ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-29-2006, 09:54 PM   #16
boatworker
Slow Old Guy

Oddometer: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John E Davies
So can you in fact download maps to it using MapSource?

John Davies
Spokane WA
John, I don't know. It comes preloaded and you don't get any discs. If you hook it up to a computer with the USB cable, it shows as two seperate drives. One for the extra memory in the unit itself and the other is the card slot.

There are folders in the main drive for MP3's, JPEGS and Audio book files. There is also a waypoints folder.

Actually, I just opened the Owners Manual file and it says...

You can purchase additional Mapsource map data from Garmin and load the maps on your nuvi's internal memory or an optional SD card. Follow the instructions that came with the new map data to properly install the maps to your computer and nuvi. In order to enable additional maps, you need your unit ID and Serial Number.

It goes on to say that using Mapsource, you can create and save waypoints to the nuvi.

So, I guess that would be a Yes to your question.
boatworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 12:18 PM   #17
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 8,035
Nuvi 350

Well, my excuse is, I need something light & portable to use in rental cars when I fly to various cities during the week. So I'm going to get a Nuvi 350.

Since it has a 4-8 hour rechargable battery life, I'm gonna try using it on weekends on the bike under the waterproof plastic clear top on my tank bag. Probably a dumb idea, but, it's helping me rationalize the purchase. You'll hear more. If it works.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 09:51 AM   #18
Surly
surly adventurer

Oddometer: 2,131
Just saw this on GPSNOW for 650
Its very apealing
The 26xx's are more money and I dont know that he 3xx's are as good

I have a VistaC now and I like it but a bigger screen and more memory are two things I wsh I had

I pray that you dont look at me
I pray I dont look back...

Where is Surly?
Surly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 06:39 AM   #19
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly
Just saw this on GPSNOW for 650
Its very apealing
The 26xx's are more money and I dont know that he 3xx's are as good

I have a VistaC now and I like it but a bigger screen and more memory are two things I wsh I had
I have the Nuvi, and it is a great GPS, but it is NOT waterproof, so it is not suitable for bike use, nor are the 3xx series.

I have the Nuvi in the cage, and a 60CSX for use use on the bikes.
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 07:55 AM   #20
Caffeind
Team Piggly Wiggly

Oddometer: 11,555
SWMBO got a Nuvi for Christmas, now what can I do with it?

I got her the 350. It's a nice little unit for the car. We have used it for a couple of trips, and it works quite well.

Now I'm wondering about software. It didn't come with any CDs or DVDs. City Navigator North America NT is preloaded on the unit, but I'd like something I can use on my PC to plan more complex routes than here-to-there with one or two waypoints. Do I have to order the City Navigator NA NT DVD in order to do this? I guess I'm just having trouble navigating and interpereting Garmin's site, since I'm a total GPS n00b.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:58 AM   #21
Caffeind
Team Piggly Wiggly

Oddometer: 11,555
I should add that the product info page doesn't talk about software much beyond the POI Loader that doesn't quite seem to do what I'm interested in.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:31 AM   #22
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeind
I got her the 350. It's a nice little unit for the car. We have used it for a couple of trips, and it works quite well.

Now I'm wondering about software. It didn't come with any CDs or DVDs. City Navigator North America NT is preloaded on the unit, but I'd like something I can use on my PC to plan more complex routes than here-to-there with one or two waypoints. Do I have to order the City Navigator NA NT DVD in order to do this? I guess I'm just having trouble navigating and interpereting Garmin's site, since I'm a total GPS n00b.

I've seen some comments on POI-Factory that many people have emailed or called Garmin and they have sent them the City Navigator DVD for the preloaded units so you could try that and play with Mapsource on the PC to do some route planning.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:18 AM   #23
aero750
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Help w/Nuvi and SD Card for MP3 Music Files

I have a new Nuvi 660 for my aging eyes. Nice large display and very bright to boot!

I am suppose to be able to transfer MP3 files to my SD Card and be able to play them. That's where my confusion starts.

These are definitely MP3 music files that I have copied to the SD card. However, the Nuvi does not see them. I have made it simple. One folder in the root directory with a song inside and one song in the root directory by itself (hoping that it would see at leat one of the entries). The Nuvi does not want to see either. I have also tried both formats from within a root directory call MP3, like on the Nuvi home page.

What am I doing wrong? There is not a great deal of support from their manual or website.

Does the Nuvi expect to find the SD card with a special name, like Nuvi SD?

Does the Nuvi expect to see a root folder called MP3 on the SD Card, with music inside?

I've tried it several different ways but have not been successful. All I can see/hear are the demos built-in to the Nuvi.

The SD Card is a 2gb. Format is FAT32, with no quick format box checked. Using WXP, no tricky Vista format here!

Any other suggestions you have would be very welcomed.

Be safe out there. Thanks for your help for a noob.
aero750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 02:58 AM   #24
BurnieM
Nipple boy

Oddometer: 4,104
Yes the files need to be in a folder called 'mp3'
The nuvi will only play mp3 format files, not wmv or aac (default Ipod format)

Try reformating the card as FAT
Not sure if FAT32 is supported yet and besides you do not need it for a 2 GB card.
BurnieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 09:51 PM   #25
aero750
n00b

Oddometer: 6
SD Card Update for the Nuvi 660

Thanks, BurnieM, for your helpful recommendations.

I followed them to the letter, but never could get anything to work with my new "Garmin recommended 2gb SD Card" (seems to be a strange contradiction of bed fellows in that statement).

Finally, I started digging through my drawers and found what was then a state of the art technology 256mb SD card. It worked fine. Then I tried a 1 gb card--same success. Tried the new Sandisk 2gb SD card--same failure.

At 8am on Monday morn, I called the ever fasting acting Garmin support. They, of course, pointed to the SD card--the most obvious suspect. Even went as far as to say they had a 4gb card working with their 660. Asked me to take the new card back to the bricks and mortar retail location and try what was "Behind Curtain Number 2, Jane" (for those of you raised on B&W televisions--you know who you are).

If the new card failed, I would have to send the new Nuvi 660 unit back to them for R&D Testing. Grrrr!

We stopped by and exchanged for another SanDisk 2gb card, loaded a test file from my iPaq on the new card while in the store, and SUCCESS. Imagine that. The first new SanDisk card had failed right out of the box and cost the user countless hours--where's that great quality control again, SanDisk?

So for you readers out there, be not dismayed. Garmin recommends making an MP3 Folder to keep all the music in on the external SD card.

By the way, be sure you have updated your Nuvi software as well. New in the box, mine was over 7 months old. The Garmin techs were a good help with that and provided the reassurance that everything was running properly--nice touch!

Ride safe out there!
aero750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:54 PM   #26
John E Davies
Runs at Mouth Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,222
Garmin Nuvi 350 for $350 at Costco

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...=&cat=4947&b=1

$130 Rebate is good through March 2007.

That page also has a Sandisk 2 GB memory card for $35, so you don't even have to hunt around for a decent price on storage.

Home Page: http://www.spokanister.net

John E Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 09:49 PM   #27
DeSoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Sounds like a deal. It would be great for your car. It is not waterproof enough for your cycle though.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:22 PM   #28
Ursa Major
Bemused

Oddometer: 849
Thanks for the heads up, just bought one + 2gb card. I have the BMW Nav II for the bikes, this one's for the car/pocket/rent-a-cars/etc. A couple of friends have Nuvis, and they're nice little toys - at that price it's worth a flyer.

EDIT: Just went back to check the link to pass along to a friend, it now says "We're sorry. This product is not available." Must have sold out quick, glad I grabbed one.
Thirty years from now there will be a huge amount of oil - and no buyers. Oil will be left in the ground. The Stone Age came to an end, not because we had a lack of stones, and the oil age will come to an end not because we have a lack of oil. - Saudi Oil Minister Sheik Yamani, in 2000
Ursa Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:29 PM   #29
frewhl
daily rider

Oddometer: 8,726
Do you know if these are refurbished models in a plain white box?
I called the factory the other day because the new big electronic store was underselling our MAP price.The rep said some stores buy and sell reconditioned units without restrictions.The store led me to believe they were just setting up a instore rebate.
Then I headed over to where my girlfriend works. Greg, the boss, followed us outside and kept trying to tell me about how he went to Las Vegas one time on a motocycle. I was like, "oh-kay, that's great Greg."

Just back from Prudhoe Bay, IMO it was really worth the trip, AK is a beautiful place & you need lots of time to take it all in. I'm looking forward to returning & exploring some places i didn't have time to ride.RIP Ron Melton
frewhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:38 PM   #30
Ursa Major
Bemused

Oddometer: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewhl
Do you know if these are refurbished models in a plain white box?
When I bought it I looked for any mention that it was refurbished, didn't see it. I could have missed it, though. The price doesn't surprise me that much - it's about $100 less than Amazon - they usually have the lowest Garmin prices I've seen, though the difference is reduced to around $70 after tax and shipping from Costco. Amazon now has the 360 and 370, I'd guess that Garmin cut a deal with Costco for a bulk purchase of excess inventory of a superseded model (that meets my needs just fine).
Thirty years from now there will be a huge amount of oil - and no buyers. Oil will be left in the ground. The Stone Age came to an end, not because we had a lack of stones, and the oil age will come to an end not because we have a lack of oil. - Saudi Oil Minister Sheik Yamani, in 2000
Ursa Major is offline   Reply With Quote