Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2011, 12:43 PM   #61
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by afulldeck View Post
I don't have the G4 yet, but I am wondering how hard is it to hear music with the wind noise through a full face helmet. Do you need to have the volume up fully. Will it be hard on the ears? I have tried ear buds in the past, but at highway speeds the wind noise overtakes the volume. Typically, I just have sponge ear plugs to deaden the wind noise.
I don't listen to a lot of music on the bike, but I can tell you you can have a phone conversation easily so I am guessing music would be easier to hear than 1 person talking.
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:56 PM   #62
afulldeck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog View Post
I don't listen to a lot of music on the bike, but I can tell you you can have a phone conversation easily so I am guessing music would be easier to hear than 1 person talking.
I like to listen to not only music but talk show programs while riding with ear plugs in...
afulldeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:44 PM   #63
samaza
intercontinental

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Hey man, the G4 has noise reduction technology on the microphone and wind volume control which will work fine in a faullface helmet. Users with lid helmets and half face helmets are usually the ones with win in the microphone problems.

Whether you go with the G4 (probably the best option) or not, always place the microphone close to your lips and the more inside the helmet the better.
You have to give the microphone the best chance to work to its potential.

Just wrote a review on the blog of the G4 if you´re interested to know more.

My latest blog post: In Review: OTC 1545 Personal Motorcycle Lift
samaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:51 PM   #64
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,712
I thought his question was about being able to hear music not talk on the mic. My point was that if you can hear someone well enough to have a conversation I dont think music will be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaza View Post
Hey man, the G4 has noise reduction technology on the microphone and wind volume control which will work fine in a faullface helmet. Users with lid helmets and half face helmets are usually the ones with win in the microphone problems.

Whether you go with the G4 (probably the best option) or not, always place the microphone close to your lips and the more inside the helmet the better.
You have to give the microphone the best chance to work to its potential.

Just wrote a review on the blog of the G4 if you´re interested to know more.
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:10 PM   #65
afulldeck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
I thought his question was about being able to hear music not talk on the mic. My point was that if you can hear someone well enough to have a conversation I dont think music will be a problem.
Yes, I was only asking about music. The point about the phone and talking might be moot. It is conceivable that noise reduction only works when the mic is on for phone/intercome useage...... None of the reviews have really come out and said, every device used you can hear under highway conditions....
afulldeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:24 AM   #66
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,042
Quote:
Yes, I was only asking about music. The point about the phone and talking might be moot. It is conceivable that noise reduction only works when the mic is on for phone/intercome useage...... None of the reviews have really come out and said, every device used you can hear under highway conditions....
I ride with earplugs in, and typically run the volume on the lowest or 2nd to lowest setting. When I start moving, the volume increases (forget which setting I selected.

You can hear music clearly.

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:27 AM   #67
Isorg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
I don't have the G4 yet, but I am wondering how hard is it to hear music with the wind noise through a full face helmet. Do you need to have the volume up fully. Will it be hard on the ears? I have tried ear buds in the past, but at highway speeds the wind noise overtakes the volume. Typically, I just have sponge ear plugs to deaden the wind noise.
The earbud mod, and a pair of ER6i headphones... fixed all of my volume not loud enough problems..... volume can get to loud now!
Isorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:13 AM   #68
carlt828
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
I ride with earplugs in, and typically run the volume on the lowest or 2nd to lowest setting. When I start moving, the volume increases (forget which setting I selected.

You can hear music clearly.
+1 I have my iPhone 4 paired to my G4 and last Saturday I was listening to the XM app while on a street ride. I wear foam ear plugs also and had the volume turned down a few clicks. When a call came in, the XM faded out and back in after the call was over.

I haven't had a desire to listen to music while riding either, especially if I'm going along at a good clip, but after "testing" it, it sure was nice on the way home while taking it easy.

When I first got it, I paired the G4 to my Zumo 550 and the 550 to the iPhone. Dialing through the phone book uploaded on the 550 was hit and miss, mostly miss. The 550 also didn't show incoming calls that I missed either. I took the 550 out of the loop and now voice dialing via the G4 worked flawlessly. I had just updated both the iPhone 4 and the Zumo 550 so I don't know which upgrade caused the problem. Before I got the G4 and upgraded the iPhone and 550, they worked well together. I couldn't answer a call but I could see it come up on the gps screen. I updated the G4 right after I bought it too.

I haven't tested the intercom function yet. I split a G4 Powerset pair with a buddy for a trip to Colorado this summer. He just seized his motor last Friday so it might be a while before I can.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:16 AM   #69
carlt828
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Has anyone used the "Click to Connect" feature available in the new software? I haven't seen anything on how to actually do it.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:22 AM   #70
mboni
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlt828 View Post
Has anyone used the "Click to Connect" feature available in the new software? I haven't seen anything on how to actually do it.
I haven't used it, but they did release a new version of the user manual that gives instructions:
http://www.cardosystems.com/user_fil...al_english.pdf
Essentially, just double-tap the A button to request a click-to-link call. Tap A or speak up to answer, after you hear a call tone.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:36 AM   #71
FrozenViking
Thawing

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by JurgenB View Post
Yesterday we had two Cardo G$ and one Schubert SRCS (made by Cardo). It took a while to figure out how to pair them up but eventually it worked great. Distance limit Schubert to Cardo was about 800 - 1000 ft.
Does anybody here know if it is possible to link up the Schubert SRCS and the X-Lite N-COM X-Series (it would be integrated on an X-lite 551)? ... If not does anyone know how to connect two different brands of helmet coms?
FrozenViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:22 AM   #72
ADW
'tard bike restos

Oddometer: 513
Range in forest conditions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mra35 View Post
My wife and I got a set of the G4s this last spring and have been very happy with how they work. The only issues have been a limited range while riding trails in dense forest.
What kind of range were you getting? I'm interested in the real-world range of the Q4's under ADV conditions.

A way to test it that I've used with other radios is to have one person stay still, but with their bike running to keep the electrical interferences and etc. normal, then have the other person ride away from you down the trails/road through the tree cover and etc. Have them watch their odometer and call out to you every tenth of a mile. When the signal starts getting too weak or scratchy to be acceptable, there you go. That's your maximum range.

As an example of the above, with Motorola EM1000R family radios (and Motocomm helmet wiring rigs) we got an honest 1.0 mile of range through winding Kentucky dirt roads with very dense tree cover and decent elevation changes. Wondering what the actual max range under decent cover is for a Q4 to see how they'd compare. Thanks!
Old 04-14-2011, 10:27 AM   #73
ADW
'tard bike restos

Oddometer: 513
Talking Just use the Mobile button

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatte View Post
Just picked up a G4 powerset the other day and am really happy with them so far except that my computer (Win 7 32-bit) won't recognize the units when I plug them into the usb port. I turn them on using the mobile and volume + buttons like it shows in the Update program but there's no "ding" like you get when something is plugged into the computer and it's recognized. I've un/re installed the Cardo Update program several times and keep getting a message that says I dont have Administrator privledges, eventhough I am. Anyone have similar issues or ideas on how to fix this?
As others have noted, installing the software in Win7 requires that you right-click the setup.exe program you download from Cardo and select the Run As Administrator option.

However, I had the same problem you did getting the PC to recognize the G4 once the software was installed. Turns out you need to push ONLY the Mobile (center) button to turn on the unit, then it'll see it just fine. Pushing both the Mobile and Volume Up buttons together must be for an older version or something. Once I got pissed off enough to start trying other button combinations than what the instructions said I discovered that using the Mobile button only to turn it on let the PC find the Q4 just fine.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:55 PM   #74
Nabucco
Enfant Terrible

Oddometer: 555
Volume issues with Zumo 660

I just bought a G4 right before embarking on a long road trip so I am learning to set it up on the fly. So far I love this unit, easy pairing, good crisp intercom and music. I do have a volume issue with my Zumo 660 though. The sound and volume of the Zumo's media player is just as I would have expected it, but the volume for the navigation instructions and the phone (relayed through the Zumo) is significantly lower than the music (I'd say only 25% of what the media player puts out). I have checked all my settings (master volume and navigation / media are all at 100%) and have cranked the volume on my G4 all the way up (Zumo seems to hand over volume control to the G4) but no dice.

Firmware on both Zumo and G4 are up to date.

Anyone know what's up with this and/or can recommend a solution?
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:34 AM   #75
Planespotting
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Question

I can hear everything fine except the phone. I turn the volume all the way up but it is still too quiet.

With my iPhone 4 and Parrot in the car I have to adjust the volume using the Parrot each time I answer a call. I turn the volume knob and see the Bluetooth volume on the phone's display go up. With the G4 nothing happens and it is way too quiet to hear whoever called me. My volume is fine for whomever is on the other end so it is just my ability to hear. Has anyone else experienced this and/or found a fix for it?