ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-09-2007, 06:44 AM   #61
mp183
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Nuvi 250w using gpx or gdb files

Got a Nuvi 250w for my wife.
I thought I could use it on the bike when I go to those
places where a compass is a must.
Can you upload gdb or gpx files to this thing.
Not familiar with the subject matter so I'm a little confused.
I assume you can upload the files to a Garmin 2610.
Thanks
mp183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 06:58 PM   #62
pckopp
Aged Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp183
I thought I could use it on the bike when I go to those
places where a compass is a must.
Can you upload gdb or gpx files to this thing.
Not familiar with the subject matter so I'm a little confused.
I assume you can upload the files to a Garmin 2610.
Thanks
Typically, you can upload 4 things to a Garmin GPS:
1. map segments
2. Routes
3. Waypoints
4. Tracks (sometimes)

GPX and GDB files may contain some of these four things, but they are not what you upload to a GPS. If you use Garmin's MapSource to create or save tracks, waypoints and routes, you can save them in either GDB format (Garmin's native file format) or in the more universal GPX file format. This file format can be used by a wide variety of different software packages from different GPS manufacturers to Google Earth.

So, if you get a GDB file, you will need to open it with Garmin MapSource to see the contents and upload to your GPS any part of it you wish. If you get a GPX file and have a GPX-aware software package (Garmin's MapSource, for example) , then you can do the same assuming it will talk to your GPS.

Lots of new terminology to learn, huh?

Good luck!
Old 10-09-2007, 07:11 PM   #63
pckopp
Aged Adventurer

I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pckopp
Typically, you can upload 4 things to a Garmin GPS:
1. map segments
2. Routes
3. Waypoints
4. Tracks (sometimes)
BTW, this GPS is really designed for automotive use. It is not waterproof, to begin with and the SD card slot probably isn't sealed either.

Here is the link to the Quickstart Manual

This unit has City Nav NT preloaded, so item 1 on my list is N/A
The Specs page of the link above indicates 0 (zero) routes, so item 2 is N/A
That leaves 3 and 4. I would guess NO on #4

Still a fun toy, tho !!
Old 10-10-2007, 08:21 AM   #64
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,877
I do not believe that the nuvi 200W supports Route/Tracks uploading from a PC. Nor do I believe that you can SAVE a calculated Route on the nuvi 200W. Check your owners manual - if the spec's show Routes=0 then you are out of luck. I don't think you get Route(upload/download) support until you get to the nuvi 750/760/770 series.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 10-10-2007 at 08:26 AM
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:34 AM   #65
mp183
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the info.
Getting an education here.
The Zumo is for the wife.
The less features for her the better in her opinion.
Now for as to what to get for me.
A Garmin 2610?
I need something cheap.
If I break or use it I won't be upset.
I will only use it when going off the beaten path.
Not interested in using it on the slab.
That's pretty well marked and getting lost
is half the fun.

Now getting lost in the Adirondacks as the wolves howl is
another story. :-))

I would like to use the gpx & gbd files that are posted in
the link below
http://www.motorcyclecompetitioninc.com/Events.aspx

Thanks for all your help.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:27 AM   #66
pckopp
Aged Adventurer

I'm confused. In your first post you said
Quote:
And now it's
Quote:
The Zumo is for the wife.
The less features for her the better in her opinion.
I don't think the Zumo quite fits the less features for her the better model, but it's your money.

Quote:
Now for as to what to get for me.
A Garmin 2610?
I need something cheap.
If I break or use it I won't be upset.
I will only use it when going off the beaten path.
Not interested in using it on the slab.
You don't say what bike you want to use this on or whether battery operation is important or what kind of maps might be useful.

That said, I'm not sure I could recommend a 2610 for off the beaten path use. It is quite a large unit and maybe more importantly, has not been produced by Garmin for at least a year or two. All that are available are refurbs and overstocks.

It main pluses (IMO) are a large screen, cheap common CompactFlash memory card use and a relatively low price. It used to come with a version of City Navigator on DVD and if you get a large enough memory card, you can load all of it and not have to use a computer again. At least for that.

It's primary minuses are its size, weight, a touch screen and no battery. Most folks find the touch screen a bit of a hassle with gloves on. If your bike doesn't have a battery then you need more stuff to make it work. Also, the USB interface is USB 1.1 and not that fast. Folks report have trouble loading large map sets.

Looking at the link you posted, it looks like this might be single track, real dirt bike stuff. If it is, then you are probably going to want a GPS that has a rugged offroad mounting system and maybe one that can operate on batteries, depending on your particular application. If it is just two-track and forest roads then maybe a RAM mount will suffice.

There are lots to choose from, but a Garmin GPSMAP 60Cx and a good mount from Touratech would be a good place to start. If you want a bigger screen, then look at a GPSMAP 276C or even swipe the wife's Zumo if that's what she really has. Be sure and get a good solid mount for your dirtbike. The 60Cx and 276C don't come with any maps so you'll need to get those seperately.

If you don't want or need auto-routing highway maps and all that goes with it, then maybe a copy of 'Topo' or 'US Recreational Lakes and Fishing Hotspots - East' map packages might be all you need. One advantage of either of these is that they show the rivers and streams and lakes. City Nav only shows the very large ones.

OTOH, the current version of City Nav V8 NT has an amazing amount of detail about forest roads and backcountry in general. You can go to the Garmin site and see what the coverage of various map packages is. This is especially useful if you are familar with an area already. Sometimes when you pop out of the backcountry, it's nice to know where the nearest gas station is.

Quote:
Thanks for all your help.
No problem. Always fun to help spend someone else's money.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:08 PM   #67
mp183
Gnarly Adventurer

Ment Nuvi not Zumo.
Zumo in my dreams.
She wants to re-do the bathroom.

The Garmin GPSMAP 60Cx sounds good.

mp183 screwed with this post 10-10-2007 at 03:37 PM
Old 10-27-2007, 08:37 AM   #68
Ga. Grizz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Nuvi 350 and 360s

My wife has a 350 or 360 ordered for me for my birthday and I am lost when it comes to techno stuff, I know I have a problem and am dealing with it. Surfing forums for info is as much time as I can take on a computer. I read you cant download routes into these which looks like a good feature but I would never do it anyway. So that is not a major issue. Does anyone have any time with these units on motorcycles, any tips on use or mounting would be great. Thanks for understanding my handicap.
Ga. Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 06:04 PM   #69
VStromNC
DNS/DNF

Oddometer: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga. Grizz
My wife has a 350 or 360 ordered for me for my birthday and I am lost when it comes to techno stuff, I know I have a problem and am dealing with it. Surfing forums for info is as much time as I can take on a computer. I read you cant download routes into these which looks like a good feature but I would never do it anyway. So that is not a major issue. Does anyone have any time with these units on motorcycles, any tips on use or mounting would be great. Thanks for understanding my handicap.
I have a 350. You cannot download routes but you can download POI's or Points of Interest. By putting various POI's in combinations, you can simulate the actual route although still not as easy as planning your entire "route". Note that your Nuvi did not come with Mapsource as mine did but all you have to do is to send an email to Garmin Support and they will mail you whatever version your Nuvi currently uses free of charge. You have to first register your unit in My Garmin.

I bought a Ram Cradle for it and I have gone off road and superslab riding many times with it. If it starts to rain, simply slip a sandwich ziploc bag over it and pop it back into your Ram cradle. I also use a Amplirider amplifier so that I can listen to MP3 and GPS while riding with my er6i earphones. I just bought a 4 gig sd card for the Nuvi and so I can now load many more MP3's.

You will like the Nuvi although the 350 maybe more suitable for bike use due to it's smaller size.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:01 PM   #70
Ga. Grizz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Thanks for the info. The weather was something I was worried about, I never thought about a ziplock back. I will also make sure to drop garmin a e-mail. Thanks again.
Ga. Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 02:39 PM   #71
maxxgraphix
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Nuvi 750 and bar mount

I just got a Garmin Nuvi 750. xmas gift. I know this is not a bike GPS and it's not water proof. I found bar mounts (17mm ball with clamp) on ebay for $30. Will this be stable and not fall off for on road use?
http://www.bigstickers.net
maxxgraphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 05:11 AM   #72
bdearlove
Well Hung

Oddometer: 125
If you can, put a little bit of Velcro on the mount and Nuvi, I had a Car-only GPS and used it for some time on my bike, it was stable, but the velcro added that extra peace of mind.

The Nuvi 750 is pretty pricey I believe, I would suggest getting a cheap GPS for the bike, last thing you want is a few drops of rain to kill it.

bdearlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 06:54 AM   #73
richc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,607
It probably won't fall off, but the vibration might kill it.
richc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 06:56 AM   #74
maxxgraphix
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
It was a gift and I can't take it back or exchange it. I was going to add a tether to the GPS and mount. Since I don't ride much in the rain I don't think it will be an issue. I can always just grab it off the mount to my jacket pocket.

The Nuvi 750 has a wonderful screen and is stupidily easy to use.
http://www.bigstickers.net
maxxgraphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:07 PM   #75
brfinley
Brooster

Oddometer: 426
I just gave my wife a Nuvi 760 for Christmas. I took it out of the box before wrapping it to charge it up and load in some waypoints, pictures, and MP3s. It was so impressive that I was immediately jealous. A motorcycle-friendly version of the Nuvi would be excellent. Maybe the Zumo is a little like that. I'm not familiar with it and I probably won't be any time soon. GPSs are not cheap dates.

I would worry about the lack of waterproofing, keeping it attached, and maybe vibration if putting it on a motorcycle. One solution for vibration is to do something like RKA put together. They will configure their tankbags with a RAM mount and wiring for GPS and comm devices. You could probably put a RAM ball on most any tank bag by this method.

The Nuvi uses a nice clip-in mount/interface with a Garmin propriatary ball mount. There is a RAM adapter to fit this ball mount. You would bolt the adapter into a standard diamond base RAM ball and then it can be attached to whatever RAM mount you like. Unfortunately, I don't think the Garmin clip in mount is strong enough. Its OK for a car, but it seems to me like a good bump on a motorcycle might pop it out, either the Nuvi from the cradle or the Garmin ball mount itself. You might be able to do something with 3M Dual Lock. If you haven't used Dual Lock fasteners, you should really check it out. It is what Velco becomes when it grows up. Very strong, very secure and doesn't wear out. It is expensive but worth it. I get it by the foot at a local electronics supply. I think they stick linemen to power poles with it.

Another possibility is the RAM AquaBox (large). It is waterproof, and might help with vibration if you could pack it with the right kind of foam. If you put the Nuvi on the docking cradle then in, the power/interface cable connects in a way that would probably fit through the cable port in the AquaBox. I haven't tried this, but I have been thinking about it.

I'd be interested to hear what you come up with.

BRF
brfinley is offline   Reply With Quote