Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2012, 01:34 AM   #1111
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Oddometer: 1,970
The headers got holed (age), & the muffler didn't appreciate the effort I put in to do a repair job to that. My welding on thin wall stainless exhausts sucks. Should have farmed the job out.

Postscript 06/11. The SV exhausts turned up today. Only 2 wks late. No issues with the addressing. I wonder what would have happened if I hadn't chased via the tracking no? Nothing?

It's just better when there's twins involved....

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 11-05-2012 at 11:43 PM
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:35 PM   #1112
msmckeon
Just ahead of the sweeps

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
why do you want to ditch the std one steve.My collector box had a hole in it,and the whole system rattled.I though the rattling was the rust inside the collector box,hoever the rust was actaully in side the main muffler.I got a s/s y pipe from Damen and he cut the original muffler in half and redid the baffles in s/s too.The original baffles are steel.It was nt cheap but i like the std muffler cos its so tucked in
That is good to know. My R80GS muffler is rattling like this also. I guessed it was the inernals breaking loose due to corrosion and fatigue. I like the approach you took, re-use/re-cycle and keeps the money spent on "replacing" the muffler in the local community - well done that man.

Michael
msmckeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:59 PM   #1113
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,509
A lot of people say that the standard exhaust pipe has the best performance. I too like it. It looks different to all the others and is pragmatic.
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:23 AM   #1114
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmckeon View Post
That is good to know. My R80GS muffler is rattling like this also. I guessed it was the inernals breaking loose due to corrosion and fatigue. I like the approach you took, re-use/re-cycle and keeps the money spent on "replacing" the muffler in the local community - well done that man.

Michael
he also redid(he is Damen at Cycleworks) the muffler so its got just a wee bit more "tone" than the original
Old 11-09-2012, 09:22 PM   #1115
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

WoF, Cafe run, & a ride to Devils Gate.

No photos today.

The day was fairly fine, but spoiled by a blustery northerly. This weeks weather has been spotless, so for it to pack up in the weekend is truly annoying.

This afternoon Mandy & I took Gus down for a WoF at Adelaide Rd. The guy testing remembered Gus from the last check. No issues this time. We met an old friend Matt Smith there. We haven’t seen him for 5 or so years. He rocked up on a K1200RS, 139k kms. Good to catch up. Matt’s partner, Tina, grew up with Mandy, & she used to be Secretary with Bears at PNth. Tina has an R65, which she now owned 20 yrs or so now. We must get round to see their new house.

Once we had that out the way we headed out to coffee at the Oriental Parade Café at the old Tugboat (there had to be a payback for Mandy) .

Decided on a ‘Round The Bays’ excursion, ending at Red Rocks. Challenged Mandy to a ride round to Devils Gate. Probably the roughest that I’ve seen it. There'd obviously been a mountain bike race & we saw the last of them coming out. And also maybe a 4WD event - there was a heap driving out. Once we got to Devils Gate, there was only one seal hauled out – and that was our lot. But Mandy enjoyed the ride aside from one small portion that I made her walk - a detour around a portion of the track that had been undercut by the tide. That portion was just too loose for the weight of us both & the state of Gus’s tyres.

The weather packed up on the way home.

Still haven’t got the carburetion right…

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 11-09-2012 at 11:10 PM
Old 11-10-2012, 12:14 AM   #1116
bart-nz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
You're doing better than me. My thing's still sitting in the shed with large chunks of the Makairo hanging off it. Not much time for riding these days.

How dare you go out without a camera.

bart-nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:23 AM   #1117
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 6,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
This afternoon Mandy & I took Gus down for a WoF at Adelaide Rd.

If that`s Adelaide Road, Newtown, I lived at number 187 many years ago, opposite John Street. Just a bit of trivia that has absolutely nothing to do with this thread whatsoever.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #1118
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,337
Cool you got a bit of offroadish stuff & a coffee with the better half - nice. I spent the best of the day waterblasting the back deck ready for a bbq last nite - we had an amazing sunny perfect riding day. Now outside the window the northerly has crept in with lite bit of drizzle & I have to take the girls to Nippers...

Still it may get better this avo when I have Poppa time

These long warm sunny evenings have been awesome these last couple of weeks

Do you think the sv's will fit?
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:59 PM   #1119
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
Do you think the sv's will fit?
Anything will fit - with a bit of work

I need to stay off Trade me. Bought a set of new Elco valve guides. Still need (at least) some new exhaust values. Also...

Still need the output flange puller

I see Gus's tank & tacho have made Tme again...

Also, a link from the BAD Facebook group for your viewing pleasure

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 11-14-2012 at 11:13 PM
Old 11-14-2012, 11:28 PM   #1120
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
Good Score.... I think we used a bar that had an old flange on it with bolts thru to hold the flange whilst undoing the nut. Can't remember if fancy puller was used....there was heat used to remove the cover.
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:05 AM   #1121
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,337
Synchronicity.
I am going to hopefully borrow the flange remover today to open Schmidts box tomm. I won't be putting anything back together but at least I can get the internals checked out. I'm finding a couple of extra neutrals in berlinas box - were they sold as optional extras?

Edit- good call about the gasket depth being needed to be added.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:45 AM   #1122
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
Synchronicity.
I am going to hopefully borrow the flange remover today to open Schmidts box tomm. I won't be putting anything back together but at least I can get the internals checked out. I'm finding a couple of extra neutrals in berlinas box - were they sold as optional extras?

Edit- good call about the gasket depth being needed to be added.
I should get Max Headroom to do a write up on the gearboxes as he has done a few....I'm sure he does not use a gasket.
My R65 one is getting worse...catching in the gears..... new clutch time.....hope it can hang in there till xmas as I don't like driving to work.
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:14 AM   #1123
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Sam Manicom - Into Africa

Had a listen to an interview with Sam Manicom this am. Sam is an author that has written 4 travel books of his trips around the world on his BMW R100GS. He posts occassionally over on ADVrider as 'Travelling Sam'. He was very helpful to me when I was looking at rear brake modification. Seems a very nice guy. Enjoy.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:41 PM   #1124
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Success!!!

Finally got Gus running acceptably.
Only took six months.

Final change was to put a new gasket in the right choke. Jetting is currently 1 & 1/4 turns out on mixture, 2.66 needle jet, third clip down on jet needle, 150 main jet.

The R1 exhaust is back on Trade me. The can is too big to fit under the left pannier. I have also listed the SV1000 right can - and I'll build an exhaust system around the left one.

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 11-17-2012 at 08:56 PM
Old 11-22-2012, 12:45 AM   #1125
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Of Bullbars & BMW crashbars

A discussion over in the Schmidt thread re sidestands & crashbars prompted me to scan these. Circa 1991.

Was a result of a collision between a van doing a right turn into a lane (to beat the traffic).

The crashbar tore the rocker cover off, & damaged the head. The rocker cover looks like it's still on, but it was just put back there for the sake of completeness & to keep the shit out of the heads. I had to have the heads welded up to get a new one on. The van driver was unlicenced, bankrupt, & driving someone elses uninsured van. All this at less than 20mph. Managed to wreck both sides of the bike. The bullbars punched a hole in the fairing, the crashbars got hooked up in the bullbars & it dumped the bike over onto the right side & destroyed that too.