ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-27-2010, 09:23 AM   #16
kraut.burner OP
Smells güt!
 
kraut.burner's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Trenchtown
Oddometer: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymindsok
1) The horsepower has nothing to do with whether you need adequate brakes or not and the brake on your bike is not adequate for todays conditions but I guess you're going to have to figure this out yourself. Good luck.

2) Without mufflers, your bike will tend to run lean, to very lean. it's not about warping valves, it's about burning em.

once again, good luck.
Makes nothing but complete sense. Am now looking into muffler and suspension choices. Thank you
Any good places to look for the progressive forks?


Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm
The Bucket Seat has to go, of course!
As for the seat, don't worry, it's already gone
Not the style I was looking for in this project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm
You're not going to get a modern bike's performance out of it, so concentrate on the sweet spot of that bike for what it is: vintage cool. Ride it hard, wind 'er out and let the valves sing!! And put some silencers on there, for our sake...
Amen brotha this bike is exactly what you said, "Vintage cool."
And when it's done, its going to be treated the same way. Now thats also not to say i'll never let the daemons out once in a while either
kraut.burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:59 AM   #17
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer
 
mcma111's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco,Ca.
Oddometer: 10,866
Powder Coating

When I did my R100gs complete with everything that was black, frame, crash bars, luggage and more and they only charged me $280.00

http://www.leonspowdercoating.com/
__________________
Steve in SF

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:07 PM   #18
kraut.burner OP
Smells güt!
 
kraut.burner's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Trenchtown
Oddometer: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111
When I did my R100gs complete with everything that was black, frame, crash bars, luggage and more and they only charged me $280.00

http://www.leonspowdercoating.com/
Big up's to you my man!
kraut.burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:53 PM   #19
CDONA
Home of Vortex tuning
 
CDONA's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Based in Sedona Az. But rolled to there> >
Oddometer: 67
I installed "S" bars on my '74 R90/6 when new. I think they are still available but not @ $60. anymore.
__________________
Kingman Az.
CDONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:52 PM   #20
kraven
Hegelian Scum
 
kraven's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Asheville NC
Oddometer: 4,762
Fork brace by San Jose BMW:
http://www.sjbmw.com/parts.asp?mid=5...c=&p=2&pid=877
I installed these braces on a pair of a customer's R90's and they firmed up the feel of the front considerably.
It's a worthwhile investment if you have the coin.

Progressive springs for the forks should be located after you secure an alternate front end with dual disc setup already attached or decide to change lower "legs" on your stocker to accommodate brakes.

SanJose BMW has a full line of neato go fast stuff for airheads like billet triple clamps and such.
http://www.sjbmw.com/parts.asp?mid=5...id=54&p=1&src=

Quote:
Kraven isn't a dumb as his avatar!
Oh yes I am!
__________________
So there I was walking into a biker bar in Chattanooga with liberty spikes on my head and a drag queen beside me... - bcurvin
kraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:40 PM   #21
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: NOR CAL
Oddometer: 3,303
Actually San Jose has the remnants of a "full line of neato go fast stuff" and it's going to take some searching to find the good stuff.

There are several companies offering good to "spectacularly good" shocks,

Real racing parts here: http://www.motoren-israel.com/en

A growing list of imported parts here: http://www.eurotechmotorsports.com/index.cfm

Plastics here: http://www.boxercafe.com/ and here:http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/

Frame stiffening parts here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=613364

Rear sets here: http://www.rearsets.info/bmw_rearsets.html

and lots more on Ebay, (Where you can sometimes even find old Lufty parts!)

So what do you want to do and how fat is your bank account?
__________________
Hawkdude

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:49 PM   #22
squish
Out of the office.
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Where the Ghetto meets the sea.
Oddometer: 5,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraut.burner
You know, I've actually done quite a bit of research about warping valves and the like, but I find just as many convincing counter arguments. As for the pipes, I was planning on making a 2 into 1. Sort of like a shorty config.
But I am interested in hearing your thoughts!

I doubt you can hear much running around with straight pipes.

There are/is a million ways to make that bike more quiet while keeping it still good looking.

The easiest is just some JCwitney parts and move up the food chain.

There are also tons of pieces of advice on how to get the right performance out of your pipes, but again if your running straight pipes now
back pressure is not an issue for you so I'd say performance be damned and go for looks (it's a BMW after all it's not like it's going to be a rocketship)

As for paint and finishes. I say take it down to the frame, clean up and replace broken stuff and leave the patina.
You get the best of both worlds that way. A functional bike that has history.

far too many bikes get over restored lately.
Remember a bike is only original once.
__________________
On vacation for a spell

squish screwed with this post 08-27-2010 at 10:38 PM
squish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:29 PM   #23
kraut.burner OP
Smells güt!
 
kraut.burner's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Trenchtown
Oddometer: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymindsok
Actually San Jose has the remnants of a "full line of neato go fast stuff" and it's going to take some searching to find the good stuff.

There are several companies offering good to "spectacularly good" shocks,

Real racing parts here: http://www.motoren-israel.com/en

A growing list of imported parts here: http://www.eurotechmotorsports.com/index.cfm

Plastics here: http://www.boxercafe.com/ and here:http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/

Frame stiffening parts here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=613364

Rear sets here: http://www.rearsets.info/bmw_rearsets.html

and lots more on Ebay, (Where you can sometimes even find old Lufty parts!)

So what do you want to do and how fat is your bank account?
Thanks for the links, a lot of good stuff in there. My parts list is getting bigger and bigger. My wallet is doing the opposite


Quote:
Originally Posted by squish
I doubt you can hear much running around with straight pipes.

There are/is a million ways to make that bike more quiet while keeping it still good looking.
True, earplugs are what keep me sane. Im looking into different muffler options..... Anyone out there have a favorite set of pipes they'd recommend? Im trying to keep as much of a "race-y" sound as possible.

Quote:
far too many bikes get over restored lately.
Remember a bike is only original once.
Amen. Im trying my hardest to keep it original. It might get a new paint job, but nothing that would make Ed Hardy proud.
kraut.burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:48 AM   #24
kraven
Hegelian Scum
 
kraven's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Asheville NC
Oddometer: 4,762
That's why I suggested things to upgrade the bike's capability in traffic.
I wouldn't screw with the engine or the paint too much at all.

It's cool as shit right now. Even that seat.
__________________
So there I was walking into a biker bar in Chattanooga with liberty spikes on my head and a drag queen beside me... - bcurvin
kraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:24 PM   #25
Lornce
Lost In Place
 
Lornce's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Way Out There.
Oddometer: 17,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraut.burner
True, earplugs are what keep me sane. Im looking into different muffler options..... Anyone out there have a favorite set of pipes they'd recommend? Im trying to keep as much of a "race-y" sound as possible.
Try these.

I used to run Epco peashooters on a healthy boxer with serious compression. It had the unmistakable tone of a sharply tuned race motor, and I used to love to hear it play in the twisties.

Don't think I'd run the same pipes today, though. Guess I'm getting older, societally conscious and a little more considerate of my neighbours.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:27 PM   #26
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin
 
oalvarez's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: CA HWY 2
Oddometer: 2,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraut.burner
My parts list is getting bigger and bigger. My wallet is doing the opposite
That's what motorcycle loving Uncles are for! Let's chat soon, Niko, you're a real inspiration. Did I mention how proud I am of you?

Best success with the renovation and rebuild, I know how much you love this stuff.

Regards,
__________________
2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R
2012 Vespa 300 Super
past: Ducatis, Aprilias, Moto Guzzis, a Husky, and some BMWs as well.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:27 PM   #27
fyr
iRoast Coffee
 
fyr's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Bytowne, Canuckistan
Oddometer: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce


That's nice.
I keep seeing this bike and continue peeing myself. Damn SWEET!

To the op, Lots of good advice here and lots to pick through. However I agree with squish, it's only orig once. Ill be following this build up as I have some plans of my own (re-position master brake cyl and springs)
__________________
"Don't threaten me with a dead fish"
10 Ypan Patrol
07 Bonnie T100
84 R65
Gonzo- 08 Ural G/U, 77 R100S, 01 Bonnie, 2x KLR's, Wee, Ninja's, CBR's, yadda yadda...

fyr screwed with this post 08-29-2010 at 03:33 PM
fyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:05 PM   #28
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: NOR CAL
Oddometer: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce
Try these.

I used to run Epco peashooters on a healthy boxer with serious compression. It had the unmistakable tone of a sharply tuned race motor, and I used to love to hear it play in the twisties.

Don't think I'd run the same pipes today, though. Guess I'm getting older, societally conscious and a little more considerate of my neighbours.

I agree most heartly.

I bought a pair of Hoske Repros a couple years ago and being used to stock BMW mufflers, they drove me crazy for the first couple of weeks.... That is until both my Significant Other and my closest neighbors (We live in a very close, very quiet community!) told me how much they like the sound of my bike and that they also liked the fact that it wasn't too loud.

I'd say try the Hoske's and without the baffles the R100 sounds like a very healthy Ducati.
__________________
Hawkdude

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:50 PM   #29
kraut.burner OP
Smells güt!
 
kraut.burner's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Trenchtown
Oddometer: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez
That's what motorcycle loving Uncles are for! Let's chat soon, Niko, you're a real inspiration. Did I mention how proud I am of you?

Best success with the renovation and rebuild, I know how much you love this stuff.

Regards,
Smile's from ear to ear bro Honestly, thanks much for the support. Will call sometime this week

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyr
To the op, Lots of good advice here and lots to pick through. However I agree with squish, it's only orig once.
Yes most definitely. Im now having good second thoughts about bead blasting anything at all keeps the look, and saves $$$ too

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymindsok
I bought a pair of Hoske Repros a couple years ago.....I'd say try the Hoske's and without the baffles the R100 sounds like a very healthy Ducati.
Consider them put on the list
kraut.burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:57 AM   #30
kraut.burner OP
Smells güt!
 
kraut.burner's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Trenchtown
Oddometer: 460
Laugh R75/6 cafe build... the saga begins

Alright, after dealing with x girlfriend crap, I motivated my ass enough to get up and get this thing on the road. I cleaned the garage- made space for a parts rack, and organized my tools- and started taking apart the bike. Enough talk. On to the pitchers

One last look


a look at the coils




starter relay: it's going out and will be replaced


starting to come apart


right carb


left carb


controls and everything, gone


not too shabby


right intake


left intake


parts inventory center


ok. ill admit i can be a smart ass


parts bin and old oil


the spine of it all


down to almost nothing. My buddies stopped by for a little support


electrics


some things need replacing


all done for today.

thinking about all the possibilities.....



.... and just, what the shit did I get myself into


Enjoy everyone. Im off to bed.

kraut.burner screwed with this post 09-01-2010 at 08:42 AM
kraut.burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014