Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2010, 05:26 PM   #46
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz
43 friggin litres So the 28L on the 640Adv that most people consider wildly excessive for NZ obviously wasn't nearly enough to satisfy your big tank fetish That will look damn cool.

Usually if customs are gunna charge ya GST they'll want the cash before they release the package.

Cheers, Clint
At the moment, only getting 35 mpg (US), so might need all of that.

I've had one of these tanks before...The tank sits in a pannier type arrangement, over the cylinders. Not likely to fill more than 30 litres, as a full tank is a little hard on the suspension. The result is more gas, but also the fuel sits lower than the original tank & central, so you don't notice the increase in weight. The tanks nylon, so better than the metal original in terms of 'crash resistance'. Also acts as a sort of fairing for the lower body. And looks way cooler.

If/when I paint it I'll leave a line running down the tank, so I've an inbuilt fuel gauge.

Its super cool to just be able to ignore the fuel stations for the day....

Need to get it mounted quickly - Mandy is eyeing it up for her emergency water supply (in case of earthquake).

Yes, GST is usually charged before you can take delivery. I seem to have missed this for all of the deliveries made this time around. No doubt they'll hit me on the next time I want to import stuff.

Steve

It's just better when there's twins involved....

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 09-09-2010 at 05:34 PM
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:30 PM   #47
XTC
Taz

Oddometer: 530
I'm real happy that you're recieving all these goodies for your BMW but where the hell is my susp linkage bolt????
XTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:12 PM   #48
mitch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,318
Question

Will they use all the fuel ? or do you get stuck with 10 Lt's sloshing around the bottom of the tank. Its a nice looking tank.
06 GSA . SE. will try to stay away from pickups.
Well it was a car this time #L/tib & fib in the same place as the previous F wit crushed it
Ducati making mechanics out of riders for 50 years
mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:16 PM   #49
mitch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,318
Cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTC
I'm real happy that you're recieving all these goodies for your BMW but where the hell is my susp linkage bolt????
You had better hope its not with my BMW order, they tell me that the boat arrives in Melbourne 20/10/10
06 GSA . SE. will try to stay away from pickups.
Well it was a car this time #L/tib & fib in the same place as the previous F wit crushed it
Ducati making mechanics out of riders for 50 years
mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:23 PM   #50
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTC
I'm real happy that you're receiving all these goodies for your BMW but where the hell is my susp linkage bolt????
KTM.....Backorder....The meaning is the same. Why the hell do you think I decided to sell the bike to you... .

Shit Dude, you don't mean to say your actually using (rather than just looking at) it??. As I said in that other forum, best to just park it. Would it get a WoF? Really don't think its safe in its current state.

KTM got into the financial crapper with the GFC, & I don't think they've kept their spares up. But real happy for you to start chasing Josh at AFC on my behalf - I don't think that'll change anything though. I've just sent another chaser e-mail now....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch
Will they use all the fuel ? or do you get stuck with 10 Lt's sloshing around the bottom of the tank. Its a nice looking tank.
Thanks Mitch. No they are really good if mounted properly. You can scavenge all the gas. I understand that may not have been the case on the R1100GS tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch
You had better hope its not with my BMW order, they tell me that the boat arrives in Melbourne 20/10/10
You need to abandon those new fandangled GSA's & go back to airheads. Huge aftermarket parts supplies, all over the world. No issues...

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 11-11-2011 at 04:13 PM
Old 09-10-2010, 06:19 PM   #51
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

KTM Parts

After impuning KTM Parts supply, just got off the phone with Josh at AFC, who tells me they had a delivery of backordered parts today, & that the linkage is in that shipment. I've asked him to send directly to you.... I've also sent you an e-mail.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:15 PM   #52
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRSNUT
After impuning KTM Parts supply, just got off the phone with Josh at AFC, who tells me they had a delivery of backordered parts today, & that the linkage is in that shipment. I've asked him to send directly to you.... I've also sent you an e-mail.
go on
fess up
you told me you've had the linkage since you sold the bike and you just wanted to fuck with whatever his name is

cheers

the krl wannabe-er
Old 09-10-2010, 11:47 PM   #53
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
Quote:
If/when I paint it I'll leave a line running down the tank, so I've an inbuilt fuel gauge.
That's exactly what I've said for the past 20 years. But in those 20 years I've never come around to painting the tank so I've always got an easy to see gas guage.

Thanks for the thread.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:50 PM   #54
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch
The way the tank sits you're able to use up nearly all the last bits of gas. I've gone 450 miles (a repeated trip from Abq to Denver) w/out filling up.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:31 PM   #55
XTC
Taz

Oddometer: 530
Quote:
I'm not sure who to send it to now...given your multiple personality disorder. Lets clarify - who am I speaking to now? XTC, Anthrax, Taz or Andy??? . Still think Anthrax worked better - but I guess this is an American site so....
Thanks for that Steve. I am patient really I am. Was just giving you some stick.

I have always been XTC on here. Used to be xtc on kb until I dared to reply to a thread from a guy wanting to know where to get a trike made up. Got infracted and told in no uncertain terms by Joni that spank wants nothing to do with trikes on his site what so ever. I called her a dick And that was the end of xtc on kb.

Oh by the way..... I'm coming down on thursday the 16th of this month (next week). Catching the ferry at 8pm. If I'm in wellington way too early (may not be likely as I'm riding an SR250) can I chill at yours for an hour or 2? You can show me your lovely BMW and I'll promise not to poke fun at it ok?
XTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:47 PM   #56
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,702
Quote:
Got delivery of two couriers packages today. One contained brake calipers from a Tardme auction.

Kewl.... Looks like some quality time in the Man Cave this weekend

Steve
Far Canal .I thought the PD tanks were big.Will you be able to keep the fairing.i think not
Old 09-11-2010, 11:09 PM   #57
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTC
Oh by the way..... I'm coming down on thursday the 16th of this month (next week). Catching the ferry at 8pm. If I'm in wellington way too early (may not be likely as I'm riding an SR250) can I chill at yours for an hour or 2? You can show me your lovely BMW and I'll promise not to poke fun at it ok?
Yep, be pleased to see you. I was just giving you shit back. I'm really not that sensitive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer?
Far Canal .I thought the PD tanks were big.Will you be able to keep the fairing. I think not
Care to take a small wager on it? I can if I want to modify things, ie add in about 7 cms into the roo bars, and chop the fairing.

I've put up a thread in Old School, looking for people that have done this before.

But may also look at dropping that & putting in an 8" race light ala Baja Designs. You can get an H4 conversion for that. One big advantage of that is that its easy to mount. And can come with mounts for an electronic speedo. My preference is for the Acewell 3100 series at present

Or I've got a spare R100 headlight shell lying round here. The issue with both is it opens a whole new can of works with indicators, speedos, tachos etc. Still debating that.

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 09-13-2010 at 12:57 AM
Old 09-12-2010, 12:01 AM   #58
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,428
Is that meant to be Baja designs? You mean a big round ring thing with a headlite inside it like a XR 250 Baja ?

Do you really want to keep the fairing? They do look a lot stauncher without them but the wind protection is a big bonus.
Shit it's gonna look goodmate well done.
Padmei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:12 AM   #59
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei
Do you really want to keep the fairing? They do look a lot stauncher without them but the wind protection is a big bonus.
Shit it's gonna look goodmate well done.
Not a lot of cost in modifying whats there. But I'm considering my options at present, because I don't want to start chopping things up if I later change my mind.

I might actually have to go an interim route first, using stuff I already have here, pending getting some more money together, ie cycle speedo, R100 Headlight, existing indicators with interim bracketry to fit. Really want the big tank on sooner rather than later..

Think something like this would be pretty achievable.

Going the other Baja Designs or rally light route would be spendy, but I may be able to flog off the existing fairing & instruments (which is why I was so surprised you'd attacked yours). And yes to a cool factor that would be off the scale, but at the expense of practical weather protection.

BTW the KTM proceeds are all gone now, so the spendometer will be dropping dramatically.

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 09-12-2010 at 01:22 AM
Old 09-12-2010, 03:27 AM   #60
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,639
won't the lack of wind/weather protection be a big negative?