btretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:39 AM   #17
Coastie3202
King of the Mountain

Oddometer: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discojon75
Who's up for riding this weekend?
Definitely me. Thinking Sunday morning ride to Cloudcroft, then down to Mayhill, backroad back up to Sunspot Hwy, then we can decide from there. What ya guys think? We gotta show Bernie all our roads and I need to get the Suk out for my first ride on it other than back and forth to work.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:06 PM   #18
btretired OP
anal retentive

Oddometer: 1,029
Let's lay a battleplan this evening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastie3202
Definitely me. Thinking Sunday morning ride to Cloudcroft, then down to Mayhill, backroad back up to Sunspot Hwy, then we can decide from there. What ya guys think? We gotta show Bernie all our roads and I need to get the Suk out for my first ride on it other than back and forth to work.

"00" Road King (105K and climbing)
yeah I own a Harley
"01" 11Fiddy GS-
Old 09-01-2010, 02:39 PM   #19
Discojon75
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Just past Mayhill is a great place to catch trout... a little spring-fed farm pod.. Slightly pricy, but the trout are delicious!
Discojon75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:43 PM   #20
StinkyCheese
Red or Green?

Oddometer: 716
I'd like to join you all sometime. Booked up this weekend but maybe another time?
StinkyCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:54 PM   #21
btretired OP
anal retentive

Thumb

OK-- clue me as to where City of the Crosses is?? Never mind-- Google is your friend...

No matter ---
if your close enough-- lets ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyCheese
I'd like to join you all sometime. Booked up this weekend but maybe another time?

yeah I own a Harley
"01" 11Fiddy GS-
Old 09-02-2010, 05:16 AM   #22
Coastie3202
King of the Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by btretired
OK-- clue me as to where City of the Crosses is?? Never mind-- Google is your friend...

No matter ---
if your close enough-- lets ride!
City of Crosses is Las Cruces. I think I can speak for everyone over here in Alamogordo when I say.....LOVE TO HAVE YA, COME ON OVER.

Enjoyed the visit with you and your wife last night Bernie. Great to have someone in town who enjoys the same things that me and my wife enjoy. I sense a lot of miles coming our way.

I hope I did not give Disco too hard of a time last time with my jabs at pilots. All in good fun. Once he figures out my sense of humor he will understand...I hope.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:18 AM   #23
Coastie3202
King of the Mountain

Quote:
Stinky, great riding on both sides of the mountains. Come on over our way, and we will come your way. Love the ride from Cruces to Hatch, or the ride from Cruces to El Paso on the back road. More great miles of smiles.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:13 AM   #24
StinkyCheese
Red or Green?

Oddometer: 716
Quote:
Stinky, great riding on both sides of the mountains. Come on over our way, and we will come your way. Love the ride from Cruces to Hatch, or the ride from Cruces to El Paso on the back road. More great miles of smiles.
Thanks for the invite! I'd love to head over sometime. You are right about good riding on both sides of the moutain. I do the ride to Hatch fairly often. The southern route down through Mesilla is great when the pecan trees have all thier leaves. It provdes a cool canopy to ride under.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:28 PM   #25
Coastie3202
King of the Mountain

Quote:
Thanks for the invite! I'd love to head over sometime. You are right about good riding on both sides of the moutain. I do the ride to Hatch fairly often. The southern route down through Mesilla is great when the pecan trees have all thier leaves. It provdes a cool canopy to ride under.

Oh Yeah. And you gotta stop at Stohman's for a cup of coffee or some ice cream. Plus all their free food samples.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:18 PM   #26
btretired OP
anal retentive

Bluhduh

Well-- Helga got a new shoe yesterday in anticipation of tomorrows ride with Coastie and DisocJon. I got it put back on in between bouts of frustration working on a leaky sprinkler system.

So I took her out for a few minutes to scrub in the tire so it's not totally fresh tomorrow. Probably about 40 miles or so--
Don't new tires look good?

I stopped and topped off the tank as well so I'm ready to go tomorrow. About 1/2 mile from the house I turned into a neighborhood to see what is going on in there. First left hander I make I felt a funny bumping like I had a rock stuck in the tread. I stopped to check on it-- and rolled the tire around to see this!!

WTF!!

This tire has less than 50 miles on it. I could literally see my house and knew if I pulled it there on the spot and it had penetrated the casing I'd be screwed and flat quite quickly.

So I rode gently home and extracted it-- no giant hissing noise and I'm waiting now to see if the pressure drops. I may have dodge a bullet and it stayed in the meat of the tire causing no harm..

Wish me luck!

yeah I own a Harley
"01" 11Fiddy GS-
Old 09-05-2010, 04:08 PM   #27
Astir
Adventuress

Oddometer: 195
How fun to see pictures of my old stomping grounds!
Astir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:33 PM   #28
btretired OP
anal retentive

Cool2 9-5-10 Update inside!

Well-- got some folks together from here in Alamogordo for a little Sunday "Run to the Hills". DiscoJon, Coastie and his friend Randall showed up on my doorstep as planned at 0730 ready to ride.

That's DiscoJon on the left riding a BMW 1150R, Coastie is in the center and he is riding a new to him Bandit 1200 which he got a hellauva deal on. Next to him is Randall who first heard of ADV today and he was on a Tiger. I couldn't take "Helga" my 1150 today because of the tire incident from yesterday-- so instead I took "Roxanne" my beloved Road King. She was more than up for hanging with the the others in the twistys today. I've had her since new (2000) and she now has almost 103K miles on her..

We headed up the mountains into the early morning sun-- it was quite bright. Stopped in Cloudcroft and added a layer under the mesh because it was kind of chilly. ( I love the weather here!)

Coastie fired off one moving shot earlier to see if he felt comfortable doing so, I think he said he wants to practice a bit more!

Roxanne doesn't have the tank bag set-up like Helga so I couldn't squeeze off any shots while riding today. But take my word for it-- the riding was great!!

We got off 82 in Mayhill and took the back way to Sunspot highway.

Stopped at this spot and Coastie said it used to be quite the attraction-- but it's seen better days. Of course it's off the beaten path as well!

I felt like a midget around all these long legged fellas today--I'm the old fat guy in the middle!

When we headed toward Sunspot and Timberon --Randall cut off as he had other things to tend to. Coastie is supposed to hook him up with a link here and maybe he'll join in..

The next stop was Timberon-- and OMG what a fantastic road-- I'll get some shots when I get Helga up there. Coastie said it had only been paved for a few years-- I told him I wanted to kiss the person that did it!!

But it's pretty much the end of the line when you get to Timberon and you either need a dual sport to go the back way into the valley or return on the same road.. I had no problem with that. While we were there we hit the Mall.

Now Disco asked the lady running it if it had a restroom-- she said it was out of order and proceeded to tell him where he could drive to back up the road to find some facilities.. Damn young whipersnappers-- we were in the mountains and with tree's all around-- GEEZE-- walk out back already..

Can anyone spot the bathrooms??

Anyway-- enough flipping crap at the youngster-- We headed back from there and I think I tallied about 140 miles and home before lunch.. I had another great day (morning) of riding and have made some new riding buddies! Look forward to more adventures out this way! Many thanks to Coastie for adding a few extra pic's for this report!!

BT out!

yeah I own a Harley
"01" 11Fiddy GS-
Old 09-05-2010, 08:04 PM   #29
Discojon75
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Great ride today! I did that back run down on my new (to me) 2001 KLR yesterday... what a blast! The KLR is coming out in the morning for a trip up La Luz canyon, followed by a jaunt back towards Timberon then up to Sacremento, NM and Weed NM. My plan is to ride back down to Pinon, then take that county road back to Timberon.
Discojon75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:40 PM   #30
jachew
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by btretired
Well-- Helga got a new shoe yesterday in anticipation of tomorrows ride with Coastie and DisocJon. I got it put back on in between bouts of frustration working on a leaky sprinkler system.

So I took her out for a few minutes to scrub in the tire so it's not totally fresh tomorrow. Probably about 40 miles or so--
Don't new tires look good?

I stopped and topped off the tank as well so I'm ready to go tomorrow. About 1/2 mile from the house I turned into a neighborhood to see what is going on in there. First left hander I make I felt a funny bumping like I had a rock stuck in the tread. I stopped to check on it-- and rolled the tire around to see this!!

WTF!!

This tire has less than 50 miles on it. I could literally see my house and knew if I pulled it there on the spot and it had penetrated the casing I'd be screwed and flat quite quickly.

So I rode gently home and extracted it-- no giant hissing noise and I'm waiting now to see if the pressure drops. I may have dodge a bullet and it stayed in the meat of the tire causing no harm..

Wish me luck!

What is with you and new rear tires? I have a set of Bridgestones with 3K which would be better suited to your riding karma

Bernesto, aka btretired, after he stabbed my wife's poor defenseless rear tire on her new bike.
jachew is offline   Reply With Quote