Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2010, 04:50 PM   #16
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Klr650
Mine did but the dealer tag shredded itself on the rear tire and spoke with the ranger sunday morning and went over the legalities of what was needed to make the DR street legal. Very nice guy.......... it could have went much worse than it did. He just told us to make sure the DR was legal before bringing it back up there.

Yeah those dealer tags don't last very long. I reckoned it wouldn't have taken long for you to meet a ranger where you were camping, that place is too heavily populated with trout humpers. You're pretty lucky he didn't ticket you.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:05 PM   #17
06Klr650 OP
RidingCountry.com

Oddometer: 106
Ok that's it for tonight! :p

Tomorrow we'll have some

Fast fire rd

some single track stuff

Some water crossings

one lazy ass KLR

and of course relaxing by the fire

See ya all tomorrow :hi:
RidingCountry.com
06Klr650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:07 PM   #18
06Klr650 OP
RidingCountry.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor
Yeah those dealer tags don't last very long. I reckoned it wouldn't have taken long for you to meet a ranger where you were camping, that place is too heavily populated with trout humpers. You're pretty lucky he didn't ticket you.
He was actually really nice and only gave us a verbal. It was worth it though to get to spend some time with my son before he's off to boot camp. Hopefully by the time he's back from Paris Island I'll have DR street legal for him.
RidingCountry.com
Old 08-30-2010, 06:27 PM   #19
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,616
Great way to spend some time with your son. He certainly has a big adventure ahead of him.

When then engineer designed the rear fender & license plate holder for the KLR, he must of been on something. KLRs are known for eating their license plates. I had to relocate mine AND bend the tag back.

That Single track you rode was probably not legal, if the ranger caught you, it would be a ticket.

Good report so far, looking forward to the rest.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:04 PM   #20
06Klr650 OP
RidingCountry.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator
Great way to spend some time with your son. He certainly has a big adventure ahead of him.

When then engineer designed the rear fender & license plate holder for the KLR, he must of been on something. KLRs are known for eating their license plates. I had to relocate mine AND bend the tag back.

That Single track you rode was probably not legal, if the ranger caught you, it would be a ticket.

Good report so far, looking forward to the rest.
I was thinking the same thing about the single track but it looked like someone else had ridden up it recently and there wasn't the normal "Foot Travel Only" sign you see on must of those trail heads.
RidingCountry.com
Old 08-31-2010, 05:08 PM   #21
06Klr650 OP
RidingCountry.com

After Mikey and Jeff switched places we headed off down the trail past the suspension bridge parking area. We had been to the bridge several times but due to the road conditions we never went any further with cars, but with the bikes that wasn't a concern and to be honest the worse the road the condition the more fun the riding was.

The trail ended up Dead ending down towards the toccoa river. At the very back of the turn around was a truck trail leading down the hill towards the river so we figured what the heck! Why not.

Everything was going great until I decided to drive through a small puddle at the bottom of the hill. The puddle turned out to be deeper than I thought and very very slippery!! When my front tire washed, I planted my foot and it slid out causing me to do a split! Mikey tried putting his foot down to help slow the fall but his foot slid out from under him

So here we are both doing splits lying on our sides, me with the bike half on me and him trying to hold his moms camera up out of the mud

It was one of those slow motion fall overs that just makes you sit back and laugh at yourself.

Once we got the bike stood back up, we let it sit for a minute and walked down the river to wash some of that stinky ass mud off us.

RidingCountry.com
Old 08-31-2010, 05:14 PM   #22
06Klr650 OP
RidingCountry.com

After a quick dip in the toccoa to rinse off that stinky mountain mud we were back on the bikes and on the move.

Without having any real game plan we just wandered around the trails, most of which in that area turned out to be dead ends but were still a lot of fun to explore.

Many of the trails went off the main road for a few miles and just stopped, but even so there was something cool to see on almost every trail.

RidingCountry.com
Old 08-31-2010, 07:13 PM   #23
06Klr650 OP
RidingCountry.com

We spent the rest of the evening exploring some wide flat track and by the looks of it was freshly groomed

The freshly groomed roads made for some easy but fun fast riding. Just a little burp of the throttle and bikes would drift around the corners effortlessly :tu:
With a couple little creek crossings thrown in there to cool us off :-)

We found a cool little single track later in the evening, but it was getting later in the evening and there wasn't enough light in the woods for any decent pics so we decided to call it a night and head back to camp for some much needed grub and adult beverages!

RidingCountry.com
Old 08-31-2010, 07:15 PM   #24
06Klr650 OP
RidingCountry.com

Once we got back to camp it was time to relax, have a few beers and cook some hot dogs over the open flame and work on the ride report.......... it doesn't get much better than this!

After having a few laughs about the days ride we settled in to a warm campfire and spent the rest of the night just relaxing. It was a beautifully calm clear night with temps down in the low 60's....perfect for sleeping in tent!

More Single track stuff and maybe a couple more short videos as well
RidingCountry.com
Old 09-01-2010, 03:56 PM   #25
06Klr650 OP
RidingCountry.com

We finally hit the sack around midnight and despite having a busted cot( half the springs missing) I slept like a rock!

We rolled out of bed about 7:30am packed up the camp and headed up the road to where we had left off the night before.

The only difference was this morning I was following ( playing catch up ) in the truck. I felt like a support vehicle for a race team..........the only time I caught up with Mikey and Jeff was when they needed a drink or they stopped to snap a quick pic of my sorry butt trying to catch up.

About an hour up the rd( for me) and few miles pass the fish hatchery, we reached the trail head to the single track we spotted the night before.

That's when I went to grab my iphone and snap a couple pics of Jr and realized I didn't have it :-( I asked Jeff if he had seen it this morning and he said the last time he had seen it was hanging in the screen pouch in the tent........... Come to think of it, that was the last place I remember it too
So we unpacked the tent and sure enough there it was............I can't believe we didn't crush it trying to roll/stuff the tent into the tent bag.

RidingCountry.com

06Klr650 screwed with this post 09-01-2010 at 04:02 PM
Old 09-01-2010, 05:09 PM   #26
06Klr650 OP
RidingCountry.com

For the life of me I can't understand why they make those tent bags so friggin small!!
Amazingly enough my iphone was still intact and low and behold I had two text messages from the mrs wondering when we were coming home. But we weren't going anywhere until we explored this trail.

The trail starts off wide enough to drive a jeep down but quickly narrows and ends up blocked by a few fallen trees.

After the trees the trail narrows pretty quickly. I'm guessing due to the fact not many vehicles make it past that point. shortly after the trail narrowing we came to a spot where the trail had washed out from heavy rain I'm guessing running off the mountain. Someone actually took the time to carry 2x4's up the trail and make a little foot bridge so as not to get there feet wet.

Not that we really needed them but since they were there we tried to cross on them so we didn't tear up the hill or the muddy soft spot to bad.

RidingCountry.com
Old 09-02-2010, 11:44 AM   #27
Thorne
Sherpa-ing around

Oddometer: 1,204
Enjoyed the RR...

Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:56 AM   #28
Visian
Look out!

Oddometer: 1,653
thanks for the report.

are you aware of Georgia's ORV areas?

looks like you're ready for them.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:32 PM   #29
06Klr650 OP
RidingCountry.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visian
thanks for the report.

are you aware of Georgia's ORV areas?

looks like you're ready for them.
I've heard of them but never been. I'm heading back up to Suches tomorrow to do a little more exploring :) The rest of the family will meet me up there sat afternoon for a little holiday weekend camping. :)

I'm leaving the DR at home this time
RidingCountry.com
Old 09-03-2010, 01:37 PM   #30
Kirtsky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Nice!

Where does one find what is legal and what is not legal to ride on in Georgia? Meaning bikes and trails.