User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2013, 10:15 PM   #1471
Steve in NZ
scared/cheap

Oddometer: 1,046
darn

so if you have 2 bikes the same model you cant put the same number on both bikes. User pays is what I was thinking. You can only ride one at a time.

who said that

bike = the purple pig
Steve in NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:23 PM   #1472
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Oddometer: 1,994
They send you a invoice in LTSA letterhead that says:

'IMPORTANT NOTICE
...Plates are manufacturer under part 17 of the Land Transport Act 1998. Your request to manufacture the enclosed registration plates is the official application under this act.
  • You should put your plates on your vehicle immediately & return the old plates in the post paid package
  • If you do not return the old plates you could face a fine of $200 for an individual & $1000 for a company;
  • The old plates are now illegal. If you drive the vehicle with the old plates still attached you could receive an infringement notice.'

So, yeah, guess you could...But it might be spendy

You can get duplicate plates for your car though, so you can display this if the original is obscured. So...

It's just better when there's twins involved....

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 12-07-2013 at 10:46 PM
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:39 PM   #1473
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,360
They're called supplementary plates & I believe they have that stamped on them or a slightly different size. Crafty buggers those ltsa types.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:52 PM   #1474
Steve in NZ
scared/cheap

Oddometer: 1,046
i just thought if ya owned 5 bikes then ya could just have 1 plate. Goes with the user pays principle.

why pay $500 plus for each bike when ya can only ride one at a time.

ya started up that RS yet. ????

bike = the purple pig
Steve in NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:10 PM   #1475
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in NZ View Post
i just thought if ya owned 5 bikes then ya could just have 1 plate. Goes with the user pays principle.

why pay $500 plus for each bike when ya can only ride one at a time.

ya started up that RS yet. ????
Well if you have 5 BMWs I think you'd prob get away with the one plate.

If that RS had been started we would have heard his joyful singing by now
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:41 PM   #1476
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
Well if you have 5 BMWs I think you'd prob get away with the one plate.

If that RS had been started we would have heard his joyful singing by now
Yes, the RS is running. Just working through a list of defects prior to it's first road ride. It has ATE front brakes & the front brake switch is unfortunately stuck. So I need to pull apart the front mastercylinder. I've just spent the afternoon dealing to the rear disc brake (which is the world's worst for getting all the air out of).

Old 12-07-2013, 11:43 PM   #1477
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,695
so the new plate is just the 5 characters in a row on a more car sized plate?

advNZer? screwed with this post 12-08-2013 at 01:16 AM
advNZer? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:58 PM   #1478
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
so the new plate is just the 5 characters in a row on a more car sized plate
Nope. Smaller than that. It's the rectangular standard bike plate 26x10 cm plate, as compared to the 20.5x18 cm square plate. If you go back one page & look at the tail light post, compared to the square plate which you can see there, the new plate just about touches the muffler.

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 12-15-2013 at 11:44 PM
Old 12-08-2013, 01:23 AM   #1479
guzzitony
Guzton

Oddometer: 157
plates

so is your rego stuck to the plate and a wof holder bolted on as well?

SHEDSAM- objects given/collected and stored in a
shed/mancave. esp car/bike parts.
guzzitony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:47 PM   #1480
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
Yes, the RS is running. Just working through a list of defects prior to it's first road ride. It has ATE front brakes & the front brake switch is unfortunately stuck. So I need to pull apart the front mastercylinder. I've just spent the afternoon dealing to the rear disc brake (which is the world's worst for getting all the air out of).
The ATE's respond ok to ss lines, MC kit, new cable and caliper overhaul.
I found the pistons rusty so fitted SS ones. They seem to work ok for the modest power that the R90 puts out.
Brake switch is probably the same as a VW one.(if its in the M/C)
The racebike has Cast Iron disks which I find pull up real quick.
I heard that Kane is doing a SS disc exchange for $200.
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:00 PM   #1481
bart-nz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in NZ View Post
so if you have 2 bikes the same model you cant put the same number on both bikes. User pays is what I was thinking. You can only ride one at a time.

who said that
Velcro dots...

bart-nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:55 PM   #1482
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Glendhu / Admirals Rd

Scheduled in an easy ride today, with an aim of riding to Pori Rd to check if Saunders Rd can connect through to Puketoi Rd.

Mandy was giving me grief about going. The rational varied between concern over the rib injury (...you said you'd give it 6 wks), with the underlying reason being 'if you can't paint the house this year...'

As it turned out I met Ricky & Matt Kernohan at Rimutex at 10.10am (I was late to my own ride), & we decided to ride together out to Glendhu Station to see if it as possible to link Glendhu via the beach to Flat Point. Ricky rides a nicely tuned blue DR650 with opaque safari tank, his brother, Matt, a yellow DRZ400, also with an opaque safari tank.

The day in Wellington was a little gusty & cloudy. Wairarapa was spotless, very clear, fairly still, & bloody hot later in the day. I saw 33 degrees on the Trailtech. With adjustment for the 5 degree LED error, say 28 degrees. Certainly by the end of the day the tar was melting,

The gravel out to Glendhu is the consistency of talcum powder at the moment – it’s dry out there. Unfortunately for Gus that meant no grip (tyres are pretty shot). There was a huge amount of dust in the air, which I assumed (wrongly) was Ricky & Matt having fun ahead. As it turned out that was a sheep truck. I’m glad I didn’t come across that coming the other way – it took the whole width of the road, & it was a complete white out behind it. Fortunately the Truckie realized I was behind him on a slow bend, & let me through.

I waited at the Glendhu gate for Matt & Ricky to scope out the Pahaoa (not a lot there). As it turns out, Glendhu will allow access to the beach, but to get across to Flat Point required prior permission because it crosses 3 land owners’ properties.

Doubled back to Moeraki / Admirals Rd. Just prior to the summit Matt’s bike lost the ability to change gears, & he got stuck in 3rd. So the tenor of the ride changed to a ride & recover. He rode it out to Gladstone, where we installed him in the pub. Ricky rode back to Paraparaumu to get a recovery vehicle. I also decided to go home, given it was getting hot, I’d had a bit of a ride, & I really couldn’t be bothered doing too much more. There was a caravan holding up traffic at the bottom of the Rimutakas. Got through on the bottom passing lanes, & had a clear run to the top, fast & smooth (for me anyway) - very nice...

Once home, I took Mandy out to Paekakariki for a coffee, then we had fish & chips at Plimmerton, down on the beach. A very nice end to the day.

No photos today. The single one I took turned out crap. I did think about popping a couple in from past rides, but that would be cheating...

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 12-15-2013 at 12:59 AM
Old 12-15-2013, 02:57 PM   #1483
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,599
oh well at least you got out for a ride and redeemed yourself with Mandy as well. Its not often possible to do both in the same day....

I ummed and arred about going for a ride but in the end decided that taking a load of garden rubbish to the tip seemed was a more sensible thing to be doing.

I'm glad I didn't come over to the Wairarapa - I dislike riding in the heat and dust almost as much as I dislike wind and dislike rain. And riding on melting tar roads is not high on my 'must do today' list either...
Old 12-15-2013, 03:41 PM   #1484
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
oh well at least you got out for a ride and redeemed yourself with Mandy as well. Its not often possible to do both in the same day....

I ummed and arred about going for a ride but in the end decided that taking a load of garden rubbish to the tip seemed was a more sensible thing to be doing.

I'm glad I didn't come over to the Wairarapa - I dislike riding in the heat and dust almost as much as I dislike wind and dislike rain. And riding on melting tar roads is not high on my 'must do today' list either...
If you'd come over we definitely would have done Pori Rd

Old 12-15-2013, 11:35 PM   #1485
bart-nz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
I dislike riding in the heat and dust almost as much as I dislike wind and dislike rain. And riding on melting tar roads is not high on my 'must do today' list either...
I think you need to give up bikes and take up knitting, or perhaps you could go old school and try bring back macrame.

I may have been interested in a ride, but didn't see this until too late. My current daily commute is out that way anyway. 50km each way of some of the most awesome roads this area has to offer. 30km of Weber road (like 52), 10km of real twisty seal (like isle of man), and 10km of freshly graded gravel (like marballs). I love it, but my tyres don't.

bart-nz screwed with this post 12-15-2013 at 11:41 PM
bart-nz is offline   Reply With Quote