likely in the ball park without adding any adjustment yet

Old 11-04-2011, 10:46 PM   #575
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

PROGRESS UPDATE:
Still some work to do, but basically there.

Drilled & tapped the triples so I could bolt up the Vapor Speedo / indicator unit. The triples are cast units with webbing on the underside.

The front fender has also been drilled to match the YZ250F mount patterns. This just fits the BMW 'flats'.

Missing the speedo sensor, & the front brake light isn't working (might be a plug). I also need to dial in the suspension, but we are in the ballpark with sag settings. 55mm (24.4%) static sag, & 65mm with rider (28.8%). The seal savers are where they are until I've done some more work checking how much suspension we are using (cable ties as peak movement sensors).

The handlebars are too high now but still okay for riding, & are great for standing. The seat is currently too low for me, & I'll likely raise the seat height soon, to aide the transition from sitting & standing, & also decrease the bend in my knees in road work.

The fork protectors are off the YZ250F donor bike but are rough, & I'd like to replace with new / cleaner examples in the future. Two of the mounting holes on the right protector are stripped & will need to be helicoiled.

The brake caliper may or may not have a seep from the brake line. I'll wait & see if that is a seal that needs to swell, or is a leak from the copper seal on the banjo. It holds firm at the lever. The brake line is from the donor bike & is a little long - it'll do the job short term.

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 11-04-2011 at 11:27 PM
Old 11-04-2011, 10:48 PM   #576
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 923
Sweet, looking good.

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:58 PM   #577
Padmei
enamoured

If that bike wasn't half red I'd say it was awesome. Good work.

the big test is whether will you be able to feel the difference (not that that matters when it comes to modyifying bikes)

I'm not gonna say anything about giving you a hand with the seat...
Old 11-05-2011, 12:22 AM   #578
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 886
That looks fantastic.

I want one
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:30 AM   #579
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
If that bike wasn't half red I'd say it was awesome. Good work.
The big test is whether will you be able to feel the difference (not that that matters when it comes to modyifying bikes)
I'm not gonna say anything about giving you a hand with the seat...
Just back from a strop down the motorway, & back down a 'b' road. Then thru the suburbs, taking in some speed humps.

Feels firmer in the front than stock, which was quite soft. Doesn't have the initial compliance of the old front end, but that might be because the fork needs a few miles to bed in. Doesn't dive as much, & is simply awesome over the speed humps. You can either ignore them at speed, or do wheel stands off them. All setting still set to zero. Feeling fairly confident with this front. The forks used 175mm of the available 225mm travel during that ride.

I need to adjust the rear firmer to match.

The brakes need to bed in, but are an initial disappointment (a little wooden). Hopefully that improves. Remember I'm coming from a 4 pot conversion, using the stock rotor. The pads are a no-name brand, so I may be able to find something softer if these don't improve as they bed in.

Good first (very brief) ride..

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 11-05-2011 at 12:45 AM
Old 11-05-2011, 01:34 AM   #580
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,566
Very nice and very impressive detailing.

I've just installed lower pegs and 25mm handlebar risers, but haven't had a chance to try them out properly, apart from a short blast on the empty section next door. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the springs to fit the pegs, so I've installed them without the springs.

I love the front end on your bike. I wonder if a seat from an R80G/S would fit, your one look a bit long, not that it any of my business.
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:11 AM   #581
guzzitony
Guzton

Oddometer: 159
Looking good buddy! may even encourage me to get off my arse (or hurry and paint the house..) and do some more stuff on mine. the wheel magnets are sitting at the shop waiting for me as i've got one of those poofy (no offence to poofs intended) digical speedos to fit too............ been sitting in my shed for years so it's not like i'm copying eh?

SHEDSAM- objects given/collected and stored in a
shed/mancave. esp car/bike parts.
guzzitony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:34 AM   #582
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzitony View Post
Looking good buddy! may even encourage me to get off my arse (or hurry and paint the house..) and do some more stuff on mine. the wheel magnets are sitting at the shop waiting for me as i've got one of those poofy (no offence to poofs intended) digical speedos to fit too............ been sitting in my shed for years so it's not like i'm copying eh?
Meh.. the standard gauges are part of what I like about your bike.

Met the former owner of your tank when I needed some machining done. Top guy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
Very nice and very impressive detailing.

I've just installed lower pegs and 25mm handlebar risers, but haven't had a chance to try them out properly, apart from a short blast on the empty section next door. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the springs to fit the pegs, so I've installed them without the springs.

I love the front end on your bike. I wonder if a seat from an R80G/S would fit, your one look a bit long, not that it any of my business.
What sort of pegs did you get?

The G/S & Basic seats don't fit without subframe modification / swapping. But I do intend to reshape it.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:36 PM   #583
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRSNUT View Post
What sort of pegs did you get?
http://www.migsel.com/store/index.ph...d&productId=27

They are well made and look better in real life. I already like them and I am sure I'll be able to work out the springs eventually. By the way, the price includes shipping.
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:14 AM   #584
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
http://www.migsel.com/store/index.ph...d&productId=27. They are well made and look better in real life. I already like them and I am sure I'll be able to work out the springs eventually. By the way, the price includes shipping.
They look to run the stock spring?

PROGRESS UPDATE:
Spent part of the day tidying the instal & addressing known issues.

I wondered what the residue was on the front disc after the test ride.. On closer inspection, the disc was brushing the fork protector - I've now cut that back. Melting plastic on your disc is never helpful....

Used a hairdryer to take the remains of the 'Yamaha' sticker off the fork protectors.

Made up a bracket to hold the sensor for the Vapor speedo. This is a much better solution than what I had in the stock forks. We'll see if it performs as well as it should. I'd had issues with the speedo dropping out below 70kph with the past setup.

The brake line I thought I might be able to loop down the forks, ala routing used by some dirt bikes. Unfortunately the line was slightly too short for that, so it is a little exposed. We'll see how it goes. The other routing saw too much brake line looping up into the handlebar area. The brake line will eventually likely be replaced to meet NZ compliance laws.

The 'seep' that resulted in a drop of brake fluid under the caliper has not reoccurred.

The brake light issue was a wire broken in the (stock) connector. Easy to find, fiddly to fix.

Still to find a final steering stop solution, but I'm thinking of a bolt up extension to the existing frame mount.

The puffs of smoke EddieB had noticed at the last ride were concerning me. The bike wasn't really running right for the fork test ride either. The Unifilter is getting a bit dirty, but didn't appear enough to cause this issue (I need to get another 'No Toil' filter oil & cleaner pack). I pulled the spark plugs & right side was fairly sooty. On closer inspection, it turns out the right side choke cable from the under tank splitter was getting hung up, which meant the choke wasn't fully closing on that side. Should be all good now.

Padmei, can you flick up a couple of photos of your choke pulls? Did you just solder the nipples on some stiff wire?

Finally, ground a bit off the end of the sidestand, where it was rubbing against the pivot pegs. This was just enough to making an annoying squeaking sound. Not touching now, and the amount ground off is not enough to make any difference to the utility of the stand.

Ready for another ride now...

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 11-06-2011 at 09:57 PM Reason: textual correction
Old 11-06-2011, 10:53 AM   #585
Padmei
enamoured

Bingo with the choke - just got some standard nipples & soldered them - easy. Nice bracket.