User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2004, 10:12 AM   #1
Ricardo Kuhn OP
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,231
please show how you attache "Pelican" bags to you bike

First show is as in PICTURES...or diagrams or well explain procedures.

this topic is being explore a few times but never with much focus, sound like is time we made a collection of the diferent methods, alteratives and aproaches use to mount NONE motorcycle specific bags(surplus, plastic, metal, homemade,,,etc) into your two wheel horse..

the last tread was this one about the 640 bags but since the topic is kind of generic we better keep it Open, is being a few of them before lets try to make this one the collection of all the wisdom already explore.

so please try to keep it in focus and concise so we can all benefit from each other work

let it ride

Ricardo Kuhn screwed with this post 12-03-2004 at 10:20 AM
Ricardo Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 10:15 AM   #2
Hedge36
Chasing parts.

Oddometer: 44,301
You just looking for side bag mountings, Ricky, or are you interested in top case mounts as well?
Hedge36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 10:18 AM   #3
Ricardo Kuhn OP
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge36
You just looking for side bag mountings, Ricky, or are you interested in top case mounts as well?
I will say whatever since many of the methods can be use for diferent aplications, farder more even little cases like my XMradio prototype can be useful i believe

I will say anything goes as longest is useful for the comunity
Old 12-03-2004, 10:38 AM   #4
Ricardo Kuhn OP
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

lets start with the LIttle Pelican's

this one is soppose to become a pennytech roll chart if i ever figure out how to install the servo motors

Here are the rest of the pictures from the project

here is the really small box for the XMradio

all the wires are seal, the black grommet plays a big part of the roll

from the outside, after the box is close becomes totally waterproof the only problem i found so far is that the translucent "Roof" can generate a "green house effect" when is really hot..no big deal you just open the top since ussually when is hot is not raining at the same time,,,also to reach the controls the box need to be open, but the XM is crattle well enogh to not fall

other Photos of the XMradio project

this one was made for the Radar detector

and
Here are the rest of the project fotos

sorry I realie allready i'm out of focus since i show you the aplications more than the way i "mount them" well the rest fo the fotos show how was done..

Please feel free to post your won or anything you find interesting from other people.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:42 AM   #5
AFekete
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,208
Thumb Hepco Becker type mounts....

I believe that the mounts that are attached to the hepco becker aluminum bags are available seperately through another company. Since Touratech and H&B use similar style luggage racks it may be a good idea to purchase the bag mounts and attach them to the Pelican cases.

Check the backet out mounted to this case. It would be pretty easy to make a smaller mount and adapt it to some pelican boxes.

I know this is more of a fixed mounted system but they racks are pretty damn sturdy.

Also, SW Motech makes quick lock side racks that look pretty cool as well.
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/index...le/view/36/1/9

just some ideas...

-A
AFekete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 10:57 AM   #6
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,158
jimjib's setup (now scottcolbath's bike)

I am posting this here because I posted it everywhere else. maybe jimjib wants to speak up for his own handywork or scottcolbath as its now his bike (i have never seen the bike in person...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle

The thing I like about this setup is Pelican's are almost indestructible. Everything else, the big meanies in the asylum have broken one way or another. That being said, the rack and the KTM are not. So this is jimjib's brilliance IMHO: he uses cheap conduit (adel) clamps to hold them on. That way if ya take a spill, before something more important breaks from the forces the clamps break away and could save alot of cash and headache. The clamps are less than a buck and you can carry spares just in case (pun intended).

Pelicans don't keep their warranty if you drill them (of course) but they DO come with the reinforced drillin' points! (Nice eh?) And they are much cheaper than any other option short of soft bags or ammo cans. Many shapes and sizes to choose from. Just choose a rack you like that will work with them.

Did I mention they are waterproof?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=pelican
http://www.pelican.com/

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 11:03 AM   #7
Ricardo Kuhn OP
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

i never saw this one but i find it really nice

I can not wait to see what jim is mounting on his sand buggys this days.

come on jimjib show us your magic
Old 12-03-2004, 11:06 AM   #8
Ricardo Kuhn OP
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFekete

Check the backet out mounted to this case. It would be pretty easy to make a smaller mount and adapt it to some pelican boxes.

so do they sell just the "Bracket" to addapt to any bags

this is going pretty well from the start..

thanks
Old 12-03-2004, 11:07 AM   #9
meat popsicle
Ignostic

More ideas and transfers from the other thread:

Quote:

Working from the idea of a cheap "weak link" (so that if you take a hard fall they brake instead of your rack or bike breaking) and progressing forward to (as we discussed Ricky) a mount that quick releases, with some type of locking security, and adjustable break-away strength to vary for the load weight, that is FIELD REPAIRABLE ... well, that would be my path to follow. Yes, it is asking for the sun and the moon.

The repair stuff should be tiny, so as to not take up too much space in the repair kit.

As for interior ideas, I I would use some thin nylon stuff sack to hold the contents because they open on the side...

Better yet would be getting Pelican to make bigger 1420s because they are top opening:

I would also like to see a smaller version of their monster cubes for the top box:

something big enough to fit a D/S helmet and a bit more.

Old 12-03-2004, 11:16 AM   #10
AFekete
Beastly Adventurer

Thumb 1420's and mounting brackets...

Quote:
More ideas and transfers from the other thread:
I think the 1420's are perfect for smaller dual sport bikes and if they were a tad larger they would be perfect for many other applications.

The metal mounting racks, I believe are available seperately. Not through Hepco Becker, but from the company that makes them. A friend of mine was looking into mounting the BMW Adventure bags to Hepco Becker mounts as the BMW case mounts are rather pricey.

What I think would be a great idea is to remove a set from the bags and re-engineer them for smaller/lighter bags. They are made from stamped aluminum so manufacturing them would be pretty simple.

I'll do some more digging..

thanks,
A
Old 12-03-2004, 11:18 AM   #11
Ricardo Kuhn OP
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

breaking another rule

since i did not have a camara at the time,,hell I did not even have a computer at the time..

a few years back I use a bunch of shimano snowboard "CLIPLESS bindings (like SPD bike shoes but for snowboards) with exelent results

super Quick Release capabilities (90 deggre twist) and very narrow(less than 20MM) so they did not made the bags really wide,,
I use this with a set of soft bags(ligher) but I don't see why not they can not be use for a hard cases.

I'm being out of contact with that industry for a long time so I don't know if is any better alternatives available or they became obsolete.
for sure to mount bags this "bindings" are the cats piyamas
Old 12-03-2004, 11:33 AM   #12
AFekete
Beastly Adventurer

Thumb Mounting plates available

Through DARR at 59 Euro per side ($80 US jerk off the street price )

here is the description;
Lockable high-speed mounting plate for all DAERR boxes for the assembly at HEPCO & BECKER porter. Galvanized with the box one bolts firmly. The box rests upon laminar, so that on the rear wall with falls is not to be counted verb owls. Cultivation: The box with installed adapter is connected with the porter, by being inserted in front with claws into the carrier framework and attached at the rear end with a folding lever catch as at the box cover. Properly matching stabilization borders reach above and down into the carrier framework. The cultivation of the adapter at the box (and thus the cultivation height of the box at the carrier) can be varied approx. 5cm in the height. The box is to be secured for safety reasons additionally with a 1,6m clamping belt at the porter. The locking for the box cover and adapter is equivalent, a key been sufficient thus. For each lock 2 keys are provided. Tap: "gleichschliessende" Locks in sufficient quantity equal along-ordered, since the locking changes constantly, later only different locking to be thus supplied can. The mounting plate fits for all DAERR boxes, is differentiated only between right and left cultivation side. From the lock all small articles necessary for the assembly participate apart.

and a picture :

-A
Old 12-03-2004, 12:03 PM   #13
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFekete
Through DARR at 59 Euro per side ($80 US jerk off the street price )

-A
Very cool Andrew,

a few of us here are very interested in somebody engineering a break-away mechanism into the mount. The pelicans will be the last thing to break in a hard fall (especially if they catch on something on the ground) meaning that the rack, mounts, or worse some part of the bike they attach to will give...

my earlier post goes into this.

Old 12-04-2004, 07:35 AM   #14
rapiti
IOR Veteran

Oddometer: 1,896
Ricky, I would like to hear more about the SPD mounts. It seems like you could use an SPD to hold the box to the bike, and two or three other simple points to support weight/align the thing? SPD pedals cost nothing these days, especially the cheap knock offs. I still use ATACs on my mtb, but some nashbar pos would suffice in this context, right? Show us how you used them!

Paolo
Old 12-04-2004, 07:48 AM   #15
azabeemerboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,578

HB Rack and mounting donuts which are ZEGZ
azabeemerboy is offline   Reply With Quote