User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2010, 06:04 PM   #16
Jody H
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
It's official.
Ducati has completed it's transformation from a motorcycle company to a "lifestyle brand" ala Harley Davidson.
'09 Aprilia Mana
Jody H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:15 PM   #17
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,526
Maybe Ducati took a lesson from MV

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:28 PM   #18
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
BMW Vs. Ducati,

Which one will manage to produce the worlds all time ugliest motorcycle? Looks like both are fighting hard for the honor.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:12 AM   #19
rhys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,661
Put me in the camp of.......

a short guy (like, REALLY short), who wants to own a bike I can reach the ground from, with lotsa power, mid controls (instead of the gaye forward controls), decent geometry for (at least) decent/safe handling, good brakes, sounds good, and something I don't hafta dress like a pirate when pose'n next to it.
rhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:02 AM   #20
Dracothius
Berserker

Oddometer: 229
Hey if it's got good power Id buy it. It's always fun to have something different instead the same old thing every other guy buys.
Dracothius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:03 AM   #21
Graemsay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
I believe that Ducati's test rider is quite small. If you look at the pictures of the Multistrada that leaked out last year he made the bike look larger than it actually is. So the Diavel is probably big but not enormous.

My take is that it's a bigger version of the Monster, but equipped with the electronics off the Multistrada. If that's the case then it could be more of a standard / muscle bike, rather than generic cruiser, along the lines of the BMW K1300R.

If it's got a reasonable range and can carry luggage then it could be very interesting...
Graemsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:05 AM   #22
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 10,305
I don't know how many Ducati (drivel?) will sell, but it seems like they can make only a few bikes and still make money? How many street fighters sold?

Looks like a knock off of the new Yamaha V-max. I gage success on how many I see out on the road everyday. Maybe I have seen 1 new V-max and 1 street fighter in the last 2 years.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:30 AM   #23
apessino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigincali
They cant be serious about that bike. it doesnt even look finished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T.
I don't know how many Ducati (drivel?) will sell, but it seems like they can make only a few bikes and still make money? How many street fighters sold?

Looks like a knock off of the new Yamaha V-max. I gage success on how many I see out on the road everyday. Maybe I have seen 1 new V-max and 1 street fighter in the last 2 years.
I don't doubt that your approach to gauging success is utterly scientific, but maybe I can provide some actual sales data instead?

The motorcycle market is worldwide and the US is a relatively small part of it, especially when it comes to naked performance bikes.

The Streetfighter, as expensive as it is, has been Ducati's 4th best selling model in Europe this year, much more popular than the SBKs. The new Hyper 796 is their best selling model; a huge hit eclipsing even the small Monster (their traditional mass market bike and next on their best seller list). The new Multi is 3rd - also a big hit. Apparently Ducati could have sold quite a few more if they had been able to keep up with demand. Next, the Streetfighter, which sold so far a good 30% more than 1198, the 5th bike on their list.

The Dievel is targeted primarily at the European markets - I think it'll do better than other bikes in its segment here in the US, but I think it will be a winner for Ducati in their home market.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:05 PM   #24
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 38,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T.

It all matters where you are, when I had the CBR1100XX I never saw any where I was living (suburbs west of Boston) we have a over represented BMW riding population though. If I was going by that I would think BMW sells as well as Harley and better than the Japanese.

But when riding in Cambridge MA almost every time I would see another blackbird owner.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:14 PM   #25
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,373
It will probably be 200 lbs lighter than any other bike in the class. 300 less than a new V-Max. Probably a fair amount less expensive than the Yamaha too as well.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:56 PM   #26
Graemsay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
This blog post claims that Ducati are targeting a 200 kg / 440 lbs dry weight.

The Multistrada is claimed to be 190 kg dry, and has been weighed at around 230 kg wet, so I'd expect the Diavel to be around 240 kg / 530 lbs fully fuelled.

In terms of dimensions, I reckon it's going to be closer to something like the Moto Guzzi Griso, albeit a touch lighter and more powerful, rather than being a Harley, B-King or V-Max.
Graemsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:26 PM   #27
duckboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291

i can't believe the size of those primaries coming off the engine and snaking around on the right side! wonder if the displacement's higher than the current 1200 config?

reminds me not of a harley but more of a Confederate. nice.

duckboy
homedepot platinum card
duckboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:50 PM   #28
ViperJustin
Back in school...

Oddometer: 632
Ill have to wait to see the finished product in person. Id still take the BMW Lo-Rider (Will you just build the damn thing already?) over this thing though. But that Duc would make one hell of an exhaust note...
08 MegaMoto #99529 For sale. PM for details.
ViperJustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 12:35 AM   #29
rhys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,661
Re. the new(er) V-Max mentioned in this thread a few times.....

WHY pray tell, is that novelty bike/'thing' so damn expensive?!?
It's not like it's exotic or anything...., it's Japanese!
rhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 01:19 AM   #30
RedDogAlberta
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 5,812
I was at a local bike night recently and happened to be chatting with the owners of a new V-Max on one side of me and a Ducati Monster 696 Black on the other. I noted their admiration for each other's machines. They talked at length.

Depending on the economy this brute could sell here when combining a number of desirable characteristics from a cross section of machines. My one observation is that is appears awfully long. I tend to associate Ducati with tight, athletic wheelbases.