Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2010, 06:59 PM   #46
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,411
nice lookin mirrors my man, i hope you get to enjoy them.

great idea in ordering the seal/gasket/spring/bolt kit....gotta start at the beginning.

what's up with that mini chunk-o-steel? wouldn't make me super happy finding that either, but perhaps it's not integral/vital as you say.

persevere and continue in your efforts....no stopping this rebuild.

much love,

uncle o
Old 09-16-2010, 07:08 PM   #47
kraut.burner OP
Smells güt!

Oddometer: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez
nice lookin mirrors my man, i hope you get to enjoy them.

great idea in ordering the seal/gasket/spring/bolt kit....gotta start at the beginning.

what's up with that mini chunk-o-steel? wouldn't make me super happy finding that either, but perhaps it's not integral/vital as you say.

persevere and continue in your efforts....no stopping this rebuild.

much love,

uncle o
Well hello there my friend

I figured I would get the engine work done while it was still in the frame, more of a stable platform. Less B.S-ing around while its out, just pop it right back in when the frame's all done and painted.

But your right. This train has left the station and its all uphill from here

Quote:
1975 BMW R90S/6 (Daytona Orange)
Yesssssssssss

kraut.burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:23 PM   #48
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,411
wouldn't have pulled the trigger if it wasn't for you.

back to your regularly scheduled R75 rebuild program
Old 09-16-2010, 08:28 PM   #49
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,513
Yo, mate.

I assume that's an aluminum booger..?

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:33 PM   #50
kraut.burner OP
Smells güt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude
Yo, mate.

I assume that's an aluminum booger..?
Correct

Old 09-17-2010, 10:13 PM   #51
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraut.burner
Looks like i've found a reputable machine shop that specializes in engine work specifically for motorcycles. They'll be getting a call from be by the end of the week for quotes and such....

For you bay area people The shop is Engine Dynamics in Petaluma http://www.enginedynamics.com/

If anyone's heard of this place speak up!

I was lucky enough to receive these sexayyy CRG hindsight ls mirrors, as a gift from my new airhead twin Oalvarez

It'll be interesting to hear about how things go for you over at Engine Dynamics. I know about them but simply never took the time to drop in and size the place up.

As you may not know, most of the local independent shops here in Santa Rosa, send stuff out to "Empire Head Shop" They mostly work or race cars but they do very good work on Airheads (A parts apart you know!) And I use Kosman Specialties in Windsor for my Fab stuff. Great guys!

You'll love those CRG mirrors once you get used to em. If you have the "Lane Splitters" it's really kool to be able to fold the mirrors out of the way when you park your bike. Unfortunately for me, I'm not crazy about the convex glass but I'm going to see if I can get at least one flat mirror for mine. Oh... And you'll almost certainly need the internal mirror mounts that slip into the bars!

Hey PM me and if you're close by, we should hook up and talk bikes!

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.

Hawk Medicine screwed with this post 09-18-2010 at 11:24 AM
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:43 AM   #52
kraut.burner OP
Smells güt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymindsok
It'll be interesting to hear about how things go for you over at Engine Dynamics. I knoe about them but simply never took the time to drop in and size the place up.
You know, I actually posted a thread in the garage, and regional cali forum. Even though I got tons of reviews about ED, petaluma might be a little too far due to the fact that I was referred to another reputable shop in berkeley. Being an Alameda cat, I guess its just logical
I checked out their website: http://hasselgren.com/ seems pretty legit?

I know I've probably mentioned in other threads I was gonna call to get quotes by the end of this week. But ya know how it goes -

Quote:
As you may not know, most of the local independent shops here in Santa Rosa, send stuff out to "Empire Head Shop" They mostly work or race cars but tey do very good work on Airheads (A parts apart you know!) And I use Kosman Specialties in Windsor for my Fab stuff. Great guys!
Man if distance wasn't a problem, i'd be checking all these places out.... sounds like some great stuff. we'll have to see if the guys up in bizerkeley are still cognizant when I show up

Quote:
You'll love those CRG n mirrors once you get used to em. If you have the "Lane Splitters" it's really kool to be able to fold the mirrors out of the way when you park your bike. Unfortunately for my, I'm not crazy about the convex glass but I'm going to see if I can get at least one flat mirror for mine. Oh...
My uncle had them on his duc's..... absolutely stylish, and functional. I just really loved the convenience of having them down by the grips, it was super comfy. But you're right, it does take some getting used to looking through those bubble mirrors

Quote:
And you'll almost certainly need the internal mirror mounts that slip into the bars!
oh well what do we have here?

Quote:
Hey PM me and if you're close by, we should hook up and talk bikes!
Santa Rosa's a little trek from little ol' Alameda, but one of these day when I'm done with my bike we should definitely get something together

cheers!

Old 10-04-2010, 03:26 PM   #53
kraut.burner OP
Smells güt!

Ok little update... I've been kinda busy with other things around the house, not too much time spent with the bike.... Also, between having to get a new cat for my car (to pass smog) my budgets shrunken once again so new parts are on hold for a bit...

I did manage to order a complete engine gasket and seal kit from Hucky's along with some other extras from max's BMW:

The bike as it sat as of this afternoon:

I did spend a little time this past weekend cleaning some of the parts I pulled off the bike in a makeshift parts cleaner; Consisted pretty much of a tub filled with some acetone and wire brushes of different dimensions.

The Oil pan was the hardest to clean, the gasket was as hard as a rock and took a day's worth of soaking in acetone just to be able to scrape it off bit by bit..... but it all came out nicely. The timing chain cover was covered in rust, but nothing a little elbow grease and compressed air cant handle:

Last week the rear swingarm came apart with no problem:

Now, I posted a thread a while ago talking about washers on the transmission output flange bolts... The consensus was that BMW issued a technical update switching to smaller bolts and ditching the need for the washers.... Well, as I pulled apart the final drive, look what happened to be floating around in the area around the pinion :

Looks like the previous tech was just being an ass.....

Moving on now... Transmission came out today as well... From the pics it looks like we can all agree the rear main seal is busted:

Splines are still in great shape so Im happy about that... Um thats all for now. Engine parts should be sent out to engine dynamics in petaluma sometime later this month or next...

Old 10-11-2010, 10:41 AM   #54
rkatapt
Indo-Kraut

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze Red Baron
Do you know where one can find a replacement top cover that takes care of the airbox section as well? That is just righteous
Boxer Cafe makes them in fiberglass. They are not on the site but he had some prototypes at the "NTNOA Rallye" a couple of weeks ago. Something like $85 or $90.

Email them...
rkatapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:27 AM   #55
kraut.burner OP
Smells güt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkatapt
Boxer Cafe makes them in fiberglass. They are not on the site but he had some prototypes at the "NTNOA Rallye" a couple of weeks ago. Something like $85 or $90.

Email them...
cool thanks man! I was able to find These

But they're a little too expensive for my budget at the moment. My dad's work has a design shop that can fabricate pretty much anything when it comes to thin aluminum sheeting.... I was possibly just going to make a cover for the starter void, and keep that area above the transmission open.... I dig the empty look

Old 10-11-2010, 11:32 AM   #56
rkatapt
Indo-Kraut

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
cool thanks man! I was able to find These

But they're a little too expensive for my budget at the moment. My dad's work has a design shop that can fabricate pretty much anything when it comes to thin aluminum sheeting.... I was possibly just going to make a cover for the starter void, and keep that area above the transmission open.... I dig the empty look
Cafe Beemer has some cool shiet, but they are proud of their stuff.

Dunno if he still making them, but I ended up with a toaster tan. I had to be patient as their email is more like snail mail.
http://www.pbase.com/toastertan/custom_top_brace
rkatapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:37 AM   #57
kraut.burner OP
Smells güt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkatapt
Cafe Beemer has some cool shiet, but they are proud of their stuff.

Dunno if he still making them, but I ended up with a toaster tan. I had to be patient as their email is more like snail mail.
http://www.pbase.com/toastertan/custom_top_brace
lots of good lookin goodies

Old 10-11-2010, 11:59 AM   #58
sparkymoto
learning a lot here

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
lots of good lookin goodies
toastertan is the way to go for top brace in my opinion. Price was great for the quality and fit. As for the cap on the back of the engine, I'm going to make my own as well and incorporate a better set-up for my breather tube and "catch can"... Here's a link to interesting oil breather info that is worth the read: bmwscotter.org
Good Spark Garage < Rummaging Through Moto-culture - Stories, Pics, Bikes, Vids
sparkymoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:38 PM   #59
kraut.burner OP
Smells güt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkymoto
Here's a link to interesting oil breather info that is worth the read: bmwscotter.org
Fantastic

Old 10-14-2010, 03:01 PM   #60
kraut.burner OP
Smells güt!

Alright so after a little shopping around for machine shops. The place that struck me as being the most knowledgeable, and overall comfortable to work with was.... Engine Dynamics!
Just finished hand delivering my heads and cylinders to Mike to get my work done. He really is a good guy and knows his stuff well.

As far as the work goes:
- Im getting the cylinders honed to fit new rings,
-the piston heads are getting blasted
-The heads are being disassembled, cleaned, 3 angle valve grind, as well as new springs, keepers, and upper retainers

Price wasn't astronomical granted that he's doing all the exterior blasting and washing as part of the job.... And I'm more than willing to pay what I will have to, having the peace of mind that Mike and his colleagues gave me.

According to Mike, a lot of their business is dealt through means of delivery, hardly any walk-ins....Sparky check them out if you're planning a teardown... PM me and we can talk prices that Mike gave me.

Two thumbs way up for Engine Dynamics of Petaluma! Hopefully by next week I'll have some pics up of all the completed work