Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2013, 10:56 PM   #1291
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,421
When you say refitted, did you take it out & back to a 800 for a while or you got a new kit?
I really really am going to try to get over to welly wood next Spring to try out some of these hot airheads.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:36 PM   #1292
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
When you say refitted, did you take it out & back to a 800 for a while or you got a new kit?
I really really am going to try to get over to welly wood next Spring to try out some of these hot airheads.
I had the 1000 kit in it a few years back but the bike was drinking oil, so I started eliminating things to track down the problem. I took the 1000 off and went back to 800 to see if it was the 1000 kit but it turned out to be valve guides, even though they were newly fitted to BMW clearances. I got talking to Paul Rooney who put me onto k liners with minimal clearance. Bye bye oil consumption, but I hadn't got around to refitting the 1000 kit. In the meantime on of the gudgeon pins went rusty. For a while I couldn't find a replacement but Siebenrock have them now, and new rings. I have decided it's going to be a R100 GT ( Gravel Traveller )
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:57 PM   #1293
Padmei
enamoured

You don't have any wetndry at your place?

Kinda thinking I would prob do the K liners if I had to do the guides again.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:15 AM   #1294
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
Did you get out for a ride in the weekend ? Hows the back holding up ?
Thanks for the feedback on the K-liners. I'll have a chat with Headmaster regarding this.

Gave the back a decent work out doing some work around home - things have been getting untidy here. So far, so good, provided I pre-dose with Ibuprofen before, & then after.

Haven't ridden this weekend, though I should have on Saturday, 'cause the afternoon was fine. Took Mandy for a walk at Titahi Bay instead, which was very pleasant.

I've spent a bit of time tidying Gus, including painting the rocker covers. Mandy didn't appreciate me baking them in the new oven. I slipped them while she was out at some women's thing. She's has now given me permission to get a benchtop oven for the garage...

Also spent a bit of time getting Gus ready for a WoF (fixed scorched wiring dating from the accident, relocated the indicator resistors, figured out how to get indicator warning lights up, & got the neutral light working again).

Really like the new exhaust, but can't remove the rear wheel without dropping the exhaust, so the bike's due to go back to Damon for some rework.

I've 3 BMWs & 2 Gileras in the garage at present. Babysitting Igor's R80RS. They've packed up the house & gone to Cambridge temporarily, pending flying to Korea. The Battle Panda went a week or so ago.Igor still owes us a write up on the upgrades.

BTW, did you see Michael's article on Pipeburn?

It's just better when there's twins involved....

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 05-19-2013 at 03:07 AM
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:41 AM   #1295
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post

BTW, did you see Michael's article on Pipeburn?
Yea. He showed me the article, and the bike. Cool.! Nicely finished and detailed. A neat Sunday morning bike, go out for a blat around
Old 05-19-2013, 04:12 AM   #1296
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

CC Products performance upgrade article

A while ago I mentioned this article but wasn't able to locate my copy. Here it is on the UKGSer. Deals with engine upgrades resulting in better mileage / performance.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:15 PM   #1297
Padmei
enamoured

That is a bloody good article. Cheers.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #1298
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Resistors

Maintenance:
Yesterday I spent getting a bunch of little details sorted on Gus. I have shifted the resistors out of the headlight bucket, and repositioned at the tail of the bike. I used the $2 ceramic 10W 8.2ohm on the right side, but needed to go to 10W 6.7ohm on the left side for some reason. I’ve epoxied these into a steel tube (effectively acts as a big heat sink), & then cable tied this to the frame of the bike below the seat lock. They are coupled up to the left & right rear indicators respectively. If you lose a bulb then the indicators hyperflash like stock.

I have also set up some indicator warning LEDs, tied to the front indicators. These sit on brackets off the forks.

Unfortunately I missed getting to the WoF testing station – a fuse popped & by the time I’d replaced it…The old one expired 10/05/2013.

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 05-25-2013 at 10:38 PM
Old 05-25-2013, 10:39 PM   #1299
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Ocean Beach

Ocean Beach 26th May 2013:
Chris Adams had posted regards an Ocean Beach ride via Facebook. It was the first ‘biggish’ ride since for me since breaking ribs & puncturing a lung 25th Nov. It went well, except for Gus being pushed over onto me when we got back to Featherston, & the wind gusts going over the Rimutakas on the way back. I visited the other side of the road again (its getting to be a habit). One day that isn’t going to work out as well…

Every good ride should start at a Cafe. In this case Everest Cafe in Featherston. It used to be Cornocopia. Still nice.

At the end of the track (locked gates).

But we popped our head around the corner just to see what was there.. I guess we aren't supposed to go thru' here then..

Just down from our lunch break...

The view across to Lake Ferry, & the bar was particularly clear today.

I've also linked in Chris Adams You Tube video of the event

Oh, and here's a gratuitous shot from a walk I did with Mandy at Red Rocks the other day, just because I like it...

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 06-02-2013 at 02:10 AM
Old 05-25-2013, 10:41 PM   #1300
Padmei
enamoured

nice.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:07 AM   #1301
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
Ocean Beach:
Chris Adams had posted regards an Ocean Beach ride via Facebook. It was the first ‘biggish’ ride since for me since breaking ribs & puncturing a lung 25th Nov. It went well, except for Gus being pushed over onto me when we got back to Featherston, & the wind gusts going over the Rimutakas on the way back. I visited the other side of the road again (its getting to be a habit). One day that isn’t going to work out as well…

Every good ride should start at a Cafe. In this case Everest Cafe in Featherston. It used to be Cornocopia. Still nice.

At the end of the track (locked gates).

But we popped our head around the corner just to see what was there.. I guess we aren't supposed to go thru' here then..

Just down from our lunch break...

The view across to Lake Ferry, & the bar was particularly clear today.

Oh, and here's a gratuitous shot from a walk I did with Mandy at Red Rocks the other day, just because I like it...

hmmm, need to get down that way some more. Very nice.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:00 AM   #1302
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,639
great to see you getting out for a blast

been a long time coming

lets us know when you want to go for a ride - I'm keen to clock up some miles on the klr and Tony is keen to go for a ride on his new to him TDM900
Old 05-26-2013, 02:17 AM   #1303
guzzitony
Guzton

Oddometer: 158
and Tony wants to try out the new 38mm flatslides, as i wait by the phone.........

a little boy as in..........

SHEDSAM- objects given/collected and stored in a
shed/mancave. esp car/bike parts.
guzzitony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:42 AM   #1304
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
hmmm, need to get down that way some more. Very nice.
I've also linked up Chris Adams You Tube video of the ride. Worth a look. I like the sound track (Fat Freddys Drop?) - it suits the mood of the ride.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
great to see you getting out for a blast. Been a long time coming. Lets us know when you want to go for a ride - I'm keen to clock up some miles on the KLR and Tony is keen to go for a ride on his new to him TDM900
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzitony View Post
and Tony wants to try out the new 38mm flatslides, as i wait by the phone........a little boy as in..........
Give me a yell when you are ready to go... Hopefully I'll be legal by the end of the week.
Postscript. WoF at 217,139 Kms. the last Wof was at circa 216,600kms. How sad is that. Now all registered & legal.

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 05-31-2013 at 09:37 PM
Old 06-08-2013, 03:17 AM   #1305
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Ocean Beach & Onoke Spit

I was keen on a ride this weekend – Saturday looked most likely given some uncertainty about the weather on Sunday. I posted on Facebook, Kiwibiker, & ADVrider but had limited uptake in the few days before. Every bugger had an excuse. It might be because I indicated my tyres were… well, tired, & so I might need assistance getting the job done.

Saturday morning dawned fine, & I decided I was going regardless. Potentially that would give more time to take photos & take in the views. I did have concerns regarding getting into a situation that would require assistance. However before I got too far into ride prep, I noted a new post from Wayne indicating he was keen. Score.

The ride up to Rimutex got colder the closer to Upper Hutt I got, but at least there wasn’t much wind. A bit of cloud rolled in though.

Met Wayne at Rimutex just after 10.30am (Gentlemens hours), & after a chinwag, took a quick ride across the Rimutakas. I left Wayne behind, not due to superior speed, but because I got him stuck behind some slower cars on double yellow lines, while I streaked ahead.

Coffee at Everest Café in Featherston. Missed the couch this time.

The ride out to Ocean Beach was uneventful. Aired down the front at the Beach & then got to it. It was obvious that the coast had had a beating with the last weather system – the track was looser than 2 weeks ago, & there hadn’t been much traffic through.

A few of the streams were quite cut up, but only a couple still were flowing fast, & none of them were particularly deep.

The hill descent prior to the sand gate was about as loose as I have ever seen it.

The final stream crossing was quite cut up, & the exit from the stream was loose. I managed to beach Gus there, & had to be assisted out. We rolled Gus back & I zigzagged my way out of that one.

Lunch at the end of the track. I’ve just looked on Google Maps, & its only 9kms from the entrance to Ocean Beach. Feels more though.

Had a look up at the walking track entrance, and then did a bit of bush bashing back to the track. Gus is still wearing a few sprig of whatever that scrub was in the hardhead guards.

The rest of the ride back to Ocean Beach was quicker than the ride in (as always).

We’d scoped access to the beach leading to Onoke Spit from the Ocean Beach before we rode in, i.e., the plan was to cross the creek & ride the beach rather than enter via the 4wd track off the road. However given the day was wearing on, we decided to get to the Spit via the 4WD track & then consider things from the end of the Spit.

The entrance was through a small stream. It turned put to be much deeper than I anticipated. I was thinking drowned bike for a bit there.

The 4WD track was a major challenge on Gus & given the state of his tyres. The issue was that the front wheel wanted to follow any prior tracks, sled, and then wash out. By the time we reached the shipwreck (which Wayne noted the signage over sold – it looked like bits of reinforcing steel pocking through the sand) I was rooted. The challenge to reach the end of the spit was looking a bridge too far.

We’d seen a 4WD driving on the beach side, which looked easier. Once Wayne had helped Gus get started, I snicked up into 3rd gear, & surfed the sand. 1st was too low & it just spun. I was starting in 2nd . It would have been interesting to have a rear wheel speedo still to see what notional speed we ended up doing. Eventually made it back to Ocean Beach along the beach – crossing the creek on the surf line.

Given Wayne’s promise to be home by dark, we legged it back to Featherston, aired up the tyres, & then crossed the Rimutakas again. This time it was Wayne’s turn to leave me behind the slower traffic.

Thanks for your company on this trip Wayne – I enjoyed myself.

I thing it is worthwhile mentioning here that there was no road side maintenance or tweaking on this trip. Gus was running sweetly, with just a little popping from the new exhaust needing some attention. The new pistons & exhaust seem to have combined to give improved top end urge. Happy.

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 06-09-2013 at 01:18 AM