User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 01:25 AM   #1366
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Oddometer: 1,994
Penny & Igor's travels

BTW, if you aren't following Penny & Igor's blog, you should be. In Tajikistan at present, just about to go into Uzbekistan.

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:13 AM   #1367
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Working to get the R100RS running

A number of years ago I parked my ’78 R100RS because it was leaking oil from the bell housing. At the time I suspected the oil pump or main seal. At a later date I pulled the gearbox & discovered that the output flange on the rear cover was cracked, with this damage likely dating from the London accident. I took the opportunity to get the gearbox rebuilt, but before I could put it back into the RS, Gus’s gearbox had issues, so it went there.

Over the past three years the RS has been cannibalized for parts for Gus (gearbox & clutch pack, oil cooler lines, carb to head inlet rubber boots, alternator & starter motor). And this how the RS has sat for a few years as a result.

A while ago I replaced the alternator with a stock unit, but that is where things came to a halt.

I have finally decided to get things back together. While I could have started a new thread for that, I have decided just to run with this one. Hopefully it won’t take too much to get the bike running.

Today I reinstalled the starter motor, replaced the oil cooler lines & reinstalled that, replaced the main seal, & replaced the oil pump o'ring. The main seal was assisted with a new tool I got from Cycleworks in the US. This was used to remove the main seal, then push the new one back on to the required depth.

The starter is a Bosch, & weighs a tonne.

The oil cooler lines needed to be remade after the Hydraulics place cut the old ones up as a result of a miscommunication regarding new lines I wanted made up for Gus

I also noted that the oil pump cover bolts had likely been replaced at some time.

The main seal puller works by tapping some screws into the seal. The centre bolt then pulls the old seal out. I see that this is a more modern seal, so this has also been done once before, possibly before I got the bike in 1990.

The tool then allows reinstallation using the flywheel bolts to push the seal into the block. The depth of installation is regulated by five grub screws around the flywheel bolts.

Next on the agenda is pulling the barrels to check the bores, cleaning carbs etc. The gearbox is still on Gus, so I need to get Gus's gearbox back up & running.

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 08-24-2013 at 01:25 PM
Old 08-24-2013, 02:29 AM   #1368
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,360
Re the main seal depth - what is all that about? Berlinas' one was flush with the casing at the bottom - buggered if i could get it measured correctly above the flat surface.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:42 AM   #1369
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
Re the main seal depth - what is all that about? Berlinas' one was flush with the casing at the bottom - buggered if i could get it measured correctly above the flat surface.
I looked at where the wear line was on the flywheel guide, & measured from that. The seal is only part way in on the last photo.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:55 AM   #1370
michael1968
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
That looks a lot like the starter on a VW beetle...

Nice thread by the way!
michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:41 PM   #1371
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Cold Kiwi Weekend

I’ve got this Friday / Monday / Tuesday off work (not that that stops people calling me about work anyway). It was supposed to be the Cold Kiwi, but unfortunately that was cancelled. So I guess I’ll have to occupy myself elsewhere…

Gearbox overhaul:
Started work on Gus’s gearbox today. Technically it just requires the drain plug to have a bigsert or similar introduced (already had a helicoil which has failed. I was reluctant to do that without opening the box, as I didn’t need swarf in the gears (spendy)…

Also I haven’t had the box inspected, so I wanted to check on condition, & to see that the circlip mod had been done, to prevent any longer term failures.

A while ago I bought a couple of new tools from Cycleworks (US), which made taking off the output shaft nut & flange relatively painless. I think that the flange holder could have done with the internal opening being somewhat larger, as it fouled on the internal thread.

Like Padmei, I have had issues removing the intermediate & output shafts.

I’ll get new bearings here in NZ, & I have yet to order the gearbox gaskets & seals to Motobins.

Left rear indicator:
Found that this wasn’t working, but if you wiggled wires it would start flashing briefly. It turned out that there was a break in the wiring, and another wire also had a break in the insulation. I’ve made a crimp & solder repair, & rewrapped the wiring to slow that down.

Prior to finding these I had checked out the cost of Deutz connectors (waterproof, & higher quality than what I have used elsewhere). Shit they are expensive…

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 09-02-2013 at 02:37 AM
Old 08-30-2013, 06:04 PM   #1372
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Airhead Dirtbikes

Just for MarkS, Herbert Schek during a 70's enduro. A 'real' airhead dirtbike. The concept of the R80G/S was eventually derived from these bikes. Schek later went on to build & ride some of the first of the Dakar rally bikes

Old 08-31-2013, 02:40 AM   #1373
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
Interesting, you might want to drop maxheadroom a line as he sourced all the bearings and seals locally and did some mods to make it smoother.
( he used to work at SKF, former engine reconditioner).
He does not use a gasket on the end cover, prefers 3bond or summit, he's a bit of Subaru fan too.
Keep up the good work.
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:32 AM   #1374
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
Interesting, you might want to drop maxheadroom a line as he sourced all the bearings and seals locally and did some mods to make it smoother.
Seen his comments from an earlier post (page 4, post # 53)

Old 08-31-2013, 02:37 PM   #1375
Padmei
enamoured

If you are replacing your neutral switch give it a try before you put it in. My one seems to stick a bit & there is a lapse before the lite comes on.
My box is wonderfully smooth to use now. Yo gonna do it your self? The mech putting mine back together wasn't impressed with how tight the output shaft bearing fitted.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:37 PM   #1376
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
Quote:
Seen his comments from an earlier post (page 4, post # 53)
I'm thinking you have done much research.

I was going to put an oil cooler on the R90 but Max said they don't really need one, he even scanned it with his infra red temp guage and it was way cooler than Trustme's Triumph.

Voltaire screwed with this post 08-31-2013 at 10:42 PM
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:50 PM   #1377
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:
Just for MarkS, Herbert Schek during a 70's enduro. A 'real' airhead dirtbike. The concept of the R80G/S was eventually derived from these bikes. Schek later went on to build & ride some of the first of the Dakar rally bikes
Interesting read - very interesting guy

relative to the times it was a dirtbike - from the article : "Schek found enduros the perfect form of competition for his limited budget, requiring only knobby tires and a high pipe to convert his road bike to a suitable off-roader."

I suppose all you airhead guys are stuck in some sort of time warp (its just a step to the left...) so maybe from your warped perspectives airheads are dirtbikes....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
it was way cooler than Trustme's Triumph.
I think they are both pretty cool in their own way....

Thanks Steve for the ride today - I needed to get out and clear my head.

I think Chris makes a pretty good replacement for Bart - He rides a dr, he's the same dimensions, and he rides quick. He'll never be a complete replacement for Bart though - he's too much of a nice guy.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:04 AM   #1378
Padmei
enamoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
Interesting read - very interesting guy

relative to the times it was a dirtbike - from the article : "Schek found enduros the perfect form of competition for his limited budget, requiring only knobby tires and a high pipe to convert his road bike to a suitable off-roader."

I suppose all you airhead guys are stuck in some sort of time warp (its just a step to the left...) so maybe from your warped perspectives airheads are dirtbikes....

I think they are both pretty cool in their own way....
Check out Stagehands vid. I think he must have bloody good skills to pilot a pig like that thru the course at speed.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:13 AM   #1379
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
Check out Stagehands vid. I think he must have bloody good skills to pilot a pig like that thru the course at speed.
yep serious skills - imagine how much quicker he would be on a dirtbike
Old 09-01-2013, 02:26 AM   #1380
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

White Rocks & Tora

White Rock & Tora
I’ve been meaning to do this ride for a while now. I haven’t been to White Rock since the early-mid nineties ‘Not The Lemming Run’ rally, when we rode from Palmerston North via Wairarapa back roads, culminating in a run through White Rock to just before Cape Palliser. We used to camp overnight up in the scrub. The first year I did the run I went in via Cape Palliser on my R80ST. The photo (below) shows Mandy on the back of the XR350RE (from the next year), going across the sand scree (back when she was brave). I also did this run on my XR600 in a subsequent year.

Today, I rode from Rimutex to Martinborough with Chris Adams. We stopped at the Village Café, & parked with a Ferrari, MV Augusta, Husqvarna Nuda, big egos, & apparently big wallets, while we waited for Mark to arrive from Paraparaumu. Anyway, all the exotic vehicles left when Mark arrived.…Funny, as they left, the old Honda VF400 with them sounded the sweetest of them all.

Martinborough was in a jazzy mood today – I’m guessing Father’s day brought a lot of people over for brunch. But it meant we needed to sit outside, & the coffee took an age to arrive.

The road out to White Rocks was superb, seal to the split between the roads to Tora & White Rocks, very nice grippy gravel thereafter. I love open gravel roads where you can see through the bends, use a lot more road, & days when confidence is high & the front wheel just seems to glue itself to the road base. I have to say that today Gus ran better than he has ever done before.

Someone had some issues with signage. There was a picture of a cattle beast, with the wording underneath –‘Horses, reduce speed’. Um..

There was a seal at White Rocks – he scarpered when the American’s walked down towards his portion of the beach.

Tried to catch Mark at some of the water crossings on the road. I was aiming to do the little water crossings at speed - but missed. Too slow...

The track through White Rocks to Cape Palliser is now only open by arrangement with the landowners.

On the way back we investigated a number of side roads. One gave access to the Aorangi Forest Park – but wasn’t open to vehicle access.

Chris by now was doing power slides through the corners – impressive for someone that hasn’t been riding that long.

The road out to Tora wasn’t as long, but the beach was as interesting.

There was a shipwreck part way along the beach – the bow of the ship was still quite identifiable, as was what I assumed was formerly a boiler. Later research tells me that this is the remains of the Opua, a steamer that wrecked in 1926 after losing its way in fog.

On the road back, I was careful to check the 2km stretch where signage indicated we should be careful of boobies.

I was very disappointed not to see any, but maybe it’s a South Wairarapa thing, & they really meant sheep. If so, that’s not really how I roll…

Raced back to Martinborough, but missed the last of the café’s, so legged it back across the Rimutakas to home.

Thanks for the great day guys.

Ride stats: Ride time 5.02hrs, total time 7.32hrs, 323.6kms, so average speed 64.45km/hr. Sitting on 218,844kms.

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 09-01-2013 at 07:01 PM Reason: Reorganise the text