User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2010, 01:02 PM   #1
LaPorte OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Engine Warning Symbol F800GS

I don't think this is anything but i thought I would ask the experts.

When I turn the key to the on the posiston, before I hit the starter, I get a (Engine in Emergency-Operation Mode) symbol on the OBC just above the TripII indicator. It's only on while the Yellow Triangle is illuminated, then it goes off with yellow triangle lamp indicator.

While the engine is running, neither symbol is illuminated, Yellow triangle or the Engine in Emergency-operation Mode.

Bike runs fine, no loss of power, good gas mileage. This just started this morning.Today is Sunday so I can't talk to the dealer. Anyone have an Idea?

LaPorte

LaPorte screwed with this post 08-22-2010 at 01:30 PM
LaPorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:50 PM   #2
Effisland
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPorte
I don't think this is anything but i thought I would ask the experts.

When I turn the key to the on the posiston, before I hit the starter, I get a (Engine in Emergency-Operation Mode) symbol on the OBC just above the TripII indicator. It's only on while the Yellow Triangle is illuminated, then it goes off with yellow triangle lamp indicator.

While the engine is running, neither symbol is illuminated, Yellow triangle or the Engine in Emergency-operation Mode.

Bike runs fine, no loss of power, good gas mileage. This just started this morning.Today is Sunday so I can't talk to the dealer. Anyone have an Idea?

LaPorte
Any other codes? I checked my manual and it if there is a EWS then its the electronic immobiliser, if there is a LAMP then the bulb is defective. Unlikely to be EWS as you are able to start the bike. Try scrolling through the computer INFO and see if any codes pop up. Otherwise, nada.
Effisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:42 PM   #3
Dieselboy
Journey not Destination

Oddometer: 1,121
Check the stator output. I got those symbols when mine died.
Dieselboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:46 PM   #4
blender
Just another rider

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Sounds like normal start-up to me, part of the system self-check. Mine does this. Those indicators disappear right after the self-check.

As long as the lights go out and don't come on while the motor is running.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:13 PM   #5
LaPorte OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sounds like normal start-up to me, part of the system self-check. Mine does this. Those indicators disappear right after the self-check.

I would agree with you except that that little engine symbol on the OBC never came on before yesterday. I have had the bike for 10 months. The lights all come on then go off during the self-check. But in addition to the lights on the left in that curved window, this symbol in the OBC comes on as well and goes off with the Yellow Warning Triangle. It's probable nothing but I did pay for this 36 month warranty that is added to the price of the vehicle. So I thought I would ask so I might have some information before I stopped at my BMW dealer. Wanted to beable to say what about the *^5#2, could that be causing the problem!

I have thought that maybe disconnecting the battery for a minute to see if that would resolve the problem and remove the indication on the OBC during self-check. I haven't trired that yet. The BMW Dealer will be open tomorrow and I will see what they say.

Thanks guy's for your suggestions.

LaPorte
Old 08-24-2010, 02:51 AM   #6
Dieselboy
Journey not Destination

Oddometer: 1,121
Quote:

I would agree with you except that that little engine symbol on the OBC never came on before yesterday. I have had the bike for 10 months. The lights all come on then go off during the self-check. But in addition to the lights on the left in that curved window, this symbol in the OBC comes on as well and goes off with the Yellow Warning Triangle. It's probable nothing but I did pay for this 36 month warranty that is added to the price of the vehicle. So I thought I would ask so I might have some information before I stopped at my BMW dealer. Wanted to beable to say what about the *^5#2, could that be causing the problem!

I have thought that maybe disconnecting the battery for a minute to see if that would resolve the problem and remove the indication on the OBC during self-check. I haven't trired that yet. The BMW Dealer will be open tomorrow and I will see what they say.

Thanks guy's for your suggestions.

LaPorte

If they go out then it's likely not the stator, but as you alluded, there's nothing in the manual that clarifies. Keep us posted.
Dieselboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:41 AM   #7
Tor
Native Viking

Oddometer: 801
I got the same "engine" symbol on mine when I turn the ignition on. Goes out after self-test. My wife's F650GS twin does the same thing. Goes out after self-test . Don't worry about it. It'll be alright .

2005 Honda ST1300 / 2010 BMW F800 Gelände-Straße
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:16 AM   #8
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,418
It is normal. If there was a problem, a second symbol should light up and stay on indicating what the problem is. If you get the word "service" on, 4,000 miles after the dealer serviced the bike, it means your shop employed a slacker.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:22 AM   #9
LaPorte OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Boy do I feel dumb. Tor and itatdm are absolutely correct! I went to the BMW dealer today(didn't bring the bike) and was explaining my problem, at least the problem I thought I had. Service said bring it in and well check it out. The look on their faces said, what's this guy been smoking!
I was on the way out of the shop when the saleman who sold me the bike said hi and asked how everything was going. Of course I told him of my imagined trouble and he said let's see if a new F800GS will do that, sure enough it did, so did the second F800GS he tried, as well as the third one.

I guess I can blame my old eye's on this one. I never noticed it before Sunday. It's hell getting old.

LaPorte

LaPorte screwed with this post 08-25-2010 at 06:56 AM
Old 08-24-2010, 06:05 PM   #10
Tor
Native Viking

Oddometer: 801
Quote:
Boy do I feel dumb. Tor and itatdm are absolutely correct! I went to the BMW dealer today(didn't bring the bike) and was explaining my problem, at least the problem I thought I had. Service said bring it in and well check it out. The look on their faces said, what's this guy been smoking!
I was on the way out of the shop when the saleman who sold me the bike said hi and asked how everything was going. Of course I told him of my imagined trouble and he said let's see if a new F800GS will do did that, sure enough it did, so did the second F800GS he tried, as well as the third one.

I guess I can blame my old eye's on this one. I never noticed it before Sunday. It's hell getting old.

LaPorte
I told you it was gonna be al...right....

2005 Honda ST1300 / 2010 BMW F800 Gelände-Straße
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:47 PM   #11
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,117
Quote:
... I guess I can blame my old eye's on this one. I never noticed it before Sunday. It's hell getting old.
LaPorte
Getting old is .... well better than NOT getting old

No harm done, no money spent!
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote