User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2010, 07:11 PM   #1
flwindsurf OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Lake Okeechobee Ride

Saturday 21 Aug 2010 – Five of us biker’s met at 192 & 95. I wanted to ride around Lake Okeechobee for sometime (16 years). Actually, I wanted to ride around Lake Superior, but Okeechobee’s closer. I invited about 20 folks and only four real men rose to the occasion: Caesar, Joe, Jason and Steve. We went west on SR192, turning south on SR441. Stopped for a pic under the old oak tree and further south we trekked. At Okeechobee, we took US98 south. 112 miles into our trip, Steve’s battery burst into flames. Smoke everywhere. I took Steve to the local bike shop, they scalped him for a new battery which Caesar replaced, but alas, Steve’s bike and wallet were like a Ford…found on road dead. We abandoned Steve, now a lame horse, and continued south on the dusty trail. We turned west on SR80, then north on US27. US27 is a four lane, boring highway. We were doing 70-75 when I developed a sharp burning, then breath taking pain in my gut. Heart attack? I now felt bad about leaving Steve. Was I next? I reached down to where it hurt and felt something crunchy. So I crunched and crunched and crunched. Pulling over into the median I found the crunched wasp that had somehow got inside my jacket. Stinging me two or three times. Not wanting to be abandoned like Steve, I fought off anaphylactic shock…just kidding it was just a bee sting…sigh…we continued north on US27. We turned east on SR78 heading back to Okeechobee. As we turned north onto the 441 heading home we were surrounded by massive thunder storms. Into the dark we went. Fifty miles of rain storms we drove. Soaked to the core, we turned east on the 192 and headed home. Mission accomplished. And that ain’t no Buell!
flwindsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:29 AM   #2
TheRidingLibrarian
F**king ssssssh!

Oddometer: 451
So where's the obligatory pic of your bike on top of the levy?
Like this?

If you ever go that way again, you should stop at the Tikki Bar in Clewiston, it's just off of 27. Great stop for lunch. Also, just outside of Clewiston, take a right onto 720. It's fun little road with a few actual (gasp!) curves to it. It'll take you right back to 27.

Incidentally, one of the gals in my women's club (also from Melbourne, btw) caught a bee in her shirt on that road as well. They must be after motorcyclists around those parts.

Glad you had fun and sorry about your friend's bad luck.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:54 PM   #3
flwindsurf OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
NooB

I'm a NooB. Stopped for the obligatory beer at the Tiki Bar My pic's are too big for the website. I need to figure out how to downsize so I may post.
flwindsurf is offline   Reply With Quote