User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2010, 08:16 AM   #1
BKMLWR OP
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,328
Life part 2....New Brunswick Dirt Tour 2010

I worked on this RR for over an hour last night only to lose it for techincal difficulties. So I will start and go slow on posting pics....

2010....year of the 30th anniversery...our honeymoon was a cross country trip on a 77 BMW R100s which is still is in active service as is the wife. We were going to do a week tour in the Maritimes especially New Brunswick, since we have been to NS, the Gaspe, and Newfie land in our before kids touring days.....
Tragedy struck on May 23 of this year when our middle (of 3) son was killed while riding his KLR. While the birth of children certainly changes your life, the death is something we still struggle to comprehend and certainly brings a major dividing point in life..hence Life part 2.
While the wife has nothing against bikes, she is not able to ride at this point and so with her blessing my kLR got the nod for a 4 day ride around NB. After planning routes all winter and being in touch with members of the NBDSC I was ready to take it on by myself with some guiding by NBDSC members....well 1 NBDSC member went down and was sidelined so I went to plan B which was crossing NB on a northern route solo and then get a guided tour in the Fundy area. It was an emotional trip riding such great countryside and not being able to plan on bringing Nathan along some time. and the tears really came when UB of the NBDSC asked me to sign the door, and I had to add Nathan's name too. Thanks UB for giving me some time to get through that and for the great riding around Fundy.

I did pavement thru Me. from Bangor to Van Buren where I crossed the border after 3 hrs in showers and mist and finally breaking out in nice sun.
I took the rail trail from ST Leonard to St Quentin and the following pics are from that trail with the first being beautiful sunny Aroostook County, Me.

This one is for Nathan who inspires us to take the best in life and live it, and yes, Nate, the God you loved is getting us thru

clearing skies in Aroostook County, Me.

The rail trail begins....

Moving on to Irving land where the trail gets a little wider...

scanning the clearcut for some large critters...never saw any but 1 fox...met beaver trapper paid by Irving to keep the trail from being flooded

a little rest stop....

and the road goes on....

breaking out into farmland near St Q

more later....
LifeSong

BKMLWR screwed with this post 08-22-2010 at 08:25 AM
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:01 AM   #2
Indochine
'Bikes are OK, but . . .

Oddometer: 356
I'll be keeping my eye on this trip since it's my home province. Unfortnately, I can't help guide you, BKMLWR, because I wasn't biking way, waaayyyy, back then and I don't live there anymore.

All the best on your journies.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:06 AM   #3
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,353
Looks like you had a good time Dave...it is good to see you out going again, you know it is what he would want you to do.
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:07 AM   #4
2twisted
GoodNYou

Oddometer: 2,689
2twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:12 AM   #5
Tslapper
#!

Oddometer: 5,944
Tslapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 01:42 PM   #6
BKMLWR OP
Wondering around...

keep waiting...I'm off to Lilybay until Tues. sorry....best is yet to come
rail trail is just a warmup...
LifeSong
Old 08-22-2010, 02:31 PM   #7
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMLWR
keep waiting...I'm off to Lilybay until Tues. sorry....best is yet to come
rail trail is just a warmup...
how do you keep a bunch of inmates in suspense..
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
Old 08-23-2010, 03:12 AM   #8
LisaS
Dubious Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Hope you are having a great camping trip!
Can't wait to see the rest of the report!!!
tent space
LisaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:14 PM   #9
BKMLWR OP
Wondering around...

on the way from St Quentin to Mt Carlton, we get a little preview of what is to come by a following a little sign which said "Bella Vue"

we reach the destination for day 1

this is not Mt Carlton but would still be a good hike.....

remote site 8 in Williams Section..glad I got a new tent..the one I used at Mattawamkeag would not have fit on the platform....

time for a little chain cleaning an oiling....

felt really alone with no chance to share this with Nate, didn't even want to build a fire so I went down to the lake and listend to his ipod for awhile....
very strange when all you have left is the music....

But couldn't let the memory down....

always enjoyed riding the cool morning shadows for about 15 miles south out of Mt Carlton..

then a left turn onto a logging road and headed east...

and so this is what you find between Mt Carlton and Miramachi area....
and lots of it...

not every road was big and wide....after many miles of riding this I came to a sign which said "Bridge Closed 5km".....I decided to believe the sign...

lunch break area.... I was at a bridge which a moose had walked under and scrapped a lot of shed hair off on the bushes in the springtime...

sign...NBDSC members might know where this is....

I met the driver of the truck kicking up dust later in Sunny Corner at the Subway...he walks up and says "were you the one taking pictures out in the woods today?" we were at least 80miles from where the pic was taken.....

glad the KLR is a tanker on wheels......sign says closed Mon-Thurs....pic was taken on Tues....

more to come.....
LifeSong
Old 08-24-2010, 04:20 PM   #10
Tslapper
#!

Oddometer: 5,944
Tslapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:38 PM   #11
MZcountryboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,442
nice ride and report!

Fantastic looking dirt roads up there.

hmmmmmm............

I don't suppose they go West - East do they?

MZcountryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:56 PM   #12
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Looking good Dave you really know how to pick them...

Glad to see you are still working through things...you are an inspiration to a lot of us.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:13 AM   #13
zaner32
In over my head

Oddometer: 645
Looking good Dave

Looking good Dave, lotsa familiar sites.

Mark, the owner of Governors lodge is usually closed during the week in the summertime because that's his slow time of the year. I just happened to be scouting some trails in that area last year and was pretty near out of gas. Stopped in, knocked on his door, and he came over and gassed me up, no problem.

Sorry I missed you on your way by.

Looking forward to read more of this RR
zaner32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:22 AM   #14
tommythecat
Vive ut vivas

Oddometer: 245

2010 F800GS
tommythecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:43 AM   #15
BKMLWR OP
Wondering around...

moving on...
stopped at the 44 mile stream

in the pic you can see where the 44 mile stream joins the Nepisquit River , (not sure I spelled that river right..) gps says there is a picnic area there....

complete with fire ring...wondered if anyone would mind if I camped there...

and so ends day 2....

next day was a bit of a slab day (the other side of dual sport) ran from Sunny Corner area headed to Elgin. in Moncton area took the Homestead Rd to avoid the TransCanada highway and the road ran this nice ridge which overlooked the TransCa somewhere in the valley.. Nice bypass..seat on KLR did good, never stopped from gas station in Sunny Corner until I got off the Homestead Rd except for this pic of fishermen...approx .2 1/2 hrs
but first a pic of the fishermen in Renous River area.

view from Homestead Rd....

stopped at Elgin General Store for lunch snack and headed to NBDSC headquarters......

starting to wonder what a FART trip would cost with license fees...

off I go with Uncle Brad for an afternoon trip to Alma....UB is very patient with my KLR as I try to keep his KTM450 in view....the landscape is different from the north and spectacular in its own way...

got to get a boat pic in Alma...

on the trip home we pass thru this covered bridge built over a waterfall with windows for viewing....

downstream...

upstream...

back thru the highlands and blueberry fields and blueberry snack...

and so ends day 3 for riding....UB finds out I'm a vegetarian (except for when there is ony 2 half pieces of cheese in the sandwich) but we both get all we can eat for supper....sorry UB, never occured to me you would be buying something special for the visit. I do appreciate the thought. I was having a good day , even the flat part of 126 was interesting in its prolonged flatness....when I got to UB's place he aske me to sign the "door"....(something NBDSC members know about) I signed my name and then realized Nathan's name should be there with mine...it was quite an emotional ambush...just want to say thanks for all the support I get from the Maine ADV riders and NBDSC riders...means alot to me. Didn't mention him before but I stayed with "saddletramp". Another great visit. Having never met before, we talked past midnight on mutual interests..(hopefully you have most of the movement back in th shoulder by now) and sometime get back to ride the areas you had planned...
LifeSong

BKMLWR screwed with this post 08-25-2010 at 11:47 AM