Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2010, 11:17 PM   #16
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k
Yes, I much more enjoy reading through 100,000 posts of "cool" and "awesome" to read a RR.
Lighten up Francis. If he posts 20 photos per post and all 10 posts on a page are his, everybody will suck all 200 photos every time they check in for updates. Guess what that does to his picture bandwidth?

And to you, loading the same photos again, every time you want to see the updates?

3-5 pictures per post and a couple of 'cool' and 'awesome' posts will keep that down to about 30 pictures per loaded page. I'm pretty sure that's suggested around here somewhere on tips for posting ride reports.
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:45 PM   #17
z987k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey
Lighten up Francis. If he posts 20 photos per post and all 10 posts on a page are his, everybody will suck all 200 photos every time they check in for updates. Guess what that does to his picture bandwidth?

And to you, loading the same photos again, every time you want to see the updates?

3-5 pictures per post and a couple of 'cool' and 'awesome' posts will keep that down to about 30 pictures per loaded page. I'm pretty sure that's suggested around here somewhere on tips for posting ride reports.
my browser does a cool thing called caching.
z987k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:51 PM   #18
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,567
All my pictures are linked from my facebook. Yes, facebook.

I'll elaborate when the mood strikes.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:37 AM   #19
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,878
Awesome.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:53 AM   #20
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,061
Great stuff!
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:47 PM   #21
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

A couple more random trips: A friend wanted to show me another couple loops, so off we went:

We checked out the Tehachapi loop just as a train was driving over itself.

We were going up some 1-lane road mountain pass covered in debris when a park ranger coming the other direction stopped us.

The road was closed ahead. We were almost where we needed to be, though. We turned around anyway and decided to look for a shortcut because the paved route would have added a couple more hours.

Lo and behold, a couple miles later, we find a 10 mile gravel shortcut. I didn't think twice.

Upon crossing over the top and going back down the other side, my friend passed me giving the hand motion of revving his engine. His bike was off.

I felt like a buffoon for idling it the entire time down the mountain when he just used gravity. Haha.

Upon crossing the Sierras, there were mile long 80mph sweepers and high wind gusts. I stopped to get a pic of this waterfall (to the left), but it doesn't do the scene justice.

On a later trip through Yosemite, I took few pictures. Whilst crossing Tioga pass (9943 ft), I snapped this picture.

More to come..

Old 08-31-2010, 08:33 PM   #22
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude
On a later trip through Yosemite, I took few pictures. Whilst crossing Tioga pass (9943 ft), I snapped this picture.
Man, you earned that picture. You parked your bike at Sherman Pass, walked all the way to Tioga Pass, turned around and used the Hubble Telescope just to get that shot?

(are we allowed to heckle in ride reports?)
Old 08-31-2010, 08:47 PM   #23
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

You gotta do what you gotta do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey
(are we allowed to heckle in ride reports?)

I'm going off memory here, man! Isn't that on the Tioga Pass road?

crazydrummerdude screwed with this post 08-31-2010 at 08:53 PM
Old 08-31-2010, 09:07 PM   #24
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Quote:
I'm going off memory here, man! Isn't that on the Tioga Pass road?
That's the sign in the parking lot at the Sherman Pass summit.

http://www.sierranevadaadventures.com/?p=2100
Old 09-02-2010, 04:23 PM   #25
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Another random ride.

There were barriers and signs saying "road closed".. but just enough space to squeeze by them. I found out why.

I kept going and went to the dead end of it.

This area was pretty cool because the trees had grown into the road so much, there was a thin path all the way through.

On the way home, I took another loop (Green Valley) and did the downhill section powered off.

Ok, time for a real trip.

I got out of work on Thursday night and left for San Francisco. I was still fairly broke at this time and wanted to "covert camp."

By dark, I was approaching a rest area that I planned on just sleeping under a picnic table or something. Turns out, it was closed for renovation. I figured that's a good thing because there's no way the construction crew's gonna be working on the 4th of July weekend, so I found a bush and put up my tent where no one could see me.

At 4am, I awoke to a diesel truck driving right past me. It's the construction crew. Damn it. I quietly loaded up as truck after truck kept arriving. It was eerie. 4:30am, dead silent except for hammering and sawing. No one was talking or listening to music.

After I was suited up, I'll bet they were all surprised to see the bush turn its headlight on and start its engine. I was outta there.

I rode up to check out Alcatraz, and got there early. So, I walked around the Embarcadero and found a submarine to explore.

I popped out and still had enough time to tour the liberty ship sitting next to it.

Then, it was time for Alcatraz.

After leaving, I was so tired I told myself I'd check into the next hotel I saw.

It was the most expensive hotel I've ever stayed in. Oh well.

The next day, I went to the missile base.. Story to come.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:21 PM   #26
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Knowing that it's free to go north on the Golden Gate and hearing that the Bay Bridge is basically 1 big cheese grater, I set off again with no real destination.

Upon leaving the hotel, I was in stoplight hell getting out of San Fran.

My brother texted me, telling me to go to the missile base up there in Marin. So, I set off. I got to the park hq building and saw that the missile base has an open house every first Sunday of the month. Well, it was Saturday. Ugh.

I went to another bulletin board, and there was a flyer for a book singing about the base.. at the base.. and there's an open house at this very moment. I headed over there.

They raised and lowered a Nike a couple times, showing it off.

These were spinning..

New old stock?

They had the "logistical" (if that's a word) hardware down from the mountain-sides, too.

Then, we got to ride the missile elevator down into the room.

..while some middle aged guys talked about the specifics of working in a Nike base. Interesting stuff.

After the base, I rode around the bunkers a bit and came up to this one.

I walked down it and checked out the other side.

There used to be a BIG gun here. It was such a short trip, I was going to sneak my motorcycle back here and take a pic for BubbaZanetti, referencing a thread he had a long time ago.

I pulled through and rounded the bend when I looked back and saw a truck sitting where I took the first picture. Some guy in it started honking and waving at me. I pulled back through and up to him. "You can't go over there!" he said in THE whiniest voice I've ever heard. I gave him a shrug as if I didn't understand what he said and he picked up a phone and started dialing. I left.

There were no signs that said I couldn't go through and he was in an unmarked car. I am the biggest advocate for saving/preserving old buildings, and I am confident that I was hurting nothing.

I then headed up north via various roads. I heard 36 was THE road to ride in California.

On the way, I saw an exit called "Drive-Thru Tree Rd." So, I took it.

The lady in line behind me got out of her car and started taking pics. I looked back and saw a Missouri plate. I asked her where she's from, and it's about 50 miles from where I live. Small world. She took my picture.

She took a few more but I realized I had my camera set on manual focus, so they didn't turn out too well.

No one was coming, so I snuck my bike back around and took a couple more.

I continued on..

The ride to Fortuna, the roads around there, the weather, the atmosphere.. It was all very cool. Some of the most memorable scenes of my whole summer.

I got the last room in the local hotel (a smoking room), so I figured I needed to smoke. I got some cigars and met some other BMW riders at the gas station. They told me they just did 36 and it was incredible.

I walked down a couple more blocks and had a sandwich at the local eatery while I read the local news paper. I looked up between bites and the author of the last story I was reading was sitting 2 tables away from me. Had he not been talking with a female friend, I would have sat down and started talking with him.

The next day, I rode 36 to Red Bluff.

Uh...

I think I built it up too much in my mind. Just another twisty road. The middle stretch was the best, but still, of the 144 miles, maybe 40 was actually, slightly memorable.

I was getting pressed for time (being up by Oregon and needing to be down by Mexico, afterall) so I took 5 down to Sacramento and various roads further down.

Somewhere halfway down, I pulled off to get gas/food. I was once again blindsided by the California method of making an exit ramp from the highway but not an entrance to. So, I hopped back on northbound and found an emergency u-turn-around-spot. I pulled through and was waiting for the pack of cars to my right to catch up and pass me but guess who was the first car in the pack. A cop. He turned his lights on and pulled over. I turned my bike off and layed down on my tank with a look of defeat. He pulled up, said something on his intercom that I did not understand at all, gave me the WTF shoulder shrug and pulled back onto the highway, slowly. I waited a minute and pulled back on, too.. keeping my following distance from him. Eventually, he disappeared, and I was back cruisin' on my way home.

Whilst near San Fran, I called my friend and asked to crash at her place that night. She agreed. I drove through the city as the fireworks went off. It was a chilly and foggy night. I struggled to get a decent parking spot on the hills of SF, but eventually found a spot where I fit, and where my engine compression kept the bike stationary. When I arrived at the door, her boyfriend answered and had no idea who I was. She had gone somewhere for ice cream. After she got back, and a few more awkward silences, we determined that I actually went to high school and graduated with her boyfriend.. but neither of us knew each other. It was about 11pm when I mentioned that I didn't know if I parked in a decent spot based on the street cleaner sign. They had no assistance, so I had to go back out and find a parking garage within moderate walking distance. First one I pulled to, the entrance door was closed and it said full. I approached the exit and... just... went around the gate and parked in a motorcycle spot. $7. Peace of mind. When I got back to the apartment, her boyfriend was still talking about 1) bar-hopping, and 2) calling it an early night. Thankfully, his friends were at some party far away (and also don't have cars) so I didn't have to be the party-pooper (I was pooped, after all). The "early night" of theirs ended at dawn after we watched a few crappy movies, though. I fell asleep to the sound of SF waking up.

More to come.

crazydrummerdude screwed with this post 09-09-2010 at 08:28 PM
Old 09-09-2010, 09:14 PM   #27
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,558
I think every night in SF is chilly and foggy. At least every one I've been there for.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:59 PM   #28
BusyWeb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
BusyWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:39 PM   #29
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Random trip:

One co-worker reminded me that there exists a gap between the two tunnels on Angeles Crest. I was going to stop there anyway, but made it my focus on this trip.

No one noticed me.

One thing I thought was strange; most bikers made a habit of tootin' their horns in the tunnels.

I went down that drain you see on the bottom right.

This was the view from the other side.

Another random trip:

Another coworker offered me a ride. It has a boxer engine, so I'll add it to my "report."

Tehachapi wind farm, from above:

We had breakfast at another airport.

..and hit some turbulence on the way back. By this time, traffic was increasing. Randon plane:

Another weekend trip:

I was headed up to the SF region again, but stopped by the Winchester house on the way. The didn't allow pics there.

But, if you're going, I suggest getting the "Behind the Scenes" tour. It's like $5 more, but it literally doubles the tour.. and 3 of the original 15 of my tour group went on it. It just so happens, they were from Missouri, too. Odd.

The next day, I went to the Penngrove Power-Up. I was in heaven. They fired up as many as would fire.

Chuff, Chuff, Chuff, Chuff..

Hey, this looks like my shaper..

Line-shaft; awesome. I need line-shaft power in my shop.

Apparently, I am too shy, and I was in my own little world drooling over all the old iron. I missed the chance to meet a few advriders who were there. Oh well; next time..

More to come.

Old 09-11-2010, 05:20 PM   #30
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Quote:
I went down that drain you see on the bottom right.

Is there still a hole in the center of that tunnel? Did you have a flashlight?