User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2010, 12:05 PM   #1
BajaBufeo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Northern India and Nepal 4 week trip

My wife and I are starting to plan our India and Nepal trip. Since it cost too much to ship my 990 KTM, we are renting a Royal Enfield 500cc bike for our 2 up travels. We have put together a trip plan that highlights the areas and side trips we are thinking about taking.

If anybody has any ideas or suggestions about the towns, lodging, and/or Elephant Safari and Camel trek we intend on taking, please let me know.

If we get delayed, or are too tired towards the end of the trip, we can always remove the Amristar days, and either extend our stay at other towns before or extend our Delhi stay at the end.

At this time, the only reservations we have are for the first two nights in Delhi and bike reservation - everything else is open.

Here's our plan:

10-3 Sun - Fly into Delhi Picked up at airport, transferred to hotel White Klove
10-4 Mon - Delhi Pick up bike at Smart Motors (Royal Enfield 500cc) stay at White Klove
10-5 Tue - Ride to Banbassa cross border to Nepal stay in Royal Shukla Park (300km)
10-6 Wed - Ride to Royal Bardia NP (200km)
10-7 Thu - Royal Bardia NP (Elephant Safari)
10-8 Fri - Royal Bardia NP in AM then ride to Bagwanpur, visit Maya Devi Temple (175km)
10-9 Sat - Ride to Kathmandu Valley (250km)
10-10 Sun - Kathmandu Valley
10-11 Mon - Ride towards Varanasi take 2 days (500km)
10-12 Tue - Ride into Varanasi
10-13 Wed - Varanasi
10-14 Thu - Ride to Allahabad follow Ganges River (150km)
10-15 Fri - Ride to Lucknow (200km)
10-16 Sat - Ride to Agra (325km)
10-17 Sun - Agra
10-18 Mon - Ride to Jaipur (230km)
10-19 Tue - Jaipur
10-20 Wed - Ride to Bikaner (370km)
10-21 Thu - Bikaner Camel excursion
10-22 Fri - Bikaner Camel excursion
10-23 Sat - Ride to Amristar (500km) try to do one day ride
10-24 Sun - Amristar
10-25 Mon - Ride towards Delhi on Grand Trunk Road take 2 days (480km)
10-26 Tue - Ride into Delhi
10-27 Wed - Delhi
10-28 Thu - Delhi
10-29 Fri - Fly out of Delhi at 12:15am

Total days on bike - 14
Total ride mileage 3680km

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Walt & Tammy

See some of my rides - I'll be posting all new rides in Advrider... www.waltrides.com
BajaBufeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:20 AM   #2
Pootrol
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
G'day Walt, and tammy!

This is more of an inquiry rather then a suggestion.. if all possible.
i have been trying to do a little research for a very similar trip.
how did you find your route? will you be using a paper bound map or a GPS?

also if you dont mind, possibly PM me, but a little bit about the enfields you are hiring.. do you require carnac cards/do they provide them for you, so on so forth..

Thank you in advance, im sure this might help a few people.

Warm regards
Dominic
Pootrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:30 AM   #3
vijus_n_n
Vijus

Oddometer: 4
Guys,

I did similar ride few months back.

BajaBufeo@ Only concerns would be days where you are planning to cover 300+ KMs

Pootrol@ With routes from Google maps you can start journey. Think twice if some villager suggests 'short cut' routes.

You can refer http://picasaweb.google.com/vijusnn , if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Cheers,
Vijay
vijus_n_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:11 AM   #4
Pootrol
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Thanks for that,

i used a paper bound one when i went through vietnam which worked very well,

did you use one, if so what brand/series..

did you push through to tibet?
Pootrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:31 AM   #5
vijus_n_n
Vijus

Dear Pootrol,

Since I had plans for India-Nepal-Bhutan , I didn't explore roads to Tibet. I heard for an Indian it is bit difficult to enter Tibet by road. Shouldn't be a problem for others.

In India , Nepal & Bhutan I used 'Google Maps', that is sufficient. Though I carried 'EICHER Road Map' which is available in any big book stores ( & Online) for 350 INR (around 7.5 $). You can go for EICHER Road Map.

All the best,

Cheers,
Vijay
Old 01-31-2011, 08:33 AM   #6
vijus_n_n
Vijus

Here is the link http://maps.eicherworld.com/about.as...oplink=&mid=42
Old 03-10-2011, 09:54 AM   #7
Phacochoerus
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaBufeo View Post
My wife and I are starting to plan our India and Nepal trip. Since it cost too much to ship my 990 KTM, we are renting a Royal Enfield 500cc bike for our 2 up travels. We have put together a trip plan that highlights the areas and side trips we are thinking about taking.

If anybody has any ideas or suggestions about the towns, lodging, and/or Elephant Safari and Camel trek we intend on taking, please let me know.

If we get delayed, or are too tired towards the end of the trip, we can always remove the Amristar days, and either extend our stay at other towns before or extend our Delhi stay at the end.

At this time, the only reservations we have are for the first two nights in Delhi and bike reservation - everything else is open.

Here's our plan:
Hello Walt & Tammy

Did your trip come to fruition. My wife and I intend doing a trip to india on our own 500 EFI Classic and wonder about the weather at the time of the year you intended to go

Would love to hear from you
Phacochoerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:49 PM   #8
TwoUpTourer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
India Nepal trip

This trip is on my radar as well. Doing Japan this year, so perhaps in 2 or 3 years.
I have a few comments, although as someone suggests, perhaps you have already done the trip, as you did not state the year, but I think it can't have been 2010 as it takes more then 2 months to prepare for something like that.

Firstly I think it is very ambitious to cover the miles you are talking per day. It is India, with umpteen trillion Indians on the road on anything that rolls. Secondly, as someone with many years experience of long distance travel, it is not the miles but what is in them that matters, and at the rate of 300km/day, it just isn't possible to see what is in those km's. Watch Ewan & Charlie on their Long Way Down show and note what they say about the schedule pushing them rather than the other way. It is clear they regretted not taking the time to look at what they were belting though. You cannot see all of India in one go, so take smaller bites and savour it more deeply. It is not like other places.
Secondly, Varanasi. It will be one of the great sights of your life. Don't arrive there one night and take off to the next town the day after. Take a boat ride down the Ganges at dawn, and it will stay with you for the rest of your life. Similarly at Agra. Everyone should make a pilgrimage to the Taj Mahal, and see it at dawn and dusk. Sit and observe all the foriengers walking through that (intentionally) dark gate and taking a deep breath and a sit down when they first see it. There is nothing else like it in the world, so take time.
I'd be interested if you could post some details of who you are hiring the Enfields from, and the rates.
The route I'm interested in is the highway that runs east/west through Nepal, ending in Darjeeling, India. I read that the UN funded it, and to quote an Indian who rode it, it was a beautiful road, with so few people on it compared to India.(He actually said it was like India without the Indians!) A great webite for India travel is www.60kph.com which is a Royal Enfield touring site. It is called 60kph by the way, because that is the common speed attainable in India, so there is a hint!
good luck
john
TwoUpTourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:29 AM   #9
wanderind
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
I would personally advise against taking Enfields...too unreliable and may take away your precious time and spirit. It is likely that you will have extreme experiences in India and you certainly dont want to add your bike on that list...
wanderind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:05 PM   #10
2albert
n00b

Hi guy's I did the trip in 2001. 6 months in SE Asia then flew the bikes (Transalp & 2 Dominators) to Nepal and spent 1 month there and 6 months India.
If going West you will always have a headwind! The only place we didn't was heading East on the nice ride from Katmandu to Darjeeling. recommended! The problem was with a tailwind the transalp was running hot.
Check the weather because it gets hot!
I am heading back to Kat in sept, we missed finding the biker guest house, any ideas where to meet othe bikers?
2albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:17 PM   #11
bharath316
Madbull

Oddometer: 85
The new Royal Enfield Thunderbird and Classic 500 will be better choices rather than the old Bullet Cast Iron 350 or 500CC. Do check with some of the adventure touring companies like IndiMotard or Getoffurass who organize rides in India esp the Himalayas. I remember my friends in Indimotard riding Husqys to the Himalayas. My $0.02.

http://www.indimotard.com/
http://www.getoffurass.com/main.htm

All the best!!!!
06 Royal Enfield Thunderbird
bharath316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:30 PM   #12
runpasthefence
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Do some research on your visa limitations. I'm in India now, and my visa stipulates that if I leave India at any point I have to wait two months before I'm allowed to re-enter India. There are applications for reentry, but I've heard that they aren't typically granted for Americans without Indian relatives.

If you don't have them already, apply for your visas/ reentry paperwork, see how you're restricted, then make your plans.
runpasthefence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:47 AM   #13
_DreamRider_
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by runpasthefence View Post
Do some research on your visa limitations. I'm in India now, and my visa stipulates that if I leave India at any point I have to wait two months before I'm allowed to re-enter India. There are applications for reentry, but I've heard that they aren't typically granted for Americans without Indian relatives.

If you don't have them already, apply for your visas/ reentry paperwork, see how you're restricted, then make your plans.
Good point, I had same question, I just applied for India visa and it states you cannot leave and re-enter India within a 2 month period, so I do not see how you could ride into a neighboring country for a few days and then back into India.
_DreamRider_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:02 AM   #14
dunters
Dunters

Oddometer: 25
Hey BajaBufeo, Pootrol,

Did you guys ever do you trip? I've been back home for the last year but am getting a serious travel bug again and I'm just starting planning a similar trip for this Nov/Dec/Jan 2013 and would love some advice. I certainly don't have the detailed itinerary that you've got BajaBufeo but the basic gist is fly into Delhi, buy an RE, ride in the himalayas in India, Nepal, (Bhutan if I can get in), and Bangladesh where my neighbors are from and will be this dec/jan. I'll take all the advice people can give. Paperwork, visas, must see places, etc... and if anyone plans to be there and wants to meet up.

cheers,
-duncan
http://duncanasmith.com
http://motorcyclemenus.com
dunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:06 AM   #15
ShaneBaby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
I am starting to plan an epic RTW solo trip and its my understanding that the season for riding Nepal/Northern India starts about mid May? the months you talk about doing the Himalayas will be the middle of winter ....I think? someone?
ShaneBaby is offline   Reply With Quote