Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2010, 06:18 PM   #1
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 9,888
Eh? One last ride...

Ancient History
– If you’re not a fan of sappy babble you might want to skip this one.

Over the years I have become unreasonably attached to a few motorcycles, like they’re a family member or a pet. Sometimes I wonder about my sanity but what the heck I can think of worse thing to become attached to. I don’t become attached to every motorcycle I own but there have been a few.

My first motorcycle attachment was the third bike I owned a ’77 Yamaha XS750 – I called it Silver as in “Hi-Ho Silver Away, giddy up, giddy up, boom boom?…….. I sure did enjoy that bike. The last ride on it left me walking up I-84 toward The Dalles, OR when the engine went but we had a good run before that. Even though I enjoyed the bike this model wasn’t known for it’s longevity and I did have another motorcycle at home. Good Memories. (Everyone packed their bikes like this – really they did )

Along came my 5th bike and I was attached again. A 1986 Harley FXRD Grand-Touring Edition. “Aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh a Harley”! I enjoyed the bike more than I thought I could ever enjoy a bike but danged I sure got tired of hearing that “aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh a Harley” crap and all the people drooling over the stinking Harley label on the side of the bike.

The Harley wasn’t named but we had over 100,000 miles of good times together. When I sold it my eyes welled up with tears and the poor guy buying it felt bad about taking away my toy. I assured him it was OK and he finally showed his excitement in getting the bike. As I watched the bike roll down the driveway and up the street I regretted selling it but what was done was done. My boyfriend at the time shook his head and growled at me “sheesh, it’s just a motorcycle and it’s not like you don’t have others”. OK I had four others but ….. He never did understand and that’s OK because it really isn’t reasonable to get that attached to something like a motorcycle. (Ignore the hair style it was the 80s )

Oh to fit in those leathers again and to be that young again. Heading out on a six-month ride.

The last ride for the Harley was to Washougal, WA to watch Jeremy McGrath wipe the motorcross track up with the rest of the riders. That guy was so far ahead of everyone else for the entire race there wasn’t a chance anyone would pass him unless he crashed. The most excitement was to see how many other riders he lapped. At the time I didn’t know it was the last ride I’d take on the Harley.

Once the decision was made to sell the Harley I didn’t get on it again, I was afraid if I did I wouldn’t be able to let it go. At times I wish I would have taken it out for one last special ride but like I said I was afraid I wouldn’t let it go.

During the time I owned the Harley I bought another bike to commute to work on. I found this funky ’74 Honda CB200 and when I saw it I had to have it. Yep, I became attached to that bike too – her name is Frieda and she still resides in my garage. Any bike that can make you laugh when you look at it needs a name. When I look at this bike it reminds me of the ’70 when aftermarket bags and fairings were plentiful. Frieda looks like a Honda CB750 from that era that shrunk.

Next on the list of bike attachments is my 10th bike, a ’99 BMW F650, owned by a good friend in TX and I decided a fly, buy and ride was in order. We went back and forth a couple times about the bike because he wasn’t sure he wanted to sell it but finally he gave in and let me have it.

On the way back

I had begun to think my passion for riding was over and then this bike came into my life. Riding home from East TX with a side trip to meet friends in Death Valley renewed my motorcycle passion. I loved the bike, I enjoyed the ride and I loved Death Valley.

That brings us to the present, what’s hanging out in my garage and the need to have the exterior of my house painted before the snow flies. The economy has resulted in many people losing their jobs but I am one of the lucky ones that still has a job however the cost of living keeps going up but my wages don’t. Waaaaaahhhh, snivel, whimper….. The down side of being a responsible adult is some times we have to make decisions we don’t like. In the spring I was kicking around the idea of selling one of my bikes but just couldn’t bring myself to do it, heck I couldn’t even decide which bike I would be willing to part with.

Last week I finally made the decision one of the bikes has to go, period, do it get it done! The deciding factor finally came down to which one I rode the least in the last two years. Even though I’m attached to the F650 I had ridden the least so it’s up for sale but first - - -
One Last Ride……..
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:30 PM   #2
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Last Sunday a few of the local Advriders were getting together for a day ride north taking a few roads I enjoy so what’s a gal to do? Join them of course and take my F650 for that one last ride before it goes to live with someone else.

Walking out to the bike that morning there was a strange feeling in the pit of my stomach knowing this was going to be the last outing with a good friend. I focused on the ride ahead and the people I would be seeing in a couple hours and got a grip on myself with my silly girlie emotions. As I was getting on the bike other things started to enter my mind, the sound of the engine, the cool morning air and the excitement of going for a ride.

Leaving town I ride a route I take often, it’s neither the fastest, nor the shortest but it is the most fun. In about 10 miles the terrain varies greatly and so does the road which is what I enjoy going this way. I left a little early to give myself plenty of time to enjoy the ride before meeting the group about 60 miles from home at Usk, WA.

On the edge of town this road is a treat other than the 45 mph speed limit and the active patrols on it.

On through the wheat field to see harvesting the wheat has been done in this field.

But not this one.

I don’t like these things and having one out in the middle of the wheat fields is annoying but there were too many accidents at this intersection so this was the fix.

On to the Greenbluff an area filled with small U-Pick farms.

The Harvest House at the intersection is the place to stop for homemade pie with local grown fruit but not today.

Once I get to the Harvest House if I take a right and route it correctly I can stay on pavement or if I take a left I have some sections of gravel. Today I’m taking the left.

Then on through beautiful down town Elk, WA

Camden, WA isn’t too lively today.

And to Usk, WA where I meet Big Jer, Lamotovita, & PNWbuttercup.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:41 PM   #3
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048

Oh to fit in those leathers again and to be that young again.

……..

I saw that model at a gas station one time and went nuts over it...one of the coolest Harleys made IMHO.

I still fit in my leather jacket that my wife bought me when I was 18, I'm pushing it as it's a little snug these days.

I cried one time when I sold a bike and it was a cruiser. I feel bad for all the other bikes and it seems like they might get a new lease on life by being away from me.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:30 PM   #4
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Hi Larryboy

That's one Harley that wasn't well received by the "traditional" Harley crowd, it looked too metric. It was a great bike and for a heavy bike it handled well. It and I toured the U.S on it for six months, camping along the way. God, I'd love to do that again but that will have to wait since that work thing gets in the way of extended travelling.

There are a few guys out there that understand getting attached to motorcycles, most won't admit to it but they are there.

I'm jealous you can still fit into your leather.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:44 PM   #5
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,820
Great story!

Geez Ladybug, you write as well as you ride!

I'm starting to worry about this bike addiction thingy. As you know, I've only been riding for ~10 months, but am starting to look for another bike. No, the Dakar stays. I like riding the gravel too much. But Nanc is seriously thinking it would be fun to go out with me. She wants to ride behind me, not on her own bike. So...I'm looking around the house trying to find stuff to sell to pick up that second bike. This one will be a two-up street bike.

This bike thing is getting scary!

WU7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:46 PM   #6
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Everyone was early and we were ready to roll just in time to be held up at the bridge by bit of construction.
Lamotovita in the lead, PNWbuttercup and Big Jer in my mirror.

We headed N. on LeClare Creek Rd. and made our way to Sullivan Lake.

Have to have a picture of the lake with the bike in it.

My riding partners waited patiently while I screwed around and took pictures.

We followed the lake North and the cool breezes off the lake and in the shadows felt refreshing.

Break time at the North end of the lake.

It was fun watching the kids jump off the bridge. It took me to good memories of my Mom and how she encouraged my brother and I both to do things like jump off bridges. She didn’t hesitate for a minute to jump and we would follow after her. It was fun but I haven't done that for years and the last time was with my Mom.

Look at that, a bear has been spotted in the woods. Imagine that!

On to Metalline Falls for lunch

Parts of the Kevin Costner movie, The Postman, were filmed in Metalline Falls, WA in1997. I don’t think the post office appeared in the movie but I wanted to get a picture of the post office for this thread: Go_Postal

After lunch we rode to the Boundry Dam which is just a couple mile south of the Canadian border.

The visitor center is rarely busy

Those mountains are in Canada and that’s where the Pend Oreille River is headed where it will join the Columbia River to head back south through the Grand Coulee Dam before it gets to the WA/OR border and heads west for the ocean going through more dams. Just think of all the power produced by those rivers.

It was time to start for home and off we rode south. On the way up we rode the east side of the Pend Oreille and on the way back we were riding the west side. Both roads are nice rides.

Sacheen Lake

The closer I was to home my thoughts went back and forth between what a great ride I had and geez I’m going to miss this bike, do I really want to sell it?

Back the same way I left in the morning

As I was entering Millwood I knew it was about over.

Arrive home I was pleased with the enjoyment of the days ride.

After thinking hard about it and knowing I hadn’t been riding my bikes like I should be I made the final decision and put it up for sale –F650 After I pushed the button I had a twinge of “do I really want to do this”? I emailed a friend and whined to him but some men just don’t understand, once again the response was “it’s not like you don’t have others”. I love my male friends.

I figured I would leave the bike for sale in the PNWet regionals Flea Market, giving the local ADVers the first option for this bike but if it didn’t sell in a week the price was going up and it was going to Westside Motorsports to be put on consignment. I didn’t even take the stickers off it, which I was planning to do before consigning it. I wasn’t sure the ladybug decals on the side boxes or the ADV stickers would be a hot draw for the bike being sold by a shop.

The good news is the bike didn’t go to the shop. I received a call from Southforkspeedster who asked if he, his wife and daughter could come pick it up Sunday. WAY COOL! My bike’s going to a good home. This man and his family know motorcycle attachment.

This morning the bike's new family showed up. SFSdaughter sat on the bike and a huge smile popped out on her face. Then SFSwife got on the bike and the same thing happened. Oh yeah the ladies like the bike. It is clear this is going to be SFSdaughter’s bike.

We needed a photo of the handing over of the keys. When I saw this picture it made me laugh. I look like I’m not wanting to let go of those keys and SFSdaughter looks like she about ready to say “don’t mess with me lady, it’s mine now, let go of the keys”.

I’m sure she will have many happy miles with the bike and I’ll still get to see my pet bike now and then. Plus the super good thing is it will be ridden and take care of.

Sometimes dad’s get the first ride though and SFS was taking it.

Actually I think he just wanted to get it out of town and out of the traffic before handing over to SFSdaughter to ride it the rest of the way home. I understand he only rode it 40 miles and she rode it the remaining 150 miles home.

Bye, bye motorcycle we’ve had some good times together.

Southforkspeedster family, I know you are going to enjoy your new bike and I’m thrilled it's gone to you. Knowing it’s with you makes selling more than OK.

I love happy endings.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:56 PM   #7
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,648
Sweet story!!
Old 08-22-2010, 08:06 PM   #8
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
Still fits

Quote:
Hi Larryboy

There are a few guys out there that understand getting attached to motorcycles, most won't admit to it but they are there.

I'm jealous you can still fit into your leather.
Ladybug, I'd still fit my 1st leather jacket IF I still had it. At the time (1965) I wore 28x28 Levi's and the jacket was a hand-me-down (XL) from my uncle Bob. I had it for years, but finally sold it... and never did grow into it.

I now wear a large jacket... the old one would have still fit.

Yes, I still miss a few of my old bikes:

1965 K80 Suzuki trail bike (2 smoker)
1967 T200 X-5 Invader Suzuki (16.1 seconds in the 1/4 mile- I weighed about 98 lbs) It was a 23hp street legal copy of a road racer and would really corner well for me. Favorite road was hwy 34 from Waldport to Corvallis (lots of twisty stuff).

Still have the CB250 1991 and the CB125TT 1990, but don't ride them much after getting the DR650.

I'm still missing my 1968 VW Westphalia Weekender camper van... only two engines were used up(had third new engine in it at the time of sale). The hippie kid got a great deal for a $ grand. Sold it in 1990 after 22 years of van camping.

Yes Ladybug, I love happy endings too!

Dave
Attached Images

smilin jack screwed with this post 08-22-2010 at 08:15 PM
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:33 PM   #9
southforkspeedster
koolaidless

Oddometer: 1,972
Sherry,
This bike is a real blessing for Guss, and we really are honored to own a bike that you have bonded with

I as a dad, really loved watching her take that bike home, Guss and that bike looked like they belonged together. That was when mrssfs and I made the decision to sign the title over to Guss, instead of having mrssfs and Guss share the bike.

Guss will be downloading pictures tomorrow, we will add to this report (if you don't mind) and you will see the new home of the sweet little 650

Guss was supposed to stop and let mrssfs ride a bit, but just kept on going

I missed a really good photo op of Guss sitting on the shop floor in her shorts, reading owners manual, looking over the bike, she even checked the oil

Thanks again Sherry, you have made my family very happy

SFS
southforkspeedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:18 PM   #10
the darth peach
eats crackers in bed

Oddometer: 11,397
the darth peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:22 AM   #11
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

SFS, I would be thrilled to have Guss add to this report. Thanks for the ride home update. My pet bike went to the perfect home with the perfect family and the best rider that I can think of to make sure it gets out riding more than I have these last few years.

Hey Peaches Thanks for checking out the report. Keep an eye out for Guss, I suspect she is going to have some fun ride reports coming up.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:17 PM   #12
rodr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
Quote:

Sexy!

You look pretty good too.

Thanks for the write-up, that was a cool story.
rodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:58 PM   #13
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 25,887
Quote:

Over the years I have become unreasonably attached to a few motorcycles, like they’re a family member or a pet.
During the time I owned the Harley I bought another bike to commute to work on. I found this funky ’74 Honda CB200 and when I saw it I had to have it. Yep, I became attached to that bike too – her name is Frieda and she still resides in my garage.

Emotionally attached to bikes? Yeah, I get that.

Emotionally attached to a CB200? That I don't get.
I had a 1974 in 1974. My dad, who owned half of my XL175, traded in the XL175 I was enjoying (as I was then old enough for my license) on a CB200. You remember the one, the putrid pea green one with the black vinyl faux padding on the tank. It rode fine and had a manual front disc brake, but it was ugly, ugly, ugly. You just don't know how happy I was a year later when he traded that in on a new, candy-apple-red 1975 CB360T.
Hannda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:29 PM   #14
bogey78
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
Fantastic ride report/motocycle story. Ladybug, I can definitely relate to watching a bike go home with its new owner and missing it immediately. Don't laugh, but I sold a DL650 a couple of years ago and instantly knew I had made a mistake.

Who could fall in love with a Vstrom? I did. I now have an old Connie that is keeping me busy and keeping me happy.

BTW, that 6 month trip around the country must have been some ride. I went from high school to college to chiropractic school to working everyday before I knew what happened. If I would have known any better, I would have took a dual sport and a tent and headed out to see the country before settling into my life. Oh well, I'll have some adventures when my boys get old enough to ride with me.
IBA#33560
bogey78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:27 PM   #15
AZ_ADV_RIDER
Demons In My Helmet

Oddometer: 787

Damn that's a nice dam!

The road to enlightenment is not paved.
AZ_ADV_RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote