User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2010, 06:16 AM   #31
Catastrophic Failure OP
Catastrophic Failure

Oddometer: 112
Thumb Hancock Pass update

Hey LittleWan, thanks for the thumbs up! Hancock is open. There is a new cut just below the wash out which opens up access. Be ready for a technical ride up the last mile. The views are the reward! Later
Catastrophic Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:23 AM   #32
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catastrophic Failure
Hey LittleWan, thanks for the thumbs up! Hancock is open. There is a new cut just below the wash out which opens up access. Be ready for a technical ride up the last mile. The views are the reward! Later
Thanks for the info - We were just there in the beginning of august. Hancock was closed, but we found some other passes to ride (did Hancock in 2009).
Just wondering if they fixed it yet.

Hey, Nice U-T-A-H!

LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:47 PM   #33
bretedge
Do Epic Shit

Oddometer: 437
Great to meet you guys today at the Big Horn Motel in Moab. I'll be following the rest of your ride back to Seattle. Enjoy tomorrow's ride up Shafer Trail. Look me up if you need more beta on anything in the Moab area.
bretedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:36 PM   #34
Catastrophic Failure OP
Catastrophic Failure

Into the Canyons

A big event for the ADV riders today... we have finally seen all four of the bikes go down. Some have gone down with more flash and bang than others, but every ADV rider knows that Down means Down.

Flat repair this morning for a 640

Rolled through some nice high passes on our way from Monticello to Moab.

The weather was clear and warm

The riding was fast with clean trails

Rolling into Moab was a grand sight

Kind of hard to describe the landscape

Two of the 640s showed front countersprocket leaks and both had quick and sure repairs by Jim Ryan, owner of DualSportUtah.com Jim is a desert racer with many events and podiums over the past two decades. When he's not riding or repairing he is telling the greatest riding stories in the state of Utah! Check out Jim when rolling through Moab.

Jim is also hosting Dual Sport Utah 500 in October, which also benefits the RiderDown organization. Thanks Jim! www.dualsportutah.com

We took a night ride up Long Canyon and out towards Grand View.

Checking one of the hundreds of lookouts, and a dark ride back to base.

This area a Utah is the darkest and best in the USAfor viewing the night sky according to the National Park Service

Looking for more unique riding experiences tomorrow.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:53 PM   #35
Catastrophic Failure OP
Catastrophic Failure

Day ride in Moab

We did a little exploring up the Colorado river trail.

Cool morning temps, the elevation here is about 6000'

A few rafters getting an early start

Rolling up the red trail

Some gravel thrown in places

This desert gravel can be slippery, Bang!! Where did that big rock come from?

Elevated photo above the Colorado River

Its seems a long throw out and down to the river..... thats gonna hurt in the morning!!

Ya, made it first throw

Careful over there now...

A healthy leak-free 640 enjoying the view of the Colorado River. It still has decent rubber left after about 1500 miles of grinding rocks into sand...

Old 09-04-2010, 08:41 AM   #36
LippDog
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Thumb Looks like Awesome Riding!!!

Well guys, looks like an amazing ride. Looks like the weather, the bikes, and the riding are all treating you well. Keep the great pics coming!!
LippDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:33 PM   #37
Black Mesa Offroad
BRP Pilot

Oddometer: 231
Other than the two pics of bikes on virgin land , the rest are great........
Old 09-04-2010, 07:21 PM   #38
Catastrophic Failure OP
Catastrophic Failure

Bluhduh Day at the Beach

Wheels rolling out of Moab at 6 with headlights leading the way...

Nice rolling open roads all the way to Green River

We had a minor schedule issue with the TAT maps; we misunderstood the TAT map, there is only about 10 actual miles in between 158 and reset to 258. We chose to proceed to Richfield, so 250+ miles today.

So we just pushed on towards Black Dragon Wash.

The sand here gets a bit deeper and tricky for these loaded down machines. We all ride 450's and 530's at home and agree, this would be a blast on a lighter machine.

After clearing Black Dragon we hunted for over two hours in the deep sand washes looking for the route.

Temps started to soar towards 100 degrees and after several dead ends and silt traps, we humbly retreated to the dual sport bypass.

In reveiw, when you climb out of Black Dragon, and once you go under HWY 70 through the two tunnels, proceed a 1/2 mile down to the deep sand wash. Ride about 300' up the wash and stay to the right. Climbing right up and out of the sand.

After the dual sport bypass the route remains full of sand washes and a good bit of work, but rewarding!

Old 09-05-2010, 07:20 AM   #39
teachnsurf
Bonnie Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
I must get a dirt bike.
I must go to Moab.

Thanks for sharing.
This is my Bonneville. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My Bonneville is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My Bonneville, without me, is useless. Without my Bonneville, I am useless. I must ride my Bonneville true. I must ride faster than my enemy who is trying to beat me. I must beat him before he beats me. I will.

1st Epic Journey

teachnsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:17 AM   #40
Tall Mike
TAT Rookie (planning!)

Oddometer: 542
Orange!

Nice to see 640ADV's in force on the TAT. Mine feels lonely now! nice shots!

subscribed!

stable: '05 DL1000,'06 DL650, '99 XR600R, '03 640ADV
Tall Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:21 PM   #41
Catastrophic Failure OP
Catastrophic Failure

Richfield UT. to Border NV

A great morning ride out of Richfield. We did a little trail hunting at 25 miles in, but Trail 107 did the trick. The P'ute Trail was full of hunters and Labor Day traffic for several miles. Easy rolling trail heading up into the canyon landsWe Crept Down a couple steep shots, and one of the Orange 640's boiled the back brakes. TAT riders with full gear, easy does it here. In Kanosh we met Bob, owner, at the Sinclair gas station. A lifetime resident who was a pleasure to talk to, he gave us some sound advice for the upcoming tracks. We made it to Sevier Dry Salt Lake and raced the flat mud for a half hour. Throwing some mud after pounding rocks for 55 miles. Crystal Peak was an impressive sight, and midway point of the flat long desert ride. Long fast flat run into Border, NV

Technical Difficulty with the Photos, will hit it tomorrow.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:30 AM   #42
terrier
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
No Pics - No R/r

Here I sit stranded awaiting your daily pics and write up. BORED out of my ADVrider butt (cry towel please) So far your R/R and pics really hit the spot, thanks for taking the time and making the effort. Did you find a sprocket for "too tight Mike"?
terrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:54 PM   #43
Catastrophic Failure OP
Catastrophic Failure

A great morning ride out of Richfield, UT

We did a little trail hunting at 25 miles in, but Trail 107 did the trick. The P'ute Trail was full of hunters and Labor Day traffic for several miles.

Easy rolling trail heading up into the canyon lands. We Crept Down a couple steep shots, and one of the Orange 640's boiled the back brakes.

TAT riders with fully loaded bikes and gear, easy does it here.

In Kanosh we met Bob, owner, at the Sinclair gas station. A lifetime resident who was a pleasure to talk to, he gave us some sound advice for the upcoming tracks. Thank you Mr. Bob Nafus!

We made it to Sevier Dry Salt Lake after lots of gravel road. Then we raced the flat mud for an half hour. Throwing some mud after pounding rocks for 55 miles. This Dry Lake is appx. 20 mile long!!

Crystal Peak was an impressive sight, and midway point of a flat long desert ride. Finally, a long fast flat run into Border, NV

Catastrophic Failure screwed with this post 09-07-2011 at 02:50 PM Reason: photobucket link issues
Old 09-06-2010, 09:27 PM   #44
Catastrophic Failure OP
Catastrophic Failure

Rolling Northwest on through Nevada on the TAT

Last night at the Border Inn near Baker NV. we ran into Vinny the Snake, a popular ADV rider and a man on mission. He is riding his classic 76 Yamaha on the Western TAT - Unfinished Business.

We woke up at 430 and gathered our gear for a great morning ride through ranch land.

We rolled up to Patterson Pass and had great cool weather and clean trails.

We got caught by Vinnie and Joe early in the day...

We hit a couple of high passes and enjoyed the smooth decent into the lower elevations.

Pushing through the silt traps....

We grabbed the last room only due to the generousity of a local Ranger. She was working her way home from 10 days patrolling the Burning Man event. Thank you so much

We ran into a group from Germany and Switzerland who rent machines in Seattle, and ride to Vancouver BC, through Denver, Utah, and finally to San Francisco. What a great group!! So good to meet you all!!!

Catastrophic Failure screwed with this post 09-07-2011 at 02:56 PM Reason: photobucket link issues
Old 09-06-2010, 10:17 PM   #45
Vinnie the Snake
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,093
What a great day, got to ride along beside these rock solid guys.

I do have to admit, was a little jealous, the Old Mountain Bike bouncing along and this set of KTM machines burning the miles.

Thanks for sharing the trail and a great day of riding not to mention the cold drink when Joe and I arrived in Eureka.

2008 - Vintage TAT - Ut, Nv, Or
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331983

2009 - Vintage TAT - NC, Tn, Ms, Ar
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507149

2010 - Unfinished Business Tour - TAT, CDR Shadow of the Rockies
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615279
Vinnie the Snake is offline   Reply With Quote