ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-05-2007, 11:52 AM   #31
pbansen
Hosehead

Oddometer: 434
Not any more...

The Costco site today says:

"We're sorry, this product is not available.11159739"

Bummer - looked like a great deal. They may show up on Amazon for a comparable price, though. Amazon had a better deal on the 2730 than Costco, particularly when you figured in tax and shipping. Hard to beat Costco's 'no questions asked, here's your cash' return policy, though...
pbansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:00 PM   #32
frewhl
daily rider

Oddometer: 8,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursa Major
When I bought it I looked for any mention that it was refurbished, didn't see it. I could have missed it, though. ).

Seriously,I have never seen the plain white box,but that is what Garmin said they sell a lot of,with the regular warrenty and service.
Then I headed over to where my girlfriend works. Greg, the boss, followed us outside and kept trying to tell me about how he went to Las Vegas one time on a motocycle. I was like, "oh-kay, that's great Greg."

Just back from Prudhoe Bay, IMO it was really worth the trip, AK is a beautiful place & you need lots of time to take it all in. I'm looking forward to returning & exploring some places i didn't have time to ride.RIP Ron Melton
frewhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 07:57 PM   #33
gozone
piddler extraordinaire

Oddometer: 171
nuvi + topo maps

I have the US topo maps from my 376. Can I load these on an SD card for use on the Nuvi?
gozone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:16 PM   #34
RoughRider
elderly windbreaker

Oddometer: 122
Tracking?

What about tracking? I've heard that the nuvi doesn't show tracks on the screen. I also heard that you can't lay out a route through multiple waypoints. I kinda doubt both of these rumors and I hope that they aren't true. I like having those features on my Garmin Quest, and am interested in the Nuvi mostly because of the larger screen.

Thanx

RoughRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 05:02 PM   #35
RoughRider
elderly windbreaker

Oddometer: 122
Just Checkin' In....

RoughRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 08:35 PM   #36
frewhl
daily rider

Oddometer: 8,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughRider
What about tracking? I've heard that the nuvi doesn't show tracks on the screen. I also heard that you can't lay out a route through multiple waypoints. I kinda doubt both of these rumors and I hope that they aren't true. I like having those features on my Garmin Quest, and am interested in the Nuvi mostly because of the larger screen.

Thanx
I guess you are right about the tracking.

It is so easy to create a route and insert as many via points as you want.

Quest II is still the unit for all GPS features and all maps and it speaks.
Also now,the 378 has all of the streets on board too and still tracks and routes.
Then I headed over to where my girlfriend works. Greg, the boss, followed us outside and kept trying to tell me about how he went to Las Vegas one time on a motocycle. I was like, "oh-kay, that's great Greg."

Just back from Prudhoe Bay, IMO it was really worth the trip, AK is a beautiful place & you need lots of time to take it all in. I'm looking forward to returning & exploring some places i didn't have time to ride.RIP Ron Melton
frewhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 08:44 PM   #37
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,821
I've had Garmin auto GPS's fromn the 2610 up.

We now have Nuvi 660's and they're GREAT! Big bright screen; easy mounting; internal battery for walking use etc.

Only downside for a MC is they're not completely waterproof and control is via touchscreen. They do support BlueTooth so it can talk to your helmet if you want.

Garmin makes a distinct series called Zumo for motorcycles.
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:01 PM   #38
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,835
I use a Nuvi in my cage and take it with me when I fly to other cities. It's great. The battery lasts 3-4 hours and has voice prompts. Easy to use, pack & charge.

We comparied the course selection to a 27xx and it preformed the same. Comes loaded with USA & Canada and I used it in about 20 States and 4 provinces.

Ain't waterproof.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 03:46 AM   #39
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,465
Talking a Garmin Nuvi on an XT350

Well, I got a little ambitious yesterday, but first a bit of background.
I am a truck driver by trade, but have a couple of degrees (Arch. Drafting, and C.I.S.), I rely heavily on a GPS for truckin' across the US, so when I got my XT, I really missed my little digital map.

The TomTom I used in the big rig died yesterday, it was less than two months old. So off to the store to swap it out!

My goal was to get this

on to this

using what I had laying around my shed. What I found were these items

The thing on the right is this

an ice tray (that I have never used) out of a 12v cooler I use in the big rig.

I used a gun rack bar clamp of some kind (came with the XT when I bought it from the guy) found a bolt that would go down in the threaded clamp end, spaced it with some washers and an aditional nut to hold the ice tray to the bolt. drilled a few holes ( one too many BTW), I found some other item, I have no clue what it was from but it worked as a "support" / bracket to give added reinfocemant to the thin aluminum ice tray.

here is the end result

One more pic!
I haul almost exclusively for the .mil, I had a run up to Norfolk and was planning on staying a day or two at my parents house and doing some riding with my pops (who has a Harely trike ) so as usuall a load up the XT on the trailer.

that is all, carry on
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 07:41 PM   #40
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy
Isnt it cool what crap you can use from the shed. Very clever truckin , nice job, be interested to follow and see how it goes with vibration ect. Also be interested in the garmin nuvi. Is that the 660. Are they water proof. Been looking at satnav for my work ute and if i can take on a bike even better.
No its not water proof, but it is crash proof
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245940
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:59 AM   #41
digger2
A Cad & A Bounder

Oddometer: 625
Garmin 350,660,200-What to buy

what is the best of the above to get? It will mostly get used in the car.
digger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 07:45 AM   #42
tvnav
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by digger2
what is the best of the above to get? It will mostly get used in the car.
The nuvi 660 would have the most features and the best display out of the 3 models you mentioned.
877-625-3546
AOL IM: TVNAVGARMIN
Please send private messages to gps@tvnav.com
tvnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:08 PM   #43
VStromNC
DNS/DNF

Oddometer: 760
Thumbs down Freakin Nuvi 360

I've had my Nuvi 360 for about 6 month. Great GPS for car environment. I bought a RAM mount for my Nuvi360 from Ebay and started reviewing all the threads from this forum and others to plan my route using mapsource to the twisties.

Here's the problem.
  • Nuvi 360 does not come with Mapsource CD as everything is preloaded. Easily solved by sending an email to Garmin Tech Support. Within a day of sending an email, I received a reply that I would receive a "courtesy" Mapsource CD- City Navigator NT v8. Cool.
  • Received the CD few days later, Installed and unlocked using my code that came with my Nuvi. No problem.
  • Now I found out that my NUvi 360 does not do "Routes" from my Mapsource to the Nuvi. It only does POI.
  • I read all of the threads on this forum and others, loaded POI's and it sucks because I have to load multiple POI's and tell my Nuvi to go to each POI as I go down the road otherwise it automatically reroutes to the superslab...
Am I doing something wrong?
Old 07-24-2007, 11:53 PM   #44
tvnav
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by VStromNC
I've had my Nuvi 360 for about 6 month. Great GPS for car environment. I bought a RAM mount for my Nuvi360 from Ebay and started reviewing all the threads from this forum and others to plan my route using mapsource to the twisties.

Here's the problem.
  • Nuvi 360 does not come with Mapsource CD as everything is preloaded. Easily solved by sending an email to Garmin Tech Support. Within a day of sending an email, I received a reply that I would receive a "courtesy" Mapsource CD- City Navigator NT v8. Cool.
  • Received the CD few days later, Installed and unlocked using my code that came with my Nuvi. No problem.
  • Now I found out that my NUvi 360 does not do "Routes" from my Mapsource to the Nuvi. It only does POI.
  • I read all of the threads on this forum and others, loaded POI's and it sucks because I have to load multiple POI's and tell my Nuvi to go to each POI as I go down the road otherwise it automatically reroutes to the superslab...
Am I doing something wrong?
It doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong.
877-625-3546
AOL IM: TVNAVGARMIN
Please send private messages to gps@tvnav.com
tvnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 04:15 AM   #45
Python423
TnAdvRiders.com

Oddometer: 1,273
I'd like to hear what you figure out. I'm trying to figure out a model to recommend to my brother. What does NT mean? will NT still install to Windows XP? I'd like to find one that comes pre-loaded so it will make it easier for him, but I'd also like him to be able to install the map on his computer so he can view tracks/routes. I'd also like him to be able to draw routes on the computer and send to the gps later if he so desired.

http://www.facebook.com/python423
Python423 is offline   Reply With Quote