Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2013, 10:39 PM   #1456
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,453
Shit bugger piss. Sorry to hear about all the injuries. I was uncertain with your cryptic comment re ribs today whether the broken ribs come around when we were both redoing our gearboxes or if you had had another mishap.

Has Mandy presented you with a set of whites & new bowls bag with an ultimatum?

I read about Marty's accident today on Stuff & grimaced as I usually do at the increasing number of motorcycle accidents. I actually thought I was reading a nursery rhyme when I read your RR - marty hit a little lamb

Still the cafe looked nice... coffee gooood....
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:46 PM   #1457
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,674
Shit thats nasty re Marty
He hasn't had a great run has he?

What did you to hurt your ribs - were there klr's on the ride?

Some nice photos in your RR

I'll turn up on a ride one day.....
Old 11-17-2013, 12:06 AM   #1458
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,725
Yea that is nasty. We've all had close calls with the white devils. Must have been a big off !
The Aussies have Roo's, we have sheep. Just as dangerous.
Hope he is ok.
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:45 PM   #1459
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,072
Here is the Heralds report on Marty's accident. More witness detail. Thanks to 1Waipukbiker for posting over on Facebook.

It's just better when there's twins involved....

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 11-17-2013 at 11:50 PM
Box'a'bits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:43 AM   #1460
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,674
so hows old clicky ribs getting on?
Old 11-20-2013, 01:10 AM   #1461
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
so hows old clicky ribs getting on?
Sore but healing. No way near as bad as the injury you gave me at Odlins Rd....

Isn't it distressing when you can grade your injuries, & tell when one is going to be a show stopper.

Oh it must be November, I've broke a rib again.

I am not looking forward to painting the House in Jan...

Old 11-24-2013, 12:14 AM   #1462
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Resolved the damaged helmet issue from the Takapari Rd tumble. Initially I was looking to replace just the peak, the clip on top vent cover & the longer plastic side screw - but that appeared spendy, & availability wasn't too good (the US agent wouldn't ship to NZ directly).

Eventually settled on a replacement 2nd hand Shoei Hornet from TradeMe. Plain Black rather that the Sonora Grey of the last one. Only worn for 2 weeks commuting (and looks it). Cost $450 rather that the $899 of a new one. Cured any lingering doubts about whether I should use the older helmet, but also came with a single spare visor screw, so I have been able to put the old helmet basically back together again. A good source of spares.

Looking at the international sites, it looks like the Hornet is being withdrawn / maybe replaced?.

I have also ordered an LED tail light, specific to the G/S & GS series. One issue with the bike is that vibration often kills the bulbs, & given it is a single light, can leave you without a tail light. Also they don't have exceptional visibility. I'll be replacing the bulb & reflector with this - AUD 60 + postage, & due tomorrow or Tuesday. There are 6 LEDs at the back to act as a rego light. I'll let you know what I think of it, once I've mounted it. Got it from Bullldust on the Aussie Forum.

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 11-24-2013 at 01:47 AM
Old 11-24-2013, 10:48 AM   #1463
Padmei
enamoured

Do you thing you could freight the shimming plate over again. I have my suspicions about the last time it was shimmed.
As usual repayment will be with a damaged choccy fish
Old 11-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #1464
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Will do. Do you want the flange puller etc as well?

Old 11-24-2013, 10:52 AM   #1465
Padmei
enamoured

No thanks I have that side of it sorted...ish
Old 11-26-2013, 01:21 AM   #1466
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Replacement LED tail light

Received the LED tail light from Bulldust today, & have now fitted it.

The reason that I bought it was that the GS tail light is a single bulb, & it is often killed off by vibration. There is nothing to alert you to this, unless you physically check. In fact when I went to do a comparison photo, the bulb was burned out. The bulb holder was originally chromed to give a better reflection, but this has come off in places. The tail light is also not very bright.

The replacement unit replaces the bulb holder & the bulb, & sits in the stock tail light. It is very tidy. The metal stays push over the tail light plastic screw holders, so it is positively held in place, somewhat proud of the taillight base unit. There are white LEDs on the back of the unit, pointing downward, that comprise the registration plate light.

Installation is pretty much plug & play, except that the wiring is different to the colours of the standard GS loom. Not really an issue. Brown is ground, the black LED wring goes onto a dual coloured wire with black in it, which leaves one other wire to connect. I re-did the 90 degree connectors on the GS loom, basically so that I could cover them (they are bare copper, & given the wiring is not captive anymore on the plastic bulb holder, I didn’t want them shorting out anything if they moved.

With the tail light / reflector screwed back in place, the light is way brighter than the stock unit. The brake light increases the intensity of all of the red LEDs. From the rear of the tail light, you can just make out the individual LEDs.

I am very pleased.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:12 PM   #1467
Bulldust
Bulldust

Oddometer: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
Received the LED tail light from Bulldust today, & have now fitted it.

The reason that I bought it was that the GS tail light is a single bulb, & it is often killed off by vibration. There is nothing to alert you to this, unless you physically check. In fact when I went to do a comparison photo, the bulb was burned out. The bulb holder was originally chromed to give a better reflection, but this has come off in places. The tail light is also not very bright.

The replacement unit replaces the bulb holder & the bulb, & sits in the stock tail light. It is very tidy. The metal stays push over the tail light plastic screw holders, so it is positively held in place, somewhat proud of the taillight base unit. There are white LEDs on the back of the unit, pointing downward, that comprise the registration plate light.

Installation is pretty much plug & play, except that the wiring is different to the colours of the standard GS loom. Not really an issue. Brown is ground, the black LED wring goes onto a dual coloured wire with black in it, which leaves one other wire to connect. I re-did the 90 degree connectors on the GS loom, basically so that I could cover them (they are bare copper, & given the wiring is not captive anymore on the plastic bulb holder, I didn’t want them shorting out anything if they moved.

With the tail light / reflector screwed back in place, the light is way brighter than the stock unit. The brake light increases the intensity of all of the red LEDs. From the rear of the tail light, you can just make out the individual LEDs.

I am very pleased.
A great post, so glad you are happy with the LED insert, I had these manufactured as the standard light on the GS's is very dull and we need all the help we can get stopping idle drivers running into the back of us. I too had lots of problems with burned out brake lights on my R100GSPD, one fine from an over zealous police officer is much more than the cost of these units.
Bulldust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:57 PM   #1468
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Replacement registration plate

Steve in NZ alerted me to the fact that you can get duplicate plates (5 characters in a row) to replace damaged plates. This allows you to retain the existing plate no, rather than register under another number. And with a side benefit for Gus of getting rid of the big ugly (& now very scruffy) square plate. Re the rego no, given part of the plate is part of Gus's name I was keen to retain this.

The following LTSA link gives information on the process

And the plates come from here. The duplicate plate costs $23. You will need a Visa card to order. Took 3 days to arrive.

14/12/13:
Have refreshed the WoF. 221,918 Kms, 4,792 kms up on the last WoF. No issues passing, but amusing to note that I think the WoF guys are slightly intimidated by Gus. I usually get to ride it through the station.

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 12-14-2013 at 01:02 AM
Old 12-07-2013, 10:08 PM   #1469
Steve in NZ
scared/cheap

Oddometer: 1,046
query

yet to order mine.

did you have to return the old one or what was the story there.

was it couriered toyou and was that part of the $23

bike = the purple pig
Steve in NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:13 PM   #1470
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

You have a choice, NZ post or Courier. Courier is $10 additional. I just went with NZ post & expected 3-5 day delivery. That was included in the $23. Yes, you do need to return the old plate. They include a reply paid plastic envelope to do that.

The new plate doesn't come with holes drilled - so you get to do that yourself.