User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2010, 07:23 PM   #1
cheaterbiker OP
AKA gaklx250

Oddometer: 10
dualsport or adventure ride???? with video

So here is the thing I love bikes . So much so I ride almost every day.

I have a zx 14 for when I fell naughty. I have a weestrom as a daily comuter.
There is the trusty klx 298 plated bike. Even have a motocross bike. All my kids ride even the smallest biker at 4 years old.

About the only ones in the family that dont ride are my misses and our daughter .Dont get me wrong Misses will ride on the back every once in a while.
Thats the background info that sets us all up for the past weekend.

It all started @ 6:00 am on sat as I loaded up the trusty 298 for a little back woods action in the very senic Hellen Ga . Truck loaded and the skies open up as I pull the last of the tiedowns . I figire I am loaded so I will get some breakfast and see what happens.

The waffle house is a neat place kind of like a box of chocolates .You never know what you are going to get. The misses and I eat breakfast and head back to the house .skies look promising so I hope into the truck and off I go.
On the way I get a couple of calls Mule and Trey are out . They made it @ 10 miles from the house when a frog strangler got them and there "waterproof " gear let them down. Brandon took a pass and watched the rain. the drive up was a mixed bag of mist and heavy rain .If you ever make it to Ga and dont like the weather just wait a few minutes and it will change. That statment will come back to bite me later.

I arive at the parking spot to a little rain but the skies looked promising so Brad and I the bravest of the brave unloade the bikes and headed off to ride the mountain in the back ground of the quaint little town of Hellen.

Off we go down 17 thru some twisties . I am leading since Brad has never rode the mountain . The route heads east along 365 to another road the name of wich escapes me right now. I am glad to be off the pavement now as the wet conditions have made my shinny new 606's kind of slippery.
About now that statement I made is bitting pretty hard. The rains comeback with a vengence. The forest service road is running in water. My buddy Brandon has always wanted to take me kyacking . I probable should have gone before now .The road we are on I had ridden just the week before . Now the easy rolling whopps are lake jumps ,the little ruts that where anoing last time are raging washes with curent that would steer the bike where ever it wanted to. Last time it was a race to the top in 3d and 4th gear. Today its a 1st gear crawl making sure every line is the right one.
We make it to a stopping area where we cut some nice donuts in the mud.
The rain slacks alittle and we joke about what we had just been thru.We feel pretty good until the whack of thunder rolls across the mointain.
Remember that statement?? Let me tell you I didnt think it could change for the worse so fast. Kyacking naa whitewater rafting is more like the onslaught we face as we take off to the summit. Trey gap is 18 minutes on a normal day takes nearly 45 minutes and we pass thru the "Boging drapstrip of horor" formerly the puddle of doom . "I stand corrected " we pass over , around ,and thru the rappids of trechery in the rock section of Trey gap road.The clearing was a welcome sight. All gravel from here to the paved road.The rains intensify to a rate of @ 1" /hour for 15 minutes or so. The rain slacked off to a resonable .5"/hour for the remainder of the gravel.

Paved road remember those new tires. I do .we head south on 17 the 14 miles back to the rain soaked town of Hellen. What a specticle cars running 5 miles an hour with there flashers on . Stacked up in the curves and driving like idiots on the straits. several trees had fallen on the road and had taken out some power lines.I felt bad for the guys working out in that mess. They were felling bad for us to . I could tell by the knee slapping laughter and pointing as we rolled on thru.
We make it back to the parking area and load the bikes in full gear. I strip down hop in the truck and look at the clock . 43 miles in 3 hours I am soaked to the bone and cold to boot. give brad a wave and head out heater on high.

Make it back to the house in one piece .Man a hot shower feels good after being in the rain all day.

The rest of the day is uneventful winding up at Medivel Times for a B-day celibration.

cheaterbiker screwed with this post 08-24-2010 at 04:11 PM
cheaterbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:42 PM   #2
cheaterbiker OP
AKA gaklx250

continue

The title of this thread says dualsport or adv ride so here is where the confusion starts. I apoligize for not taking any video or pics of the sat ride .
The rain just didnt make it worth the risk to the equiptment.
Its now sunday morning and I get a wild hair and ask the misses if she would like to take a ride to get breakfast.
She agrees and we gear up and head out on the Wee.What she doesnt know is that with my ride cut short on sat i am itching to go back to the scene of the previos days slaughter.
We indeed do eat breakfast at the famous Wendells country cooking . Try them if you get the chance located on 17 in Hellen by 384 .

At brekfast I ask her if she would be interested in seeing what all the fuss is about. She agrees and off we go down 17 to 75 and onto fs 44 .
This was her first multi surface ride and I think she is hooked. The smile on her face in the following video and stills tells the story better than I can . 218 miles on day 2 of this weeks rides.http://vimeo.com/14349015

cheaterbiker screwed with this post 08-24-2010 at 05:05 PM
Old 08-24-2010, 11:04 AM   #3
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,375
Another cool video How was the Wee off the pavement, two up?

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:06 PM   #4
cheaterbiker OP
AKA gaklx250

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator
Another cool video How was the Wee off the pavement, two up?
The wee is a much more capable bike than I had ever thought.The pirelli scorpion trails never left me feeling unsure . the power of the v twin is realy smooth. The Misses did complain a little about the ride . I told her to stand up with me and she was fine after.Over all I think within reason I could take the wee any where I wanted. I wont be taking it up Trey but 44 33 any place like that.I wont be jumping "the log of doom" or traversing "the" mud hole. The suspension is a little stiff but if you take it easy and pick your lines its great.
The road sections are smoth as butter . the Wee likes to run @80 . It likes the dirt and loves the road.turns in as good as any rocket I have ever ridden
As far as riding two up she is light as a feather and minds her position I hardly notice she is there.

cheaterbiker screwed with this post 08-24-2010 at 04:49 PM
Old 08-24-2010, 04:31 PM   #5
rodr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Nice! I have a Wee also. Did you have to do anything special to mount the top case back far enough to give your passenger enough room?
rodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:55 PM   #6
cheaterbiker OP
AKA gaklx250

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodr
Nice! I have a Wee also. Did you have to do anything special to mount the top case back far enough to give your passenger enough room?
Not really the Givi mount system bolts to the rack and is as plug and play as they get. I highly recomend them. I primaraly use this bike as a daily driver to comutee the 35 miles each way to work. I have saved enough on gas in the past two years to pay for the bike and all the mods.
I realized Sunday that there is a whole other side to this bike I have been neglecting.