User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2010, 10:29 AM   #1
dajg OP
dajg

Oddometer: 65
f650 twin oil filter options

has anyone found a common filter that works on the 800? like from a common small car? what specs should i be looking for? just thread size and diametre?

currently in pemba, mozambique. would prefer not to trust a DHL shipment from south africa...

thanks in advance
d
dajg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:04 AM   #2
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,112
Dajg:

I'm not sure I would trust a filter that only met the mechanical size requirements ... there could be internal stuff that would not be to the engine's liking ... backpressure on oiling system from the media, bypass valve setting to high or low, filtration efficiency not up to par etc....

I know I sound all "blah-blah-blah" but personally I wouldn't want to risk my engine on a filter I didn't know a bit more about - beyond the dimensions matching ... waiting to hear what others have discovered....
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:20 AM   #3
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden
Dajg:

I'm not sure I would trust a filter that only met the mechanical size requirements ... there could be internal stuff that would not be to the engine's liking ... backpressure on oiling system from the media, bypass valve setting to high or low, filtration efficiency not up to par etc....

I know I sound all "blah-blah-blah" but personally I wouldn't want to risk my engine on a filter I didn't know a bit more about - beyond the dimensions matching ... waiting to hear what others have discovered....
That's smart advice. Stick with BMW approved filters else you risk a warranty issue if you have any engine/transmission problems.

If an aftermarket does not specifically list a filter for use on your vehicle do not use it, at least during the warranty period.

I have first hand knowledge of BMW denying warranty coverage for use of a non-approved filter for an engine issue.

Caveat Emptor.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:30 AM   #4
robbepp
Why not?

Oddometer: 15
Well, I guess you can't be too careful... but TWIN OIL FILTERS?????

Isn't one good enough?
robbepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:06 AM   #5
dajg OP
dajg

Oddometer: 65
umm.. i mean its an f650 twin... as in NOT an f650 single. i only want ONE oil filter.

bike has done 10,000km on the last oil filter, lots of dust, dirty air filter etc.

the warranty is valid until october... although the bike had a 10k service, a 40k service, and now has 64k on it, i think BMW will already "void" the warranty.

its an africa bike.

best advice...? leave the filter with 10k and just change the oil? how many k's would you do on one filter?
dajg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:35 PM   #6
mapuda
Crash Tested

Oddometer: 260
You pose an interesting question. When I had my Yamaha FZ1 I could use a filter from a Mazda V6. I used to purchase the Supertech filters from WalMart. They are recommended as a good filter and are actually made by Champion. I don't use them on my F800 as they are taller than stock and interfere with my skid plate.

I currently use the Hi-Flo Filtro HF-164.

In addition to the Hi-Flo these are listed as fitting the F800 & F650 but what is unknown about them is the bypass pressure which can be critical.
  • Purolator PL10241 / PL25230
  • Mobil1 M1-102
  • Bosch 3330
  • Supertech ST3614
  • AMSOil SMF 122
  • EMGO 10-26740
  • Fram PH6063
  • Purolator ML16825
Good hunting!
mapuda is offline   Reply With Quote