Dino3310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:47 AM   #1442
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
I can't believe you posted that Steve.
That is one of most irresponsible displays of blatant disregard for personal safety & of the environment that we all share & should be committed to protect. Did you realse that feshwater fish swim all the way upstream to spawn in those creeks?
The minimal protective gear they wore would not have helped had they had an accident - especially if they hit a 4wd/cattle truck/ tractor on those back roads had on while travelling at high speeds on those back roads.
It's cowboys like that riding machines not designed for off road purposes that are driving my ACC levies higher every year.
The tyres did not look warrantable nor with much tread judging by the way one of those hooligans liked "hanging it out" round corners - on a public road!
The noise from one of those exhaust pipes was offensive & easily above the db level for road worthiness.

I shall be back with a moderator soon. Please don't leave or delete the post.
No dead animals were harmed in the making of this video
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:49 AM   #1443
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
No dead animals were harmed in the making of this video
Damn did Nutso tell you about the kamikaze cat?

I like that pipe - it sounds very grunty
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:13 AM   #1444
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Damn did Nutso tell you about the kamikaze cat?

I like that pipe - it sounds very grunty
Nooooo.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:13 AM   #1445
Oaters
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Damn did Nutso tell you about the kamikaze cat?y
Padders - for days afterwards I was still able to picture that unfortunate moggy - may come back as a Katoom rider perhaps - just kidding of course
Oaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:15 AM   #1446
Padmei
enamoured

Yep. East cape - started running head down at the back tyre. Couldn't do nothing. haven't mentioned it to the wife or kids - they'd never forgive me.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:31 AM   #1447
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,154
I think we cut a swathe through the domestic & wildlife stocks for the CtC. I was going to hit a Paradise Duck, which followed its mate out from the right side of the road just before Opotiki. Fortunately a 4WD coming from the other direction got it for me instead...Too big a bird to use for spatter graphics.

I narrowly avoided a dog before Gisborne. Don't know how I missed it. I was hard on the brakes, on the other side of the road...

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:47 AM   #1448
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

I think the yanks call it collateral damage.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:52 PM   #1449
Padmei
enamoured

When you found that stone in your final drive - where was it? I should actually go out & spin the tyres around on Schmiddty this weekend.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:04 AM   #1450
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Quote:
When you found that stone in your final drive - where was it? I should actually go out & spin the tyres around on Schmiddty this weekend.
Caught between the final drive, & the wheel, down by the boot. It spat it out when I turned the wheel backwards. The first time it did it it tore the boot. The second there was no damage, but there were more smaller stones.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:24 AM   #1451
Padmei
enamoured

Sorry - I can't visualise where you mean - on the outside of the hub or inside?
Old 11-06-2013, 12:55 AM   #1452
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Quote:
Sorry - I can't visualise where you mean - on the outside of the hub or inside?

Loads of room for mischief. Between the final drive, boot, & wheel hub.

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 11-06-2013 at 01:01 AM
Old 11-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #1453
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,748
So were is the RR?

I had the bike all ready to come but looked out window on Sat morning and saw clouds and thought 'fook that'
Old 11-16-2013, 03:59 PM   #1454
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
So were is the RR?

I had the bike all ready to come but looked out window on Sat morning and saw clouds and thought 'fook that'
Good call.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #1455
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Takapari & North Range Road - sat 16th Nov

There was some chatter on Facebook as to whether we would ride Odlins Rd or Takapari Rd this weekend. I deliberately didn’t advertise a ride until a couple of day before, so that I could check the forecasts. Of course after doing that the forecasts started to change, & by the time I hit the road Saturday morning it had clagged in here. It looked really black towards Porirua but didn‘t start to drizzle in earnest until just before Paraparaumu.

Met the crew at Waikanae at 9.00am. I was on Gus (R100GS), Col (Tenere 660), Scott (KLR650), Wayne (KTM 640), & Chris (DR650). Mauricio (KLR650) was a little late. Hennie was there, but decided given he didn’t have wets & the weather was closing in, that he’d go home. Good call.

Main Roaded it, round the back of Levin & Massey, Aokautere, to Ashhurst, where we met Marty (KTM690). The drizzle, which had settled at Waikanae, lifted after Levin, & it was dry at Ashhurst. However there was still heavy cloud cover on the hills. No real wind. I think if it wasn’t for that fact that I was aware that Marty was at Ashhurst, I might have rescheduled the day. So I blame Marty for everything else that occurred for the balance of the day…I take no responsibility at all…

Regroup at Ashhurst

There was a little light drizzle on the way out through Pohangina West Rd to Takapari Rd – just enough to keep me cautious.

At the beginning of Takapari Rd we discovered:
  • Scott had 10psi in the front tyre & 12-15psi in the rear – new tyres. He wondered why the bike felt off. But he had the most knobbie tyres of all of us (are they dot approved Scott?). The shop had also fitted the new power outlet that didn’t have any.
  • Mauricio had a roady front, but a more knobbie rear. Perhaps not an ideal combination.
  • Col was recovering from Rota cuff surgery, so the ride might be a test for him.

The cloud wasn’t lifting – it looked like we’d be riding in cloud after the farm section.

I was going to be tail end Charlie, but Mauricio stopped for photos fairly low down (I wish I had done that before it clagged in) & Chris was happy to wait at the farm gate, so I left them too it.

The road after the bush section is quite steep & I was a little concerned as to wet clay, but didn’t have any issues. Into the Alpine area (max 2 ft shrubs) the cloud meant vision was starting to be an issue. Up in the alpine section, the front end washed out, the right cylinder dug in, & I was catapulted off the bike. I grazed up my helmet & have some rib damage as a result. Chris & Mauricio passed me just after I’d got the bike back upright.

Shortly after I got going again, I found Mauricio part way off the track, on a ledge below the road, beside a reasonable drop off. Good job he didn’t explore that. Chris apparently caught it all on video. Chris & I helped him get the bike back on track.

Given I was feeling a little sore, I took the rest of the trip to the hut fairly gently. The Hut itself was the normal windy, exposed, & cool place. Given the weather, & my injury, I wasn’t going to go further up the track. Had my lunch here.

Wayne at the Takapari Rd Hut

Marty & Wayne wanted to shepherd me down from the hut – but I prefer just to toddle along at my own pace. It was good to get out of the cloud. Amazing views from the Farm/DoC gate. The weather looked like it was improving. Perhaps we would have been better going later.

Here's Chris's video of the ride to the hut. My fall site is circa 24 mins in

Col needed to get home, so he left us at Ashhurst. The rest of us went thru the Gorge to the Balance Reserve Café, arriving at about 3.30. We tucked into coffee (Chai Latte for Scott), sausage rolls, & some drugs (for me), and talked about the ride, gluten intolerance, Mauricio’s experiences coming from Argentina, Wayne’s business, and wandering stock & near misses.

Replete, Marty left to get home to Havelock North, & the rest of us (Scott, Mauricio, Chris, Wayne & me) headed up Hall Block Rd (no exit) to have a look at the wind farm & North Range Rd. North Range Rd isn’t a no exit if you have a bike (preferably with at least semi knobs) or a 4WD. The road starts well & progressively deteriorates. The track has some impressive mud puddles nr the end.

Scott posted up North Range Rd on You Tube. The awesomeness really starts from 25 mins in...

A lower class of road, for a lower class of bike & rider...

Mauricio

Scott

Chris

Given time was moving on, we decided to head home from there. Stopped for gas at Shannon, & then home by 6.30-6.45.

Good ride guy. Thanks for the company.

I went to the after hrs clinic this am, & they tell me I have ‘sprained my ribs’. I think it’s worse than that because I can feel clicking, but the main thing is that there are no other complications.

As an unfortunate postscript, Marty hit a lamb just outside Camp David, on Middle Road, on his way home, & needed to be airlifted to Hastings Hospital. He has been in a critical condition in ICU. He has broken 8 ribs, his shoulder, & collar bone. Fortunately there is no lung damage. He is famous on Stuff. Unfortunately they appear to have got most of the detail wrong…

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 11-17-2013 at 07:30 PM