Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #1066
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Oddometer: 1,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
Just wondering....did you take the carbs off to do the comp test....was the engine cold?
Yes, hot motor, carbs off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
so where is the ride report?
or are you still stuck on the side of a hill in the Mudkiro?
I'll do a ride report once the SPFD has put up his photos...or tonight, whichever comes first

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:50 AM   #1067
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
I'll do a ride report once the SPFD has put up his photos...or tonight, whichever comes first
getting very bored.....
Old 10-02-2012, 12:55 AM   #1068
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,337
I did a timing check tonite & even with the new chain the s wasn't still but bouncing around a bit. Snowbum reckons it doesn't matter & that the z mark is the one to line up solid & leave the s how it is.

What's your experiences with timing?
I too am going to try some jetting changes to try to lean it up a bit. I guess start somewhere easy by lowering the needle.
Padmei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:51 AM   #1069
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
I too am going to try some jetting changes to try to lean it up a bit. I guess start somewhere easy by lowering the needle.
STOP....lowering the needle is said to be equivalent to 2.5 sizes leaner in needle jet. Dropping the needle will be far too coarse an adjustment. You would be far better to get a selection of needle jets in. They are GBP4.00 ea from Motobins, but if you can wait a bit, I'll send some down (once Gus is running better) so you can play with them. Then you only need to buy the ones you settle on.

Teaser for 10 points.

What might have happened here?

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 01:45 AM
Old 10-02-2012, 10:56 AM   #1070
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,509
Quote:

What might have happened here?

I fixed that problem with a Nippon Denso. Once I've got the Tochico calipers installed, all starting and stopping is done the Japanese way.

Some people glue the magnets back in. I find nothing more frustrating than a bike that doesn't start properly, especially one that's not easy to bump start in the middle of nowhere. I am sure the feeling is shared by many :-).

I've been going all secondhand on the R1150GS, but the Basil is getting all the nice new and improved parts. By the way, do we know who bought his cousin on Trade Me recently?
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:05 PM   #1071
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,188
Damn. I suppose the good thing is that eventually we'll all have new bikes built from parts.

Keep in mind that you can grab a Valeo out of mid '90s Citroëns and Peugeots and make it fit if you need to get back on the road soon. They're pretty common up at Pick a Part in Taita.
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #1072
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
By the way, do we know who bought his cousin on Trade Me recently?
Ahh... thought you were talking about your G/S, but I just realised it was the Basic from not long ago. No idea!
Old 10-03-2012, 01:04 AM   #1073
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,590
I hope you don't class that as a ride report?

or should it more aptly be titled a tow report?
Old 10-04-2012, 01:36 AM   #1074
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Mad 30/09/12

Bart’s 10am start time at Makairo seemed reasonable, but given the switch across to daylight savings, it required a fair amount of commitment from me to get there. I'm not generally an early riser (Mandy can attest to my grouchiness early in the morning).

I’d spend Saturday afternoon tinkering with the carbs – but I'd probably made them worse in the end, so went back to a setting which was close but still not quite there. This meant it was still a little rich running into corners – with consequence that there was not too much engine braking available. On gravel that can be exciting from time to time.

Met with Ricky at Rimutex just before 8.30am (7.30am pre daylight saving), then shot up the main road to Pahiatua, where we topped up the fuel in an expectation of a 300km+ MAD ride.

The start of the Makairo track has been well modified by some idiot with a big chainsaw & digger. There was adequate warning with road closure signage (which we ignored). I assume that the Pratt responsible was looking to mill the Macrocarpa shelter belt. Hopefully the damage is remedied, and not just left as is.

Met Wade, Bart, & Marty at the beginning of the track. Marty had already been in for an explore, & his bike was pretty well covered in shit. He indicated he'd already got stuck in there. That didn’t bode well for Gus getting through.

Photos By Night Falcon

Ricky was poetry in motion going through that. He just gunned it & rode the KTM across the slop like the big dirt bike it is. I guess dirt riding experience pays.

Certainly made me feel (more) inadequate.

Given the low exhaust I wondered how I would get on. Sure enough, I was soon bellied out on the first few drainage channels (don’t know that they shifted any of the slop – I suspect they were laid as tank traps – they certainly worked as such). I guess I should have been more aggressive.

Marty kindly took video & photographic evidence, including of a spill fairly early into it. Marty, I picked it up quick because it was hemorrhaging gas over the handlebars…Wade kindly offered to act as a mud guard, to prevent Gus from doing too much muck spreading while we went in search of traction. You probably should have pushed from the side Wade.

I notice Bart took photos from after the initial destroyed section of the track.

Photos By Bart

I didn’t stop once I passed Bart – I knew I was going to be the slowest through there.

The balance of the track was pretty much as normal. More paddling than standing. Somewhere in there I blew out the arse of my leathers. I’ll need to fix that before the next ride, or the KLR riders will get excited.

Photo by Bart

I was blowing fairly hard by the summit, & had a few rests (not drops) on the way down. I remembered the portion of the track I bellied on at the RRRR (sits right in the middle of the track), so avoided that.

Don’t know I’ll do Makairo again until I’ve got a different exhaust on. I mean, look at what I was competing with..

Photos by Bart

The guys kindly organized a search party from the end of the track – not needed. I just needed to catch my breath.

From the Makairo Track we rode across Towai Rd, Manuhara Rd, & up into the little Manuhara. This track can be a bugger, because it starts fairly grippy, then throws some fairly slick clay bits in under a camoflage covering of pine needle. A heap of fun through. It's not as tight as Makairo, & better for Gus (I can stand). I understand that some bikes were dropped in there (not me).

Photos By Bart

Bart had planned on stopping at the Pongoroa shop for lunch (actually both he & I had packed lunches to keep partners happy). Unfortunately the shop doesn’t open on Sundays, so we relocated to the Pub. That was a good decision. But next time I’m buying lunch. The $10 burgers & chips Wade & Ricky had were massive, looked delicious, & had 2 steaks in them. Not drooling…much.

Photo By Bart

At lunch I decided I would split from the guys. I realized why the leathers felt…well… drafty. Gus had been reluctant to start when I went to shift him, and had made a funny noise when the starter engaged. And I was starting to cramp up from the workout in the Makairo (got to work on fitness).

Marty also split. I see in other threads he’d damaged his knee.

Bart, Wade & Ricky went off to explore roads towards Akitio.

I rode off to Alfredton (should have gone via Puketoi Rd – I’ve wanted to do that road again for a while), then decided to do the Castlehill Rd down to Castlepoint. It was blowing a fair bit there, & the tide was up, but I rode down into the lagoon & watched some surfers for a bit.

Then across to Langdale Rd, Homewood Rd (decided not to go to Riversdale), & through the forestry to Te Wharau Rd, popped out nr Gladstone & along Ponatahi Rd to Martinborough for some gas (was on first reserve).

On the road towards Featherston I made the mistake of switching off to take some photos of clouds...

And Gus just clicked at me when I went to start again. It was a fairly easy crash start in 2nd gear (wouldn’t have wanted to do that in gravel or in the Makairo), then across a very blustery Rimutaka. The new section of the road caught me again, & I visited the gravel on the other side of the road (the wind gets caught by the new cutting & really pushes you around). I wasn’t sure if it was a starter, battery, or alternator fault, so rode with the minimum of lights on, & the heated grips off. It was just getting dark when I arrived home. 570kms for the day. And Gus is still bloody thirsty.

Monday night I was too stuffed to do anything. Tuesday night I transplanted the Bosch starter motor out of the RS & into Gus. Wednesday I went to a work function. Tonight I waterblasted ½ of the Makairo off Gus.

The balance of parts I was waiting on arrived Wednesday. I’m taking Friday off, so we’ll crack into it & see what transpires. Postscript: Or not

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 10-05-2012 at 02:16 AM Reason: Tidy typos
Old 10-04-2012, 02:12 AM   #1075
bart-nz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
Good on ya Steve. I didn't realise you'd blowen the arse out of your pants....

You went bloody well in that Makairo. When the snotty bit went on and on, I was half expecting we'd have to turn back. I was also feeling pretty shagged for a couple of day afterwards. I might have to work on some fitness. When's the next ride?

bart-nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:01 PM   #1076
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Yikes. Well done. Bugger about the starter, but it didn't leave you stranded thankfully. So have you settled on 250mm travel in the front?
Old 10-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #1077
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by igormortis View Post
So have you settled on 250mm travel in the front?
Yup, the forks are working well, & it hasn't upset the bike's handling. Actually better in Gravel. Longer term I want longer travel / bigger ground clearance, but I'd need to change the back for that.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:27 AM   #1078
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,337
Nice RR.
Padmei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:54 AM   #1079
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yup, the forks are working well, & it hasn't upset the bike's handling. Actually better in Gravel. Longer term I want longer travel / bigger ground clearance, but I'd need to change the back for that.
Hmm where's that boxersupplies heroes legend pic..? Can't tell if it's just a slight shock relocation in the rear, or if there's a change in shock length also...
Old 10-06-2012, 12:34 AM   #1080
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Pulling down the top end

Started to pull down the top end on Gus.

This originally started because the RHS base has started to seep, then a compression test showed the RHS down a bit on the LHS. I decided to re-ring, & to use the higher compression pistons I had left from a prior rebuild for the RS (went to 1st oversize - iron bores).

First I soaked the RS piston in 100% concentrated ‘Simple Green’ overnight. I’d heard that this assisted with carbon removal. If it does, overnight is insufficient soaking. Very hot soapy water had a better impact. Supershaft also noted that chopsticks make a good carbon removal tool / scraper. He’s right. And an old penny worked for the more stubborn patches, but is more inclined to mark the piston if not used carefully.

Removed the exhaust, the carbs, & dropped off the RHS barrels & heads.

The Barrels are showing their 215k kms wear. There is a ridge near the head, at the bottom (pushrod side) front of the barrel, visible, & with the hone marks worn away. You can just feel it when you run a finger or thumb over it.

Pulled the valves. There is discernable slop between the valves & guides. Definitely need attention, but perhaps not this time. The seats look okay.

I'm trying to talk myself out of stealing the RS heads. They had new valves, guides & seats not long before it got parked. I would need to flare out the exhaust to do that (40mm spigots). But its twin plugged...

I’ve spent a reasonable amount of time de-carboning Gus's RHS head & the RS pistons this afternoon. I’ll put up photos in tomorrow’s installment

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 10-13-2012 at 11:57 PM