ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 01:14 AM   #1351
Padmei
enamoured
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Nelson New Zealand
Oddometer: 3,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by igormortis View Post

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 4
IM love ya to bits but I don't give a shit that you have a GT-1900T fricvking thing -
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:18 AM   #1352
Micawberism
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Land of the Hardcore
Oddometer: 247
It isnt what you ride or how well you ride it,
Its not about how much or how little it cost,
Its about how you feel

If all else fails get an engineer to do it for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs
Micawberism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:23 AM   #1353
Padmei
enamoured
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Nelson New Zealand
Oddometer: 3,428
Brilliant vid - must see!
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:24 AM   #1354
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair
 
Box'a'bits's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
Yes quite right IM. I have been spending far too much time over at the airheads forum. It hit home when someone commented only airheads would have a 6 page thread about exhaust spanners - it was the last post of a thread i'd read all of
There are some real clever & talented people over there - a few trolls - some real bunnies who like to get into pissing contests - and some idiots. I wait to see which they are before I put too much weight on their posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
So anyway back to Gus. Anything next on the horizon for him?
Riding. Need some tyres. At some stage I'll need to do the valves. And also there's the other gearbox to fix. Just bought a garage door.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
Is your back better?
I've accepted that it's a permanent injury that I'll have to manage. Not that that will stop me riding..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micawberism View Post
It isnt what you ride or how well you ride it,
Its not about how much or how little it cost. It's about how you feel . If all else fails get an engineer to do it for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs
Epic!!!!

__________________
My '91 R100GS thread is here
My Ride photos are here

It's just better when there's twins involved....

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 08-21-2013 at 12:59 AM
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:24 AM   #1355
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer
 
igormortis's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Moving further away from Wellington, New Zealand
Oddometer: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
IM love ya to bits but I don't give a shit that you have a GT-1900T fricvking thing -
Geez, don't I just know it. Can't figure out how to go back and get rid of it every time I post. Can I chalk it up to 2nd-3rd world problems?

Sent from freaking Tajikistan, gimme a break
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:37 AM   #1356
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer
 
advNZer?'s Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Wellington,New Zealand
Oddometer: 2,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
dictionary definition of dirtbike

"A lightweight motorcycle designed for use on rough surfaces, such as dirt roads or trails. Also called trail bike"

the second word EXLUDES all airheads/oilheads for all eternity

you argumentative inbreds simply have dirty adventure bikes
said definition probaly excludes klr and dr 650s too.
__________________
aka BMWST?
advNZer? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:41 AM   #1357
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer
 
advNZer?'s Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Wellington,New Zealand
Oddometer: 2,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by igormortis View Post
Geez, don't I just know it. Can't figure out how to go back and get rid of it every time I post. Can I chalk it up to 2nd-3rd world problems?

Sent from freaking Tajikistan, gimme a break
you dont have to have that signature line on at all

not sent from a tag
__________________
aka BMWST?
advNZer? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:45 PM   #1358
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot
 
Mark_S's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Kapiti NZ
Oddometer: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
said definition probaly excludes klr and dr 650s too.
Absolutely

it seems a dirt bike or trail bike appears to be generally accepted as being under 600cc and under 130kg or thereabouts.

Sticking big meaty forks/shock and welding some frame braces on an airhead (or klr or dr650 or...) doesnt turn it into a dirt bike. It turn is into an adventure bike thats better off road and worse on road.

If people want to make airheads better at offroad stuff - well good on them - I hope they all have a massive amount of fun with their toys - but calling the end result a dirtbike is just as silly as putting knobbies and a numberboard on a fatboy and calling it a harley motocrosser

Personally I think the ultimate airheads are like Phill and Dawn's - lots of largely hidden but nicely engineered modifications that improve the bike off road AND on road.

It was interesting to see in the 4 videos that Steve posted that the RS seemed nearly as capable as the highly modified airhead. I know which one I'd rather ride to and from the interesting bits of an adventure ride.
__________________
These are the best days
Mark_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:06 PM   #1359
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!
 
Kokopelli's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Rapaura
Oddometer: 4,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
It was interesting to see in the 4 videos that Steve posted that the RS seemed nearly as capable as the highly modified airhead. I know which one I'd rather ride to and from the interesting bits of an adventure ride.
Does this mean that a lightly modified GS is almost as capable off-road as an RS?

I don't think anyone who rides an R GS is under any illusions of what it can do. It will turn a good rider into an average rider and a novice to tears on a trail

It's a turd, but Myth Busters has proven that you can indeed polish a turd, with enough patience

__________________
R1150GS
R80GS Basic
__________________
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:21 AM   #1360
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair
 
Box'a'bits's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
It was interesting to see in the 4 videos that Steve posted that the RS seemed nearly as capable as the highly modified airhead. I know which one I'd rather ride to and from the interesting bits of an adventure ride.
As an owner of an RS, umm, well, I would venture to suggest that the guy riding the RS is: 1. a seriously capable rider; 2. nuts. The bike has very narrow handlebars, which are barely acceptable on road, but offroad would be a nightmare. Reconfigure the bike with a more upright stance, wider bars, no fairing etc - no issues. Crisis Management is doing just that with his standard R80.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
Does this mean that a lightly modified GS is almost as capable off-road as an RS?

I don't think anyone who rides an R GS is under any illusions of what it can do. It will turn a good rider into an average rider and a novice to tears on a trail

It's a turd, but Myth Busters has proven that you can indeed polish a turd, with enough patience
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
It's an impressive bike. A lot of love has gone into that bike. The R80Gs is such a loveable turd that people keep trying to polish it.
Just...ewww. You seem to have a facination.
__________________
My '91 R100GS thread is here
My Ride photos are here

It's just better when there's twins involved....

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 08-21-2013 at 12:36 AM
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:40 AM   #1361
msmckeon
Just ahead of the sweeps
 
msmckeon's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Wellington, Middle Earth
Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
The bike has very narrow handlebars, which are barely acceptable on road, but offroad would be a nightmare.
"Everybody" eventually has their RS front end slip sideways out of their control at low speed on a slippery surface.
msmckeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:45 AM   #1362
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair
 
Box'a'bits's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmckeon View Post
"Everybody" eventually has their RS front end slip sideways out of their control at low speed on a slippery surface.
Nope, never happened, un un, not to me, never.....
__________________
My '91 R100GS thread is here
My Ride photos are here

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:47 AM   #1363
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer
 
advNZer?'s Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Wellington,New Zealand
Oddometer: 2,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
Absolutely

it seems a dirt bike or trail bike appears to be generally accepted as being under 600cc and under 130kg or thereabouts.

Sticking big meaty forks/shock and welding some frame braces on an airhead (or klr or dr650 or...) doesnt turn it into a dirt bike. It turn is into an adventure bike thats better off road and worse on road.

If people want to make airheads better at offroad stuff - well good on them - I hope they all have a massive amount of fun with their toys - but calling the end result a dirtbike is just as silly as putting knobbies and a numberboard on a fatboy and calling it a harley motocrosser

Personally I think the ultimate airheads are like Phill and Dawn's - lots of largely hidden but nicely engineered modifications that improve the bike off road AND on road.

It was interesting to see in the 4 videos that Steve posted that the RS seemed nearly as capable as the highly modified airhead. I know which one I'd rather ride to and from the interesting bits of an adventure ride.
i guess there is a blurred line between "adventure" bikes and trail bikes and dirt bikes.I am under no illusions about my R100gs,its a road bike in disguise.BUT the small modifications made make a VERY practical bike.And i think that is true of a lot of ADVENTURE BIKES.
__________________
aka BMWST?
advNZer? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:48 AM   #1364
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!
 
Kokopelli's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Rapaura
Oddometer: 4,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
As an owner of an RS, umm, well, I would venture to suggest that the guy riding the RS is: 1. a seriously capable rider; 2. nuts. The bike has very narrow handlebars, which are barely acceptable on road, but offroad would be a nightmare. Reconfigure the bike with a more upright stance, wider bars, no fairing etc - no issues. Crisis Management is doing just that with his standard R80.


Just...ewww. You seem to have a facination.
Could be, I've been having a crook gut for weeks now, so it's been on my mind. :-)
__________________
R1150GS
R80GS Basic
__________________
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:12 AM   #1365
msmckeon
Just ahead of the sweeps
 
msmckeon's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Wellington, Middle Earth
Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
Nope, never happened, un un, not to me, never.....
Wooden bridge in my parents drive after a decade of RS ownership. Winter, wet, green growths, father said "watch out, it's slippery", stretched the throttle cables very slightly and bang! the back end came around. 270 degree pirouette and not a scratch on the bike or panniers. Engine even kept idling. Love those things sticking out the sides!

Michael
msmckeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014