Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2010, 12:00 AM   #46
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider88
crazydude,looks like youre 36 year old beemer is well preserved.i had a 69 R60/5 way back in the in the 70s.how long have you owned yours?
Well, I got this bike in 2004 (when I was 18 years old) in exchange for mowing someones grass. Having sat for 20-25 years, it didn't run and many things were completely buggered. I rebuilt a lot of it, and hit the road. It's been my daily driver since, and I love it. Right now, it's about ready to receive a facelift in my shop.. but I've got so many damn projects, I don't know where to begin.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:01 PM   #47
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Ok, so I left off at the Penngrove Power Up.

Another weekend trip:

My mom was going to be in Lake Tahoe one weekend, so I decided to visit her.

On Saturday, my coworker joined me on a trip through Yosemite. We took a detour down a former stage coach trail:

..and slabbed it to Yosemite. Upon arriving at the gate, there was a long line of cars. Just before entering, my headers started to smoke a little, so when we got through the gate, I was ready to blast off and cool the bike down. Before leaving the gate, the park ranger informed us that the road was under construction all through the park, and several motorcycles turned around because of the rough condition.

Once proceeding through it, I was always waiting for the bad part, but it never came. Hell, the gravel sections were smoother than my driveway!

Looking down on where we'd be in an hour:

People are too cautious sometimes. When approaching this waterfall, they were delicately lowering their hands and scooting along and bracing themselves and taking delicate steps. If you just walk like a normal person, you can.. walk like a normal person. So, I just passed them all for a view.

On the way back out:

We rode all through the park, through the tunnel, etc. Very cool, very big park.

I usually just wing it, everywhere I go.. but all the campgrounds were full in and outside of the park. Upon exiting the park and getting back down to 395, it was about to start getting dark, and my coworker split south while I went north.

Mono Lake is right there at the intersection:

I passed several small towns, hoping to find lodging near Bodie ghost town (my destination for the next day). Full, No Vacancy, no rooms...

Finally, just north of the Bodie exit, a mom-n-pop motel had a room. The lady behind the desk gave me a couple sodas and talked about my midwestern accent. I don't have an accent... :ha

The next day, I figured I'd spend some time in Bodie. Well, I ended up spending all day.

This guy did the same purr-growl thing my cat does when you're pettin'.

The tour of the stamping mill is free, so I got in line. Well, it turns out you need to present a token to enter, so I had to go get it and wait another hour for the next tour.

It was worth it. They had some cool old machinery in there still. The lady giving the tour acted as if it was 100 years ago, and we were prospective employees. Upon entering the machine shop, she asked if anyone was a machinist. I raised my hand, and in an "oh yeah.." kinda tone, she asked me to identify all the equipment in the room, such as:

I identified everything she asked of me, and at the last one, she acted like it was a real brain-buster. Without hesitating, I identified it as a shaper. She responded; "Wow, of all the people who've claimed to be a machinist, none ever get this right!"

I left there that afternoon sunburnt, with only a little bit more to go before Lake Tahoe. They label their roads kinda funny over there, so I had to ask for directions. It was one of those instances where it was less helpful than actually guessing, but I made it anyway.

Again, all the campgrounds and almost all the hotels were full. I started going up the western side of the lake and pulled into one hotel. $140 for a room? No. Couple hotels later; $90? FINE.

I got some booze and snacks and watched tv. I saw some sportbike riders pull in over on the other side of the hotel, so in a very non-crazydrummerdude way, I decided to walk up and start talking to them. Maybe it was the booze talking.

The next morning, I met my mom and had lunch with her. Sat around for a little bit longer, trying to ride the storm out and when it ceased, I was outta there.

Down over the mountain and back on 395, it started raining and sleeting immediately. Unfortunately, the clouds were hangin' too low and scraped across the mountains, emptying their contents all along my ride; north of Bodie all the way to Lake Tahoe and from Lake Tahoe all the way down past Bishop. Stoimin'/rainin'/frownin'.

There was a (small) rockslide on the road next to Mono Lake.. instead of just driving around it (there was NO on-coming traffic), the lead car in the pack I was approaching slammed on their brakes and stopped completely in the road. At this point, I was ignorant of the rockslide but the road was a river at this point, and I hit my brakes fairly hard, but not that hard.. and there goes the rear end. The back tire wanted to catch up with the front by coming around my left side; here's the wind-up and the pitch.. didn't happen. Right as it caught traction again the bike snapped into a wicked shimmy that I had to dance on top of to control. It was all over in about 1.5 seconds. Thank God for my following distance. I stopped with space to spare. Pulled over at the next gas station where some Harley riders were taking a break and we laughed about the "pucker factor."

When I finally got out of the canyons and back into the official desert, I started to dry out and warm up. A bit of riding after dark (which I wasn't looking forward to), and I was home at like 10:30pm.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:42 PM   #48
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,591
I've found that when hotel or motel rooms are supposedly all booked up that along with some begging and pleading I try them on to let me have the vacant Handicapped room.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:37 PM   #49
RussellH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Great report, awesome pics and what a cool bike! How do you find its brakes and power at highway speeds? Specially around here where everyone's doing 80mph+. My 1982 450cc Nighthawk can keep up but doesn't have a lot of passing power at those speeds nor the brakes. Just doesn't feel very confidence inspiring from the stability perspective either. However, it'll do 60-65 all day long.
RussellH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:21 PM   #50
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellH View Post
Great report, awesome pics and what a cool bike! How do you find its brakes and power at highway speeds? Specially around here where everyone's doing 80mph+.
Well, I've survived a few miles on this bike, so it must be ok. I was flogging it pretty hard on I-5 a few times, going ~95 (indicated). I felt bad for it, but I was being passed on all sides; NOT something I'm used to in the midwest (where everyone goes 53 mph). My R90/6 is more powerful, but I didn't have it with me..

I forgot I didn't finish this off!

Where was I? Ok. Another week of work after the Lake Tahoe visit, and I was off again!

The morning of my departure, my friend came over to ride with. Off we went to Oxnard to tour Haas CNC. It was about an hour of heavy fog and pretty dang chilly before we arrived.

Big tool changers:

Cool mill:

After lunch, we decided to ride up Highway 1. I was headed to a tech day on Saturday in Pleasanton. My friend and I rode up to Monterey together.

Some lazy seals..

Once approaching Monterey, the other folks on the road got crazy. Time and again someone was trying to pass someone else at the wrong time, and people got driven off the road. I was glad to get off 1 and head east. My friend said goodbye, and I realized.. I didn't have a map. Nor did I know how to get to my destination. :ha

Oh well! I was getting pretty familiar with San Francisco by now, and made my way to 101 and 680. Just around sunset, I called the guy whose house the tech day was going to be at, and confirmed that he'd have space for me (I emailed him in advance). I arrived. He and his daughter stayed up chatting/drinking with me for a while, and I laid down reading the new BMW ON (which I hadn't yet seen) before I fell asleep. In the morning was the tech day.

There were some nice bikes there.

I actually gave this new airhead some pointers about his 74/75(?) /6. As if I know what I'm talking about! Haha..

R60/6 with a /5 toaster tank:

mymindsok's ride.. Nice!

Well, I ate lunch, shot the breeze, picked up some free tools some guy was giving away to several people, and I headed back to LA. I worked a few more days when on Wednesday, one of my brothers came to California. While I finished out my work week, he went to San Francisco on his own to check out Alcatraz, abandoned bunkers, and other cool stuff. He actually saw more of that than I did, and I'm jealous!

Well, except... he was running late and had to make up some time, so he just ran down a hillside at the Marin Headlands instead of taking the trail. Two days later, some swelling started, and 3 days later, it was time to head home to Missouri! My time in California was over! :(

During the drive (particularly through the barren stretches of the desert from LA to Williams, AZ) he was suffering from his "poison ivy." I tried to get his mind off of it, but he was starting to freak out a bit. We stayed at a hotel in Albuquerque that night and I was in communication with the guy I eventually bought my /2's from. The next morning, my brother was plump! He's skin-and-bones normally, but his arms legs, and cheeks were about twice their size and puss-y! (Puss e, people!)

His fingers were swelling up and he couldn't bend them (or his arm). We had to stop at an emergency room in Oklahoma City for some treatment and a 3 hour detour. By the time we arrived in St Louis, he was much better, but his less-swollen skin looked like there were purple slimey earth worms on it. Haha. I made the entire summer trouble-free, but got pulled over at 2am about 2 miles from his house for a turn signal out. They caught me.. They finally caught me!

We made it back home in mid-August. My truck rolled over 200,000 miles on the way to LA in May, and didn't punish me at all during the trip. In September, the transmission went out.

I've finally got around to fixing it.

There it is. The end!

PS: My mom wanted pics of my apartment for some reason. I'll include them below. This was while I was living there (before I moved out). I'm a party animal!

Bedroom:

Kitchen/dining room/living room:

What is someone supposed to do with all that space? Give me a shop, not a dining room!

crazydrummerdude screwed with this post 12-02-2010 at 07:26 PM
Old 02-10-2011, 04:25 PM   #51
azcycle
Chihuahua Wrangler

Oddometer: 703
Great report. My folks were born/raised in Northern California (Loleta) and went to high school in Fortuna. We'd spend every summer visiting my grandfolks up there and I've always fantasized about riding the r65 through the redwoods.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:23 PM   #52
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcycle View Post
Great report. My folks were born/raised in Northern California (Loleta) and went to high school in Fortuna. We'd spend every summer visiting my grandfolks up there and I've always fantasized about riding the r65 through the redwoods.
Thanks.

Go for it!